E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
naraM

My Ride: JDM
Predator Chromiums

Hey

I was just wondering when you guys put your pred chroms on did you have to change any fuses? i dont remeber if i did. Second do you know wher the fuse box is?
naraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
The Predator Chromiums come with a built in fuse, no need to change anything out.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
you'll want to swap the suplied fuse (5A) for a 1.5A.
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstainba View Post
you'll want to swap the suplied fuse (5A) for a 1.5A.

No sir. Run a 5AMP.
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
sstainba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
No sir. Run a 5AMP.
Um... no sir. 5As is about 3time the maximum rating for the ballasts. Perhaps you should look at the manufacture specs for the ballasts. And if you insist that they should have a 5A fuse, then by regulations, the wire used in the ballasts is insufficient to carry the current. You can also check up on that.

A 5A fuse is most definitely too large for this application.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Sharky06

My Ride: 06 ZHP 6-SP
Send a message via AIM to Sharky06
No you dont need to change the fuse. It should be fine with the 5A. Fuse box is normally on top right( view from front of the engine facing the car.)
Old 08-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Our engineer has returned the results that 5Amp is exactly what should be in there. Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
rmatt8748

My Ride: a car
Send a message via AIM to rmatt8748
i had the normal 5A fuse back in my m3 with 6k predator chromiums

no issues whatsoever

umnitza = awesome vendor
rmatt8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
sstainba

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Our engineer has returned the results that 5Amp is exactly what should be in there. Thanks
Your engineer is wrong. The wire leads for those are not even rated to handle that. The 20 AWG wire is rated at a max of 1.5A for power transmission. So by leaving that 5A fuse in there, you are allowing a 33% increase in the rated current capacity. That is dangerous. The entire point of the fuse is to protect the components downstream. If the fuse is too large, it doesn't do squat. You might as well have a 10A or 20A in there for all the good it will do.

If 5A was "just right" that would allow each ballast to pull approximately 35Watts of power. That is ridiculous! Even a fluorescent bulb for home use doesn't normally go above 15Watts.

If your engineer really thinks that, he's an idiot and should be fired.

Last edited by sstainba; 08-06-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
sstainba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt8748 View Post
i had the normal 5A fuse back in my m3 with 6k predator chromiums

no issues whatsoever

umnitza = awesome vendor

The problem is that you apparently don't understand the purpose of the fuse. Having a larger-than-needed one will not cause any problems - until there is a short. If a ballast shorts out and your fuse is too large, it will let the ballast burn, which can damage the wire and your car.

Surely there is someone else on here who is an electrician or an electrical engineer...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #11
umnitza

We appreciate your concern for yourself and your fellow man, but we trust our engineers and in the 6+ years we've been working with them, we have not had a need to change the parts.

Should that need arise, we'll announce it here.

Additionally, from a non-engineering and purely field testing perspective the fuse has proven to be effective at doing exactly what it's designed to do.

Thank you.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
sstainba

Quote:
We appreciate your concern for yourself and your fellow man, but we trust our engineers and in the 6+ years we've been working with them, we have not had a need to change the parts.

Additionally, from a non-engineering and purely field testing perspective the fuse has proven to be effective at doing exactly what it's designed to do.

Thank you.
so damn then math and wire regulations... why bother putting a fuse in at all? it's cheaper not to.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #13
logikgr

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to logikgr
Quote:
so damn then math and wire regulations... why bother putting a fuse in at all? it's cheaper not to.
I understand where you are coming from Sstainba. No need to make much noise. Just sit back, relax and wait for your, "I told you so.", moment.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #14
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Quote:

Thank you.
Hurray for field testing, I've had their gen 1s on my 2k 328i for almost 4+ years and I haven't had to replace it once. The only issue I've had with it was a wiring fault and not due to their design. When it came to lighting I only trust matt and his fine crew of installers.

Last edited by SmoKeNfLY; 08-07-2007 at 01:25 AM. Reason: cause I felt like it
SmoKeNfLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:09 AM   #15
Visor328i

My Ride: rolls on VS-XX
What's the warranty on Predator Chromiums ?? I bought mine from Jlevi almost 2 years ago and some wire connectors melted, one ring is split in half, they have fallen apart in the last few months and now they don't work at all...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:05 AM   #16
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Send your questions over to matt at info@umnitza.com.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #17
sstainba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor328i View Post
What's the warranty on Predator Chromiums ?? I bought mine from Jlevi almost 2 years ago and some wire connectors melted, one ring is split in half, they have fallen apart in the last few months and now they don't work at all...
hmm... wires melted... i wonder if that has anything to do with the fuse being to big for them???
Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #18
umnitza

Quote:
hmm... wires melted... i wonder if that has anything to do with the fuse being to big for them???
Without knowing his facts, please don't speculate.
If he chooses, he can contact the original retailer and discuss his situation. We've - Umnitza and our partners and retailers - have never let a customer down when it comes to warranty or repair.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #19
umnitza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor328i View Post
The warranty is a lifetime.

Wire connectors not maintaining their connection are a direct result of moisture getting into them. If they are completely insulated at the time of install, you'll have many years of usage out of them without issues.

When a ring splits in half, this is something you will need to describe in more detail to your retailer - in your case JLevi and they can assist you.

Not working means that your fuse popped, as it should have, if it detected a "raised" condition - otherwise known as a short. You should go through all the troubleshooting steps with your retailer.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #20
sstainba

melted wires isn't really "speculation." a fuse is designed to stop that exact thing. you even stated, erroneously, that "not working" means the fuse blew. so melted wires + blown fuse = short. however, the melted wires are a result of a fuse that is not of the correct (smaller) rating. had the fuse been smaller, it most likely would have blown before the wires melted.

anyway, "not working" does not absolutely mean the fuse is blown. it could be that the ballasts are just dead (open, not shorted) or that the rings have cracked or the ring electrodes have become to corroded to maintain an arc.

oh, and by "cracked ring" i mean that the gas discharge tube inside the plastic housing has cracked. that would allow the gas to escape and prevent a plasma arc from forming between the electrodes. --> no light.