E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Fizban

My Ride: E46 328 coupe
2000 E46 328ci Restoration and Modification

Hello all,
A year ago a bought an old 2000 E46 328ci as a daily driven car. The car was not in good shape, but i bought it since in my country, all non M E46 328 came automatic. This one was converted to manual, so i thought it would be a good start to learn on BMWs. The previous owner of the car had installed a turbo on it, but melted a piston due to incorrect tuning. All pistons were replaced and the turbo was removed. The owner also installed original, 2 part BBS 18" wheels and KW V2 coil-overs. Compression ration is now 9:1 instead of 10.5:1 due to the shaving of pistons for the previous turbo project

In this thread i will describe all the stuff i've done to fix this car, and somewhat Improve it. I've learned a lot on the E46 and spend a lot as well.
I used a lot of info from this site, so i think it would only be fair if i'd write my own experience on the car. Hopefully someone will find it usable.

Last edited by Fizban; 09-09-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
Hate to tell you this, but the static compression ratio of that car maths out to being lower than advertised for all the e46's. The 330i comes out to 9.1:1 assuming it is a 0.7 mm head gasket and the valve reliefs come out to a 3 cc estimate.

What have you done to it so far? Good luck to you!

AERA Performance Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

Last edited by BartenderPlease; 09-05-2014 at 02:40 PM.
BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Fizban

Be that as it may, I know that more compression was shaved from the pistons.
Thanks of the info.

There were few stuff that has to be fixed immediately:

1. Black windows which were a real problem seeing through at night.
2. Headlight Xenon kit which stopped working, The previous owner drove with fog lights.
3. Aftermarket Headlights which were causing the light computer show that all bulbs are out.
4. There was no Window washer liquid tank installed. The previous owner opened the sun roof and poured water to clean the windows when needed...
5. External air temperature was disconnected.
6. ASC light on (without ABS)

So I removed the black window stickers. Thrashed the xenon kit and installed regular bulbs to see something at night, and got the light computer sorted out. Installed the washer tank with pump and low fluid sensor. Installed the external air temperature sensor.
I also installed a new fan relay since the fan speed could not be changed (in the cabin, i mean). I saved the ASC for later, after i could connect to the computer.

Than I went into fix other stuff:

The top vents were broken, so i got a used working one from Ebay

Got some original BMW emblems for the car front, back and wheels

I changed the LED back lights to something with regular bulbs. Also added a chasis negative to the back lights (it was a common failure in BMWs)

Bought new angel eyes headlights since the odler ones were also aftermarket with white LEDs and confused the light computer

fixed all the wiring harness for the lights (since it was split for the LED head lights)

top - older headlights, middle and bottom - new headlights

Got an adapter 20pins to 16 since my car had only the round OBD connector.

Bought BMW Scanner to check the problems of the computer

I also replaced the rear broken ash tray - i hate broken stuff.

Next - i will post my findings after connecting to the DME and list the problems and stuff i did to fix them.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
Thats an awesome start. I wish the 20 pin adapter and interface were the first on my list of things back when I got mine.

If you got one more cable, the "INPA cable" found on Amazon or something, you can get a copy of EDIABAS online for free and have access to many more diagnostic features and modifications as well.

AERA Performance Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #5
Fizban

Thanks.
Actually, i do have an INPA cable. Just hadnt got around to get EDIABAS yet. The BMW Logger got most of the errors that the scanner in the BMW garage read.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
brickhaus

My Ride: 328ci
HAve you done or have any plans to do a rear subframe refresh? I need to do mine bad, not a lot of time and money being at school. Im just glad it will be driven very little with my mom driving it
Old 09-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Fizban

I have plans to do the subframe refresh. in fact, I've already have the parts from Turner. I will get to that and post more pics soon.

Last edited by Fizban; 09-09-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Fizban

So, continuing the repairs:

1. Fixed the reverse lights, which were shorted out because of an exposed cable in the gearbox.
2. I started getting hot air from the passenger side. Checking with this forum concluded it might be the water bypass valve. I bought it and replaced it + added gas to the A/C. Everything was cool again.
3. Steering controls for radio were almost white from usage. I bought a pair of used ones (since new were too expensive in ECS) and replaced them as well.
4. New fuel pressure regulator replaced the old, non OEM one.
5. I connected my phone with Dash Command to the DME and saw that short term fuel trims are on 0% and the status is OL-fault. It too me a while to figure out what the problem was. I even opened a thread here.
I consulted Stanley Manual and finally got a lead: Next to the DME there is a fuse box which has the fuse for the O2 sensors. I checked it with a friend it we saw the O2 fuses are burnt. We replaced the fuse and it burned again when i turned the switch on again. We opened the wire harness and discovered all the wires have melted and were shorted. Se we fixed that and finally i DME went into closed loop again.
6. I also discovered that my car was EU2 tuned, since i have only front O2 sensors.
7. The DME had a pin twisted and merged with another pin. That caused EWS error code and also the aux fan was not working. We fixed that as well.

Pic of the melted wires:

Fuses i've burnt during the process:

8. The OEM exhaust manifold has empty cats, so i bought Ebay manifold (after checking the threads of Ebay manifolds here) and 2 magnaflow CATs. Then we build the whole exhaust pipes from stainless still, and used the original back muffler for now.

Last edited by Fizban; 09-14-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Speedy12139

My Ride: Nothing
Off to a pretty solid start. car looks good, but those headlights.... look too "ricey" to me. just my 2cents
Speedy12139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
Fizban

Thanks, maybe they are a little ricey, but the ones before were white halo rings and xenons, which are considered even more ricey (at least to me).
Old 09-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Speedy12139

My Ride: Nothing
very true...

I'm just more of a fan of stock lights, with "upgrades"
Speedy12139 is offline   Reply With Quote