E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
MatthewLFD

My Ride: 550i 6spd + Corvette
Sirius Radio mount in ashtray

Just finished mounting my Sirius Radio receiver in the ash tray. I don't like having things stuck to the winshield (except for the radar detector by the rear view) or stocking out anywhere else, so I had to find somewhere else to hide it. Since I don't smoke, the ash tray seemed like a good fit. What do you guys' think?

And when it's not in use, I can just close the lid

MatthewLFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
pinoycowboy

My Ride: VW GLI & Passat TDI
Send a message via ICQ to pinoycowboy Send a message via AIM to pinoycowboy
nice install... it's really good that you can close the ashtray cover

e46 SOLD :(
pinoycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
TravsM3

My Ride: 05' 545i, ZSP
My Starmate 4 is just too big to close the lid. I wish it did.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
MatthewLFD

Yea that was a requirement for me, if it wouldn't close I was ready to dremel out the back of the ash-tray mount to get the extra clearance. Fortunately it fit perfectly, just needed a bit of foam on the back to prop it up.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Superman07

My Ride: 2003 M3
I stumbled across this unit in while browsing their store oneday. It may be useful for somebody looking to do a similar install due to its small size. I contemplated it myself, but I think I'll probably endup going with the OEM option once I feel like getting around to it (head-unit issues ftl).

http://tweeter.com/product/SCFM1.asp

Btw, I do not believe I have seen this come up on Sirius' website in the past.
Superman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
MatthewLFD

Yea I saw that one as well, my only problem was that it has the blue backlight. The one that I have has the amber background similar to the factory backlighting. Most people probably wouldn't care, but I'm picky about things like that.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
IL8APEX

My Ride: E46 ZHP, Triumph 675
Hey, that looks great! I haven't seen that unit in stores either, and like the small size... Do you know what it's called?

-Tom
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
MatthewLFD

Tom-

It is called the Sirius InV SV2-TK1. I've seen them go for like $30-35 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-SV2-TK1...8094925&sr=8-1

They have another model that is the same size, just a different style and a bit cheaper ($25):

http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Stratus...8094995&sr=8-2

I chose the first one because it was black and matched the interior.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
richkopena

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I assune that the car kit mounting bracket with all the connection points somehow fits in the bottom portion of the ashtray. Is there room there or did you need to cut some material.

Also:
richkopena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
richkopena

Sorry, I somehow submitted in the middle of quick reply. Where did you place antenna (rear deck?) and where did you pick up switched power ?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #11
MatthewLFD

For the unit I have all the connections were on the left side. The mounting bracket was too big, so I used some foam stripping and stuck that on the back of the Sirius unit to prop it up. I ran the wires through the pre-existing hole in the ash tray for the light so I didn't need to cut anything.

I picked up switched power from the purple wire in the center console (assuming it's for the cell phone pre-wire).

The antenna is placed underneath the rear deck, so it can't be seen from anywhere. The only place I don't get reception is in my garage and in parking garages.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
richkopena

Thanks for the info. BTW, I have the other small unit you mentioned (stratus SV3) installed in a Honda van and the car kit required for making the connection to it (it is a docking unit) will probably not allow installation the way you have done it.

You say the antenna is mounted underneth the rear deck ? Could you explain what that really means. What is covering the antenna ?

Again, thanks for the info.

Rich K.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
MatthewLFD

Rich-

Yea I think I saw that unit at Best Buy when I was looking and remember thinking that it wouldn't work unless I cut out the bottom part of the ash tray hole. I wasn't totally opposed to doing that, but I'd rather keep everything together if I can.

The antenna is in the trunk on top of all the sheet metal, but underneath the rear shelf (by the rear windshield).

Here is a pic from EAS:

Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
I just did MatthewLFD's installation in my ride.

Thanks for the help, Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
mikeqube

My Ride: '02 325ci
Send a message via AIM to mikeqube
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLFD View Post
Rich-

Yea I think I saw that unit at Best Buy when I was looking and remember thinking that it wouldn't work unless I cut out the bottom part of the ash tray hole. I wasn't totally opposed to doing that, but I'd rather keep everything together if I can.

The antenna is in the trunk on top of all the sheet metal, but underneath the rear shelf (by the rear windshield).

Here is a pic from EAS:
I'm a bit confused, the antenna in the trunk, not outside? I thought the antenna needed to be on the outside of the car. I've been holding off on installing my sirius in the car because I didnt want the antenna to mark up the paint.
mikeqube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #16
MatthewLFD

Nope, the antenna just needs to have a relatively clear view to the sky. As long as I'm not in a parking garage I have perfect signal with the antenna back there.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
SaN NizZLe

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I know I'm a little late on this but it looks great, I plan on doing the same thing!
SaN NizZLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #18
MatthewLFD

Well I've gotten a few PMs about more detailed instructions, so here it is;

Pull off the shift knob, just pull straight up and it will pop off and you see this:

Then carefully pry the edges of the shift boot off so you see this:

Now you will want to pull off the plastic/wood surrounding piece by removing the two screws at the bottom. Also make sure to disconnect both sides of window switches:

And tug on the foam surround to remove it:

Then remove the cupholder/coin tray:

Then remove the ashtray and run the two wires to the sirius unit through the bottom hole (antenna wire and power wire) and route them by the shift lever:

Now because the antenna wire was going to the back of the car, I ran that following the carpet wire into the trunk (also have to remove the rear seat). It's kinda hard to tell, but I ran the power/ground (black/white) wires over the shift housing but under the cup holder tray.

Now it's time to hook up power, so you will need a 12v adaptor that looks like this:

It will have a red (power) and a black (ground) wire coming off of it. We are going to be drawing power from the phone pre-wire. Ground will be a brown wire in a two wire harness like this:

I connected them using a wire tap so I didn't cut up the factory harness:

Power should be a few purple wires with a black tape cover wrapping them up:

Once those wires are hooked up, plug in the Sirius 12v plug into your plug and try to place it behind the E-brake so it will be out of the way of the cupholder:

Now once you have the antenna wire in the trunk area, put the supplied double side tape on the bottom of the antenna and work it up one of the structural holes in the trunk.

I originally routed my wire through the baffles wrapped in fabric tape, but I removed it all and routed it the cheesy way so you can see what I mean:

Now turn on the ignition and make sure everything works while you connect to Sirius and get your confirmation. Then once your sure everything works you can put it all back together.

For the sound input, my '01 didn't have an AUX input either, but since I have the DICE iPod adaptor I could just use that. The only problem with that way is that you have to cut out some of the ash tray housing to fit the AUX wire...I don't like cutting so I just use the FM Transmitter. I tried using both the AUX wire through DICE and the FM transmitter and with strong FM signal I can' hear a difference. You just have to find a strong FM channel (you can change the channel it transmitts on) that doesn't interfere with any other radio stations on your daily drive. Those are the only 2 ways to hook up sound.

The unit does not come with a remote and unfortunately the preset buttons are a bit hard to press. I only really listen to about 2 channels regularly so it's not a huge issue for me to change. The channel skip buttons are easy to press, it's just the preset ones that are hard.

Hope that helps you, let me know if you run into any snags.

Matt
Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #19
xXMaGNUSXx

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Vert
Send a message via AIM to xXMaGNUSXx
Hey awesome guide. Thanks! This was my second EVER, I.C.E. related install.

I installed my Sirius InV SV2-TK1 this weekend using this guide. I have an E46 Vert and I didn't want to install the antenna on my trunk lid and take my rear seats and interior panel trim off, so I put the antenna on my dash instead (with some double sided tape) and ran the wire on the right side of the dash and around/behind the glove box. I get 2-3 bars here in SoCal.

I used wire taps to tap into the power (purple) and ground wires (brown) in the center console. I also have the Dice Silverline and used the aux input for the Sat. receiver. I used an aux cable with a 90 degree connector on one end and everything fit perfect.

The only things pending is activating the unit (Sirius was doing maintenance this weekend) and putting some foam backing on the Sat. receiver to prop it up.

A few things I noticed:

1. The Sirius InV SV2-TK1 unit has vents on the outter edge of the unit. If it's in the ashtray, the vents are somewhat blocked and the air has nowhere to go.
2. Prior to install, I disconnected my (-) battery terminal and reconnected it after the install and now I can no longer see the text on my Nav from my iPod via Dice module.
3. I have the SMG transmission and the shift knob popped right up, just like the manual shift knob shown in this install.
4. Tools that were handy: fish tape, body trim remover tool (to pry certain pieces open to run the wires), hooks and picks, and the BMW flash light.

Last edited by xXMaGNUSXx; 04-14-2008 at 08:31 AM.
xXMaGNUSXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #20
synn21588

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Hi. I want to do this with my unit (the stratus) but i have a deck that i plug everything int and then the unit slides in on top of it so it wont fit in the ash tray. any ideas?

here is what im talking about, minus the window mount

Last edited by synn21588; 01-25-2009 at 04:01 PM.
synn21588 is offline   Reply With Quote