E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Zeppelin420Fan

My Ride: '98 M3 & '06 ZCP M3
Only Key Locked in Trunk, Tulley BMW to the Rescue!

So whatever... goin about my nightly ride when I notice my left blinker tweakin out. Finish up the ride and pull into the girlfriends house, get out and check the blinkers. Left rear.

I pop the trunk, check out the bulb to see if it was a loose connection. Nope, blown bulb. Start heading into the gfs house, stop and say, "hey I forgot to get the bulb # so i can order a pair offline tonight." The gf responds "Do you have to do it tonight?" ......... Shoulda listened.

So I pop the housing off again and pull out the bulb to check the number.. Cant see the number so I put my keys down to get my cell phone out to use the light on it to read the #. Put everything back together.. Took 2 minutes, and head into the gfs house.

I doze off at her house.. And I gotta be up for work at 4am.. Wake up from the doze and its 11:30pm.. A little grumpy I get up to leave and look for my keys.. oh wtf! Still didnt dawn on me they were locked in the trunk till my gf remembers she saw my cell phone in the trunk when I closed it. Now im BS.. It's the only key I got when I bought the car...

so I'm out there till about 1am with the end of a goddam fishing pole trying to hit the door lock button to no avail. The rod snaps and now I have half a fishing pole shoved in my window. I was THIS close to breaking the window and decided to come on here and do a search to see if I had any options... Basically after reading some posts i come to the conclusion im F'd for the night.

luckily ended up taking the gfs car to work, and shot RIGHT over to Tulley BMW (Nashua NH) with the copy of my title. Met up with a tech. named Bryan who told me my options.. He was super confident he could get into my car and get my keys... If I brought the car there....

So I try and get a vallet key made and they wouldnt accept the copy of the title, the bank has the original. So he agrees to come TO my car and get my keys. F*ckin sweet!

We get there and lemme tell you, this guy knew his sh!t. Guy was pro. got my keys in like 6 minutes. He used a blow-up wedge, seperated the window enough to get this stiff metal pole with a hook in and hit the unlock button. But he tells me that aint all!

So he then had to pull the door handle twice, and viola! in the car!!! Still not it! He then had to take the lock cylinder out, and with a screwdriver lock and unlock a bunch of times thru the door. BOOM! Access to trunk GRANTED! Got my keys, absolutely NOTHING damaged... 6 - 10 minutes work, and I slapped him a nice crisp $100. Small price to pay..

2 thumbs up to Bryan at Tulley BMW. He knows his BMW's inside n out.

sorry for the long post!
Zeppelin420Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
HMMMMM ..... The process he used was the same processes you use to program a key....lock unlock on off on off on off etc etc...all he needed to do was press your trunk release button to get into the trunk...it sounds to me like he programmed a key that could have been in his pocket....and will use someday to jack your ride.....just a heads up...if your ride is missing call Bryan.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Zeppelin420Fan

Nah dude, you cant press the trunk release button. It will not work until you take out the door lock and do what he did. I even had him wait.. I unlocked both doors by pulling the handle twice, before he took the lock apart... went to the trunk and tried to use the latch and it was still locked.

But that definately is a heads up, +1
Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
100!? damn!!

- Retired -
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
hmmm....well maybe he did have to do that to get into the trunk ( i never heard of that method)
He definitely reprogrammed your key with the method you mentioned...and it could be possible that he programmed one for himself as well...or maybe Bryan is a good guy after all...but if your car ever goes missing...a month from now or 8 months from now you'll at least will have a clue as to were to start looking.
Glad it worked out for you....there are alot of horror storys on here about keys being locked in the trunk.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Deep Blue
Banned

My Ride: M52TUB28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
hmmm....well maybe he did have to do that to get into the trunk ( i never heard of that method)
He definitely reprogrammed your key with the method you mentioned...and it could be possible that he programmed one for himself as well...or maybe Bryan is a good guy after all...but if your car ever goes missing...a month from now or 8 months from now you'll at least will have a clue as to were to start looking.
Glad it worked out for you....there are alot of horror storys on here about keys being locked in the trunk.

true. all he needed to do is press the trunk release. bmw double lock system is not that complicated.

test it out for yourself. lovk yourself inside your bmw and try to unlock yourself from the inside by opening the door, press the unlock switch, or press the trunk release.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Zeppelin420Fan

I may just try it out..! Now you all got me paranoid
Old 10-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
I just tried it on my car. I armed the car with the remote while inside. Then I pressed the unlock button and then the trunk button. It didn't work. Then I opened the door and the alarm went off. I have a keyhole delete so i couldn't test that part.

You should try doing that unlock/lock thing with your key and see if you're able to open the trunk.

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
Timbo126

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
How could he reprogram the key if he never had the key in his hand. The key was in the trunk the whole time.

But my door unlock/lock button doesn't work when the car is off.
Timbo126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
Zeppelin420Fan

Yah i just tested it myself. recreated everything.

Locked the doors with the key, then I immediately tried the trunk. nothing. Then I pressed the unlock button. It sounds like your car unlocks, but you'll notice the lock on the door doesnt pop up. Tried the trunk again, nothing.
Even after hitting the unlock button from inside, you still have to pull twice on the handle. Tried the trunk again and nothing. I even went outside and tried the latch. I didnt recreate the part with the screwdriver, but I imagine all youre doing is tricking the car into thinking you are manually using the key thru the keyhole. Because if you lock your car with that key, be it manually or with the remote, you need that key to do anything.

The screwdriver simply tricks the car into thinking you are manually opening with the key. I mean, you are after all bypassing the encryption device after taking the cylinder out. It seems so simple to break into the car by the cylinder but if you think about it, to take it out the door has to be open in the first place to take out that torx bolt.

End of stoner ramble
Old 10-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
Deep Blue
Banned

My Ride: M52TUB28
congrat. i am glad everything worked out for you.

do you have a ski pass?
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #12
Zeppelin420Fan

I dont think so but I believe my seats fold down.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Akovski

My Ride: 323CI
got on the forum to find an answer to this but just too complicated....

my buddys stuck at a track and they just got a grinder and cut out the center armrests metal. put the leather back up and didnt even notice it was cut.

great solution to an expensive fix
Akovski is offline   Reply With Quote