E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
How To Keep Your A/C Off When Turning On Your Car....DIY

Tired of your A/C or Heater coming on EVERY time you start your car? Well heres how you can fix BMW,s brilliant idea.Although BMW made it this way it is very annoying.
Now I know not every E46 has this issue only some...So if your going to post "My car doesn't do that" then don't bother posting at all.

There are 2 methods to fixing this issue.

1:Pay a BMW dealer a hour worth of labor to program your cars computer to not trigger the A/C climate control when the car is turned on.(cost range from $70 to $130 dollars)

2:Buy the newer version A/C Climate Control unit and put it in yourself.(cost for a used A/C Climate Control on EBAY?? I got it for $40 dollars.)

I choose the second method for obvious reasons.

Tools needed
1:Screw Driver

And you will need the updated version A/C Climate Control Unit. Part # 64.11-6956319

It looks like this.

1st step is to remove these 2 screws, unclip the window switches and remove the plastic cover.

2nd step is to remove these 2 screws as well

3rd step is to open the little door if its not open yet and push it out.This piece is clipped on and might be a bit hard to take out.The arrows in the picture show were the clips are.Just push in and pull...be patient.

4th step is to remove the screws circled in the picture.

5th step you'll have to remove the whole plastic thingy.You can toss it to the right with out unplugging any switches as you can see on the bottom pic.Now put your hands under the A/C climate control unit and push out towards you.It pops right out.

6th step is to plug all the plugs from the old climate control to the new one.The bottom pictures shows you the difference in design.The bottom one is the newer version.

7th step is to put everything back again the same way you took it out.

Heres a picture of what the old version A/C Climate Control looks like.

and Heres a pictures of what the newer version looks like when installed.

I seen many threads started with people asking how to fix this issue.I hope this helps.Any questions feel free to ask

I also have a extra climate control unit for sale for those who would like to do this DIY. Im willing to let it go for $40 dollars with free shipping...those interested PM me
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Is that the M3 climate control?
paraklas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Just buying a new unit is no gaurentee it depends on if it was progamed like that before it was removed from the car.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
TX

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP ZPP
Send a message via ICQ to TX Send a message via AIM to TX Send a message via MSN to TX Send a message via Yahoo to TX
Why is the old style one so much thicker than the newer style?
TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
325Mark

My Ride: is riding low!
Send a message via AIM to 325Mark Send a message via MSN to 325Mark
What an effort!, Pull your radio out and grab the Climate control like its life itself and give it a good ole yank and it pops right out thats for free.

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

325Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
this is *much* easier than just pushing the button to turn it off... :-)
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Deep Blue
Banned

My Ride: M52TUB28
beside the different location of the buttons, what is the main difference between the old and new climinate control module?
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Custom3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Is that the M3 climate control?
This version of climate control comes in almost all E46 models including the M3.....except the CSL M3 which has a climate control with knobs instead of digital buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Just buying a new unit is no gaurentee it depends on if it was progamed like that before it was removed from the car.
This model will guarantee that it will work since all E46 with this version of climate control have been programmed from factory already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Why is the old style one so much thicker than the newer style?
Dont know....Updated version maybe uses smaller chips...as technology advances chips get smaller...just guessing here

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemx View Post
What an effort!, Pull your radio out and grab the Climate control like its life itself and give it a good ole yank and it pops right out thats for free.
Isnt these the same steps to remove the radio?I never removed it before but I heard you cant take out the radio without taking the climate control off first...I might be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstainba View Post
this is *much* easier than just pushing the button to turn it off... :-)
...it might be easier to just push the button...but after having your car for over a year it gets frustrating.Most of the times you forget and then realize its on when you already 30 minutes into your drive and its 100 degrees outside and you have the heater on low...worse feeling ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
beside the different location of the buttons, what is the main difference between the old and new climinate control module?
Besides the buttons being in different locations its smaller in size as mentioned above and its programmed not to come on automatically when you turn on your car..thats all...other then that they are identical
Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Custom3

all pms replied!!
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
No need to remove the lower frame assembly. It is a lot easier to simply pry the HVAC controls (be careful not to damage the finish), or remove the radio to push it from behind.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
bmwdakias

My Ride: 318i
ac to auto climate control? is ti possible?

hello i am prety new here, actually its my first post!
i bought an e46 e week ago and i have already put the DIY aux line in.
while opening the dash i noticed that wirings on manual a/c panel are the same with tha auto climate control in this post.
does this mean that if i buy an auto climate control panel i could instal it and work?
did someone try that before?
Thanks!
Angel.
bmwdakias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Custom3

Yes it will fit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdakias View Post
while opening the dash i noticed that wirings on manual a/c panel are the same with tha auto climate control in this post.
does this mean that if i buy an auto climate control panel i could instal it and work?
Thanks!
Angel.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
Sekurit

My Ride: BMW's & Nissan's...
I am so gonna try this. Thanks for the DIY. I love this freakin' site...
The guy who has a Lexus and a Corvette and claims to be thinking about moving up to a Veyron isn't a prospect. Those people tend to own 20 to 40 cars. They're not debating whether to get the Ferrari Enzo or the Veyron. They already have an Enzo.
- John Hill...Bugatti's Market Manager
Sekurit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #14
Custom3

Let us know how it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekurit View Post
I am so gonna try this. Thanks for the DIY. I love this freakin' site...
Old 10-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
bimmersecks

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdakias View Post
Thanks!
Angel.

Did you ever try this to see if it will work, can anyone else confirm that it's "plug and play?"
bimmersecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
BM-MAN

My Ride: Hot 3 coupe
Send a message via MSN to BM-MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
...it might be easier to just push the button...but after having your car for over a year it gets frustrating.Most of the times you forget and then realize its on when you already 30 minutes into your drive and its 100 degrees outside and you have the heater on low...worse feeling ever

This is sooooo true. I hate when that happens. Great info btw. Just added this to my diy list!
BM-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
nice!

but i can't justify buying a new one because of it turning on. lol. since it goes on low it is fine to circulate the ambient air. lol.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #18
Custom3

^ nice picture...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #19
bmw_dna
Modded

My Ride: e60 525 - e46 vert
you still have a spare set?
bmw_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #20
joehall71

My Ride: e46 M3 vert, X5 3.0,
Mine dosen't turn on with the car. How can I get it to turn on? Unless I turn the car off with it left on it doesn't come on until I press the button.