E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
Hum/Buzz noise after ignition shut off. any ideas?

The story goes pretty much how the title says it. After i cut the ignition there is a humming/buzzing that comes from the engine bay and lasts for about 1 second. It definitely sounds like some sort of pressure being released with the way that it fades out. I also get the same humming noise if i jab the throttle before the engine responds to the increase of gas. It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance of the car but it does piss me off. any ideas on what this could be? thanks for the help.
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Not the fan I take it? Sometimes on hot days my fan runs for a few after I shut the car off. Just a thought.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

no i don't belive that it's the fan. i really wish i knew how to just record that sound and then somehow post it. it's just this hum/buzz that sounds like the car's way of sighing after i turn it off...haha i'm not that hard on it.

a friend of mine mentioned something about a positive crank case ventilation valve. i don't exactly understand what that is or even if it applies to BMW's but that's my only lead so far.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Do you have DDE's installed?

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Do you have DDE's installed?
That was my next thought.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

No DDE's but i do have some aftermarket H7 bulbs. not sure if that would be a problem.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
logikgr

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to logikgr
Are you sure it's not the HVAC opening up?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
adamlutz

My Ride: 1999 323i
I have a noise after i turn off the car too - what is the HVAC and what does that sound like?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
vstol

My Ride: 2000 323i E46
Defective pressure regulating valve under the intake manifold. You can do two fairly simple things to confirm. With the engine idling, undo and slightly lift the oil service/fill cap on the cam cover. You may feel a lot of resistance - suction. At the same time, if the valve is defective, it will buzz. Clear cause and effect. Also, while at idle, place you hand on the vacuum line that attaches at the front of the cam cover near the VANOS. With you hand on the vacuum line, have someone turn off the ignition. When you hear the buzz at shut-off you will also feel it in the line. There are other ways to check the valve performance, but this is quick and costs nothing. Good luck.
vstol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Dkny956

My Ride: 2000 323i
2003 323i

My car does the same thing! It is the Idle Regulating Valve, I know this for sure but i dont know why it makes that weird sound when i shut of the car. Its the little diaphragm that makes the sound.
Dkny956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 AM   #11
Toadfart

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
my car buzzes and it keeps my angel eyes on. Which is tapped into the ecu harness under the drivers side fender area as well as the footwell. The car buzzes and the light stays on even after i shut off the car and the footwell light is off.
Toadfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
I've heard this noise before. I heard it again last night and got curious. I had just turned off the car after a 400mi road trip, with the last 160mi being non-stop. I could hear the hum from inside the car. I took the key out of the ignition and opened the hood. It was dark, but I could tell the noise was coming from near the intake-side of the engine. Sounds like an electric motor.

It made a humming noise for about 1 minute. As soon as it stopped, I heard about a 2-3 second *ppsssshhhh* pressure relief noise. There was also a brief groaning/creaking noise, just like when you set the e-brake and get out of the car and the suspension settles. I had already been out of the car for about 20 seconds, though.

Any thoughts on the groaning/creaking noise in conjunction with the humming noise? Maybe it was just a coincidence the suspension settled exactly at the same time...?
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
ikeupinya
Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceyOne View Post
The story goes pretty much how the title says it. After i cut the ignition there is a humming/buzzing that comes from the engine bay and lasts for about 1 second. It definitely sounds like some sort of pressure being released with the way that it fades out. I also get the same humming noise if i jab the throttle before the engine responds to the increase of gas. It doesn't seem to be effecting the performance of the car but it does piss me off. any ideas on what this could be? thanks for the help.
Most bimmers do that, its certain components that need an extra couple seconds to shut down...if you have CAI mod, you'll hear it just a little bit more after shutting down your car...as far thathumming noise if you jab the throttle, don't know about that...
Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
Malladawg
Beware of pwner

My Ride: 2000 323I OrientBlau
Send a message via AIM to Malladawg Send a message via MSN to Malladawg Send a message via Yahoo to Malladawg
That's a normal noise for my car, but I have dde's installed. I think it's a normal thing when shutting down.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
bimminge46

My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
That is normal after shutdown. Mine also does the same.

E30 in progress.

bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Idk my car does this also, it makes a humming sound that sounds like it's coming from the center of the dash behind the radio. Also idk if this is normal but when I turn the key to the on position before startup my car makes a loud high pitched humming/ whining kind of sound, it sounds Sort of like a lamborghini before startup when the key is in the same position before you turn the key and is rather annoying. Any idea what that is?

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
drfreeman

My Ride: 330i ZHP Titanium Si
check CCVV, if it failed it will generated honking, goose noise after engine shut down. It is diffrent from the normal hissssss....sound after you shut down engine. CCVV stated crank case ventilation valve.
drfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote