E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
How bad is alcohol?

I am tryin to get back into lifting and wanna get the best gains possible but was wondering how bad drinking once a week really is. I'm not trying to cut I'm trying to put on muscle now. I get pretty drunk on saturday nights and have a ton of fun but I'll cut it out for a while if need be.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
M3bluewater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 50
My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
its bad.

If you are going to be busting your ass in the gym and eating right for awhile, why throw all the gains you made in the trash? be disciplined for just awhile and see what happens...
__________________
Paul
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
John4
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7
My Ride: n/a
alcohol is part of your diet.

if you work out real hard, but dont eat right you won't get the max amount of gains. alcohol will really hinder your gains.

but once a week is fine (consider it a cheat meal)
John4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
iLLM3
Registered User
 
iLLM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,307
My Ride: Boosted M3 + G35
Send a message via AIM to iLLM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3bluewater View Post
its bad.

If you are going to be busting your ass in the gym and eating right for awhile, why throw all the gains you made in the trash? be disciplined for just awhile and see what happens...
Very true, and why I don't drink at all anymore, havent since New Year's Eve.. And ive grown to have just as much fun as being drunk, I don't need it!
__________________


RUF R-GT2
07 E60 M5
01 996TT RWD/Stage 2+ turbo SOLD!!
03 G35 Nismo Daily
02 500+ HP SC M3 SOLD

www.e46psi.com
iLLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by John4 View Post
alcohol is part of your diet.

if you work out real hard, but dont eat right you won't get the max amount of gains. alcohol will really hinder your gains.

but once a week is fine (consider it a cheat meal)
that's what i thought but sometimes I'm sore and still recovering and drinking makes me feel like I wasted my time in the gym. It's so much fun though lol.

does anyone have any scientific evidence about 1 day a week drinking that shows a lot of negative results?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
330man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 730
My Ride: Is sold
Send a message via AIM to 330man
I think getting drunk once a week is a generally unhealthy practice, regardless of your workout routine or athletic goals and ambitions.
__________________


At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.
330man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,024
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
drinking is good only for sexual pursuits/enjoyment... aside from that, it really doesn't help much of anything

that said, i have started to get back into a routine and, after going to the gym yesterday, went drinking... come 5am this morning, i had the worrrrst hangover i have had in a LONG time
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Bartacus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,225
My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
I'm no health expert (FAR from it), but can you simply generalize about booze? Doesn't it matter what kinda booze we're talking about here? Beer has TONS more calories than hard stuff. What exactly are you getting drunk from?

Bart
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
When you say "drinking once a week" are we talking about having a beer or two with dinner on Saturday night or going out with the intention of getting sh!tfaced?

If you need scientific evidence to show you that getting drunk weekly will hurt your athletic performance, this is a lost cause.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
M3bluewater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 50
My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock View Post
I'm no health expert (FAR from it), but can you simply generalize about booze? Doesn't it matter what kinda booze we're talking about here? Beer has TONS more calories than hard stuff. What exactly are you getting drunk from?

Bart
it doesnt matter. alcohol is alcohol (7 calories for every gram) and its a poison. the way the calories add up is the added carbs and mixers used, which are usually high sugar juices or sodas.
__________________
Paul
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
Bartacus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,225
My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3bluewater View Post
it doesnt matter. alcohol is alcohol (7 calories for every gram) and its a poison. the way the calories add up is the added carbs and mixers used, which are usually high sugar juices or sodas.
Thats kinda my point. If he's getting drunk on whiskey, no mix, its not as bad from a calorie viewpoint as having say 12 beer. Now if he's like me and prefers vodka drinks (ie Smirnoff Ice), thats even worse because of the extra sugar. I think WHAT he's drinking once a week is important to the OPs question, which was how bad can this drinking impact his workout gains.

Bart
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
M3bluewater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 50
My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock View Post
Thats kinda my point. If he's getting drunk on whiskey, no mix, its not as bad from a calorie viewpoint as having say 12 beer. Now if he's like me and prefers vodka drinks (ie Smirnoff Ice), thats even worse because of the extra sugar. I think WHAT he's drinking once a week is important to the OPs question, which was how bad can this drinking impact his workout gains.

Bart
no, its how many grams of alcohol he is consuming once a week. if he mixed his vodka with a soda that 120 cals of sugar extra or whey protein which is 120 cals of extra as well, he still mixed a shot of vodka in and it doesnt matter. its still will kill his gains....
__________________
Paul
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
Bartacus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,225
My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3bluewater View Post
no, its how many grams of alcohol he is consuming once a week. if he mixed his vodka with a soda that 120 cals of sugar extra or whey protein which is 120 cals of extra as well, he still mixed a shot of vodka in and it doesnt matter. its still will kill his gains....
Point taken! Its just that most people I know aren't consistent with alcohol intake. I know people who can drink much smaller amounts of hard stuff to get to their "happy place", but if they get there with beer, they consume much more for some reason.

Of course, its better to not drink at all, but where's the fun in that bullsh!t.

Bart
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
When you say "drinking once a week" are we talking about having a beer or two with dinner on Saturday night or going out with the intention of getting sh!tfaced?

If you need scientific evidence to show you that getting drunk weekly will hurt your athletic performance, this is a lost cause.
I'm talkin like atleast 8 drinks and getting pretty wasted. I know i get dehydrated and stuff. I know it's bad I'm just wondering how bad and if there are any sites or articles out there talking about it.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #15
bimmerchop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 11,044
My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Why do people seriously think that you just HAVE to get drunk to have a good time?

Like other have said, having the occasional drink every now and then is fine, but getting sh!tfaced on a weekly basis is just plain unhealthy regardless of goals.
__________________
- Rich - Flickr - Stage 3+ TiAL B5 S4

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #16
VAMZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 384
My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via Yahoo to VAMZ
what if your trying to bulk? and you constantly hydrate yourself through out the night? lol how bad is it weekly?

im not gonna lie...being in college....its more like 3 times a week lol
VAMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #17
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by SollyD View Post
I'm talkin like atleast 8 drinks and getting pretty wasted. I know i get dehydrated and stuff. I know it's bad I'm just wondering how bad and if there are any sites or articles out there talking about it.
How bad? Well, you're taking in a ton of nutritionally empty calories, and taking in alcohol which dehydrates the body, inhibits protein synthesis, and can raise estrogen. On top of that, I doubt, four drinks in, you're thinking, "I need to get a nutritious meal in" so you're likely taking in either no food calories or, if you are taking in food, it's something disgusting and unhealthy like Burger King.

Seriously... you should not need scientific articles to know that drinking is bad for you.

Now, I'm sure this won't effect your drinking long-term, but here's an article with cited sources.

Quote:
Alcohol consumption is the biggest drug problem in the United States today. Deeply intertwined into our society, its abuse inevitably carries over into our passion for competition in sport. However, most athletes use alcohol for reasons aside from competition. Alcohol stimulates a feeling of well being and euphoria, and can eliminate social inhibitions.

Compounding the problem, many athletes are under the impression that a few drinks before an event can be a strong ergogenic aid. It is touted as being a powerful tool to increase mental alertness, calm the nerves and dull the sensation of pain. With a few drinks, some athletes say they feel more alert, more confident and almost "fearless".

In sports requiring steady, smooth and controlled movements, its reputation for reducing muscle tremor and anxiety can be especially appealing. (3) Let's take a close look at alcohol and what its use and abuse really does to your athletic performance, your physique and your health.

Alcohol can be classified as either a food or a drug. As a food, it is quite caloric dense. At 7 calories per gram, alcohol provides almost twice the calories per gram of either carbohydrates or protein, but still fewer than a gram of fat. The calories from alcohol are considered "empty", because alcoholic beverages contain only negligible amounts of vitamins and minerals.

In addition to this, alcohol is often called the antinutrient nutrient, because it directly interferes with the body's absorption, storage and use of other nutrients. (2) As a drug, alcohol is classified as an addictive narcotic. It is classified as a depressant, but appears to have a two-part response: an initial sensation of excitement followed by depressive psychomotor effects. (3) Men are less sensitive to the drug than women, probably because men have a certain enzyme in the stomach that disposes of some alcohol before allowing it into the bloodstream. (2)

Effects On Athletic Performance

As an ergogenic aid, alcohol is proposed to:

* Calm the nerves
* Reduce inhibitions
* Increase mental alertness
* Reduce pain
* Reduce muscle tremor

Despite the many positive proposed benefits of alcohol as an ergogenic aid, studies have shown it to have the exact opposite effect to those above in most categories. (3)

Alcohol has been proven to:

* Decrease accuracy, balance, and reaction time
* Slow visual tracking and information processing
* Decrease strength, power and muscle endurance*
* Dehydrate the body

It appears that alcohol produces the "feeling" of improved psychomotor skills, when in fact they are impaired while under the influence of even a very small amount of the drug. (3) There is some evidence that alcohol may be able to reduce anxiety and muscle tremor,** but the associated decrease in coordination, balance and information processing would negate any real benefit to sport performance gained from the advantage in those areas. (1)

The depressive effect of alcohol does dull the sensation of pain, but pain indicates injury. The athlete on alcohol runs a greater risk of increasing the severity of an injury because without pain, they may be unaware of the extent of the damage. In addition, alcohol dehydrates the body by blocking the release of antidiuretic hormone, causing the kidneys to excrete excess body fluid in the form of urine. (3)

Effect On Your Physique & Your Health

Since alcohol contains calories, anyone interested in weight management must count these 7 calories per gram in their total intake. These calories can quickly add up. In addition to this, alcohol interferes with the absorption and utilization of many vitamins and minerals, which can ultimately slow the processing of protein and carbohydrates. Also significant is the liver damage associated with regular alcohol use.

Alcohol interferes with the metabolism of protein and fat in the liver, and alcohol causes impaired production of pancreatic enzymes needed for fat metabolism. An inability to mobilize body fat and high blood lipid (fat) levels may result. Liver glycogen may become depleted along with an inability of the liver to form new glucose. (2) The end result is the body of the alcohol user will have a strong tendency to store body fat and a very hard time gaining or maintaining lean body mass. An alcohol user's energy, strength and endurance levels will drop hindering the desire to exercise, further complicating the problem.

Can Alcohol Be Good For The Heart?

Current evidence suggests that moderate alcohol consumption is associated with a lower risk of heart disease in some people. It was found that one drink per day (and no more) can increase the level of high-density lipoproteins (HDL's) in the blood. (1) HDL's are known as the "good cholesterol" and are responsible for keeping your arteries clear.

It is not advisable that one consume alcohol for the reason of reduced risk of heart disease because of all the negative effects associated with alcohol consumption. So far, this is the only possible benefit of alcohol on your health, while there are innumerable known risks.

One drink is defined as:

* 12 ounces of regular beer
* 5 ounces of wine
* 1.5 ounces of 80-proof liquor
* 1.0 ounce of 100-proof liquor

I hope you enjoyed and learned a lot from reading this article. I thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from researching and writing it! There are so many more risk factors associated with alcohol consumption that I made no mention of here in an effort to keep most of my focus in the realm of sports and fitness. Feel free to email me at parsons@issaonline.com with comments or for suggested further reading on the subject. Good luck with your training!

* Some studies have demonstrated this effect, while others have not.
** Some studies have shown that drinking causes muscle tremors, so no definitive conclusion can be drawn to this effect.

References

1. Kleiner, S.M. In High Spirits?: Alcohol and Your Health. The Physician and Sportsmedicine. 24:9. 1996.
2. Leiber, C.S. The nutritional effects of alcohol. In: Total Nutrition: the Only Guide You'll Ever Need. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1995. pp 348-358.
3. Wilmore, J.H. Costill, D.L. Physiology of sport and exercise. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. 1994.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:10 PM   #18
E55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: far away
Posts: 271
My Ride: 04' S2000
Send a message via AIM to E55
Not to hi-jack but, what if you're a person who only needs 2-3 drinks and has a good buzz? Because that's what I am...
__________________
E55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #19
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Why do people seriously think that you just HAVE to get drunk to have a good time?

Like other have said, having the occasional drink every now and then is fine, but getting sh!tfaced on a weekly basis is just plain unhealthy regardless of goals.
It's just something we do. Nothing else to do between 11-4am on a saturday night lol. I will try not to drink for a few months but I it wont be fun lol.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #20
Born Again
Registered User
 
Born Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 4,660
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SollyD View Post
It's just something we do. Nothing else to do between 11-4am on a saturday night lol. I will try not to drink for a few months but I it wont be fun lol.
just moderate yourself - why not head into the city? it's too expensive to get drunk in nyc!
__________________

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use