E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #61
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Are there any special tools required for putting on the new stock clutch and namely the pressure plate. I noticed the TIS lists various funky looking and exotic tools. I'm still wondering whether I should go DMFW and stock style or LWFW and sprung hub. If installation of the DMFW and stock clutch and pressure plate setup is a PITA with requiring special tools, I just may as well go the aftermarket route and put up with the gear chatter.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #62
LAWLence

My Ride: '01 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to LAWLence
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Are there any special tools required for putting on the new stock clutch and namely the pressure plate. I noticed the TIS lists various funky looking and exotic tools. I'm still wondering whether I should go DMFW and stock style or LWFW and sprung hub. If installation of the DMFW and stock clutch and pressure plate setup is a PITA with requiring special tools, I just may as well go the aftermarket route and put up with the gear chatter.
The only trick to the SAC is the two-piece alignment tool. It's an extra step compared to a normal pressure plate, and unless you have the dealer tool, you only have one shot at aligning the disc. The retaining mechanism can only be released once using conventional tools.

I just did this job. This thread helped a lot in getting the tranny off. Make sure you have a 14mm allen bit before you tackle this job if you're using stock parts. I had one from doing the diff, but I don't think this is a common size in anyone's tool box (unless you work on BMWs a lot).

I recommend going with a single mass with a sprung hub disc. There is much less drivetrain slack with a single mass, and the clutch engagement is much more positive even with the self adjusting pressure plate.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #63
nickxtsui

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
***29275;***36924;***65292;***31163;***21512;***22120;***200 63;***33021;***25442;***19979;***26469;
Old 04-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #64
nickxtsui

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
I was just saying you were good. Taking off transmission seems an intimidating job to many bimmers although many of them wanted to try.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #65
Alu152

My Ride: 2004 325ci
So I have arrived at removing transmission following this thread and ran into a minor problem . Two of the nuts were easy to take off (#7 and 8) and nuts #5 and #6 are very very tight and it seems like the bolts are almost stuck or were put in without any lock tight. My question is .. is this normal or should i be worried that they bolts are giving me such difficulty. I just dont want to strip the bolts and have them getting stuck.
Alu152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #66
kdiggs

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
I am doing this process at the moment as well. Thanks for the excellent writeup. I am having problems getting 9 and 3 out as the previous poster was having trouble with 5 and 6. I actually shattered a U joint while trying to get 9 out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get these stuck ones out? I've tried PB Blast to no avail.
kdiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #67
kdiggs

Finally got mine out. Combination of allowing the PB Blast to soak in for an extended period of time, having the proper 6 pin ETORX sockets, and a heat gun (no flame). Note I did not have to hit the starter pin with the air chisel as I was able to wiggle the trans loose with my buddy. Thanks again for a great DIY.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #68
Alu152

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I tried taking out the transmission so I could replace my clutch but got stuck on three bolts and decided to give up and take it to a shop. The shop charged me 500 just for labor but it was the cheapest price around. I had very limited tools and was able to get away without utilizing my power tools until I got to the transmission housing.I gave up because the three bolts where on the transmission housing very tightly and I had already broke one of the torx bolts that had seized onto the housing. If you think you can get the torx bolts out the rest of the job is quite easy. I can now take off and put back on the exhaust, the heat shield, shaft, shift linkage, and lower the transmission in 2.5 hours. I would say try it out if you have some time and patience. I do not have any extra time to try and come up with solutions to the problems that I was experiencing, but if you have a few more tools at your arsenal it can be easily accomplished. Thank you for the Write up and I will be making my own very detailed write up on how to get to the transmission shortly.
Alu152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #69
castaway

My Ride: '03 ///M3

quick update for those thinking of buying a UUC lightweight flywheel + clutch.

DON'T!

the 325Ci just turned over 140,000 miles (55,000 miles with UUC parts) and the flywheel just failed catastrophically, taking the clutch with it.

it is being replaced with a stock clutch + flywheel.

that is all.

2003 ///M3 6MT
Steel Grey / Imola Red
castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #70
kdiggs

I just put the sachs in mine with the stock flywheel machined and so far so good (only 20mi on it lol). How hard were you driving her?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #71
castaway

My Ride: '03 ///M3
not hard at all. it's a stock 325Ci that was used as a winter car. i have learned over the last 55k miles that all the UUC items i installed are essentially crap. live and learn.

2003 ///M3 6MT
Steel Grey / Imola Red
castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #72
kdiggs

Really? I was thinking about getting a uuc exhaust kit and some other items. Would you recommend against all uuc?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #73
ziftar

My Ride: E46 323I
UUC dies at 55k???

Really??? I was getting ready to get the UUC Flywheel and M5 clutch combo kit. My clutch died last week. Spent Mothers day cleaning out the garage enough to get the 323 in. Now starting to pull it apart. I thought you couldn’t resurface a dual mass flywheel. Can you???

This thread is the best ever! Will save me a tremendous amount of time. Already purchased an air chisel just for the occasion.
ziftar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #74
kdiggs

I've heard both sides of the machining argument and for the 55 bucks vs the several hundred for a new flywheel, I went the machining route. Seems to be working just fine. I just had the mating surface machined. Should have taken a pic before the install but I didn't.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #75
ziftar

My Ride: E46 323I
Thx! I'll get it apart and see what it looks like. One of the benfits of having extra cars hanging around. I suspect it will look allot like yours did. Mine has 135K miles on the original clutch / flywheel. I really don't want to spend north of $500 if I the old one works perfectly fine. The local independent BMW guy said to watch out from hairline cracks. Will see assuming i get the transmission off.
ziftar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #76
Rigmaster

My Ride: 02 325iT Sport
Great writeup, thanks for taking the time to do this!

Unfortunately, I found this thread while in the middle of a transmission replacement in my wife's 2002 325iT 5 speed. Transmission is stuck in reverse, so I'm replacing it with a good used transmission.

I got everything out, cleaned it up, and I've been trying all evening to get the "new" transmission back in the car. I can't seem to find the right combination of lift/angle/tilt, etc to allow it to slide into place- in fact, I can't seem to even get it close!

I'm working on the floor, car jacked up on stands, so that's part of the problem (little to no leverage and not much room to work around).

I've got the front of the engine jacked up just slightly, this helped a great deal in getting the old trans out.

So, any helpful hints?? I see someone mentioned rotating the transmission a little bit counter clockwise- but I still can't seem to get it in there.

TIA!!
Rigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #77
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Try spinning the output shaft as you guide it in to help the splines line up.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #78
Rigmaster

My Ride: 02 325iT Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
Try spinning the output shaft as you guide it in to help the splines line up.
Thanks for the reply- BUT.... I can't even get them close enough for the input shaft to begin sliding into the center of the clutch disc.

The bellhousing is hitting the transmission tunnel on the upper "corners"
Rigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #79
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Oh yah, that part is tough. As you already mentioned, you need to rotate it to the left. Don't be afraid to really jack up the front of that engine... It really helps. Just take a few deep breaths and give it another try. It's frustrating but it will go. Good luck.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #80
CrazyNoobmodder

My Ride: 323i
is this differant on a 323i rear wheel dr automatic?
CrazyNoobmodder is offline   Reply With Quote