E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
sillitan

My Ride: 328i
Bleeder Valve Screw

My 2000 328i was overheating and spitting coolant all over. Saw that the bleeder screw was missing so I bought a new one and when trying to put it in realized the the old one broke and there is still half of the screw in the hole, andy ideas on how to get it out so I can put the new one in??
sillitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
K:^P

My Ride: 00 323//65 Fastback
It's plastic. Drill a hole and use a screwdriver to extract it out. If not then just buy a new hose, it isn't too expensive.
K:^P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
when mine broke what i did was with a lighter i heated the tip of a small flat head screw driver then pushed it down on the broken screw....it will melt onto the flat head screw driver....wait a few seconds for the plastic to cool off and just spin the flat head.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Unless it's been done within the last 60k or so miles, I'd recommend performing a complete cooling system overhaul. Otherwise you're likely to keep having one problem after another with the cooling system.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
sillitan

we flushed the system a couple of months ago but that was all.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
supratter

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Unless it's been done within the last 60k or so miles, I'd recommend performing a complete cooling system overhaul. Otherwise you're likely to keep having one problem after another with the cooling system.

.. amazing how from a simple bleed screw removal it's recommended to perform a full overhaul, if it was the water pump or the thermostat I agree but a bleed screw?
supratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratter View Post
.. amazing how from a simple bleed screw removal it's recommended to perform a full overhaul, if it was the water pump or the thermostat I agree but a bleed screw?
I wasn't suggesting the overhaul based on the failure of the bleed screw. Clearly the bleed screw can be fixed without replacing anything other than the screw.

I was merely stating that if it had been over 60k miles since the cooling system was overhauled, that it would be a wise idea to perform this service sooner rather than later. BMW uses lots of failure prone plastic/composite parts. Laugh all you want but waiting for your cooling system to fail can be an expensive gamble. Simply replacing the bleed screw on an aging cooling system would be like patching a bald tire - it fixes the leak but leaves a bigger problem just waiting to happen.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
supratter

I'm well aware of the POS parts BMW used on their cooling system, I just don't see any reason to do a cooling overhaul just because of the mileage of the car if all it's wrong with it it's the bleed screw, as stated if the water pump breaks or the thermostat then I would agree with you since pretty much everything has to come off to replace one or the other and tackling an overhaul would be wise in this case for piece of mind and to save from doing the job twice but you can remove the bleed screw without even removing the upper hose, and considering that's everything that's wrong with it I see no reason to do
Old 06-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
TxZHP04

Quote:
I'm well aware of the POS parts BMW used on their cooling system, I just don't see any reason to do a cooling overhaul just because of the mileage of the car if all it's wrong with it it's the bleed screw, as stated if the water pump breaks or the thermostat then I would agree with you since pretty much everything has to come off to replace one or the other and tackling an overhaul would be wise in this case for piece of mind and to save from doing the job twice but you can remove the bleed screw without even removing the upper hose, and considering that's everything that's wrong with it I see no reason to do
It's called preventative maintenance. If you want to wait for your cooling system to fail then by all means, go right ahead. Just remember that aluminum motors don't take well to overheating.

Personally, I don't like being left stranded on the side of the road so I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
sillitan

on the other hand, you have to be prepared to shell out the cash to do the overhaul! Thanks for the advise though, who would think a screw could be so problematic!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
supratter

and I agree with the preventative maintenance to an extent, I just don't believe in changing the idle control valve, miscellaneous hoses, disa valve because they tend to go out just because the intake boot cracked
Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
TxZHP04

Quote:
and I agree with the preventative maintenance to an extent, I just don't believe in changing the idle control valve, miscellaneous hoses, disa valve because they tend to go out just because the intake boot cracked
Most other types of failures also don't have the potential to require extensive (and expensive) head work or, at the extreme, a new motor. A cooling system failure will leave you stranded on the side of the road and has the potential to rack up quite an expensive repair bill.

Everyone has to strive for their own balance between cost and risk. I merely made a recommendation for preventative maintenance based on how I maintain my own car. I'll be sure to wave when I pass your car broke down on the side of the road some day.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillitan View Post
on the other hand, you have to be prepared to shell out the cash to do the overhaul! Thanks for the advise though, who would think a screw could be so problematic!
That's another beauty of preventative maintenance, it never suprises you with an unexpected repair bill.

Be careful not to overtighten that replacement bleed screw.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
sillitan

Talking

Quote:
Quote:
That's another beauty of preventative maintenance, it never suprises you with an unexpected repair bill.

Be careful not to overtighten that replacement bleed screw.

Very good point and well taken!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
supratter

Quote:
Most other types of failures also don't have the potential to require extensive (and expensive) head work or, at the extreme, a new motor. A cooling system failure will leave you stranded on the side of the road and has the potential to rack up quite an expensive repair bill.

Everyone has to strive for their own balance between cost and risk. I merely made a recommendation for preventative maintenance based on how I maintain my own car. I'll be sure to wave when I pass your car broke down on the side of the road some day.
if you loose a motor because of a cooling failure then there is something to say about the person driving the car, usually when there's a problem the car will loose coolant and you have a fairly amount of time to pull over before it gets to the red area, a water pump will give you signs of going out, a thermostat on these cars it's rare that it gets stuck closed, the only other thing could be the expansion tank and all of the above allow you to pull over without causing overheating .. if you ignore the signs and just run it till the wheels fall off then there's nothing else to say

when my thermostat went out I overhauled the cooling system since I was there but if we are going by preventative maintenance then at what time do you do a fuel system overhaul? you know that a faulty fuel pump or injectors can cause detonation correct? or do you wait until the pump goes out?

bottom line I'm not saying preventative maintenance it's bad, most of us do it specially with these cars so we can both agree on that, it was an advice on your part, I read it more as if you were just on the band wagon that if something fails with your cooling system it grants an overhaul, for that I apologize

P.S. make sure you stop and take me to the store to buy some water so I can make it home

Last edited by supratter; 06-30-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
sillitan

Hoping to try this out today, I will let you know how it goes, thanks for the advice!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
One quick advice as well...don't over tighten the bleeder screw. A snug fit will do.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
sillitan

I appreciate all the advice. Heating up the screwdriver worked and I was able to remove the broken bleeder valve.