E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #81
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
^....thanks u have been a big help...ill will try that
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #82
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
^....thanks u have been a big help...ill will try that
no prob. if you want to drive over to missouri... i'll take a look ans see what i can do.
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #83
Custom3

^thanks for the offer...if you were only closer...

As posted before...I asked If the passenger side had a ballast since i couldnt see mines...well i took my headlight out and there it was..it was stuffed inside the headlight...and to my surprise...it was MELTED in there!!!For some odd reason it still worked though....Stupid design if you ask me...that could have melted my HeadLights!!!!...i took it out and replaced even though it still worked.

now that i replaced the pass side ballast The driver side ballast isnt heating up as fast as it use to....but its still heating up...both of them are...im going tomorrow to buy a fuse....i think the driver side ballast is ready to die since my angel eyes are flickering...same symptoms my other ballast had before it died.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #84
sstainba

well they will get a lil warm during normal use... but shouldn't get "hot." when you get the new fuse, it will at least prevent the melting even if it doesn't help their reliability. i put my ballasts in my headlight housing, under the black trim, between the reflectors. it seems to do just fine there. i definitely never had any melt. good luck!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #85
SammyV

My Ride: CB M3
Send a message via AIM to SammyV
im on my second set from jlevi, and one side is kicking out on me. checked all connections and they are perfect, sometimes the rings work sometimes they dont, very annoying and sick to death of spending money on these damn angel eyes. about to pick up a set from VibeLights.com since they seem to be cheaper, rather then waste the extra cash with the sponsors when in the end they all suck equally
SammyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #86
Custom3

^....agree
Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #87
sstainba

Yeah... I think the next time mine go out (hopefully not soon though) I'm just going to put some LED rings in. I'll of course put new brighter LEDs in it... but at least there won't be any ballast to burn up.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #88
n3985

My Ride: E92 soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstainba View Post
Yeah... I think the next time mine go out (hopefully not soon though) I'm just going to put some LED rings in. I'll of course put new brighter LEDs in it... but at least there won't be any ballast to burn up.
Bad idea, the brightest LEDs are only 20,000mcd, CCFLs are 40,000mcd which is why they can be seen in daytime. Also, with LEDs the light dispersion sucks.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #89
sstainba

I realize they aren't as bright... that's not my concern. You can barely see CCFL in the sun anyway. Not to mention, in sunlight, ccfl have an off-white hue to them and I don't like it. I don't mind only seeing the rings at dust/night. They'd be a more uniform color and last infinitely longer than fluorescent.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #90
guest1016
fanatical

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to guest1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
Bad idea, the brightest LEDs are only 20,000mcd, CCFLs are 40,000mcd which is why they can be seen in daytime. Also, with LEDs the light dispersion sucks.
I think my Led's look decent....
guest1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #91
n3985

My Ride: E92 soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls1000 View Post
Daytime pic? I'm not trying to rip on LED angel eyes, if you like yours then good, I am just trying to tell the facts.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #92
sstainba

The facts are that yes, CCFL is brighter than LED. But LED lasts indefinitely while CCFL ballast blow rather quickly. I have a set of CCFl on my car now. And there's a set of LED sitting beside my desk. :-)
Old 07-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #93
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
i hope my car doesnt come back with a bad ballast from the shop
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #94
Deep Blue
Banned

My Ride: M52TUB28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls1000 View Post
I just bought some 85,000 MCD LED lights. The view angle is 60 degree. It is 10mm. This will work perfectly on my GEN V DDE halos.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #95
Mikeee46coupe

My Ride: IS ON DPE's
I gave up on the POS Halos that came with my P46's, numerous ballast & ring failures, 2 near fires, not worth the hassle/risk

DPE Wheels, H&R, M3 Interior...way too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #96
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Ordered replacement ballast/inverter <<<(so as as not to wad anyones panties) from Vibelight late Wednesday morning, the website said please allow 1-2 days for processing due to July -August rush but the things were there in my mailbox by noon the next day through regular priority post!!!

Changed the connector from the power supply side, hooked it up and right on, two sets of halos again.

Vibelights quick service rocks, hope the product does as well. I had no heating issues (so far) I hooked the red wire to the red wire and the black to the brown, dunno if that helps you at all Custom3.
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 AM   #97
Custom3

yeah i did the same with the wire connections....for some reason they are still heating up....going to try buying a different fuse see if that helps....but yeah man....vibelights.com rocks...i also had very fast shipping...they are located in cali and im all the way down in jersey...i got them in 3 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
Ordered replacement ballast/inverter <<<(so as as not to wad anyones panties) from Vibelight late Wednesday morning, the website said please allow 1-2 days for processing due to July -August rush but the things were there in my mailbox by noon the next day through regular priority post!!!

Changed the connector from the power supply side, hooked it up and right on, two sets of halos again.

Vibelights quick service rocks, hope the product does as well. I had no heating issues (so far) I hooked the red wire to the red wire and the black to the brown, dunno if that helps you at all Custom3.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #98
sstainba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
yeah i did the same with the wire connections....for some reason they are still heating up....going to try buying a different fuse see if that helps....but yeah man....vibelights.com rocks...i also had very fast shipping...they are located in cali and im all the way down in jersey...i got them in 3 days
the fuse won't keep them from heating up... but it will keep them from melting. if they're still getting hot, you must have something wired wrong.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #99
sstainba

ya know, in all fairness, i've never felt mine while they were running. i put them in my headlight housing, so that's not really feasable for me. but, other ballasts (for larger fluorescent and metal halide lights) can get pretty hot, depending on the wattage of the lamp they're driving. i would expect them to be warm, but they should be hot to the point that you can't (don't want to) touch them.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #100
sstainba

lol... one more post. it could be your rings! see, if the anode and cathode inside the rings are corroded or they were poorly made, that would increase the resistance required to ignite them. in turn, that would increase the current required. *that* would in turn make your ballast pump out more power, ie, more heat. just a thought.