E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #61
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
my replacement from vibelights.com have just arrived....i will let you guys know how it goes....so far the quality of them are ALOT better then those "covered under warranty" ones.....oh yeah and they shipped very very fast.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #62
Deep Blue
Banned

My Ride: M52TUB28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstainba View Post
Regardless of what you think you understood from that, you are mistaken. An inverter is used with ccfl as with any application that requires an "ac" wave from a dc source. A ballast is a device that specifically regulates the current. They are used in nearly all types of vapor bulbs. (that means fluorescent, metal halide, mecury, hps and hid). The reason they are used is because, and go look this up smart guy, a vapor lamp requires high voltage to ignite the gas inside, but a considerably lower voltage to maintain the spark. Ballasts use inductors or electronic limiters to maintain the currect current flow when the voltage drastically changes.

Your assertions that 700 volts would kill is plain wrong. You can be hit with millions of volts and not be hurt one bit. the killer is the current, which is inversly proportional to voltage. 14V @ 1A => multiplier => 140V @ 0.1A. It also depends on the frequency. A very high freq wave will bounce across your skin. Oh, and static... when you shock your tard ass on the door knob, measure around 3KV.

I suppose when you looked all this stuff up... you didn't bother to actually read it all. Here is a quote from your wikipedia page:

The reason you are seeing it called an "inverter" is because CCFL are typically ran from a DC (battery) source. Like in cars, computers & such. The multiplication of voltage using a transformer or cascade multiplier requires AC. So the DC input must be "inverted". However, that term is somewhat misleading as well. There is no "inversion", only a method to produce a pulsating wave, which for the most part acts like an AC sine wave in the circuits.

Cliff notes?

it is an inverter and not a ballast:

prove:
Source: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...7&postcount=11

Quote:
You must have a ballast to provide the 700+ volts these things require.

Shot at 2007-07-25
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #63
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Cliff notes?

it is an inverter and not a ballast:

prove:
Source: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...7&postcount=11

Shot at 2007-07-25
Ugh... this is like trying to explain quantum mechanics to an english major. You're wrong, but don't know enough of electronics to know *why* you are wrong. Go back and read the first things you posted to me... from wikipedia. It explains exactly what a ballast is.... and that they are used for gas-discharge lamps.

Let me try to explain it this way: You insist that it is only an inverter. That is simply turns the DC into AC. 14Volts @ 0.7 amps. And that voltage/current is enough to excite the gas into an arc of plasma - producing light. Well... think about alllll those sockets in your house. They have 120VAC and upto 20A at a single plug. If 14VAC could ignite an inert gas, the voltage from your outlet would also create an arc between the contacts - BUT THEY DON'T.

That is because to excite a gas to the point of plasma requires very high voltage. To even get a visible spark takes thousands of volts! This is the same reason you have an ignition coil in you car. It works JUST LIKE A BALLAST. It produces around 10KVA to provide a spark at the plug.

As for your "proof": That little black box could have "Jesus Christ" printed on it - I wouldn't expect it to turn water into wine.
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #64
sstainba

LOL... did you even LOOK at the picture? The right side OF THE BALLST says "H.V. DANGER." Since it takes about 30V to break skin resistance, you wouldn't feel anything if you touch the output side of the ballast... that is... if it actually is just the inverter you claim. Go ahead and touch it, I dare you. hahaha

By the way: The International Electrotechnical Commission and its national counterparts (IEE, IEEE, VDE, etc.) define high voltage circuits as those with more than 1000 V for alternating current and at least 1500 V for direct current, and distinguish it from low voltage (50-1000 V AC or 120-1500 V DC) and extra low voltage (<50 V AC or <120 V DC) circuits. This is in the context of the safety of electrical apparatus.

In the United States 2005 National Electrical Code (NEC), high voltage is any voltage over 600 V (article 490.2).

And FYI: The dielectric breakdown strength of dry air, at Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP), between spherical electrodes is approximately 33 kV/cm.[1] This is only as a rough guide since the actual breakdown voltage is highly dependent upon the electrode shape and size.

Last edited by sstainba; 07-25-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #65
Custom3

i just installed my ballast/inverter thingy from vibelights.com...is it suppose to get extremely hot??....keeps getting hotter and hotter...not sure if thats normal....my last one died righ after it got as hot as this one is...
Old 07-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #66
sstainba

no no no no.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #67
sstainba

are you sure you're not reversing the polarity of the input???
Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #68
Custom3

^?....i just connected the wires
Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #69
Custom3

im going to disconnect it now before it dies....i have the car running
Old 07-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #70
sstainba

be absolutely sure you are connecting the wires correctly. ie: black is ground (-) and red is positive. what size fuse do you have in the fuse holder?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #71
Custom3

alright i just disconnect it...before i did i touched it and it was extremely hot!!!...what could be wrong??

Last edited by Custom3; 07-25-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #72
Custom3

its a 5 amp fuse.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #73
Custom3

should i change the fuse?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #74
sstainba

lol. yes! 1.5A at MOST (the ballasts are rated at a maximum of 0.7A each) There must be something else wrong with your setup... can you describe it to me exactly? maybe take some pics?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #75
Custom3

give me a second...ill try to find some pics from this forum...its the same basic setup everyone on this forum has for there angel eyes...it came with a 5amp fuse from umnitza.com when i purchase it...that why i been using it....ill be back
Old 07-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #76
Custom3

heres a shot of the setup i got from another thread

this second pic shows the inverter/ballast....the four white wires that are paired i think might be the problem...the reason why is because the connector doesn't fit with the original wires that come out for the angel eyes...i just cut them and put them together...they don't say which one is positive and negative so i just guessed...could that be the issue?

Quote:
lol. yes! 1.5A at MOST (the ballasts are rated at a maximum of 0.7A each) There must be something else wrong with your setup... can you describe it to me exactly? maybe take some pics?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #77
sstainba

they should know better than to give you a 5 amp fuse with those ballasts... the ballast will blow long before that fuse does. that's rather irresponsible in my opinion. (look at the picture above, note how the ballast says "0.7A max" under the input side.

the white wires don't have a polarity (+ or -). because of the nature of high voltage, it is somewhat moot. anyway, there may be a problem with your relay. it could be shorted internally. are you absolutely sure you connected all of the wires correctly to your car?

I'm not terribly familiar with their harness... i did mine all on my own.

Last edited by sstainba; 07-25-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #78
Custom3

yeah its all done right...its been working for over a year without a problem..so the connections are right.....i have no idea what it could be now...ill check the relay...how would a be able to know if its not working correctly??in other words what are the signs of a bad relay?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #79
Custom3

i just went out and checked it...didn't see anything out of the ordinary
Old 07-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #80
sstainba

to really test the relay, you'd need to use a miltimeter to make sure it was working correctly. you might want to go get a new relay (AND FUSE!). replace them and see if it happens again. also, I would only connect ONE ballast as a time and see if it gets hot. if so, try it on the other side. if it still gets hot, try the other ballast (by itself) on each side. let me know if/when they get hot or if the (hopefully 1.5A) fuse blows.