E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Novablue454

My Ride: 1999 328i
Justin's E46 LS6 Build

Hey everyone, new to the forums and this is my first BMW. I guess I'll start from the beginning.

I decided I wanted to build a drift car, so after a few weeks searching Craigslist I went and picked up a 1999 328i with 128k on the clock, and the cooling system recently rebuilt. Here it is the day I picked it up.

I DD'd it for about 2 weeks and in that time it became apparent the suspension was SHOT. Time to start ordering some parts! I opted for some BC Coilovers, a subframe reinforcement kit from Turner Motorsport, front and rear strut tower reinforcements from Turner Motorsport, and a wheel stud conversion for easier changes at the track. I also picked up a set of tires since it had Hankook Snows on it.

Dropped the rear end to install the reinforcement plates and Powerflex differential and trailing arm bushings

Burned a square of 1/4 steel in to the diff

Replacing the bushings

After a lot of research I opted to attach the reinforcement plates using Panel Bond rather then welding them.

and here she is back on the ground with everything installed.

Had a local shop make me a new exhaust

got an alignment

and then it was off to my first event!_a_
Novablue454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
Novablue454

My first time on track was the No Coast Drift Party in Albuquerque, NM (huge shout out to Whiskey Garage for putting it on), and it was a blast. I was real nervous to go out there for my first time, but once I spun out and realized it wasn't the end of the world, I was hooked. Here's some shots from the trip.

After the event 3 things became very apparent. I need more power, I need more angle, and mostly I need more practice.

I sold my Jeep SRT8 that was collecting dust in my garage and decided it was time to get serious.

After weighing the options of a turbo kit vs a swap (and available swaps) I decided to go with a GM LS6 (think corvette z06), however my particular set up came from a CTS-V. I found a supplier in Kansas that sells complete swap kits with warranty, so after a few emails I ordered the LS6, T56 6 speed, engine harness, tuned ECU with immobilizer workaround, TBW gas pedal, and all engine accessories.

Then we got to work on the car prepping it for the swap and it's future life in Pro-AM.

Pulling the engine/trans

Pulling the interior (with some help from our foster dog, Sherman)

Dry Icing out that demon sound deadening

Sound deadening all cleaned out

Painted

Now it was time to ship the car off to a local rally shop Rally.Build to get a Formula D spec cage installed. He is also going to reinforce the subframe further.

Meanwhile, some parts started showing up!

I opted to take the easy route and order the entire Vorshlag swap kit: (engine/trans mounts, oil pan, steering shaft, headers)

I also decided to ditch the entire BMW chassis harness and replace it with a painless unit

I was given an NRG quick release from a customer/friend

Not pictured are the oil pan, trapdoor baffle, S2R fiberglass sunroof delete panel, and some other small bits. I also ordered the SLR Ultra Angle kit.

Right now the car is still at Rally.Build getting caged (eta is Thanksgiving), I am waiting on the Engine/Trans/Harness/Pedal and the SLR angle kit to arrive, and then it's serious crunch time as the 1st event of the season is February!

Last edited by Novablue454; 10-27-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
Novablue454

Parts are starting to arrive! I was surprised at work by this today!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Update:

So, still not too much going on around here. Divorced the engine/trans to take a look at the clutch, it was in OK but holy crap the CTS-V clutch/flywheel combo is HEAVY.(google tells me its 80lbs). I am planning on some power mods next winter, so I decided to go ahead and upgrade now. I ordered the Monster Iron 11" Clutch package (rated at 950hp) with the Monster 18lb flywheel and their billet release bearing support. The clutches are built after ordering so I should see it in 2-3 weeks.

Installed the Holley LSx swap pan with the Holley trap door baffle:
windage tray mods:

baffle installed

pan on

I am still waiting on Vorshlag to send out the steering shaft and the headers. Still waiting on my SLR angle kit as well. I also ordered a fire supression system from Bimmerworld. I am also going to go see if I fit in a set of Bimarco seats they have at the roll cage shop and will probably get those on order as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 11/04/15:
Went and visited the car over at Rally.Build tonight, there's a bit of progress made on the cage, but my phone broke so no pictures. I mainly went to try out a seat they carry there called the Bimarco Grip. HANS compatible, FIA approved, "Halo" style, for significantly less than a comparable Sparco. It was extremely comfortable (which is rare for a race seat when you're my size) and has good reviews from people who have been using them, So I decided to get one on order. I also ordered the non halo version for the passenger seat. I am working with Rally.Build on a pair of harnesses to compliment them, as well as a steering wheel, hub, and Hydro brake. Decided just to tie in to the rears this season and then look at going dual caliper next winter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 11/05/15:
Fire Suppression System showed up!

Update 11/08/15:
After speaking with Meziere and some other people, we ended up going with:
Meziere MEZ-WP337S, Electric 55GPM Dual Outlet remote pump
Meziere MEZ-WP89U LSx Water Pump Block Adapter -12an
CFR HZ-40016-X3 Modular Aluminum Radiator 31" x 19"
CFR HZ-6064 8"x 3' Aluminum Overflow Tank
CFR HZ-1009-31 Radiator Fan Shroud
CFR HZ 1009CU 16" Electric Cooling Fan
for the trunk mounted radiator setup. Hopefully it cools enough!

Update 11/14/15:
Got bored waiting on everything, so I decided to paint my block.

Meziere water pump fittings came in (obviously these 90s aren't going to work)

Steam Vent Kit

Radiator

Fan and shroud

Radiator parts

Granatelli 0 Ohm wires with heat shields

Meziere Remote water pump

The Monster Clutch set up came in as well, but there was a miscommunication and they sent out the standard weight flywheel instead of the lightweight, but they got it taken care of right away and the correct one should be here early next week.

Still waiting on my SLR Angle kit, and the Steering Shaft and headers from Vorshlag.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: 11/17/15
So when the engine arrived the p/s reservoir had been damaged (a broken hose barb). One of my friends just got a mill, and he offered to machine me up a new one. I am converting it to -AN fittings so I can run all AN lines to/from the rack as well. Here is his initial drawing

a look inside it

and the finished product

I think it turned out awesome!

Got it mounted up on the engine, I also converted the pump fittings to AN using a -6an Borgeson P/S fitting (925120) and an Earls Performance -10an compression adapter.

I also got the steam vent kit installed, and went ahead and painted the valve covers/throttle body/coil brackets. I think it's looking a bit better then before!

I picked up a set of CXracing headers from a member here in case Vorshlag decides to never make mine (seems like that's the case), and also Monster swapped out the 28lb flywheel sent for the 18lb one. Got an email that my Vorshlag steering shaft shipped today too!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 11/23/15

Adjustable rear camber arms from Turner Motorsport showed up

Headers showed up and seem to fit OK. Finish is pretty MEH but you get what you pay for. I still have my order open with Vorshlag in case these don't fit. Also installed the Granatelli plug wires and they look amazing.

Update: 11/28/15
I am still waiting to get the chassis back from Rally.Build with the cage work finished (hopefully mid-december), also waiting on the SLR angle kit, and the engine harness/ecu/pedal assembly to show up. So in the meantime I got some steel tube and made up a front bash bar. I have to wait until the chassis is back to figure out how to mount it, but I am stoked on how it turned out so far.

Update 12/8/15
The SLR Ultra Angle Kit with Adjustable Lollipops showed up! Good for around 60 degrees of angle.

Update 12/21/15
Went to get the seat position figured out in the car, and snapped a few pics of the cage progress.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: 1/4/16

Cage is done! Brought the car home late last week.

Handbrake showed up

Got the SLR Ultra kit installed. It has more to go then this, these wheels are +41mm and hitting everything. I am dropping down to a +20mm offset and a 30mm spacer to clear.

and fabbed up the rear radiator mounts

Last edited by Novablue454; 01-12-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:17 PM   #4
Novablue454

Update: 1/12/16

Installed the Turner camber arms.

Blew out the rear bulkhead (I'm making a new one)

Installed the Vorshlag steering column

Figured out my serp belt routing

Radiator installed

Cage painted and dash fitted

Test fitting the motor (some trimming will need to happen)

Picked up some Style 5's and cleaned them up

Started cleaning up the engine bay

H&R 30mm spacers with Turner 95mm studs installed

Wheel fitted with the new studs, spacers, and lug nuts

Now to figure out what size tire I can run to clear this steering setup!

Update: 1/22/16

Got to work making the handbrake mount (ignore the upside down master)

Before the welds were cleaned up

Installed some Turner Motorsport rack stops as there was way too much steering angle to run any real tire size.

But of course they took out too much angle. I ordered a set of 245/40r17, and once they're installed i'll trim the rack stops to fit.

Started building the drivers side floor pan and trying to figure out how to mount the GM pedal (the pedal is already modified in this pic)

started mocking up the front bash bar to figure out the mounts

Trimmed all the excess metal out of the engine bay, cut all the tabs off, filled a bunch of holes, and painted

Update 1/25/16:

Started making new brake lines for the ABS delete as well as the handbrake. Fronts ran

still waiting on some brake line clamps to show up to secure them. Made one of the lines at the handbrake as well. Waiting on a Chase Bays proportioning valve before I make the other one.

Installed the ECS Tuning SS brake lines to the calipers.

And began making the mounts for the bash bar.

Update 2/8/16

Got the rear bulkhead mostly built.

Sparco trunk hold downs

Bash bar mounted

Got the T56 back from getting converted to an F body shifter

another shot of the bulkhead

Handbrake and proportioning valve

Picked up another set of Style 5's

HARD motorsport front flares installed

Engine together with the Monster clutch, LTW Flywheel and upgraded slave

and it's in!

Ran out of room...future updates will be posted throughout

Last edited by Novablue454; 03-16-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
I'm about to reinforced my subframe too. Where did you got the panel bond? Why did you choose this method instead of welds?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Novablue454

I got the panel bond from Finishmaster, an auto body & paint supplier up the street from me. It is 3M 08115. I opted to go this route because welding damages the rust coating on the backside of the welds that you can never get to and reseal, it is in a hard to access area, I cant weld that thin of metal to save my life, and because panel bond "welds" the entire plate rather then just the outer edge of it, creating a stronger bond.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
Good sh!t man. Im staying tuned
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
Mflara20

Did you do all the kit this way or just this part?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
Ojai330i

My Ride: 330i Slick Top & X5
subscribed
Old 10-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
Novablue454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
Did you do all the kit this way or just this part?

I did all 4 of the bottom plates this way. Wire wheeled all the old undercoating off, cleaned up with scotch brite, wiped both the body and the plates down with brake clean multiple times until white paper towels were coming off clean, then applied the panel bond to the thickness specified on the bottle on the plates, mounted it up and put some bolts with anti sieze on the threads to hold them tight while they cured. I gave them 72 hours to cure. I then cut the first layer out of the trunk, and per the instructions hammered down and welded the middle layer. I wish I wouldn't have though, as now I am having the cage shop tie a bar between the strut towers and tie in to the crossmember mounts with some triangles.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
Novablue454

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
Good sh!t man. Im staying tuned
Thanks! It will be slow going while I accumulate parts and wait for the car to be back in my possession, but come December its on!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
WinterBeemer

My Ride: 2004 325Xi
Nice build *Subscribed*
WinterBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
Mflara20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
I did all 4 of the bottom plates this way. Wire wheeled all the old undercoating off, cleaned up with scotch brite, wiped both the body and the plates down with brake clean multiple times until white paper towels were coming off clean, then applied the panel bond to the thickness specified on the bottle on the plates, mounted it up and put some bolts with anti sieze on the threads to hold them tight while they cured. I gave them 72 hours to cure. I then cut the first layer out of the trunk, and per the instructions hammered down and welded the middle layer. I wish I wouldn't have though, as now I am having the cage shop tie a bar between the strut towers and tie in to the crossmember mounts with some triangles.
How much panel bonding did you used? I guess you followed the instructions and welded the trunk pieces. Any tips when doing the reinforcement kit?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #14
Novablue454

Quote:
How much panel bonding did you used? I guess you followed the instructions and welded the trunk pieces. Any tips when doing the reinforcement kit?

I got one tube (2 tubes side by side) and used maybe 1/2 of it. And correct, I welded the trunk pieces, but now I am going to undo those in favor of a setup like this (picture stolen from google)

I can't think of any good tips other then make sure the surfaces are clean before bonding or welding, take your time, follow the instructions that come with the kit (mine was from Turner Motorsport) and mostly have fun with it! Be prepared for the exhaust studs to break if they haven't been touched before, and label all your bolts well (this was my method)
Also, make sure you look closely for pre-existing cracks and get them taken care of before you put the plates on. Mine had about a 3 crack running under the rear drivers side one, had to weld that up and smooth it before I put the plate on.

Last edited by Novablue454; 10-27-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #15
Mflara20

^
Thanks for all the info!
My exhaust bolts never been touched so I'm sure they're going to brake. What was your method to get the studs out?

Last edited by Solidjake; 10-29-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #16
Novablue454

Quote:
Thanks for all the info!
My exhaust bolts never been touched so I'm sure they're going to brake. What was your method to get the studs out?

I drilled them out and replaced the studs with bolts/nuts. It was the worst part of the whole job, but I also have crap drill bits at the house so that was part of the problem. I tried heat and and air hammer to press them out but it didn't work right away and I was worried about damaging the O2 sensors in the manifold.

Last edited by Novablue454; 10-27-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
ibooste90

My Ride: e46 cabriolet
Hot damn. Subscribing to this...
ibooste90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #18
Mflara20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
I drilled them out and replaced the studs with bolts/nuts. It was the worst part of the whole job, but I also have crap drill bits at the house so that was part of the problem. I tried heat and and air hammer to press them out but it didn't work right away and I was worried about damaging the O2 sensors in the manifold.
Well it sounds like you had a nightmare with those studs. I'm just going to take it to a muffler shop. Sorry I'm just not a very patient person when it comes to broken bolts.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #19
hamdan

My Ride: 330ci
Sub'd!
Looking forward to where this is going!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #20
IRzhp04

My Ride: 2004 BMW zhp
Subscribed. Good work on the suspension and frames. I'm also a believer in panel bonding vs. welding. I used 3M dp420 on mine.
btw..Sherman does look built like a tank
IRzhp04 is offline   Reply With Quote