E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #21
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
I appreciate your attempts to assist the customer, but we'll handle it from here if he contacts us or his retailer. Thank you.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #22
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
hey guys what part of the wiring do you guys cover and with what, i heard heat shrink and that stuff, tnx alot. im going to need this for my up coming installation.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #24
n2Bimmer

im sorry i didnt see anything on protecting the wires, please if someone can direct or inform me on how to protect the wires i would really appreciate it. tnx one again.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #25
umnitza

Basic electrical tape will be sufficient or the better method is to shrink wrap it.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #26
n2Bimmer

tnx alot umnitza
Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #27
schnitzer323ci

My Ride: 2000 323ci
^Sstainba I think you're beating a dead horse. This issue has been brought up in many, many threads. Some ppl just like to pay more for products. I'll never understand it
Old 08-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #28
rmatt8748

My Ride: a car
Send a message via AIM to rmatt8748
well maybe I'm wrong, i had them with 5A fuse, and while I never had any problems, I no longer have my car.

For what it's worth, any dealing's I've had with Umnitza were very straight forward. the install was easy, and the halo's looked fantastic on the car.

I'm no electrician, and no electrical engineer, 5A does seem a bit high, if it works fine with a lower fuse, then i see no issue in swapping it out, although who knows what that would do with warranty issues.

Some people just suggest getting $70 ebay ones, but from researching my own purchase, its a little iffy what you get, sometimes the fitment isn't very good, they might be kinda dim, or not evenly lit, and they might fall off or fail, and i doubt that they have any sort of warranty or customer service.

That all being said, I don't see why Umnitza would want to have the "wrong" fuse in there. It makes no sense for them. They want their products to work, and last long, someone who buys something from them and has it break 1.5 years down the road probably isn't going to buy another... it's not like cars with built in obsolesce.
rmatt8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #29
Bailey228

My Ride: 99 323i Alpine White
While I've been having my own fun with Umnitza on another post, I've been following this thread closely as well.

I'm going to chime in here and add my two cents... and I feel my opinion is valid as I am an electronic technologist.

The 5A fuse is DEFINITELY over rated for this application. Anyone who understands basic electronics can confirm this by doing the math. I don't know who Umnitza uses as an 'engineer' but I guarantee that he does not understand the principles stated by sstainba.

As far as 'beating a dead horse' goes, I salute sstainba for his efforts. The P46's supplied by Umnitza are a costly accident waiting to happen. And I'm not even going to start in on the 'customer service' thing, as this is being addressed in another thread.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #30
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Agreed.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #31
schnitzer323ci

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey228 View Post
As far as 'beating a dead horse' goes, I salute sstainba for his efforts. The P46's supplied by Umnitza are a costly accident waiting to happen. And I'm not even going to start in on the 'customer service' thing, as this is being addressed in another thread.
I agree, and said as much in another thread. He's really going to bat on the whole safety of the fuses.

As far as the $80 ebay ones... they are the same lights. The sponsors just went and had fancy packages made and added a "remote start" harness which is just $10 worth of electronic parts available at any autozone. That's why they have to charge so much for them probably. They'll say they are different lights... but all retailers say that about their product. They have to in order to stand out. Fanatics don't tell other fanatics to hurt the sponsors. They do it to help the other fanatics out there who aren't as techno savvy and will pay the high price just to buy from a retailer. Same ppl will go to best buy instead of a wholesale place. Soooo... it's just an informative thing to keep mentioning the ebay kits.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #32
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
well said.
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #33
umnitza

I can't believe that 3 years after the predator chromiums were released we still continue to have these dissenting opinions at least on a monthly basis from self-proclaimed engineering experts at all levels.

As I've mentioned to you on at least 3 occasions - Sstainba - I appreciate your efforts to try to find a more "safe" solution to whatever it is you find wrong with our product.

However, you're on a witch hunt at this point on items you don't have the detailed knowledge of. We have 3 engineers, 2 of them with 20+ years of electronics experience - one of them owns his own electronics consulting company. What he knows could fill a book, and while you maybe just as good as him - hopefully you are because you've certainly come across as knowing as much - you don't have direct knowledge of our products.

Moving on, Predator Chromiums are worth every penny people are willing to pay for them. Considering we never seem to be able to predict the ever increasing demand for them, it's safe to say we're doing something right by relying on a very strong engineering resource and using our market knowledge to make minor improvements that are then approved by these engineers.

Why are predator chromiums worth the 2X money?

1) they are technologically better on the rings. it's obvious side by side, the rings are brighter, have more brilliance, fit better, and are designed for many different cars in one shot <-- and this isn't even going into the proprietary things we do to them to keep them better.

2) they are ALWAYS better on support, we never ever let a customer hang in the wind. USPS and Fedex can let you hang in the wind, we never do. If you have not received a part, it's far easier to call us and say - hey, I don't have the part, than to stir drama for drama's sake on a forum where everyoen will simply tell you - did you contact the vendor?

3) Finally, what you don't know from above on the internals of our product is what we will not disclose. We make improvements to components and 'drivers' all the time to do things better, brighter, longer lasting, etc.

Those are only 3 KEY/Important differences in the product. I didn't even touch upon the professionally designed and MFG'ed wiring harness (US made), or the quality and years of experience and instructions available.

Call it what you will, but don't use your considerable engineering knowledge to continue your witch hunt.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #34
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Let me shed a little light on our P46's as there is a lot information, some true, some not, being thrown around here.

Our P46's use a DEPO based projector headlight. Just like the headlights you can purchase on ebay. What you get from ebay is just the base headlight with little tiny 194 bulbs that create a dim "angel eye" effect. What sets our P46's apart in that regard is that we spend over an hour on each headlight to modify and custom install our Predator rings into the housings. The means ripping out all of the 194 bulbs, all the wiring, and molding in our rings (which are delicate and require skilled handling to correctly install) into the housings. We prewire them so that all you have to do is install the housing, the ballasts are preinstalled, the rings are preinstalled.

We also package our P46's together with higher quality HID kits than what you would get on ebay. Our ProLumen kits use a premium quality digital ballast that will simply last longer and out perform the cheaper copies out there. We offer a cheaper kit, our Piccolo kit. I don't recommend it if you want the highest quality available, in fact we don't package them with our P46's because the P46 is a premium product. Our Projector46's are a premium product and will only be equipped with our highest quality equipment.

The other assurance you get with the P46 is a lifetime warranty. I cannot speak for other vendors offering P46's but I can tell you that our replacement process is as quick and hassle free as possible. Yes, we require you to send in the defective piece before. Once we receive it, we test the item and send out a replacement within 1 day. The reason for this is we have been burned too many times by customers who claim they have a defective bulb, defective ballast, or defective ring and really do not need a replacement.

Just like angel eyes, you can go on ebay and package together a set of DEPO headlights, a cheaper HID kit, custom do the wiring, custom do the rings if you want. Similarly, you can go on ebay, purchase rings that look like Predator Chromiums, they aren't but if you are resorting to ebay you probably don't care about the differences and worry more about pricing than premium quality (which is TOTALLY FINE!, we don't cater to those customers), go to radio shack and custom fab a wiring harness, and figure out the install and engineering yourself. It's all entirely possible.

What we cater to is the customer that does not want to deal with all this custom installation and guess work. We offer a no worry product that includes everything you need. You can go out and purchase a base 3-series, mod up the engine, upgrade the suspension, spruce up the interior etc...basically make it look like an M3. Or you can purchase an M3, pay more yes, but have a full warranty, the sanity that it will work and will be backed, and does not require any fiddling. There are customers out there that want to do their own work, that's great and we encourage it. You learn your car by modding, go for it

For those that want a kit that just works, is backed and includes everything you need...then come to us. We have that product for you.

As Umnitza has correctly stated, I will allow the amount of kits and P46's we have out in the field do the explaining. If warranty issues were such a prominent problem, WE would lose money. It doesn't make sense financially or for our reputation to sell a product that does not work. It's less hassle for us, less hassle for our customer and cheaper to just sell you quality. That's what we strive to do. A certain number of headlights will fail, yes. And that is what the warranty is for. BMW builds a luxury vehicle that is expected to be perfect, a certain number will have electrical issues. That is what their warranty is for.

Likewise, if Consumer reports based their analysis of BMW's reliability on this forum, BMW would be in last place hands down. That's because this forum is designed to have people report their problems and get them fixed. Not report that their car works perfectly, because it should. If you were researching BMW and ONLY read this forum, you would be HORRIFIED. Sub frame issues, electrical issues, dealer issues etc...But that is a small selection of the vehicles BMW produces and to be fair, most things that get posted are blown out of proportion. Regardless, the number of issues we have with P46's is a SMALL fraction of the amount of perfectly working units out there. Why would it be one of our top selling products if it did not work?

I hope that at least clears up some confusion and allows you to see where we are coming from.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:45 AM   #35
Bailey228

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
2) they are ALWAYS better on support, we never ever let a customer hang in the wind. USPS and Fedex can let you hang in the wind, we never do. If you have not received a part, it's far easier to call us and say - hey, I don't have the part, than to stir drama for drama's sake on a forum where everyoen will simply tell you - did you contact the vendor?

Those are only 3 KEY/Important differences in the product. I didn't even touch upon the professionally designed and MFG'ed wiring harness (US made), or the quality and years of experience and instructions available.
I can't believe I just read this drivel! Better on SUPPORT?? Give me strength!! I sent your product back to you for replacement by UPS AIR overnight (and it was signed for on your end). 3 weeks later you still had not acknowledged receipt of the product and had not shipped the products back. ONLY after I e-mailed you did I get the response "Glad you contacted us, we will be shipping them out right away" - 5 weeks after that, for a total of 8 weeks I received the parts. I can't help but feel that if I hadn't asked, I'd of never heard from you again. And quit blaming USPS / UPS / FEDEX or whoever. I can read ship dates and I can clearly see when the package crosses through customs - so your claim of poor shipping is just BS. It's been a month since my last return, and still no sign of my ballast.

"Professionally designed and MFG'd wiring harness"... I don't think so! My harness would not work as designed, so I had to correct the issues before the install. And the installation instructions were non existent. I had to contact you for a link. Your replacement ballasts had different connectors. This is fine if you don't mind cut/solder/crimp... but you imply that I'm paying extra for a professionally engineered kit that shouldn't require this.

You acknowledged the fact that the high beam sockets do not properly fit.

You did not send the Xenix bulbs for the high beams as promised - I had to defend my position by e-mail before you agreed to ship them out - again with some delay.

Your post above is a joke and anyone who reads this should be aware! Stay away from Umnitza. If you must purchase these things, and by no means am I suggesting you do, buy from JLEVI. Even they have acknowledged the poor support offered from Umnitza.

Bottom line... BUYER BEWARE!!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #36
sstainba

i like how you keep singling me out by name... when there are plenty of other people like ^^^ who obviously are having problems with your far superior product. i have to agree with him, on the face of it, that post looks like bs.

your engineers' pinions notwithstanding - the math of it does NOT lie and is NOT an opinion. the fuse is too large.

of perhaps it's all of these "proprietary" things you do to the ballasts that make them fail faster. it certainly seems that your ballasts do not last as nearly everyone is having trouble with them.

you can question my intelligence and engineering know-how all you like, but in the end more and more customers are getting pissed and/or deciding against your wonderous products.

i couldn't care less if you believe me. i've told you the facts of the situation and if you're hell-bent on ignoring them, so be it. i'll continue to recommend a smaller fuse to protect people's cars.

oh.... and if a 5A is "just right" - why is it that a 1.5A works for people as well? that obviously implies that these ballasts pull <1.5A of power in usual operation (since it doesn't blow). so why on earth would you use a 5A ???
Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #37
sstainba

yet another experience with the "always better customer service":

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06
WTF is up with these delays in ballasts? it took me almost a month to get my replacement ballast, n i was pretty pissed.
what a joke.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #38
umnitza

Ballasts are made in the thousands for us. Sometimes, you can catch us in between build cycles as we continue to test them and insure proper operability.

If you need assistance, we have a new customer service manager Tom, email him, and he will take care of you - sales@umnitza.com

Individual cases vary by details and while it's easy to be upset, it's equally easy to request resolution through Tom.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #39
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey228 View Post
...Your post above is a joke and anyone who reads this should be aware! Stay away from Umnitza. If you must purchase these things, and by no means am I suggesting you do, buy from JLEVI. Even they have acknowledged the poor support offered from Umnitza.

Bottom line... BUYER BEWARE!!
I don't want to get into the details of this argument, but I just want to state that I've been a customer of Umnitza for a good number of years, purchasing and getting installation assistance from them with no issues whatsoever. There are always going to be people who will have issues but in the grand scheme of things, out of the hundreds of kits they sell, only maybe a little more than a dozen people have had issues with them. Take it easy, I care about my bimmer just as much as the next fanatic and if someone messes up my car, I would be be same as you, however, I do give the benefit of the doubt and I tend to believe that people do make mistakes and finger pointing never did any good. It is better to maintain a professional manner when dealing with issues then to put people on blast. My .02
Old 08-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #40
Bailey228

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstainba View Post
... and if a 5A is "just right" - why is it that a 1.5A works for people as well? that obviously implies that these ballasts pull <1.5A of power in usual operation (since it doesn't blow). so why on earth would you use a 5A ???
Well you can't get anymore straight forward than that...