E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
TorqueWrenchWTF

My Ride: 2002 330i AW
Dashboard warning lights?

Hi, I have been searching for a BMW for a while and came across pics of a peculiar light on the dash of a 1999 328i that is for sale. The car has 110k, manual transmission, sports package and seems rather nice for $9000. I'm definitely not settled on this car in anyway but rather I am really interested in what the cog light with the exclamation point is, under the odometer in case I come across it again. Is this a huge problem? Thank you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	233791   Click image for larger version

Name:	cog.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	233795  
TorqueWrenchWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
lore2486

My Ride: 04 m3 aw/ir
that looks like the gear symbol, on my 99 328i when i unpluged the MAF it would pop a light just like that one. also i when through a big puddle and that light came on. probably somethings wrong with the maf or the tranny
Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
KrisL

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to KrisL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueWrenchWTF View Post
Hi, I have been searching for a BMW for a while and came across pics of a peculiar light on the dash of a 1999 328i that is for sale. The car has 110k, manual transmission, sports package and seems rather nice for $9000. I'm definitely not settled on this car in anyway but rather I am really interested in what the cog light with the exclamation point is, under the odometer in case I come across it again. Is this a huge problem? Thank you for your help.
Either that car isn't really a manual transmission OR that gauge cluster is from an automatic transmission car. Where you see the (!) - that spot is blacked out on actual manual tranny cars...

If it's actually got a manual... did someone do an auto>manual swap or just swap the gauge cluster? Both would result in that light coming on I'd think.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
UnBreakable

My Ride: OB E46 328i
one of the lights I believe that's the tamper light on the right side of the total miles meaning someone's been messing with the milage. Someone confirm this

-l-
'---0-(_)-0---'

Last edited by UnBreakable; 07-05-2007 at 08:30 PM.
UnBreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
KrisL

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to KrisL
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnBreakable View Post
one of the lights I believe that's the tamper light on the right side of the total miles meaning someone's been messing with the milage. Someone confirm this

Oh.. yep! I missed that!

That confirms it - someone swapped gauge clusters on this car - and the gauge cluster came out of an automatic!

A dealer could read the mileage out of the LCM (it's also stored there) and tell you what the car thinks it should be.. that * just lights up when the cluster and LCM don't match.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
dragonz

My Ride: 323i
i recently have this problem. I have no idea what it means..instructions just tell me to take it to an authorized dealer. I would like to know whats going on before a shop tells me what it is.
I have a 99 323i with about 77k mileage w/ auto tranny.
dragonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
berserker

My Ride: 2000 328i stick
9k? wow that seems low. I say run the VIN see if it is stolen, maybe it was stolen from Canada, and they just swapped out the gauges with US ones...

Something aint right there....