E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #101
jallantaylor

My Ride: E46
theres a few specs in the manual.. each of the torx sizes in the bell housing has a different rating.

just to followup, i dont think my gearbox was leaking - looks like it has a blowoff valve that caused all the fluid. getting tranny out and back in is the worst part by far.
jallantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #102
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Just a thought. Has anyone tried using an engine support bar, unbolting the lower engine support, and lowering the engine a bit to gain access to the top of the bell housing?
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #103
erod21

My Ride: 2000 bmw 328ci
heyi been reading up on your clutch replacement and i also got stuck on the starter blots i have a 328ci and looks like one of the bolt comes from the enginebay part, did you run into any blots like that?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #104
jogfrogjog

My Ride: car e46 330xi
I'm in the process of pulling the tranny but it seems to be stuck. I have a e46 330xi and I got all the bolts out and the starter is not on the dowel any more and there is a gap between the tranny and the engine of about 1/2 inch and I can rotate the tranny counter clock wise a few degrees but the tranny will not pull out. I tried wiggling and shaking it while pulling as well as prying on it with pry bars to no avail. I still have the transfer case on it and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I don't see it getting hung up on anything. I also removed the rear bolts on the front subframe for the engine and tranny to drop more to get access to the top bolts on the tranny. Any ideas why it won't come out?
jogfrogjog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #105
spykes

My Ride: 530i
it is the top stud. it is rusted and my transmission had a one inch gap. I kept prying and it kept going backwards. until I looked for the stud and jacked up the transmission. then stuck a screw driver under the dowel. then lower the jack causing the weight to seperate the stud and the engine block.
spykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #106
burgman007

My Ride: BMW E46 328I
Question E46 M3 LUK Clutch installed on E46 328I ?

Hi,

Please can anyone help me,

I just bought a 2001 E46 328I and I need to replace the clutch. I found a M3 E46 clutch with pressure plate which is in good condition. (year model 1999 -2001)

Will this M3 clutch kit "type LUK" work on my 328I?

I am under the impression my clutch is still stock. Someone has told me that if the M3 is a LUK and my fly wheel is a LUK it should work fine?

Please advise
burgman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #107
e46cslsedan

My Ride: 2000 e46 328i
e46 clutch replacement - ran into problem

Lot off work there looks good tho

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
e46cslsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #108
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
It is a good idea to apply a liberal amount of anti-seize compound to the dowel pins and starter stud when you reinstall the transmission, that will prevent all these problems when the transmission has to be removed in the future.
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #109
vanka472

My Ride: 00 BMW 323i Sport
Would like to revive this awesome thread. I am in the middle of doing my clutch and its become more of a pain then I anticipated. I feel like everything that could go wrong has and now that I'm finally working on getting these bolts off its been 6 hours with no luck. They are easy to strip and breaker bar doesn't help. Not to mention those top belts are next to impossible for me. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and see if that can get me omewhere. Thanks for everything though OP, much knowledge to be acquired there.

Cheers
vanka472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #110
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Re: e46 clutch replacement - ran into problem

The dowel pin in position 11 is the devil's own creation. I had absolutely no problem getting all the other bolts out, but that bastard just didn't want to let go... Well it finally succumbed at least. Just taking a short break before continuing with reassembly.

The original 210,000 mile old clutch disc appears to have a surprising amount of life left on it. If it wasn't for the throwout bearing making scary noises and a sneaking suspicion that the dual mass flywheel was the cause of the gradual worsening chatter it might have lasted a good long time still.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #111
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Re: e46 clutch replacement - ran into problem

And of course #11 is the hangup in reassembly too. Everything is going together beautifully, but I can't get that bastard reseated. Taking a break from wrestling with it before continuing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #112
Wulff

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanka472 View Post
Would like to revive this awesome thread. I am in the middle of doing my clutch and its become more of a pain then I anticipated. I feel like everything that could go wrong has and now that I'm finally working on getting these bolts off its been 6 hours with no luck. They are easy to strip and breaker bar doesn't help. Not to mention those top belts are next to impossible for me. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and see if that can get me omewhere. Thanks for everything though OP, much knowledge to be acquired there.

Cheers
I don't think I have ever have a job on any of my cars that became such a major PITA! I have built American engines from the ground up and put a 6-speed T56 into a 1988 Monte Carlo, I even built a frame and installed a Big Block in a Chevy Vega and took two 1969 GTO's one hit in the front, the other in the rear and made one good solid car out of it but NONE of these jobs were wrought with such horrible problems I ran into, from bolts I had to break loose with my leg and a 3 foot breaker bar to turning the transmission to get it out! I haven't put it back together yet!
I think it would be easier to pull the engine and trans as one piece!
Actually, reaching the top bolts wasn't all that hard, drop the motor down will help.
One of the problems I had was I pulled the trans about 1 in back and couldn't get it to go further, I got so pissed I left it for 2 weeks and came back and finally got it back! The throw-out bearing fell apart in my hand so I am thinking it was somehow jamming it in there!
I am in the process of removing the flywheel and since I am in there am going to replace the main bearing seal, anyone else do that?
Also, I see I have one of those nerdy delay deals in the hyd line, is it worth taking that out?
I love my Bimmer but I HATE doing major repairs on it! No wonder BMW mechanics make so much money!!!

Last edited by Wulff; 10-05-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #113
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
Tip get a 3ft extenstion and a universal joint then get them from the backside of the tranny. Works every time for me. Oh and I highly suggest using an impact or good air ratchet to get them.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #114
bronxbomerss2

My Ride: 05 325CI
Send a message via AIM to bronxbomerss2
bumping this old thread for some help. Everything has gone smothly until now. Im trying to put the transmission in and i am having a heck of a time finding the right angle to get the input shaft onto or even upto the clutch hole. i tilted the engine by placing a block on the jack via the end of the oil pan and that didn't help either. Im out of ideas. If anyone has suggestions for installing the trans back on i would greatly appreciate it!
bronxbomerss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #115
bronxbomerss2

Never mind i used the crank pulley to tilt the engine and it gave me a little more clearance I needed to get it back on but now I have an mm or 2 to get it flush and onto the dowels from the block. Any suggestions or is it just a matter of muscle?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #116
Maxp330ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Jack the front of the engine up and then just slide it in get a couple started then release the jack and then jack the tranny up as your putting in the rest of the bolts... Done
Maxp330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #117
bronxbomerss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxp330ci View Post
Jack the front of the engine up and then just slide it in get a couple started then release the jack and then jack the tranny up as your putting in the rest of the bolts... Done
i wish it was that easy, i spent maybe 4-5 hours today trying to get the darn trans to slide onto the dowels. I got the right side (passenger) dowel on but couldn't for the life of my get the top left one to go on. I did get the starter dowel to get most of the way in with maybe a mm gap or so i could see but i got both starter bolts on snug and the only thing holding me up was that left side dowel. I put anti seize on the dowel and that didnt help either. I honestly have spent more time trying to get the trans back on than it has for me to get up to this point. very frustrating.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #118
Maxp330ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Thats righ that dowel gave me a big problem to what I think I did on accidnet was actually put a screwdriver to it and a hammer, but this was when I was removing the trans.. You could always grind it down to make it fit also dont forget you have to rotate the trans.
Maxp330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #119
bronxbomerss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxp330ci View Post
Thats righ that dowel gave me a big problem to what I think I did on accidnet was actually put a screwdriver to it and a hammer, but this was when I was removing the trans.. You could always grind it down to make it fit also dont forget you have to rotate the trans.
i was alble to hammer the lower passenger side dowel in but not the drivers side one. i feel like it should just slide onto it. I cant even get it to touch the dowel, i dont know whats holding it up. its frustrating this is always the hardest part, everything else was a cakewalk.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 AM   #120
bronxbomerss2

Finally!!! got it, here is what i did....You MUST line up the dowel pin for the starter first before the dowels on the block will line up! Once i did this i was able to thread the bolt onto the corresponding dowel and it seated itself! what a reflief! i hope this helps someone down the line! everything else went smoothly from then on out!