E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Redding

My Ride: E46 328i
Redding_4DR E46 M3 Project

I finally decided to show you my 4dr E46 M3 project. The base car is a 1998 E46 328i sedan that I have since 2004. When I got the car I had my focus on finishing college and it was being kind of hard studying and working but a few things came unexpectedly together and I ended up buying the car. Even the day I collected it was funny as I was rushing for my mother’s birthday dinner… when I showed her the car and I said it was a BMW “three – twenty eight” (like we say it Portuguese), she smiled and said – “28? Nice, that’s my birth date!”. And I managed to finish college that year. So somehow, the car has sentimental value to me.

I started thinking about modifying it from the beginning. First I just wanted to update to the M technik II bumpers, some 19” wheels and change the color, which I did in 2006. I wanted to update some things on the interior but things got really rough in Portugal with the financial crisis. I was forced with the decision of letting go the car but it was hard selling a 2.8 gasoline engine vehicle on those circumstances. People loved the car but when they saw the engine… All I got was “if only it was a diesel, sorry”… But then things got better for me professionally and in 2009 I realized I would be able to keep the car. What a relief! So I was thinking about a way of giving my 328i some glory! I even considered (the dream) of having an M5 V10 S85 engine swap after seeing the project from Trackculture. But it was a just to be a dream… realistically, I decided against it the moment I accidentally found an ad of a crashed 2002 E46 M3 near me in Lisbon.

I had seen some great M3 conversions before but for me dismantling a perfectly good M3 was simply out of the question on principle grounds. The ad stated the engine was running perfectly so the idea of bringing an M3 back to life was really appealing to me! On principle grounds too! I got the car!

Most of the projects I’ve seen where accomplished and/or done by the owners themselves. I’m not a mechanic. In fact, due to the crisis, I spent most of the time working abroad so I had to find someone to do the conversion. Found a few shops that would do it but wouldn’t let me feel the confidence (to take the cars there), rather letting me feel they thought it didn’t make any sense. After almost two years, I found I guy in Leiria that was hyped and willing get to do the project. On my way there for the first time I caught a Taxi and the cab driver let go right away when I said where I wanted to go that the shop was very good, specially referring the owner. So I felt the confidence from the start.

But enough history, back to the project! There have been so many conversions before and the bar has been set really (really) high. I want the factory look and quality but I also want a little more aggressiveness here and there. So I’m not staying grounded to the strict “E46 M3 sedan BMW would’ve built” approach. But I reckon there’ll be some related clichés related to it as well… In the end I hope my project to be as good as the others. That’s what I truly hope. There are also some things that I haven’t sorted out yet and I’m hoping to find some help here in the forum. Unfortunately I won’t be able to thoroughly detail every little step of the project as the others did so well since I’m not there. Even when I’m in Portugal, Leria is a further 200 kilometers up north from Lisbon. I’ll try my best to keep this project interesting but in the end, it’s “just” another E46 M3 Sedan conversion… even as I was deciding where to post this thread, I came across another great ongoing project. (…)It’s incredible! People just keeps doing this!!!

Here are some the pictures of the cars:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_001.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	567093 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_006.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	567094 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_007.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	567095 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_008.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	567096 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_010.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	567097 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_013.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	567098

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Last edited by Redding; 08-02-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Ordering the images - Just learned how to put images in posts instead of attachments - Looking better now!
Redding is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Looking forward to seeing even more progress

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:19 AM   #3
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
It's absolutely crazy to me that people would prefer a diesel to a 328. I understand the financial aspects of insurance/gas prices/upkeep but still... come on people...

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:41 AM   #4
Gatriel
Grüß Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Beautiful car man! I look forward to seeing the swap go forward.

How much did the donar car cost in Eur?

Your car will be unique, and one of a very few M3 4Dr clones in Europe. Take good care of it.

More of my posts get deleted than anyone elses.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Nice, I would vote that you black out the window trim, the fender vents and the kidney grills.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Redding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Beautiful car man! I look forward to seeing the swap go forward.

How much did the donar car cost in Eur?

Your car will be unique, and one of a very few M3 4Dr clones in Europe. Take good care of it.
Hi Gatriel,

I bought the M3 back in 2010 and it cost it cost me 6000EUR. Around 8000USD at the actual currency rates (at the time USD was a little stronger). Even though the car suffered a major impact, the engine actually runs perfectly. The front seats, the mirrors and the navigation system had been removed (and sold to another person) but, apart from that, everything was there. Even the complete set of wheels (which you can see on the 328i). I got the car from a stand where the owner and his son built and raced super rallye cars has a hobby. They intended to use the M3 as such but due to the crisis... I belived it was a good deal as the engine and SMG gear box were okay. The car has around 120.000 KM but apart from the crash damage, seemed to be well maintained. The 328 has the same mileage so I won't have a problem there with the DMV inspections.

There are a few conversions in Europe but some really good ones I might add. You got of course the one from Jeppe which is massive, you have the Becha B46 E46 M3 wich is, let's say, less conventional and correctly agressive. And you have Michael's E46 M3 Saloon as well which is still ongoing and coming along nicely!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Redding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
Nice, I would vote that you black out the window trim, the fender vents and the kidney grills.
Thanks JonBlaze,

I don't think we need to vote for that... There's no place for chrome on a race car!!! By the way, I picked the shadowline window trim from BMW some time ago... It was very expensive and I'm a little disapointed to be honest... I don't know if it was possible to black out the ones I had. I was told it would be easy to chip the finish so I wen for the OEM...

As for the grills, I'll sure get some glossy ones from ebay!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330
Will you be replacing your guards and quarters with m3? Or is this just a driveline swap?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Redding

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
It's absolutely crazy to me that people would prefer a diesel to a 328. I understand the financial aspects of insurance/gas prices/upkeep but still... come on people...
Hi Alec!

Yes, from a driving perspective yes. But it becames comprehensible when the gas price is around 7.35usd/gal (1.45eur/liter). But diesels have come a long way. You have the Audis winning the Le Mans 24H for quite some time now (even though I believe the old technical rules disavantage the petrol engines). And let me tell you, the 330D will give the 328 a really hard time! I think even in the States you'll start seeing more and more Diesels. If you need a car to just take you places they are getting really good. It's basically down to consuption as todays diesels aren't much more reliable then their petrol counterparts and the complexity is higher (and costier). Insurance in Portugal comes down to power regardless of fuel type. If the gas isn't too expensive then the balance shifts towards petrol engines. If you love to drive, it shifts even more!

By the way, I have a lot of people showing interest on my M52 engine! So it must be good!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
Redding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
Will you be replacing your guards and quarters with m3? Or is this just a driveline swap?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Greetings Dav,

I'll be replacing the guards and quarters as well. But not going for the M3 headlights. Absolutely love the facelifted lights. Since you ask, I'll be replacing the hood, boot and roof as well with carbon fiber parts. The car will be completelly stripped to the chassis using all possible parts from the M3. Electric harness included.

Last edited by Redding; 07-29-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Redding

Taking the cars to the body shop.

First, taking the M3 out of the garage through a very steep access ramp...

...was afraid the home made dollie wouldn't take it.

200km later...

328 waiting to enter.

Entering... Last few meters with the good ol' M52(TUB28) engine. And the 15inch wheels... Those won't be missed one bit!

M3 took a big hit... Even on that state, I kind of feel sorry for breaking it all apart.

Inside... Time to head back to Lisbon. And then off to Angola. But not before taking one last look at the 328... And listening to the M3 one more time!!!

Won't be seeing these two for quite some time!

Last edited by Redding; 08-16-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: misspelling - still working on my english guys :)
Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
Redding

Getting started - Bodywork first.

Difference between the M3 trunk (on top) and the sedan - For a moment the guys at the shop thought the M3 was to be used and were already drawing cutting lines in the 328i.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #13
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
nice progress! looking to be a great project!

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #14
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Wow I can't wait to cut into mine and make it wide. Looks good, keep it up
Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
Redding

Some better images

Widening the rear door a little bit for a smoother transition. Some of the interior removed as well (seats, dash, steering wheel, etc.).

Old 08-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
fckupayme

My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
Very nice... hope you replace those mirrors with the OEM M3 ones. Are you going to cut and weld the power dome from the M3 hood? I like your plan of attack. A little different from others. I am a huge fan of the coupe headlights but at least you are keeping the facelifted sedan (the non facelifted can burn in hell). Can't wait to see more.

fckupayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #17
fckupayme

My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
Reminds me a lot of this monster

Last edited by fckupayme; 08-13-2014 at 03:55 PM.
fckupayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #18
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckupayme View Post
Reminds me a lot of this monster

how bmw skipped the sedan on the e46 is beyond insane. that looks perfect in sedan form.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #19
Redding

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
nice progress! looking to be a great project!
Thanks! There are a few things that I still don't know how they'll look in the end but hoping this to be a great project as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
Wow I can't wait to cut into mine and make it wide. Looks good, keep it up
I've went through your thread and it's insane!!! To have you looking at my project is an honor sir. The widened sedan to match the M3 for look it's so nice to me. In the very begining that was all I was thinking about!

So, if you don't mind I'll go ahead and use your words and say - "Wow I can't wait for you to cut into yours and make it wide. Looks good, keep it up"!!

Last edited by Redding; 08-16-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Misspelling...
Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #20
Redding

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckupayme View Post
Very nice... hope you replace those mirrors with the OEM M3 ones. Are you going to cut and weld the power dome from the M3 hood? I like your plan of attack. A little different from others. I am a huge fan of the coupe headlights but at least you are keeping the facelifted sedan (the non facelifted can burn in hell). Can't wait to see more.
Yes, I'll be replacing the mirrors with OEM ones. I got a set at an auction a couple of weeks ago so that part is covered! As for the hood I got one that is specifically for the facelifted sedan and has the power dome already incorporated.

The non facelifted headlights burning in hell... I wouldn't go as far as as saying that... even though I feel exactely like that! My car is from 98 so the first thing I did as soon as I could was to facelift the headlights. M3 engine or not, I wouldn't go back... At one point I considered using the coupe headlights. Then I saw Mitt's project and even though I loved it in is car, I kind of had doubts and felt their place were right in the coupe... for me I wanted to keep within the realms of OEM... When I saw the Technik doubs were over! With time, the facelifted headlights grew more on me and today I can even say (as long as they are the xenon ones with projectors) I like them even more than the coupe... After all, there is no accounting for taste.

With everyone going for the M3 headlights, it's nice not to be alone. Thanks mate.