E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
please help my current diet

hey guys heres a list of what i generally eat every day. i know its far from the best diet but was hoping for some feedback/suggestions for improvement. im trying to balance what i eat and my workout program for best results (want to feel better, not necessarily look better). also, putting on any weight has always been a problem. something with my metabolism that no matter what i eat, i dont gain anything. im 5'10 and only 120lbs

skip an actual breakfast meal. just drink a high-protein ensure supplement

afternoon:
6'' subway turkey breast on white bread, double meat
lettuce, cucumber and pickle veggies
mustard and oil
2 chocolate chip cookies (became a bad habit)

in-between snacks (usually one of the following):
one of those 6'' personal pizzas (cheese)
bowl of cereal (farina or oatmeal)
shrimp and rice bowl

dinner: (not really a variety here since my mom does the cooking)
pork chops and mashed potatoes, side of corn
chicken breast and leg with side of potatoes
spaghetti and meatballs
usually consists of one serving of meat and a side dish

late evening/early am hours (after hour and 15 min work out):
12 oz protein shake made with 2% milk, oats
something from mcdonalds since its the only place open
usually a double-quarter pounder, cheese and small fry
10 piece chicken nuggets with small fry

please chime in with any input you may have...im willing to completely change my diet if need be
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
1. Breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
bmdubalicious

My Ride: 03 325i
id say lose the mcdonalds
bmdubalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
you are eating subway that is why! You are actually losing weight!

Thanks Jarred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDaddy View Post
Both BMW greensboro. Difference is, now those idiots can show how stupid they are through social media. And now they have no shame about it. This is why society needs bullying.
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSTRYKERx View Post
hey guys heres a list of what i generally eat every day. i know its far from the best diet but was hoping for some feedback/suggestions for improvement. im trying to balance what i eat and my workout program for best results (want to feel better, not necessarily look better). also, putting on any weight has always been a problem. something with my metabolism that no matter what i eat, i dont gain anything. im 5'10 and only 120lbs

Total crap. "High" is obviously relative, and Ensure is "high protein" if you're Nichole Ritchie, but it's pretty much water for anyone else. Eat Eggs and oatmeal for breakfast.

afternoon:
mustard and oil

White bread is garbage, Subway has really processed meats. Cookies aren't going to kill you, but it shouldn't be a daily thing. Subway, while far from health food, is at least a bit better than McD's or the BK Lounge.

shrimp and rice bowl

All crap. Snack on nuts, fruit, etc.

spaghetti and meatballs

Probably high in sodium but that's not really a big issue for you.

At least have one of those protein shakes in the AM as an attempt at breakfast. McD's isn't the worst, but you should not be eating something like that late at night. I'll admit that, once in a blue moon, I will have a QPC, but that's it - NO FRIES. The QPC isn't AWFUL for you - it's at least got a decent amount of protein - but fries are PURE garbage. Cook something man... it ain't hard.

please chime in with any input you may have...im willing to completely change my diet if need be
You need to get some chicken breasts, fish, lettuce, spinach, etc in your diet.

You're eating a lot of calories that provide next to no real nutrition - that's why you find it hard to gain weight. Eat healthy foods but eat a lot and don't punish yourself... if you need a burger, get a burger. Just don't go crazy.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
M3bluewater

My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
Quote:

If you like drinks, first thing you need is whey powder: go oats, whey, skim milk, banana in a blender. yummy. or else, learn to love egg whites...

you need a snack in here:
can of tuna with salsa, apple with natural PB, milk

afternoon:
6'' subway turkey breast on white (wheat) bread, double meat
mustard and oil
2 chocolate chip cookies (became a bad habit) cut the cookies

one of those 6'' personal pizzas (cheese) no on the pizza
bowl of cereal (farina or oatmeal) oats are perfect here just add some protein source like egg whites or whey again and EFAs.
shrimp and rice bowl this can be good (or bad) as well. try to make it brown rice if you can and not swimming in sauce. add veggies with it like broccoli.

spaghetti and meatballs
i understand the situation. eat what she makes, just keep the meat lean as possible, and YOU CAN NEVER ADD ENOUGH VEGGIES. Im assuming this is PreWO so carbs are OK here too.

late evening/early am hours (after hour and 15 min work out) do it immediately post workout:
12 oz protein shake made with 2% milk, oats make it fat free. fat slows/hinders absorbtion. your body is like a sponge after you lift so you want to shuttle the nutrients ASAP!
NO MCDONALDS go home and eat fat free cottage cheese with almonds. its cheap, healthy, and always there for you at home..

my thoughts in red..

As I was reading through and correcting, I noticed a few things that you need to try to do. What I changed is just a suggestion to really help you feel better. This should be the guidelines for a good diet:

1. eat a big healthy breakfast
2. eat every 2-3 hours
3. eat enough healthy fats
4. lean protein with every meal
5. green veggies as much as possible
6. PWO should be a protein, carb cocktail consumed ASAP

Also, It looks like you are working out really late, is there anyway you can get into the gym earlier?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
M3bluewater

well I guess Dave beat me to it....
Old 08-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3bluewater View Post
well I guess Dave beat me to it....
I WIN.

Quote:

Old 08-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
I'm late to the party

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
Five_seveN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Total crap. "High" is obviously relative, and Ensure is "high protein" if you're Nichole Ritchie, but it's pretty much water for anyone else. Eat Eggs and oatmeal for breakfast.

White bread is garbage, Subway has really processed meats. Cookies aren't going to kill you, but it shouldn't be a daily thing. Subway, while far from health food, is at least a bit better than McD's or the BK Lounge.

All crap. Snack on nuts, fruit, etc.

Probably high in sodium but that's not really a big issue for you.

At least have one of those protein shakes in the AM as an attempt at breakfast. McD's isn't the worst, but you should not be eating something like that late at night. I'll admit that, once in a blue moon, I will have a QPC, but that's it - NO FRIES. The QPC isn't AWFUL for you - it's at least got a decent amount of protein - but fries are PURE garbage. Cook something man... it ain't hard.

You need to get some chicken breasts, fish, lettuce, spinach, etc in your diet.

You're eating a lot of calories that provide next to no real nutrition - that's why you find it hard to gain weight. Eat healthy foods but eat a lot and don't punish yourself... if you need a burger, get a burger. Just don't go crazy.
thanks dave. couple things:
- never could eat eggs in my life. just hate them all together, dont know why. can i substitute a whey protein shake in the morning along with something else? is it safe to have a protein shake twice a day, along with the rest of the diet?

- whats a good serving size for the fruit and nut snacks? what do you recommend i use?

Quote:

If you like drinks, first thing you need is whey powder: go oats, whey, skim milk, banana in a blender. yummy. or else, learn to love egg whites...

you need a snack in here:
can of tuna with salsa, apple with natural PB, milk

bowl of cereal (farina or oatmeal) oats are perfect here just add some protein source like egg whites or whey again and EFAs.
shrimp and rice bowl this can be good (or bad) as well. try to make it brown rice if you can and not swimming in sauce. add veggies with it like broccoli.

i understand the situation. eat what she makes, just keep the meat lean as possible, and YOU CAN NEVER ADD ENOUGH VEGGIES. Im assuming this is PreWO so carbs are OK here too.

late evening/early am hours (after hour and 15 min work out) do it immediately post workout:
12 oz protein shake made with 2% milk, oats make it fat free. fat slows/hinders absorbtion. your body is like a sponge after you lift so you want to shuttle the nutrients ASAP!
NO MCDONALDS go home and eat fat free cottage cheese with almonds. its cheap, healthy, and always there for you at home..

my thoughts in red..

As I was reading through and correcting, I noticed a few things that you need to try to do. What I changed is just a suggestion to really help you feel better. This should be the guidelines for a good diet:

1. eat a big healthy breakfast
2. eat every 2-3 hours
3. eat enough healthy fats
4. lean protein with every meal
5. green veggies as much as possible
6. PWO should be a protein, carb cocktail consumed ASAP

Also, It looks like you are working out really late, is there anyway you can get into the gym earlier?
thanks for the help. couple things as well:
- again, is it safe to start the day with a protein shake and then have another one post workout?

- the PBJ snack in the middle sounds like a great idea

- is there another source of whey protein i could use besides the powder for the bowl of oatmeal?

- i usually have the shake 1 hour after workout (following manufacturer's directions). should i switch to immediately after im done lifting?

- again, if i add a whey shake to breakfast, what else should i have with it. cant eat eggs

- whats a good source of lean protein that i could supplement in every meal (something i can actually eat)?

- what is PWO?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
M3bluewater

Quote:
thanks dave. couple things:
- never could eat eggs in my life. just hate them all together, dont know why. can i substitute a whey protein shake in the morning along with something else? is it safe to have a protein shake twice a day, along with the rest of the diet?
yes. and yes.
- whats a good serving size for the fruit and nut snacks? what do you recommend i use?
a piece of fruit (an apple, peach, etc.) and an ounce and a half of almonds, walnuts, etc..

thanks for the help. couple things as well:
- again, is it safe to start the day with a protein shake and then have another one post workout?
its OK. Id go up to 3 shakes a day on workout days (along with the other meals)- the PBJ snack in the middle sounds like a great idea
who said anything about PBJ. you want natural PB
- is there another source of whey protein i could use besides the powder for the bowl of oatmeal?
liquid egg whites in a microwave and mix it in the oats. add cinnamon and splenda to taste. tastes like an oatmeal cookie to me
- i usually have the shake 1 hour after workout (following manufacturer's directions). should i switch to immediately after im done lifting?
yes. what manufacturer says that? whey and carbs immediately!
- again, if i add a whey shake to breakfast, what else should i have with it. cant eat eggs
a whey shake with milk, ground up oats, and banana in a blender is enough. if you want more cals, add more stuff, maybe flax or more EFA's- whats a good source of lean protein that i could supplement in every meal (something i can actually eat)?
chicken.
- what is PWO?
PostWorkOut
again in red.

Last edited by M3bluewater; 08-17-2007 at 10:20 PM.
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:56 PM   #12
dwass325

Paul's got it taken care of

Quote:

Old 08-18-2007, 01:09 AM   #13
flush01

My Ride: 3 3 0
Quote:

afternoon:
mustard and oil

shrimp and rice bowl

spaghetti and meatballs

that's simply BS... you're not eating enough then... I have fast metabolism too... all you gatta do is eat like a champ 5-6 times aday, drink protein shake few times a day, hit the gym hard 4-5 times a week, drink lotsa water and you're all set... you know why you dont gain weight? because you're not dedicated enough, you probably eat few days good and then rest of the week bad and say "oh i got fast metabolism"... follow what I said and you'll be at 150-160 ripped by next august... i went from 155 skinny as f@ck to 185 with good results in 1 year, if only I could be more dedicated ... anyways good luck
flush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #14
Five_seveN

Quote:
yes. and yes.

a piece of fruit (an apple, peach, etc.) and an ounce and a half of almonds, walnuts, etc..

its OK. Id go up to 3 shakes a day on workout days (along with the other meals)
who said anything about PBJ. you want natural PB

liquid egg whites in a microwave and mix it in the oats. add cinnamon and splenda to taste. tastes like an oatmeal cookie to me

yes. what manufacturer says that? whey and carbs immediately!
a whey shake with milk, ground up oats, and banana in a blender is enough. if you want more cals, add more stuff, maybe flax or more EFA's-
chicken.

PostWorkOut

again in red.
thanks paul. made a grocery list and went shopping after work. got everything mentioned above and will start this tomorrow. one thing im unsure about is how to use liquid egg whites. how much of it goes into a bowl of oatmeal/protein shake?

sorry about the PBJ mishap, read it right and typed it wrong

i use the GNC mega whey protein powder. it says to use it 1 hour after workout, but ill start immediately PWO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01 View Post
that's simply BS... you're not eating enough then... I have fast metabolism too... all you gatta do is eat like a champ 5-6 times aday, drink protein shake few times a day, hit the gym hard 4-5 times a week, drink lotsa water and you're all set... you know why you dont gain weight? because you're not dedicated enough, you probably eat few days good and then rest of the week bad and say "oh i got fast metabolism"... follow what I said and you'll be at 150-160 ripped by next august... i went from 155 skinny as f@ck to 185 with good results in 1 year, if only I could be more dedicated ... anyways good luck
not all of it is bs. i have hypoglycemia and a lot of what i eat gets turned into quick energy and not stored weight. this new diet looks good though and im looking to stick to the plan. thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #15
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

My Ride: goes wshh
5'10'' 120 lbs?? Wow.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
Five_seveN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
5'10'' 120 lbs?? Wow.
thats what being born 10 1/2 weeks premature does to you. no complaints though, could be a lot worse
Old 08-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #17
iLLM3

My Ride: Boosted M3 + G35
Send a message via AIM to iLLM3
Im going to be flat out honest, what Dave and the rest said is amazing obviously, but get real boring very fast not to mention expensive. Its also what we became accustomed to and very hardcore to maintain to the average person or even gym guy. You are very thin, I would start making healthier choices but still eating a few things you like, modify your diet and incorporate some nice inbetween meal shakes, breakfast is a must, and I emphasize it heavily.

Most of us give our opinions and eating plans/way of life to others,meanwhile we don't stop to think everyone is different, it is so hard to have the discipline to be so strict with eating/training and just overall routine. Best adice is to start small like I said and think healthier, take I your meat fish and carbs, going cold turkey is a disaster if you plan on staying with it for some time!

Goodluck, we are all here to help

RUF R-GT2
07 E60 M5
01 996TT RWD/Stage 2+ turbo SOLD!!
03 G35 Nismo Daily
02 500+ HP SC M3 SOLD

www.e46psi.com
iLLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #18
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLM3 View Post
Im going to be flat out honest, what Dave and the rest said is amazing obviously, but get real boring very fast not to mention expensive. Its also what we became accustomed to and very hardcore to maintain to the average person or even gym guy. You are very thin, I would start making healthier choices but still eating a few things you like, modify your diet and incorporate some nice inbetween meal shakes, breakfast is a must, and I emphasize it heavily.

Most of us give our opinions and eating plans/way of life to others,meanwhile we don't stop to think everyone is different, it is so hard to have the discipline to be so strict with eating/training and just overall routine. Best adice is to start small like I said and think healthier, take I your meat fish and carbs, going cold turkey is a disaster if you plan on staying with it for some time!

Martin is right. All of my advice is based on my lifestyle and such - I don't eat for enjoyment... I eat because I have to. A lot of what we consider normalcy would be a huge sacrifice for most people.

Two biggest things - eat a BIG breakfast and stay away from fries.

Quote:

Old 08-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #19
iLLM3

My Ride: Boosted M3 + G35
Send a message via AIM to iLLM3
Quote:
Martin is right. All of my advice is based on my lifestyle and such - I don't eat for enjoyment... I eat because I have to. A lot of what we consider normalcy would be a huge sacrifice for most people.

Exactamundo On that note, we expect to see you at 150 and ripped in no time

RUF R-GT2
07 E60 M5
01 996TT RWD/Stage 2+ turbo SOLD!!
03 G35 Nismo Daily
02 500+ HP SC M3 SOLD

www.e46psi.com
iLLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #20
Five_seveN

Quote:

great points there. im going to start out by doing what was suggested and tweak it as time goes by. in about a month or so the diet/workout plan should be pretty solid to what i like/want to incorporate in. just by reading the responses its made me think twice about what im eating. the addition of fruit and nuts as a snack was a great suggestion. a lot of midday energy comes from such a small change. thanks for the support buddy

Quote:

thanks for the clarification. i appreciate all the input youve already given. ill keep this thread updated as time goes on. feel free to add in whatever you see fit as things start falling into place

Quote:
Exactamundo On that note, we expect to see you at 150 and ripped in no time
ill make it a goal to reach 145-150. itll definitely be a challenge since putting on weight has never been easy, but the workout plan is working well so far, so hopefully this new diet will accommodate. ill keep you guys updated and thanks again for the encouragement

PS- still not sure what to do with these liquid egg whites. how much should be used in a shake/bowl of oatmeal?