E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
Projectors vs HID conversion kit?

Time to Upgrade to Xenons

Projectors look way nicer but an HID conversion kit would be like 5 times cheaper for the same effect and I wouldn't have to get an ecu reflash.

What would you get? Im thinking an HID conversion kit because It would be stupid for me to spend so much money on lights. I'm a student on a budget.
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
non projector HIDs will do the job but wont give you that exact look of xenons
and you have to make sure you get the right bulbs otherwise the HID will glare too much from your housing and blind drivers. D2Rs are for the housings with a cap over the bulb, but I dunno if it works in ones without the cap

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
MeRon

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post

Projectors look way nicer but an HID conversion kit would be like 5 times cheaper for the same effect and I wouldn't have to get an ecu reflash.
WRONG, it would NOT be the same effect. Putting HID's into anyhousing or non-hid projectors (some exceptions) will yield shitty beam pattern and light spread. Most of the time WORSE than stock halogens.

Getting a set of halogen projectors and throwing an HID kit in there would not be as bad as putting a hid kit into a halogen reflector bowl housing, but needless to say OEM is the best route.
MeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
MeRon has it right for the most part. An HID setup in a reflector based housing can be better than stock halogens if aimed correctly but will never come close to the cut off and light output of a projector setup.

I highly recommend you do it right the first time and get a set of Projectors for the HIDs. If you can't afford the entire package at first, go with the projectors and halogen option then purchase our HID kit for the same discount.

Projector46 Headlights
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 AM   #5
numba1guju

My Ride: 2013 328i
Send a message via AIM to numba1guju
projector 46 with 6000k HID and 6000K DDE...do it right the first time...or save money and do it all together..nick at jlevi is awesome

2002 325i: Black/Black
Mods: Clears, VM V715 Matte Black 19in staggered, 20% tint all around, Suspension Technique Coilovers, p46s 6000k w/ aurora 60LED
numba1guju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:36 AM   #6
T-MC-G

My Ride: Range Rover Evoque
HOLY CRAP, those Projector46's have come down in price! I paid over $1400 for a set back in the day... damn!

Tell me what you don't like about yourself...
T-MC-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Sneaky

Hmm so i guess projectors it is. JLevi, How much would the halogen projectors cost all together?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

You can price it out right on our website but facelift sedan Projectors with HIDs and angel eyes run $708 for a pair + shipping. Our website also automatically calculates international shipping so just add them to your cart and click check out
Old 08-25-2007, 03:25 AM   #9
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1guju View Post
projector 46 with 6000k HID and 6000K DDE...do it right the first time...or save money and do it all together..nick at jlevi is awesome
So these are real Xenon conversion kit? why is it so much cheaper than OEM? does anyone have these... hows the quality?

im really interested in upgrading my stock projectors but i want real quality xenons.

also im driving a 2002 325ci... in a few months im purchasing a 2004+ 330ci face lifted. will the head lamps have the same fit?

Last edited by zuckuss00; 08-25-2007 at 03:30 AM.
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:57 AM   #10
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
So these are real Xenon conversion kit? why is it so much cheaper than OEM? does anyone have these... hows the quality?

im really interested in upgrading my stock projectors but i want real quality xenons.

also im driving a 2002 325ci... in a few months im purchasing a 2004+ 330ci face lifted. will the head lamps have the same fit?
because OEM is the BEST quality you can get. and why the hell would you want to change your OEM projectors? what you have is far superior to the p46's. if you want angels, you can just put them in without buying a whole new headlight.

02 headlights are completely different from 04+. 04+ coupes, the headlights and corners are one piece.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:59 AM   #11
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post

What would you get? Im thinking an HID conversion kit because It would be stupid for me to spend so much money on lights. I'm a student on a budget.
you won't get the same effect. and you would still need to get an ecu reflash regardless.

a lot of us are students on a budget.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #12
BMW Loe

My Ride: is dirty
I have an idea for halogen guys to use HID's, but you wouldn't like the look of aluminum foil stuck in front of your headlight reflector (it does effectively create a usable cutoff though)
03 330Ci sold
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
sillieidiot

lol

Old 08-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
LW///M3

My Ride: 05 Sti >> E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
because OEM is the BEST quality you can get. and why the hell would you want to change your OEM projectors? what you have is far superior to the p46's. if you want angels, you can just put them in without buying a whole new headlight.

02 headlights are completely different from 04+. 04+ coupes, the headlights and corners are one piece.
Havent seen the p46 in person but the OEM is not far superior.

OEM e46 is actually a joke in terms of output.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
sillieidiot

lol OEM e46 compared to the other OEM cars is a joke. damn cutoff is fuzzy, if even visible. but compared to the p46, it's a lot better. i've used the p46 in my old sedan before switching to OEM. night and day. then i went ahead to got the OEM bosch (ece version). now that's that our OEM should have been.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #16
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post

These are OEM quality aftermarket projector headlight replacements. In terms of light output and dispersion, there is no difference between OEM and these. OEM will be a bit higher quality in terms of materials but for the price you just cannot beat it, not to mention these come with a full lifetime warranty, are brand new and have preinstalled angel eyes.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #17
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
These are OEM quality aftermarket projector headlight replacements. In terms of light output and dispersion, there is no difference between OEM and these. OEM will be a bit higher quality in terms of materials but for the price you just cannot beat it, not to mention these come with a full lifetime warranty, are brand new and have preinstalled angel eyes.
So that above link you just sent me comes with Pre installed Angel eyes right?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #18
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post

Actually im not entirely sure what kind of head lamps i have. there just the crap stock yellow head lamps, i dont think there projector and i know there not xenon. sry for the confusion.

Also what does the 20,000 hour lifetime mean? is that how long the angel eyes last or bulbs...?

my apologies im not to fluent with this topic...
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #19
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Yep, those are the headlights with the preinstalled angel eyes. 20,000 hour life span refers to the life span of the angel eye rings. To put it in perspective, if you ran the rings for 2-3 hours, 365 days a year, they would last for over 18 years.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #20
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Yep, those are the headlights with the preinstalled angel eyes. 20,000 hour life span refers to the life span of the angel eye rings. To put it in perspective, if you ran the rings for 2-3 hours, 365 days a year, they would last for over 18 years.
I just read this:

"Please note that for the Facelift (2002+) Sedans, you will need to reuse your OEM Beauty trim and outer cover. "

Sorry but what exactly does this mean lol? I would have to take out the reflectors? like could you give me a step by step instruction on this one? I am seriously considering buying your product