E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #41
bimmerboy36

My Ride: 02 Sk+ 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclip View Post
Wow, its surprising that someone would put that garbage paint on their wheels. I would be very surprised if that crappy paint lasts more than a few months.
Quote:
Hey "breakmywallet, obviously your wallet is already broken if you can't afford to have your wheels professionally powdercoated. You should paint your whole car with spray paint.
you're right. Those comments sure were "constructive"

C.S.U.N. Fanatics Sign Up!!!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...51#post4894951
bimmerboy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #42
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325

Last edited by jclip; 09-23-2007 at 08:51 PM.
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #43
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
is there some kinda high class spraypaint?

i dont see why people talk about bmws like theyre porsche's. you see them just as much as hondas.

thats not constructive criticism. paint is paint.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:55 PM   #44
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that I would not recommend putting a low grade spray paint on my wheels. I did not talk any $hit in any way, I simply stated that I was suprised that someone would use that product on their BMW. With that being said, I cant see that paint being too durable. I guess constructive criticism is looked down upon on this forum.
I have to agree that if the DIY is lacking in some regards to products used it's better to bring it up and fix than to have others do the same mistake.
with that said, he didn't do that very constructively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
is there some kinda high class spraypaint?

i dont see why people talk about bmws like theyre porsche's. you see them just as much as hondas.

thats not constructive criticism. paint is paint.

paint is not simply paint. that's an interior/exterior low grade quick dry spray can paint. wheels take a lot of heat cycling, road abuse, and water on it when hot. wheel specialty paint (even in a rattle can) is a much more durable product.
i won't even get into the honda=bmw=porsche thinking.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #45
BreakMyWallet

if youre anal then go buy better paint. mine is holding up just fine with a couple thousand miles on them already. and a huge rain storm that hit cali the other day. and jon had them on his ride for a lot longer than me without any problems whatsoever. i have no problem buying something thats cheap and works very well. which this does
Old 09-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #46
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I honestly was skeptical when I clicked on the post to see the results but man they turned out excellent. very impressive. I may have to try that with my stock 17s
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #47
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
did you buff and polish after you wetsanded?

let me know how the painting turns out! id love to see it
Yes I buffed and polished after I wet sanded. Rims are actually painted now, I will post finished pic after they are done. AND Dont listen to that guy, he has no clue. I got the same **** from a friend of mine and the rims look AWSOME after I painted them and I havent even put the clear coat on them yet. I want to make sure that the paint is completly dry before I wet sand the finish then clear coat them. Question how many min. should I wait before each coat of clear that I apply?

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #48
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
This will be my last time I post a response on this thread, I promise. What I was saying is that a laquer based paint (spray paint) is not durable. It would be much better to use a 2 part acrylic based urethane paint which requires a catalyst to cure. Obviously, you cannot buy a 2 part urethane in a spray style can; you would need an air powered spray gun along with a compressor and the appropriate paint/catalyst/thinners. Again, I am skeptical of the durability of a laquer based rattle can paint, as it has to withstand the very high temperature brake dust. And to Raptorman5174, I do have a clue of what I'm talking about. And to all others who wish to paint their wheels with spray cans, the best of luck.
Peace
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #49
BreakMyWallet

no problem man. everyone has their opinions. i stated that im not a pro just wanted to help people who were on a budget and wanted a decent job done. no hard feelings.

ayo raptor. im not sure depends on the clear. i only waited about 15 minutes. dries pretty fast in the sun.

id say 30 to be safe.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #50
00_e46er

My Ride: is a bimmer... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post
Yes I buffed and polished after I wet sanded. Rims are actually painted now, I will post finished pic after they are done. AND Dont listen to that guy, he has no clue. I got the same **** from a friend of mine and the rims look AWSOME after I painted them and I havent even put the clear coat on them yet. I want to make sure that the paint is completly dry before I wet sand the finish then clear coat them. Question how many min. should I wait before each coat of clear that I apply?
bump... any updates on the pics.. im about to paint my stockies and would really like to see how yours came out...

00_e46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #51
raptorman5174

This was the last coat of paint before I cleared them. I have cleared them and taken the tape off but havent taken pics of that yet. Maybe today. There is a slight rough texture on them now. They were silcky smooth after I wet sanded them though. What I'm going to do now is take a rubbing compound and and see if I can get them to really shine.

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #52
1edyson
Yoda Rocks!

My Ride: 325CI
Send a message via AIM to 1edyson
i am getting a plethora of DIY ideas today, why even work today, i should play with my car! I have a set of m68's i'm willing to fock around and experiment with for something like this, nice write up and thx!

1edyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #53
raptorman5174

Ok here we go, The finished product came out, not to bad. I can put them on the car now if I want but instead I bought some compound that will smooth out the finish even more and make them brighter. The process was time consuming and you definatly need to take your time with it. Dont rush and make sure that the prep work is good and the finish will come out excelent. Duplicolor makes paint made for rims. Its a bit mor expensive then normal spray paint but worth it. I'm itching to put them on my car but winter is coming here in New Jersey and if you live in the north east, you know what im talking about.

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #54
BreakMyWallet

sick bro!!! they look great!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #55
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
wow, awesome DIY really considering doing something like this to my csls now.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #56
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.

My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post

Ok here we go, The finished product came out, not to bad. I can put them on the car now if I want but instead I bought some compound that will smooth out the finish even more and make them brighter.
Mind if I ask which compound you're using? I just got my wheels refinsihed, and there are some spots that are rough. I called the guy, and he said try some compund, if not bring it back. Thanks bro, .
Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #57
raptorman5174

I just bought some cheap turtle wax compund. I figure the cheap stuff would be a little grittyer and thats what I need. And thanks for all the compliments guys!

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #58
EurosportAMG

My Ride: bm mb
awesome DIY

btw if anyone wants to be really picky about the paint, i think Wurth makes the paint for all the german car wheels

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wus-892181.html

i'll have to tackle this project one of these days for sure
EurosportAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #59
lilindienplaya

My Ride: G dirty 5
Send a message via AIM to lilindienplaya
How well is the paint holding up on your wheels because i can only imagine the wheels getting chip marks
lilindienplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #60
BreakMyWallet

man hasnt had 1 chip from the road yet!!

just the stuff from when i first painted it and chipped the back wheel very tiny on accident

checked today while i was washing the car