E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #61
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,475
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
In the end, it is hard to say who is right. I just put my oil changing habits out there as information - good, bad, correct, or incorrect.

I plan to keep my car until....forever. So I don't mind spending a little extra by changing the oil prematurely if means that I feel better.

If anyone has any info that frequent oil changes hurt the engine in some way, I'd definitely reconsider.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #62
320de46m47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,001
My Ride: 320D Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
Yeah, I figured your response would be along these lines. You don't like patronizing know-it-alls (note the hypenation), and me, I don't like grammar-challenged know-nothings. Big whoop.
"hypenation" whats that then?
would seem the vast majority of people here who change their oil at 10k or less and use lower case and are not concerned about grammar because this a bmw forum not a friggin school room are also know nothings in your opinion?
get back to the playground/schoolyard where you belong

Last edited by 320de46m47; 07-12-2007 at 12:50 PM.
320de46m47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #63
320de46m47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,001
My Ride: 320D Touring
....i shuld add 10k or less INCLUDING YOU!?! todd btw sed his oil was spent ...do i nead to check the meening of spent in my dictionary or are we sayf assuming spent means finished dead expired? Im really not going to continue with this you are clearly well, challenged in some way as i should have realised. despite being a self proclaimed authority on the subject you choose to answer challenges for evidence of which you have provided abnsolutely none whatsoever with attacks on my grammar comprehension intellect and sh1t like that. its quite bizarre .... im softening a bit actually and i do feel quite sorry for you actually. take it eezy fella...have a pill.
320de46m47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #64
Emanuel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 617
My Ride: '00 Z3C/'07 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320de46m47 View Post
....i shuld add 10k or less INCLUDING YOU!?! todd btw sed his oil was spent ...do i nead to check the meening of spent in my dictionary or are we say assuming spent means finished dead expired?
Todd indeed wrote that his oil was spent. In the same sentence, he wrote he'd waited to 17,000 miles to change it. You're going to champion shorter intervals while simultaneously claiming the oil should last longer than the factory recommended ones?

Also, I indeed wrote I change mine at 7500 miles, because that's how many miles I cover in a year. According to the service department at my dealership, the oil should be changed at 15,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first. Oil doesn't last forever just sitting in an engine.

If your reading comprehension is so good, why do I have to keep re-iterating the same points written previously? In fact, why are you still posting? You've already conceded that you have no actual point or facts and joined the thread to put me in my place because you don't like know-it-alls, a mission you claim to have accomplished. Shouldn't you be off debating string theory and cold fusion with your equals, and leave grammar-obsessed mental defectives like myself to wallow in ignorance?
__________________
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #65
berserker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Noneya, Bidness
Posts: 1,308
My Ride: 2000 328i stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
...and leave grammar-obsessed mental defectives like myself to wallow in ignorance?
Grab some beers and we can sit in the garage and wallow together, who knows perhaps we can talk about tools and stuff.

Ingnorace is bliss!
__________________
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #66
todd92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 395
My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
I would like to see a link to one post, just one, of anyone who had a bona-fide engine issue that was due to changing the oil at the service light interval with BMW approved oil. It doesn't even have to be an issue, a measured loss of compression, increase in wear metals in an oil sample or evidence of sludging would do. Again, only if a BMW approved oil was used exclusively.

I do not think that cars that have had VANOS issues have had any relation to oil change frequency, if a BMW approved oil was used.

I have to give props to the marketers of engine oil. The advertising over the years as clearly been highly effective in scaring the hell out of people of the dire consequences of not changing oil often. All at the same time that oil has just gotten better and better. Any conventional petroleum oil will last 5,000 miles, synthetics 10,000+ miles and the real synthetics (PAO's and esters) 25,000 miles or more.

I find it laughable that a recurring explanation of the extended oil change intervals for BMW's is that the service is free for 50,000 miles and the extended intervals is solely for BMW to save money and they don't care about the cars after the warranty expires. You honestly believe that a company that has a reputation as one of the premier engine builders in the world has a desire to have a fleet of 51,000 mile cars on the road that are on the verge of engine failure?

Change your oil whenever oil feel like it, whatever makes you feel good. With the logic that some of you use, you ought to change it once a week, after all, it's cheap insurance.

Last edited by todd92; 07-12-2007 at 08:06 PM.
todd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 AM   #67
berserker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Noneya, Bidness
Posts: 1,308
My Ride: 2000 328i stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
I would like to see a link to one post, just one, of anyone who had a bona-fide engine issue that was due to changing the oil at the service light interval with BMW approved oil.
forum.e46fanatics.com

F A N A T I C S

We're not chumps doing the 'least' possible maintenance - overkill all the way, too may washes, too many waxes, too many pointless trips to the store down the street.

Heck I tie my breakpad wear sensors up in a big knot - the day I let my pads go down that far!!!! As a matter of fact I change my rotors when I change my pads! 'Liftime' on my Bilstein sports meant 10,000 KM

F A N A T I C S

of course we are going to change our oil often WE LOVE OUR CARS! - I would change my blood too if there was a DIY

If you are looking for praticality or reason your in the wrong spot.
__________________

Last edited by berserker; 07-18-2007 at 04:00 AM.
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:43 AM   #68
deutsch325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 452
My Ride: xi
What he said ^
__________________
deutsch325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #69
todd92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 395
My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Pretty much as I suspected. A lot of regurgitation of motor oil marketing tactics with no facts to back it up.
todd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #70
berserker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Noneya, Bidness
Posts: 1,308
My Ride: 2000 328i stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
Pretty much as I suspected. A lot of regurgitation of motor oil marketing tactics with no facts to back it up.
Yah sure you are right no facts, but you dont have any either, so with that said to each their own.

Can me up in 20 years, we'll see who ride is still running.
__________________
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #71
99328e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 57
My Ride: BMW 328
I go by the inspection interval shown on the gauge cluster when you start the car. It's usually around 25000km. I'm getting mine changed next week, and currently have 35000km on an oil change from last year. I haven't had to add any oil, and the oil level is right up at the top, and it's quite clean to my surprise. I have 245000km on the car, and have always done this. The engine runs very smooth. So, I guess I'm a believer in the BMW maintenance schedule. I also get all the work done at a BMW dealer, which some people argue against, but if somebody f's up the job I'd rather have them do it and not an independent shop. I have had nothing but good experiences at the dealer, and any time I have a problem I can describe it to them, and they know exactly what the problem is most of the time, and fix it and it never acts up again.
99328e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #72
todd92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 395
My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
Yah sure you are right no facts, but you dont have any either, so with that said to each their own.

Can me up in 20 years, we'll see who ride is still running.

But I do have facts. I worked for Mobil doing research on Mobil 1 in the 80's. I know how long the oil really lasts. What's your background in motor oil research and development? We ran cars for a million miles without changing the oil, just filters.

I also just posted that I ran 17,000 miles until the service indicator said it was time and I sent the oil to Blackstone who found no wear indications. They also said the oil was done, but only because of the TBN, not because it wasn't lubricating properly anymore.

These are facts.
todd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #73
berserker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Noneya, Bidness
Posts: 1,308
My Ride: 2000 328i stick
I see a alot of I's in your response....There is no I in BMW.

Also, as I am sure you are aware the 80s was a long time ago, as with many things there have been many many product and technological developments. I can say I have no expertise working the motor oil industry, I am in high-tech and I will say that every 18 months you can throw away the rule book - it's a world of keep up or be eliminated. There absolutely no consensus amongst the oil companies anyway - funny they all have 'the best oil' and the 'most advanced technology'. Please! As with many things today 80% is marketing hype... I suppose if I could figure out what the 'best' oil for my e46 was I might use that - but I'll never know.

I am sure you were pleased with your Blackstone results, but unfortunately it omits simple things such as your driving style, operating conditions etc. and with a statistical sample set of one - clearly not enough to base any conclusions from other than your engine, in your car, is fine. I might be going out on a limb here, but I postulate that anyone, whom sends their oil away for analysis, would likely be the same personality type that would drive placidly. I on the other hand drive my car like it were stolen on a daily basis; thus, adjusting my service intervals accordingly is the least I can do. It is the same concept as adjusting your driving style to see the best MPG you can get (apparently this is a sport now) - I looked at this meter on the cluster maybe two years ago, frankly I don't care about that (and yes I walk to work every day), nor have I managed to get more than 8 months wear out of any tire - Bottom line, everyone is different despite the fact that our cars are the same.

Look at '99328e46's post - '35,000 kms on the same oil' - sure no problems, but it is going to be a cold day in hell before I ever do that, and I am sure you agree (I don't consider it abuse, but that is reckless). I used to have a beater Mazda, well I did 285,000 kms on that with 2 oil changes before the engine blew this is testimony to 'anything is possible'. On my e46 my only goal is to completely minimize and sludge build-up and keep engine wear to an absolute minimum.

There are plenty of articles that indicate that there is an unacceptable build-up of sludge on the BMW service interval and that is not necessarily healthy for today engines and would be missed in you Blackstone report.

I guess a good question to consider would be:

If corporate cost savings were not an issue for BMW and it were strictly based on what was best for the engine what do you think the service interval would really be? And how often does Team BMW change their oil? Lol! it sure as heck not the same as yours.
__________________

Last edited by berserker; 07-20-2007 at 05:22 PM.
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #74
Clean_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,414
My Ride: E46
7500-10k miles
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS View Post
You don't know how to spend a half day without your wife?

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 PM   #75
wfo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N.Texas
Posts: 211
My Ride: 06 330CI ZHP Cabrio
Under warranty, BMW pays for it every 15K miles. I'd really like it every 3k but, it is, what it is. The warranty was built into the price of thec car. That's another BMW's are higher in price to cover warranty replacement items like: oil changes, wiper blades, brake pads....
wfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:08 AM   #76
todd92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 395
My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
I see a alot of I's in your response....There is no I in BMW.

Also, as I am sure you are aware the 80s was a long time ago, as with many things there have been many many product and technological developments. I can say I have no expertise working the motor oil industry, I am in high-tech and I will say that every 18 months you can throw away the rule book - it's a world of keep up or be eliminated. There absolutely no consensus amongst the oil companies anyway - funny they all have 'the best oil' and the 'most advanced technology'. Please! As with many things today 80% is marketing hype... I suppose if I could figure out what the 'best' oil for my e46 was I might use that - but I'll never know.

I am sure you were pleased with your Blackstone results, but unfortunately it omits simple things such as your driving style, operating conditions etc. and with a statistical sample set of one - clearly not enough to base any conclusions from other than your engine, in your car, is fine. I might be going out on a limb here, but I postulate that anyone, whom sends their oil away for analysis, would likely be the same personality type that would drive placidly. I on the other hand drive my car like it were stolen on a daily basis; thus, adjusting my service intervals accordingly is the least I can do. It is the same concept as adjusting your driving style to see the best MPG you can get (apparently this is a sport now) - I looked at this meter on the cluster maybe two years ago, frankly I don't care about that (and yes I walk to work every day), nor have I managed to get more than 8 months wear out of any tire - Bottom line, everyone is different despite the fact that our cars are the same.

Look at '99328e46's post - '35,000 kms on the same oil' - sure no problems, but it is going to be a cold day in hell before I ever do that, and I am sure you agree (I don't consider it abuse, but that is reckless). I used to have a beater Mazda, well I did 285,000 kms on that with 2 oil changes before the engine blew this is testimony to 'anything is possible'. On my e46 my only goal is to completely minimize and sludge build-up and keep engine wear to an absolute minimum.

There are plenty of articles that indicate that there is an unacceptable build-up of sludge on the BMW service interval and that is not necessarily healthy for today engines and would be missed in you Blackstone report.

I guess a good question to consider would be:

If corporate cost savings were not an issue for BMW and it were strictly based on what was best for the engine what do you think the service interval would really be? And how often does Team BMW change their oil? Lol! it sure as heck not the same as yours.
Links?
todd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #77
josephmech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 297
My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
wow. these posts are great. Their is alot of passion in the discussion. I would like to know the source of the european oil everyone is getting. please let me know. Also I feel the oil change is a prefrence I am sure everyone has their own opinion about the interval for service.
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #78
Riverbmr3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: H-town
Posts: 4,016
My Ride: slow 3
i just bring my car to the stealership when the red light is on for a change oil, that's 12k miles or once a year. i bought an extended warranty to be on a safe side. presently, i got 74k miles, so far so good.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #79
BobW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St Louis
Posts: 55
My Ride: 2005 330ci
Over the years I have read hundreds of "oil change posts" on the BMW auto and motorcycle web sites and also Ducati web sites. I can't remember one person that said "I changed my oil every one thousand miles, or every twenty thousand miles, and that resulted in an oil related failure". I believe any recomended oil, changed within the manufacture's recomendation will result in a car that will fall apart long before the engine wears out. If you change oil frequently, any synthetic (BMW LL01 approved or not) is fine. If you want to do it every year, or when the oil change light comes on, just use BMW 5-30, or Mobil 0-40. I don't think anyone has had a problem that has done either. I would worry more about having your oil changed somewhere other than the dealership, and they put in cheap oil (when you paid for synthetic), no new filter (ask to see the old one), and stripped the threads on the oil pan.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #80
bmwbun
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 1,956
My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
My car is 10 years old.

It has 63,000 miles on it.

At least one member on this forum has a BMW with 160,000 miles on it using dino oil.

I'd have to own my car for over 25 years to accumulate that kind of mileage and I don't plan on owning it that long.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use