E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
Upgrading to Projector46's, HID kit price differences?

so i bought some myCarr 81 LED angel eyes not too long ago from Jlevis and love them, but the OEM halogen bulbs look like crap with them....way too yellow.

i want to get projectors (OEM seems a little pricey) so i've looked around a bit and it seems that there are a lot of sites selling kits with various options.

i'm thinking of going with a 6000k/35w kit, but i see Jlevis selling theirs without angel eyes for 420 (i really like Jlevis), but other places have kits for 275 or less!

what's the deal? is there something to be said about the quality of the HID kits that come with the respective Projectors?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
ATF

My Ride: plows snow.
As far as I know it's just the quality of customer service you're going to get with the product. They all come from the same place, unless there's different revisions I don't know about and someone has old inventory they're still shipping. Someone else should probably chime in..

Nick | BMWCCA 403399 | flickr
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
I too am interested in one of these kits and have been researching. So far the P46 lighting is the best option for HID. They all seem to have the same DEPO branded lighting housing with the projector kit. Only difference is the options you can get with them. Some offer different type of angel eye/LED options and that seems to be the difference in them. If you want just the projectors they all seem to be the same, it only depends if you want the angel eye/ LED's pre installed or not and what kind where you would buy them from. So far I'm looking at getting them form Khoalty (hope I spelled that right) seem to have good pricing and just what I need. only thing is the plug n play option dosen't seem to clear whether or not soldering or any mod's are required for install. Other sites have the same kit but state that its a direct plug n play install.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Skiracer41

My Ride: wastes my money
bump!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
ATF

My Ride: plows snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albarran9 View Post
I too am interested in one of these kits and have been researching. So far the P46 lighting is the best option for HID. They all seem to have the same DEPO branded lighting housing with the projector kit. Only difference is the options you can get with them. Some offer different type of angel eye/LED options and that seems to be the difference in them. If you want just the projectors they all seem to be the same, it only depends if you want the angel eye/ LED's pre installed or not and what kind where you would buy them from. So far I'm looking at getting them form Khoalty (hope I spelled that right) seem to have good pricing and just what I need. only thing is the plug n play option dosen't seem to clear whether or not soldering or any mod's are required for install. Other sites have the same kit but state that its a direct plug n play install.
Well none of the kits require soldering. It's up to the installer whether or not they want to solder the angel eyes(this includes LED's) and its respective harness to the factory harness, or just use wire taps to get power.

Of course you have different options, ~30 LED, ~60 LED, ~80 LED Angel Eyes and several CCFL variants. Each vendor has their own flavor/design of Angel Eye, that's where you'll notice a difference in product. I opted for pre-installed, because I'm just too damn lazy to tinker with putting angel eyes in.

The extent of my plug and play installation.

Connecting the headlights and harnesses first to test that everything works.
Removing old headlights.
Installing new p46 headlights.
Disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery.
Wiring the harness to the positive and ground posts under the hood.
Extending the trigger wire for the angel eyes, with some hook up wire and butt connector from Radioshack.
Using a T-Tap (I didn't solder, clearly) from Radioshack, I tapped the parking light wire from the LCM in the knee bolster inside the cabin.
Reconnect negative terminal to the battery.
Align headlights.
Profit.

Nick | BMWCCA 403399 | flickr
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Orion329

thanks for all the responses guys.

i've got my angel eyes installed already, so unless i get a hold of someone over at Khoalty or the like, i'm going to have to pay for an unnecessary extra set of angel eyes.

Nick over at Jlevis gave me the low-down on their package, and i've been leaning that way a bit. from what i've heard, it is possible to remove the housing on my myCarr 81 LED angel eyes and put them in the P46's.

when i see the pricing on üm•nitza, i wonder if i paying for a ballast, or a name at Jlevis....

Jason from Euro-division.com has been very informative about their ballast kits, the EDX v1, and it seems that that HID choice is a really good solution, but i'm still interested in hearing people's input on if the ballast/hid bulbs differ in quality between sets of projectors. the EDX's come with a 18 month warranty, while others seem to usually be 1 year.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
umnitza
877•486•6489

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion329 View Post
so i bought some myCarr 81 LED angel eyes not too long ago from Jlevis and love them, but the OEM halogen bulbs look like crap with them....way too yellow.

i want to get projectors (OEM seems a little pricey) so i've looked around a bit and it seems that there are a lot of sites selling kits with various options.

i'm thinking of going with a 6000k/35w kit, but i see Jlevis selling theirs without angel eyes for 420 (i really like Jlevis), but other places have kits for 275 or less!

what's the deal? is there something to be said about the quality of the HID kits that come with the respective Projectors?
You can get a Projector kit but installing the LED into it can be a chore for some - while easy for many others.

We'll be releasing a new Projector46 kit for facelifted sedans with our exclusive Orion V2 package for $300ish in a day or so, while you don't have a facelifted, you may want to call in to discuss your options there.

We're always available on email if you need assistance - info@umnitza.com as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albarran9 View Post
Some information from the past (our prices for customers of this forum are far lower than those on the web site).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=657243

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=703176

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=680681

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=680339

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=698092

There are many factors when choosing the correct lighting system for your car. Quality of construction, components, and error canceling and of course customer service over the long term.

We've had the same team assembling the lights for over 4 years, no one else has anyone that has assembled these lights for more than 6 months, now with a new member of the assembly team.

If you are interested in headlights with xenons and angel eyes (Orion V2) we have them available to make your car look like this:

You can find these headlights here:
http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?products_id=208

Quote:
Your user name just begs for the right product
Old 09-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
KHOALTY, Inc.
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to KHOALTY, Inc.
Quote:

i've got my angel eyes installed already, so unless i get a hold of someone over at Khoalty or the like, i'm going to have to pay for an unnecessary extra set of angel eyes.

Nick over at Jlevis gave me the low-down on their package, and i've been leaning that way a bit. from what i've heard, it is possible to remove the housing on my myCarr 81 LED angel eyes and put them in the P46's.

when i see the pricing on üm•nitza, i wonder if i paying for a ballast, or a name at Jlevis....

Jason from Euro-division.com has been very informative about their ballast kits, the EDX v1, and it seems that that HID choice is a really good solution, but i'm still interested in hearing people's input on if the ballast/hid bulbs differ in quality between sets of projectors. the EDX's come with a 18 month warranty, while others seem to usually be 1 year.
All you have to do is buy a headlight by itself only, from there you can take apart your angel eyes you have so you don't have to buy an extra set for no reason and install those onto the projectors you have. With the HID kits we sell have a lifetime warranty, so that would be more assuring than something that is a timeframe on it. We sell headlights by itself without the angel eyes so that isn't a problem at all.

-khoa
KHOALTY, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Orion329

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Your user name just begs for the right product
hahaha, too true. sadly i'd rather save a buck or two and not get a second pair since the myCarr's are so new. thanks for all the info.

Khoalty indicated they'd be willing to sell just the housing and HID's, would that also be an option with üm•nitza? lifetime warranties always sound tempting...

i hate pitting you guys against each other, all the sponsors here are amazing.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
KHOALTY, Inc.
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to KHOALTY, Inc.
Go with who you feel is best fit for the work. Choices are always great to have. Our pricing doesn't change from the phone to the website as it stays, we do discount here and there if things are bought with other things but we don't make a quick buck off the ones that don't know better as pricing shouldn't be different if you are a forum member or a regular member, everyone should get the same discount, just bc one person doesn't know where to go doesn't mean people have to take him for a ride.
KHOALTY, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
umnitza
877•486•6489

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Fundamentally, a one price for all is very egalitarian, but it doesn't work in the real world. Some customers want to pay more for a product with more options and more assistance, some customers don't want to pay for those. In setting up a tiered system, you get to address both customer's needs for price/functionality.

Forum members should get benefits not available to the average person if those pricing benefits are offset by the minimized level of support you need to provide because forum members can find all their answers on the forum. Some vendors choose to lower their prices to even lower than minimal support levels in the hopes that they don't have to provide any level of support which ultimately costs time and money for the customer that isn't seen on the product price.

Some vendors simply "give up" and blame the manufacturer for all the product problems, some try to help. We fall into the last category, even if the manufaturer is at fault - depo for example - we try to help that customer out - like the case with the Projector39s that have bad lenses, we're doing an outreach to our customers and even the customers of our competitors and offering them at cost replacement lenses even though DEPO has thrown their hands up and given up.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
neil1138

Matt it's amazing, you can post here and on bf.c but not respond to messages... hmm what to do.

EDIT: Really Matt?

Last edited by neil1138; 09-23-2009 at 07:54 PM.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
Matt it's amazing, you can post here and on bf.c but not respond to messages... hmm what to do.

EDIT: Really Matt?
Personally I have bought a few things from Matt no issues great service and Price. I would not hesitate to by from him again.

I bought some Depo HID's for my e46 from him

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Personally I have bought a few things from Matt no issues great service and Price. I would not hesitate to by from him again.

I bought some Depo HID's for my e46 from him
Oh no question he has good service, ect. I havent bought from him so I wouldnt know.

Last edited by neil1138; 09-23-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
Orion329

looks like this thread got derailed fast...

reps from Khoalty and üm•nitza, thanks for the great responses, i'll take a further look into my options and be ordering soon.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #16
neil1138

as do all the threads in the lighting forum my friend
Old 09-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #17
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
PM Nick He will hook you up and if you Dont like the prices he will probly help you find cheaper ones! Ask him for a discount maybe ull get lucky!
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #18
neil1138

+1 on Nick. I have bought a lot of things from him in the past and he's always been awesome to do business with.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #19
Orion329

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
as do all the threads in the lighting forum my friend
at least i've gotten about all the info i need from it beforehand. do what you will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
PM Nick He will hook you up and if you Dont like the prices he will probly help you find cheaper ones! Ask him for a discount maybe ull get lucky!
i chatted with Nick the other day, and he was super-helpful in getting me sorted out regarding lighting solutions. it's hard to pick favorites when all the sponsors here have been so communicative.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #20
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
I'd hardly call the P46's an upgrade, your current halogen setup, although looks dated and old technology, especially for a BMW (yes, you do have the base model), is BETTER than the P46.

Do yourself a favour and go OEM.
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote