E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 01:10 AM   #41
flush01

My Ride: 3 3 0
thats it ? bah, i got bigger abs

J/K... good job man
flush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 AM   #42
Sensi09

My Ride: __
Could you give a little breakdown on the number of grams of carbs, protein and fats you have while cutting versus while you're bulking or on maintenance.

How did you lose size? Did you not eat enough?

Also, do have any alcohol intake or due you cut that out during your cut.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #43
Ward

My Ride: 2011 335is coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLM3 View Post
I would say that is what i just went through.. Put on massive size with added definition, meanwhile i dropped 30 lbs and tons and tons of bodyfat.. What would you like to know? I eat like I am cutting, just much more throughout the day of what im eating.. Then just lift hard and do a moderate intensity cardio for 30-45 min in morning or 30 minutes max after you lift!
Well, I know a lot about what to eat and what not to eat and I am very dedicated to it too. You won't find me cheating or even drinking much because of it. I have a hard time letting myself eat larger portions because I am sedentary during office hours but then I go workout 2 hrs including cardio 5-6 days a week.
I kind of figured out that I eat like I am cutting all the time but I work out like I am trying to put on mass everyday. The result is great bf percentage but having to keep working to keep my size on. Constant maintenance sucks.
Ill, Rich:
What amnt of calories do you eat everyday and how intense/x per week are your workouts?
I think I end up burning all of my food energy about 60% of the way through my workout and end up burning muscle even before I get to the cardio part.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #44
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Thanks guys . I hope everyone enjoyed the 4th yesterday.

Ward... yes, I have been successful in cutting bulking at the same time. I tried it for a period of time earlier on this year with good success. I actually started it first as a mini-cut between bulks, but I ended up being very successful with it result in muscle gain as well. At the time, I also ran an EC stack. I lost an inch off my waist and stayed the same in weight. All my lifts went up, and I made sure to not try to confuse strength for size. So yes, it is possible, but extremely hard. I'm not looking to do it again as it forced me to be too strict in my diet. Being natural without the aid of certain supplements, it was just way to hard for me to juggle with my schedule. I didn't really enjoy it at all. Granted the results were great, I didn't enjoy having the strict of a lifestyle, especially since I don't compete or anything. I prefer to just clean bulk up, then cut out the fat/retain muscle mass. Not only is it easier and do I see results faster, but I got to enjoy day to day life a bit better instead of worrying about my diet controlling me. As for the intensity of my workouts, well, I always lift heavy and hard and keep the reps low to moderate as I've said. Much doesn't change. Diet is the deciding factor. The only thing in my actual exercise routine that changes is I might knock back a day or two of cardio, or switch to a lower intensity. One thing that I've figured out through trial and error on my own, is that I actually see better gains during my bulk in size and strength during the periods I do continue with cardio, than the times where I have cut it out completely. As for the amount of cals I consume daily, look at my response to sensi

Core... I just try to eat each meal every 2-3 hours apart if possible. I have my first meal right when I wake up, and my last about 30 minutes before bed.

Sensi... I don't count calories or anything like that anymore. I just try to make sure that my diet is balanced. I have enough experience and know my own body well enough to just be able to measure out each meal I eat just by eye. I generally try to get at least 30-40 grams of protein each meal though, that stays constant. I also try to make sure that each meal (besides a cheat) does not surpass around 500 cals or so; not always the case however. I would say that during my cuts, I probably eat around 3000 cals a day, and about 3500-3700 cals during my bulks. I slacked off and lost a bit of size earlier this year because being my last semester and graduating in may, I got too caught up with school crap. My schedule was a bit too crazy and I ended up sacrificing some gym time and my diet a bit. My sleep was also way off. I wasn't giving my body enough time to rest. I was also stressed out because of a couple classes. As a result, the times that I actually did make it to the gym, my mind was somewhere else. I didn't have the right mind set and just ended up going through the motions when i lifted instead of mentally focusing on what I was doing. I'm generally not a big drinker, but i do have the occasional drink every now and then whenever I go out with the boys. One drink isn't going to make or break me.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #45
iLLM3

My Ride: Boosted M3 + G35
Send a message via AIM to iLLM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Well, I know a lot about what to eat and what not to eat and I am very dedicated to it too. You won't find me cheating or even drinking much because of it. I have a hard time letting myself eat larger portions because I am sedentary during office hours but then I go workout 2 hrs including cardio 5-6 days a week.
I kind of figured out that I eat like I am cutting all the time but I work out like I am trying to put on mass everyday. The result is great bf percentage but having to keep working to keep my size on. Constant maintenance sucks.
Ill, Rich:
What amnt of calories do you eat everyday and how intense/x per week are your workouts?
I think I end up burning all of my food energy about 60% of the way through my workout and end up burning muscle even before I get to the cardio part.
If you are lifting hard you are not burning muscle during lifting, your Glycogen stores will probably not even be depleted by the end of your workout session (being that your diet throughout the day and pre workout shake is proper) therefore you have a good 30min of low/moderate intensity cardio to burn fat) and not muscle..

My lifting sessions are very quick with my new DC training, 45 minutes or so because there isnt much rest, then i bang out a quick 30 on elyptical or stairmaster then down my waxy maize and pro complex protein shake!

My biggest problem was always building size under fat and getting bulky, now im lifting heavier then ever, eating more then ever and look better then ever. Its a weird concept hah!

RUF R-GT2
07 E60 M5
01 996TT RWD/Stage 2+ turbo SOLD!!
03 G35 Nismo Daily
02 500+ HP SC M3 SOLD

www.e46psi.com
iLLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #46
Ward

My Ride: 2011 335is coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLM3 View Post
If you are lifting hard you are not burning muscle during lifting, your Glycogen stores will probably not even be depleted by the end of your workout session (being that your diet throughout the day and pre workout shake is proper) therefore you have a good 30min of low/moderate intensity cardio to burn fat) and not muscle..

My lifting sessions are very quick with my new DC training, 45 minutes or so because there isnt much rest, then i bang out a quick 30 on elyptical or stairmaster then down my waxy maize and pro complex protein shake!

My biggest problem was always building size under fat and getting bulky, now im lifting heavier then ever, eating more then ever and look better then ever. Its a weird concept hah!
I do lift hard with little rest. I've been doing explosive reps too with some negatives mixed in. I just shrink so much in 24 hrs and even more in 48 hrs if I go without another workout. I'm going to simply increase my intake of clean food and see how I do from there. I currently eat how a girl should eat when trying to cut, meaning that my portions are probably tiny for how much I workout and how big I am.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #47
iLLM3

My Ride: Boosted M3 + G35
Send a message via AIM to iLLM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I do lift hard with little rest. I've been doing explosive reps too with some negatives mixed in. I just shrink so much in 24 hrs and even more in 48 hrs if I go without another workout. I'm going to simply increase my intake of clean food and see how I do from there. I currently eat how a girl should eat when trying to cut, meaning that my portions are probably tiny for how much I workout and how big I am.
Well that's where you are wrong, i also use to eat next to nothing when trying to lose weight and working out hard.. I got flabby, some size, no energy! As i mentioned i totally transformed my diet and i eat ALOT during the day, yet notice better results. Start eating my friend

RUF R-GT2
07 E60 M5
01 996TT RWD/Stage 2+ turbo SOLD!!
03 G35 Nismo Daily
02 500+ HP SC M3 SOLD

www.e46psi.com
iLLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #48
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
Bump.

Rich, (Sorry don't know you on a personal level but have read plenty of your posts)

My question for you is what you know about the science behind bulking and cutting? I have heard a lot about it but don't know the reasoning behind it. Personally, I'm doing them both at the same time. I play rugby here which is 4 days of intense cardio and full-body workout, and 3 days of gym workout which all include cardio. I'm at a happy 5'10 and 192. Now I've only been doing this (routinely) since January so I havn't completely figured my body out yet. Not changing workouts or cardio schedule, I seem to loose a quick 6 pounds and gain 4, therefore less bodyfat %. Now I'm pretty steady around 190. I'm curious to see if I should try cutting, then bulking back up, but it is hard for me to get the 5 meals in a day vs my typical 3. I would be interested in your input, thanks in advance!

-Taylor
Schrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #49
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock View Post
Bump.

Rich, (Sorry don't know you on a personal level but have read plenty of your posts)

My question for you is what you know about the science behind bulking and cutting? I have heard a lot about it but don't know the reasoning behind it. Personally, I'm doing them both at the same time. I play rugby here which is 4 days of intense cardio and full-body workout, and 3 days of gym workout which all include cardio. I'm at a happy 5'10 and 192. Now I've only been doing this (routinely) since January so I havn't completely figured my body out yet. Not changing workouts or cardio schedule, I seem to loose a quick 6 pounds and gain 4, therefore less bodyfat %. Now I'm pretty steady around 190. I'm curious to see if I should try cutting, then bulking back up, but it is hard for me to get the 5 meals in a day vs my typical 3. I would be interested in your input, thanks in advance!

-Taylor
You cant
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:18 AM   #50
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
Talk about an old thread...Anyone got updates? lol
Old 03-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #51
pakman3

My Ride: piece
Quote:
Originally Posted by SollyD View Post
You cant
sure you can

juice, noob, or genetics
Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #52
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock View Post
Bump.

-Taylor
People try to over complicate things all the time. It's really as simple as cals in vs cals you burn. Everyone has a daily maintenance level of calories they need to maintain their weight (There are quite a few calculators online that will help figure this out for you, just google it). If you want to cut, eat below it... or above it if you want to bulk. Start decreasing/increasing your cal intake slowly though, don't shock your body into either. You also can rarely ever do both at the same time. This usually only occurs if you have near perfect genetics, are a noob to lifting, or use certain supplements. Some people can do this as well from years of experience and perfecting their diet and training. You need to be really knowledgeable on how your body responds and such.

What happens most of the time is that people just do a clean bulk properly and confuse that for gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. With a clean bulk, keeping fat gain down to a minimum is very important. Your goal would be to increase lean muscle mass and keep your body from gaining much fat fat. While your muscle mass increases faster than you gain fat, you're able to have a lower body fat percentage w/o actually burning any fat directly. In a way, you can think of it like your body now having an increased surface area to spread out the fat better lol. This causes your body fat % to decrease w/o actually losing any fat you already previously had. This takes a lot of hard work and perfect diet and training as well.

5 meals a day would definitely be better than 3, but in regards to whether you should try cutting or bulking... well, thats really up to you

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS

Last edited by bimmerchop; 03-29-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #53
Novare330

My Ride: AA s/c AMBULAMPS
sick cut rich, seeing your results gives me motivation for the summer lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbworld View Post
Need some opinion. Stock Titanium Silver coupe without spoiler, using the 2 Fast 2 furious skyline vinyl scheme. What do you think, do it or not? plus, i think it would look better then what most car members have here.
Novare330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #54
areddy

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
WOW simply amazing! Give me a year I'll get as close as I possibly can.

Mods: windshield wiper fluid cooler, lambo (nav) door, remote alarm......clock, ///M coin holder, 'danger to manifold' led warning light etc...
areddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #55
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
summer time summer time summer time summer time summer time summer time summer time summer time summer time summer time summer time summer time
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #56
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
Quote:
Originally Posted by SollyD View Post
You cant
Then I'm not, surely you're the expert though. I posted here for advice, not criticism. Constructive criticism is fine with me, but anything more than "You can't" would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
People try to over complicate things all the time. It's really as simple as cals in vs cals you burn. Everyone has a daily maintenance level of calories they need to maintain their weight (There are quite a few calculators online that will help figure this out for you, just google it). If you want to cut, eat below it... or above it if you want to bulk. Start decreasing/increasing your cal intake slowly though, don't shock your body into either. You also can rarely ever do both at the same time. This usually only occurs if you have near perfect genetics, are a noob to lifting, or use certain supplements. Some people can do this as well from years of experience and perfecting their diet and training. You need to be really knowledgeable on how your body responds and such.

What happens most of the time is that people just do a clean bulk properly and confuse that for gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. With a clean bulk, keeping fat gain down to a minimum is very important. Your goal would be to increase lean muscle mass and keep your body from gaining much fat fat. While your muscle mass increases faster than you gain fat, you're able to have a lower body fat percentage w/o actually burning any fat directly. In a way, you can think of it like your body now having an increased surface area to spread out the fat better lol. This causes your body fat % to decrease w/o actually losing any fat you already previously had. This takes a lot of hard work and perfect diet and training as well.

5 meals a day would definitely be better than 3, but in regards to whether you should try cutting or bulking... well, thats really up to you
Thanks for the post, and for clearing things up. So is there any more reasoning for bulking/cutting other than for looks? I mean personally I hit the gym to get stronger more so than the "look." Is cutting going to help me any more than cleaning up and getting rid of excess body fat? Thanks again.

-Taylor
Schrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #57
bimmerchop

Thanks guys, but this was from last yr, I'm not that lean anymore... at least not yet, I'll start my cut for the summer in a couple of weeks.

Schrock... Cutting is nothing more than just getting rid of excess body fat. Just like bulking generally means putting on muscle mass. So when you ask if cutting will be any better than cleaning up your diet to get rid of body fat, you're talking about one in the same. Most people do choose to drop body fat simply for looks, however, dropping unnecessary fat can have positive impacts on your overall health and athleticism, so it doesn't have to be done only for looks. If you feel like you need or want to drop some unwanted fat, go for it. If not, and you want to keeping adding strength, continue to "bulk", all up to you

euro.techniks

Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #58
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Damn I know that's an old pic but that's sick. Nice job man
Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #59
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Old thread but regardless, looked cut. Nice work.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #60
bimmerchop

UPDATE!

Alright, well... it's pretty much been a year since I made this thread, so I figured I'd update it with how my current summer cut is going. I'm pretty pleased with how this cut came along. I'm actually a a few lbs heavier weighing in at 186, but much leaner than I was last June.

The only sh!tty thing about this is I'm pretty much finished cutting now. Finished sooner than expected. Normally, thats a good thing, but I have a cruise booked for mid August, so I'm stuck maintaining for awhile until then.

euro.techniks

Last edited by bimmerchop; 06-22-2008 at 11:40 PM.