E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 04:20 AM   #1
E55

My Ride: 04' S2000
Send a message via AIM to E55
Shoulder gave out when doing incline dumbbell press.

Hey guys, my left shoulder sorta gave out when I was doing incline dumbbell press. It wasn't a pop, but more like a shift. It felt as if my shoulder just shifted inwards real quick and my arm gave out (almost dropped the dumbbell on the family jewels too! ). It's not hurting right now, seems pretty minor to the other times this has happened. Anyways, I was just wondering what I can do to strengthen my joints or whatever needs to be strengthened in this case? Am I lacking some minerals or vitamins? I was doing 75lbs on each side, something that I can do without too much trouble. (I usually put up about 6 reps).
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
330man

My Ride: Is sold
Send a message via AIM to 330man
Rotator cuff exercises. Internal/external rotation. Scapular exercises. Have any physical therapist friends? Those are the people who specialize in this sort of thing. There are plenty of sources online if you don't have a PT connection or don't want to make an appt. to see one.

At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.
330man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
I've had this exact same thing happen with no injury, no tear, no pop, no nothin'. I was incline pressing 100s and my left arm just gave out. My buddy thought my shoulder would for sure be destroyed but it was bizarre... my shoulder gave out with no warning but it didn't even hurt. I took that as my que to cut that workout short and I haven't had an issue since.

That was at the end of '06 (I believe November) and I haven't had any issue since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
330man

The shoulder is a very weak joint due to the fact that is provides such great range of motion. Without strong cuff muscles dislocations are likely to occur. I would imagine that using free weights will build the cuff muscles naturally as you exercise but trying some cuff specific routines will answer this question for you.

At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
E55

Thanks for the help guys! I will be incorporating some rotator cuff exercises. Also, are there any supplements I should be taking that would help strengthen the joints? Maybe some glucosamine?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
330man

Glucosamine is unproven and it's purpose is to relieve joint pain. The shoulder joint looks very much like a golf ball sitting on a tee...the tee being the glenoid and the ball being the head of the humerus. Aside from the reltively weak joint capsule the only thing stabilizing that joint are your small cuff muscles (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, terres minor, subscapularis). The best way to strengthen these is by using low resistance, high repetition exercises. Therabands are a very popular choice...that is what I use.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
JByron

My Ride: Two-wheeled unicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
I've had this exact same thing happen with no injury, no tear, no pop, no nothin'. I was incline pressing 100s and my left arm just gave out. My buddy thought my shoulder would for sure be destroyed but it was bizarre... my shoulder gave out with no warning but it didn't even hurt. I took that as my que to cut that workout short and I haven't had an issue since.

That was at the end of '06 (I believe November) and I haven't had any issue since.
Happened to me twice. I dropped the 80lb dumbell right on my chest both times. Didn't feel a think though my chests are huge lol. My spotter freaked out
Old 08-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #8
E55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JByron View Post
Happened to me twice. I dropped the 80lb dumbell right on my chest both times. Didn't feel a think though my chests are huge lol. My spotter freaked out
I dropped it a 55lb dumbell right above my eye before. It wasn't a complete drop where I let go, but it was a somewhat slow drop. Thank god all I had was a bruise.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Has happened to me a couple of times, once while on a the BB press. I was lucky enough to fling most of the weight back though and caught the last hook on the rack before it came down on me. Scariest moment I have ever had while at the gym. It wasn't even my heavy set .

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:21 AM   #10
jaewonder

My Ride: 13 Cooper S
I'm afraid my shoulder's going to give out on me every time I do something that involves my shoulders.

I personally saw my buddy dislocate his shoulder while he was doing military dumbbell presses. He has dislocated the same shoulder two more times while weight lifting. No bueno.