E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Manual Transmission Fluid Change DIY (Instructions & Pictures)

My transmission was not feeling so hot after 80,000 miles and a good number of track days. I picked up two quarts of Royal Purple Synchromax fluid in their cool squeeze bottles (this is key later).

There might be a better way to do this, but this is what I did.
*** Use this at your own risk ***

1) We need to raise both the front and rear of the car so it is level and off the ground. I started with the rear. My car is too low for the jack to fit under the sub-frame and have room to move the handle. I used the stock jack at the stock jack location for the rear to get the car up a bit more.

2) Jack the rear up from the sub-frame, do NOT use the diff. Also be sure you don't put the jack under that aluminum drive shaft thing. I double check that I have the jack pad in the right place before putting any weight on the jack.

3) Support the rear on jack stands. I used cement blocks under the stock rear jack points. Using cement blocks is not as safe, if you do use blocks make sure you have them with the open side up as they are strongest that way.

4) Jack up the front. Again my car is too low so I had to put the stock jack at the stock front jack location.

5) With the stock jack giving me the room to fit my proper jack under I was able to get the car in the air.

6) I put jack stands at the front stock jack locations and slowly lowered the car onto them.

7) I used a section of old cardboard to lay on (doesn't hurt your back as much) and slid under the car. Locate both the drain plug (on the bottom - picture below) and fill plug (on the passenger side up about 6 inches on the transmission). Mine were stuck so I sprayed some PB Blaster on them.

8) Remove the FILL plug FIRST. This prevents you from having an empty transmission and a stuck fill plug.

9) Put a catch pan below the drain plug and remove it. Try not to get fluid all over the place

10) While the fluid is draining we will setup our fill 'device'. As you will have noticed there isn't enough space to simply pour the fluid into the transmission. Lucky for me the Royal Purple Synchromax comes in a cool squeeze bottle. I rigged up 3 feet of tubing right into the fill hole on the tranny. You can see the clear plastic tube zip tied to the exhaust in this picture.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

11) Here is the rest of my rigged up fill tube. The yellow cap is off one of the Royal Purple bottles. The tube is jammed on the cap and zip tied for good measure. If you're wondering what the hell I'm doing, that is OK, I was thinking the same thing at this point.

12) I left the drain plug out and squeezed some fluid into the transmission. My hope was to flush out any residue or other junk that might be still sitting inside. Not sure if it worked or not but it didn't hurt.

13) With that done I cleaned and put the drain plug back in. As you are tightening a steel plug into an aluminum housing you want to be careful with the torque. I used my torque wrench to be safe. Tighten to 44lbs-ft (I think).

14) With the drain plug back in we can now fill up the transmission. You fill the transmission until the fluid is level with the bottom of the fill hole (this is why the car needs to be raised both front and back so it is level). I used my fill tube rig to fill up the transmission until it leaked out the fill hole.

15) With the transmission full, clean and reinstall the fill plug and torque to 44lbs-ft (I think).

16) I sprayed the transmission off with a bit of brake cleaner to remove the fluid that leaked out of the drain hole.

17) Lower your car off the block by reversing what you did in the first few steps.

18) Go for a drive and appreciate the improved gear box feel!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Arrows

My Ride: 2000 323i.
Send a message via AIM to Arrows Send a message via MSN to Arrows
Nice Writeup. :thumbsup"
Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
mikechungs330

My Ride: 330i
Nice write up... Lol thank god i have a mechanic shop so that i can lift the car.... So much easier.... Thanks for the pics
mikechungs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
mister wiggles

My Ride: 2009 335i x-drive
Send a message via AIM to mister wiggles
did replacing the fluids make a huge difference from before?
mister wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
tim330i
Owner/Admin

So far on the street it has been a huge improvement! I can't wait to hit the track and see how it is...I'm expecting good things.

Tim
Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
Low_bm

My Ride: 325i
nice write up!
Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
vegito

My Ride: BMW 318i E46 2002
what kind of oil can be use except MTF-LT-2 fluid. I life in holland and the dont sell Royal Purple Synchromax . My car has almost 201980 miles and i think the gearbox oil has never be changed please help.
vegito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister wiggles View Post
did replacing the fluids make a huge difference from before?
Just got back from the track and all I can say is WOW. The Royal Purple Syncromax made a huge difference. My shifts were so much better, I'd like to take all the credit for myself, but I know the new fluid really helped.

Tim
Old 08-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
very nice DIY
I think i'll try that

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:33 AM   #11
325myAZ

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegito View Post
what kind of oil can be use except MTF-LT-2 fluid. I life in holland and the dont sell Royal Purple Synchromax . My car has almost 201980 miles and i think the gearbox oil has never be changed please help.
Do they sell Red Line fluid in the Nederlands? If you can get some Red Line D4 ATF fluid, you can use that.

http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_tran_fluid.shtml
325myAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
so simple

My Ride: non bmw
how much fluid is needed? i just changed my fluid with redline, and i only needed about 1 1/2 bottles?
so simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
BringMeinWerkzeuge

My Ride: 328Ci, 540i, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by so simple View Post
how much fluid is needed? i just changed my fluid with redline, and i only needed about 1 1/2 bottles?
bump
Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
It's about 2 quarts. But fill it until it comes out of the fill plug.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Thanks for the DIY!

I just changed the fluid on my 330i today. I used ramps for the front then jacked up the rear to level the car, taking care to jack at the subframe instead of the diff or drive shaft support thing. Conveniently, the cradles on my Craftsman jack stands are the same size as the overall length of the rubber jack supports. The only difference with my car is the drain and fill plugs needed an 8mm hex socket.

Relatively easy job overall. Only issues/pains were:
1. tight clearance at the fill plug using 8mm Craftsman hex socket and torque wrench
2. using 5L BMW MTF-LT-2 jug and in/out hand fluid pump required a 2nd person. My girlfriend had to stand next to the car with the jug raised in order for it to work. Next time I will use one of those syringe-like pumps.
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #16
Bert336

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
from empty, how many bottles does it take to fill it up?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #17
LeMansteve

I was siphoning the fluid from a 5L jug. Based on the markings on the side of the jug, I used about 1.6L of fluid. If you are buying quart-sized bottles, I would think 2 would be enough.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
Flipe46d1722

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Flipe46d1722 Send a message via Skype™ to Flipe46d1722
What size is the tubing? Sounds like a dumb question but thought I should ask....
Old 01-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
LeMansteve

The tubing I used was (very approximately) 1cm ID and 2mm wall thickness. Fit nicely inside the fill hole. Tube length was about 8ft total, which was more than enough.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
dammit i've been putting this off for so long. almost 2 years already lol
when I did my honda I used one of those pump things that screw onto the bottle and looks like a soap dispenser. very easy to use

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote