E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #21
refimail

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillsburydopeboi View Post
do i have to disconnect the battery or anything?
Nope.
refimail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #22
calvin415

My Ride: 03' 325xi
What if the bulb housing connector is corroded? Is there a replacement part for that grounding tab?
calvin415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #23
refimail

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin415 View Post
What if the bulb housing connector is corroded? Is there a replacement part for that grounding tab?
If you're talking about the small ground blade inside the 8-pin taillight housing connector, you can try using some sandpaper to lightly clean up the contact area. If it didn't work, you'll probably need to buy a new taillight assembly which I believe is $30-$40. My left taillight assembly connector's ground blade was slightly corroded and a little bit loose but everything worked fine after I slid the new ground splice connector onto it.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #24
Phoenixtsintsin

My Ride: 03 325i, 99 323i
You guys rule. I was beating my head on the dashboard. Couldn't figure this out.

I will be doing this repair this weekend.

Thanx.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #25
shock29

My Ride: '01 325i
I have a similar problem, but it is with my after market EAGLE EYES LED tail lights that I installed about 5 months ago... The lights came with a whack of resistors, which keeps the "bulb out" warning off. But just recently, intermittently I have had this warning come up on my dash.

The thing is, BOTH sides (left and right) come on and off TOGETHER. I have yet to see just one side come on.

Is the Bulb Out sensor in the rear independent like the headlights are? (only one will come on, whichever one is out)?

I was about to do the fix mentioned on the board here, but it seems like since they are both coming on Exactly together, it may not fix my problem.

Feel free to PM me or just post here

Thanks for the help guys
shock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
refimail

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock29 View Post
I have a similar problem, but it is with my after market EAGLE EYES LED tail lights that I installed about 5 months ago... The lights came with a whack of resistors, which keeps the "bulb out" warning off. But just recently, intermittently I have had this warning come up on my dash.

The thing is, BOTH sides (left and right) come on and off TOGETHER. I have yet to see just one side come on.

Is the Bulb Out sensor in the rear independent like the headlights are? (only one will come on, whichever one is out)?

I was about to do the fix mentioned on the board here, but it seems like since they are both coming on Exactly together, it may not fix my problem.

Feel free to PM me or just post here

Thanks for the help guys

The rear bulb sensors are independent. It sounds like you may have resistance/corrosion issues on your taillight assemblies ground wires. Check for corroded pins or melted connector pin holes in you taillight assembly's 8-pin connector. I have the factory taillight assembly. When idling or driving, one taillight warning would appear but both taillight bulb warnings would appear when I stepped on my brake pedal.

It wouldn't hurt to do the fix. It costs $2 and takes 5 minutes to do each side.

Pic of melted connector. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ted+tail+light

Last edited by refimail; 02-09-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #27
shock29

My Ride: '01 325i
thanks refimail. went and checked the connectors, they seemed ok. I had this problem with the ground pin before i did the led conversion, used some electrical contact cleaner. Nick from Jlevi recommended I check the license plate lights. Neither of them were working.

Upon removal of both lenses, there was almost a half teaspoon of green, corrosion powder came out! It was all over the bulb and the ballasts of each of the bulbs. The damage looks to be too intense to clean up and repair it, so it looks like i will be replacing some parts.

Ill have to do a little research to find the part name that needs replacing, then figure out how to get at it!

Thanks for the help guys
shock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #28
Phoenixtsintsin

My Ride: 03 325i, 99 323i
I tried doing this. It didn't work.

I don't have the tabs so I just soldered the extra wire to form the ground.

The tail light indicator is still on. Could it be anything else? I checked for corrosion, and there is none. All the bulbs work.

I guess it's not a big deal, but I'm just sick of staring at it when I drive.

Does anyone know of a link to a new tail light assembly? Thanx.

Last edited by Phoenixtsintsin; 02-10-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Phoenixtsintsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #29
refimail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixtsintsin View Post
I tried doing this. It didn't work.

I don't have the tabs so I just soldered the extra wire to form the ground.

The tail light indicator is still on. Could it be anything else? I checked for corrosion, and there is none. All the bulbs work.

I guess it's not a big deal, but I'm just sick of staring at it when I drive.

Does anyone know of a link to a new tail light assembly? Thanx.
- Did you solder your ground line to the metal strip where the tab should have been? Not all the metal strips in the taillight assembly are using the same ground.
- Did you check if your license plate bulbs are out, like shock29? Those license plate bulbs also use the same warning light as the tail lights.

You can try to look up the tail light assembly part number in www.mileoneparts.com or give them a call if you can't find it.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
99silver328i

My Ride: 99 328i....e46
Send a message via AIM to 99silver328i
I don't know if my problem is the same but i need some help too!

*Both of my tail light warning lights are on my dash.
*When I crank up my car my brake lights come on and stay on, and my 3rd brake light is on too!
*When I turn on the lights nothing happens because they stay on 100% of the time..... what can i do about this?? All the lights work, i just cant get them to cut off, ever!
99silver328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #31
refimail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99silver328i View Post
I don't know if my problem is the same but i need some help too!

*Both of my tail light warning lights are on my dash.
*When I crank up my car my brake lights come on and stay on, and my 3rd brake light is on too!
*When I turn on the lights nothing happens because they stay on 100% of the time..... what can i do about this?? All the lights work, i just cant get them to cut off, ever!
Go into your trunk and remove your rear tail light assemblies. Disconnect the black 8-pin connectors and see if one of the pins in each connector (leading to a thick brown wire) is burned/melted like this: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ted+tail+light

If so, perform the following BMW service bulletin: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B630306g.htm

If the connectors are not burned, follow the procedure called out earlier in this thread.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #32
SaaDiesel

My Ride: 02 330i Tech 1
Thank you so much for this write-up!!
Never again will I have to see the rear taillight warnings, definitely post this in the DIY section-I'm sure there are still a lot of E46 owners dealing with this everyday
SaaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #33
Brodees

My Ride: Topaz 330i
Send a message via AIM to Brodees
Endless thanks for this write up! This was an extremely easy and cheap ($8)DIY for what I thought was going to be a costly repair. The warning light for the turn signal has finally turned off and the signal works like normal again. Thanks a million!
Brodees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #34
speedlaw

My Ride: 03 330i Sport
Easiest fix ever. Thank you for posting this. I got the dashboard warning light, checked, and found my passenger side taillamp was 50% of the driver's side.

All bulbs were fluctuating at the same time. Took off the plug and found the pin on the taillight side was good but the socket on the wiring harness side was discolored and had seen heat. No major damage, but no longer a good connection.

I did exactly this, but used one of the 3M clips to connect the wires.

Dash light out, both sides now bright again.

You don't need to disconnect the battery. Just make sure the key is off.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #35
refimail

Make sure you add the extra grounding wires or you'll see the problem when the connectors corrode again.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #36
ctataibc

My Ride: 2003 bmw e46
I had the exact same problem on my 2003 320i on the passenger side rear tail light. I tried everything you guys mentioned and nothing worked. I went to see BMW service and they said it is the harness and it will cost $600 to fix here in Canada. Went home and out of frustration, I took everything apart and inspected the harness to look for defects. 3 hours later I noticed that the driver side had a slightly blackend bulb, so I changed it. What do you know, that worked. I guess the driver side alters the resistance on the passenger side and that solved it. Saved $600 bucks. Hope this helps others out, I almost gave up.

Cheers,
ctataibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #37
Green Halo

I also had this problem. I unpluged the black connector and cleaned the bayonet fittings with some coarse sandpaper. Fixed the problem straight away.
Green Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #38
mf9point8

My Ride: Mother ****er
awesome write up, worked perfectly.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #39
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
Wow, I need to do this as mine keeps coming on.

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #40
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
I don't have that little tab. Where can I ground it?

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote