E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #21
castaway

My Ride: '03 ///M3
the clutch was next. sorry, no pic of it mounted, but you use a #40 torx to take out the 6 bolts (use impact wrench). instructions say at this point to watch out as clutch will fall off. not exactly in my case. pneumatic chisel to the rescue!!!

and clutch is out.

there's the flywheel.

and after 30 seconds with this

she came right off. finally, something went right!

the troublesome bunch:

now i'm waiting for UUC to open to pop over and pick up a new clutch + flywheel.
and a short shifter while i'm at it.

2003 ///M3 6MT
Steel Grey / Imola Red

Last edited by castaway; 10-21-2007 at 01:55 PM.
castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #22
castaway

ok, so just a quick re-cap of important things learned.

#4 - 10mm bolt holding on a small clip that holds wires in place. it does not hold transmission together.
#11 - dowel pin. causes trouble as tends to get stuck. when you remove all 9 torx polts, you just pry apart. the dowel pin is attached to transmission housing that you are attempting to remove, and will come along with it.

the rest - external torx bolts. there are 9 of them.

actually, none of these are really difficult to get to. you just need a few long socket extensions, one flexible coupler and a breaker bar.
once you break the 9 torx bolts, just use an impact gun to quickly get them out.

2003 ///M3 6MT
Steel Grey / Imola Red

Last edited by castaway; 10-21-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #23
castaway

i'd also like to give a big "thank you" to UUC motorwerks and thompson BMW in doylestown, pa.

i called UUC on friday and asked a few questions about my problem and about their clutch kit. even though i didn't place an order at the time, the tech was very nice and spent a few minutes on the phone explaining this process to me. awesome customer service!

i also called thompson BMW (dealer where we purchased this car new 5 years ago, and where it has been serviced to date) and they were also very helpful. spoke to a tech who told me about the dowel pin and how to pry it off. but for the record, the pneumatic chisel was my idea.

and of course, thansk to this site, and to all of you for your patience and input.

but, were not done yet ...

2003 ///M3 6MT
Steel Grey / Imola Red
Old 10-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #24
hexexe

My Ride: '01 325ci
Quote:
hey.

i'm in the process of changing out my clutch (read about my problems here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=514381 ) and was thinking of going the UUC clutch route. i'm assming that you just swapped out your clutch for one of theirs, right?

what do you think of it? is there a lot of noise associated? is the pedal harder to push? tiring as a daily driver?

thanks mate.

dominik
'02 325Ci
Yes I just swapped my clutch, flywheel and tranny ...here are my opinions:

I installed it and tried to drive it and i had a lot of rattling and shaking going on, decided not to drive it any longer but to take everything back off the next day, make sure everything was right. Turns out it was, just the clutch disc barely seemed to be touching the plates, 700 miles on it now and still wearing in baby ... I have a little noise which will get louder with the AC turned on, not a big deal. It still smells really badly, but its almost worn in. Talked to Rob a few times and to a guy who has the Stage 2, just like me... Both said thats how its supposed to be until it wears in.

my final opinions are, great clutch and flywheel, RPMs are a wild beast at this point. It will however require drastic getting used to this new set up since it will be completely different from Stock. I have not replaced my slave cylinder yet my clutch pedal is not much stiffer than before, daily driving is awesome, again...once you get used to the new clutch.

The first few days I hated it completely, now its almost worn in and a lot better, and I love it now

It seems like you will need a new flywheel, so you can resurface your flywheel and just get the OEM clutch kit less than $300 or you can go the UUC way. Either way it will be good.

and a tip, since everything is already off, i suggest you go with the uuc kit, and if not thats fine too, but with everything off take of the Clutch Delay Valve... there are tons of DIYs on this

Life is all about making choices and never looking back
hexexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:50 AM   #25
castaway

well here we are, days later, and all is well. but the assembly didn't go all too smoothly either ...

but lets start on a happier note,

oooooooooooooohhhh, pretty:

new pressure plate vs. old:

install new flywheel:

then clutch disc followed by pressure plate.

center clutch disc using provided bmw clutch centering tool and tighten the 6 pressure plate bolts.

here's where i ran into a problem. this centering of the clutch disc has to be pretty exact. in fact, very exact.

the clutch centering tool that was included in the kit (BMW #28) was too small at the area where it fits into the pilot bearing, causing the tool to have a lot of play and giving the clutch disc about .5 cm of travel in every direction. but i thought ok, maybe it's supposed to be like that, so i lined everything up as best as i could, and tried to put the trans back on. no go.

my solution (thanks to the forum here), wrap scotch tape around the end of the tool to make it the correct diameter.
sorry duct tape, maybe next time ...

and we were back in business. the trans went back into place nicely (thanks to my cousin who helped me lift the trans into place each time), and i began to tighten the 9 torx bolts back up. but, uhhh, there's no recommended torque settings for them. and of course, what happens?

you've gotta be fvckin sh1ttin me ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that bolt is supposed to be twice that long, but the other half is stuck in the trans. at this point i was really wishing it wasn't.

in all honesty, i didn't think i cranked it too much, i believe i had the torque wrench set to about 50, but that i guess was a bit too much. i remembered that these bolts required a bit of force to remove and just figured they needed an equal amount to go back on. not so.

fortunately, FORTUNATELY, this was at locations #6 in the below pic (this being the ONE location where you can get at the bolt from the other side) and after an hour with a file and screwdriver, i got the broken bit out.
i am all that is man!

and now for the happy ending. shifter back on (with new DSSR, still waiting on back-ordered EVO-3 short shifter from UUC), then driveshaft, then heatshield and exhaust.

it was finally over!

2003 ///M3 6MT
Steel Grey / Imola Red

Last edited by castaway; 11-03-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #26
castaway

i jumped into the car (after a loooooooonng shower) and tentatively gave her a start.

vrooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmm. she stood in the garage, patiently idling.

no shaking. no funny noises. no explosions.

awesome.

i pushed in the clutch. everythings seemed normal. so, i pulled the e-brake up (just in case, you know) and put her in reverse.

all is well.

e-brake off, and i start to release the clutch, slowly. clunk clunk clunk shake clunk shake clunk.

whoa!

but it's cool. it's SUPPOSED to sound like that. at least for now. i proceed out, on the maiden voyage.

skip ahead a week ....

we've now driven about 500 miles and the shaking has gone down signficantly. a few hundred more and i'm hoping it'll all be gone. also, i have absolutely no chatter, jitter, noise - whatever you want to call it - at idle. you couldn't tell this from a factory setup until you drive it.

but once you do, you know it's special. shifting is clean and crisp, and rpm's seem to fall a lot quicker when you push in the clutch. the car is fun again! and you can't help but launch from every stop sign/red light just for the hell of it.

thanks again to everyone here, UUC autowerks, and BMW of doylestown, pa for the help and support. couldn't have done it without you!

-dom

2003 ///M3 6MT
Steel Grey / Imola Red
Old 11-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #27
Paul180

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Excellent information. Thanks for posting all this information up. There aren't many people that try this DIY. I'm waiting for my clutch to go out so I can also do the same thing. How long would you say this job took you? (Days?) Would you do it again yourself, or would you take it in? Any other special tips?
Paul180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #28
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Dom, good thread!

Did you go with the Stage 1? It looks like you may have. I'm planning on it, as well. Thanks for the thread. Always good to have as many visuals as possible

Performance-wise, is it everything you had hoped for?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #29
Boston325Ci

My Ride: is a gas HOG...
Great thread, thanks.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #30
castaway

thank you all for the, uhhhhh, thank you.

while there's quite a bit of info on this DIY on the net, one thing i didn't find is a thread like this, listing all the problems that one might (and almost certainly will) encounter while attempting this. so, i figured i'd just document all the hiccups here, and if it helps even one person, then awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul180 View Post
Excellent information. Thanks for posting all this information up. There aren't many people that try this DIY. I'm waiting for my clutch to go out so I can also do the same thing. How long would you say this job took you? (Days?) Would you do it again yourself, or would you take it in? Any other special tips?
took 4 days:

day 1: place car on stands, remove exhaust, drive shaft, shifter, attempt to remove trans. total time: 4 hours. then hit the internet to figure out why trans would not separate (dowel pin stuck).

day 2: call UUC, call BMW dealer for help. discover that i need to pry trans apart. spend 2 hours without success. then find pneumatic chisel, and parts separate in a matter of seconds. celebrate with lots of alcohol (it was friday night). total time: 4 hours.

i took saturday & sunday off.

day 3: UUC opens at 9am. drive over and get stage II kit (only 20 miles away from my house ). pick up some tools (torque wrench, etc.). get home at noon. install new flywheel, disc, pressure plate. attempt to re-install trans but run into problem with clutch not being centered and trans not fitting. try a few times and give up, go to search the net (although i already kinda knew what the problem was.) total time: 5 hours.

day 4: wrap clutch centering tool with tape. a little trial and error until it's a perfect fit. center clutch. install trans (slides right on). connect shifter. install driveshaft, exhaust. then my dog runs out thru open garage door, so spent 30 minutes looking for her. found dog. put dog back inside house. took car out for spin. total time: 5 1/2 hours.

so overall it took me 18 hours, but a LOT of that time was spent troubleshooting those few problems. if i didn't run into the problems, and if i had the kit when i started, i could NOW do this in 2 days easily, probably even 1 day if i was motivated.

so, would i do it again??? that's a bit of a catch-22. having done it once, i'd say yes, the second time would be relatively easy. but i won't ever have to do this again, so all my expertise is seemingly going to waste.

however, knowing how much of a pain in the ass this is, i would NOT encourage the "weekend warrior" mechanic to do this, unless you really like to work on your car, you NEED to save some cash, and you have AT LEAST:

4 tall jack stands
2 decent sized jacks
a garage
ample tools (wrenches, extensions, external torx set, #40 internal torx)
an air compressor with impact gun, pneumatic chisel, etc
a helper to do some lifting (removing exhaust, trans)
lots of time.

i had all these things, and that's the only reason i tried to do this, thinking surely with all these things it shouldn't be a problem. but it was.

no other special tips. just use the DIY at pelicanparts.com. i think i ran into pretty much every major problem so you already read about it here. if you happen to run into additional problems, your BMW dealer may be helpful if you call them.

and of course, anyone stuck can email me and i will do what i can to help you out.

and most importantly, good luck!!! you will absolutely need it.

2003 ///M3 6MT
Steel Grey / Imola Red
Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #31
castaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Dom, good thread!

Did you go with the Stage 1? It looks like you may have. I'm planning on it, as well. Thanks for the thread. Always good to have as many visuals as possible
stage II w/ aluminum flywheel & performance organic option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Dom, good thread!

Performance-wise, is it everything you had hoped for?
it is. feels like a completely different car. faster. quicker.

..... sexier.

well i think so anyway.

and i DON'T have any of the "side effects" that you hear of (chatter at idle).

but it does take about 1,000 miles to break in. and it will smell during this time. and you'll have to get used to a different driving style.

unlike an intake/exhaust/pullies, you will absolutely feel the difference in this upgrade!

go for it!

2003 ///M3 6MT
Steel Grey / Imola Red

Last edited by castaway; 11-11-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #32
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
nice thread....read every single post...good stuff....thanks
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:33 AM   #33
Deep Blue
Banned

My Ride: M52TUB28
one of the best diy post. love the feedbacks, discussion, and pictures/diagram.

again, one of the best DIY on e46
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #34
tsylatac

My Ride: understeers.
Great writeup! I'm sure it'll come in handy this weekend

www.xiftw.com

2 0 0 3 | 3 3 0 x i

UUC Stg2 Flywheel, M5 Clutch, GruppeM, UUC/Axxis Brakes, H&R RSB, CSLs/General UHPs, Rogue Pulleys

tsylatac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #35
turbo97se

My Ride: E46 M3, Lexus IS300
Good write up! It is nice that someone took the time to do this. Just one thing to add though for people considering the stock clutch. The stock clutch is SAC (Self-adjusting) which requires a special tool (according to the service manual). If someone has a way to do this without the tool (part number 212 180 which is used with 212 170), then let us know. Otherwise, I would consider a non-SAC version of stock clutch. I am unlikely to get a stock clutch myself but others might.

Has any one tried a clutchmasters twin disk yet? I need a clutch soon!
turbo97se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #36
vnspaceboy

My Ride: 330ci
how did u get the transmission low enough to get to the top bolts? thanks
vnspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #37
vnspaceboy

My Ride: 330ci
also did u have to remove the starter? thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #38
iniguy

My Ride: 323i
This thread really helped out a lot for my 323i clutch job. I'm not done yet but thought I would post a few more pics that might be helpful to those who DIY a clutch.

Here's how I got the top and side bolts out.

36" snap on extension
3/8" u-joint
Duct tape to hold it all together and for support

I also used a large snap on breaker bar.

See the drawing with numbered bolt locations. I did number 1, 10 and 2 first. It was no problem at all to get them out. number 11 is the dowel pin that lines up the starter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09898.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	284762   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09900.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	284763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09901.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	284764   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09902.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	284765  

Name:	DSC09922.JPG
Views:	927
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	284766  

Last edited by iniguy; 09-13-2008 at 07:55 PM.
iniguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #39
iniguy

My Ride: 323i
Here's how the starter and trans fit together. I was able to unbolt the starter wire connection nuts with a 13mm, 10mm wrenches and a 5/16" socket. I accessed the starter wires from under the car and pulled the starter out through the trans tunnel. Again this wasn't to bad to do.

I figure with a 141,000 miles I will also replace starter and rear main seal while I'm in there. Buying all my parts from O'Reily's Auto parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09935.JPG
Views:	1292
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	284767   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09937.JPG
Views:	1124
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	284768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09939.JPG
Views:	1074
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	284769   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09942.JPG
Views:	1577
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	284770  

Name:	DSC09943.JPG
Views:	1148
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	284771  
iniguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #40
soh5241

My Ride: needs a detail...
Good job man ...me and my uncle installed my Stage 2 clutch and ltw flywheel in under 4 hrs in his garage also...with the help of Rob from UUC ....i was pretty excited the whole time..b/c it was my first major project...lol...I love my car even more now...thanks Rob.