E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
jiggz

My Ride: '05 ZHP & '12 X5 50i
help - car won't start...battery?

Turn key - dash lights, cabin lights, radio, etc. all work but that is it. Loud click click click click coming from dash - xenons flickering, etc.

I've done several searches and found a # of threads with this same issue. The consensus from those threads pointed to the battery, but most were able to jump it?

I tried to jump start it and still nothing. Even with a dead battery, shouldn't it start with a jump? The indicator light on the battery either isn't working, or is black (black means charge required per the manual)

I guess the fact I couldn't jump it has me wondering if it's something else? The car is a 2001 with the original battery.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
This just happened to me a week ago.

Click, click, click and lots of burrrring and humming from the dash.

At first when I tried jump starting it didn't work. But after I improved the jumper cable connections (by digging the clamp teeth into the terminals better) I was successful in jump starting the car.

There is much data here on replacement batteries.

Search on:

Everstart 48-3

Duralast 94R-DLG

Duralast 48-DL

Duralast 49-DL

All of these batteries will work in your car.

You need to be aware there is a vent off your battery because it is in your trunk. The batteries I mentioned have venting.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
techjunkie

My Ride: 330Xi
I dont normally like the "shotgun" approach of replacing parts until the problem goes away but if you have a 2001 battery and your having electrical problems, replace it. You should be able to jump start the car with a dead battery but sometimes there are internal shorts in the plates of the battery which could make it worse than no battery! Check the connections at the battery and at the starter if you can find the damn thing, I have no idea where my starter is. And get a digital voltmeter, they are not expensive. You should have about 12.6 volts DC on your battery with the car not running.
Good luck.
techjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
DBLAZE

My Ride: is Fern Green!
Send a message via AIM to DBLAZE
This sounds like a battery problem to me also. Check the connections and try to jump it again; but chances are you will have to just change out the battery.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Fern Green 323ci - SOLD
DBLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
jiggz

Thanks for the replies guys.

I tried to jump it a 2nd time and it worked. Obviously my neighbor and I didn't have a good connection the first time

Got it started -> off to autozone -> checked it -> dead -> replaced with Duralast 49-DL-> good to go
Old 10-20-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
shine330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci,1988 325e
Bmw 330ci dead battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

I tried to jump it a 2nd time and it worked. Obviously my neighbor and I didn't have a good connection the first time

Got it started -> off to autozone -> checked it -> dead -> replaced with Duralast 49-DL-> good to go

I think all the e46 battery are going dead at the same time, I just had the same problem you had, my battery just died...I tested and tells me that a cell is dead. I called the dealer $146.00 plus taxes, I call autozone $ 79.00 for a 49-D but they did not have one in stock so I have to wait for monday. I would like to ask you if these Duralast batteries fit properly without any modification, also once you disconnect the battery.... did the radio went on CODE mode?? and do you or anyone knows what's the difference between the 49-D and the 49-DL
Thanks
Elio
shine330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
jiggz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine330ci View Post
I think all the e46 battery are going dead at the same time, I just had the same problem you had, my battery just died...I tested and tells me that a cell is dead. I called the dealer $146.00 plus taxes, I call autozone $ 79.00 for a 49-D but they did not have one in stock so I have to wait for monday. I would like to ask you if these Duralast batteries fit properly without any modification, also once you disconnect the battery.... did the radio went on CODE mode?? and do you or anyone knows what's the difference between the 49-D and the 49-DL
Thanks
Elio
Perfect fit. I removed the OEM adapter on the vent tube and used the one that the battery came with as it fit better. Otherwise, you should have no troubles.

Don't know the difference between the 49-D and 49-DL, sorry.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
stink

My Ride: 325xi
Heh, my battery just died today also... Thanks for the tips - looks like I am off to autozone for a 49-D
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
shine330ci

Quote:
Perfect fit. I removed the OEM adapter on the vent tube and used the one that the battery came with as it fit better. Otherwise, you should have no troubles.

Got the battery today from Autozone for $ 79.99 plus taxes, fits like a glove the only matter is that its just a little longer, I did not removed the white plastic the was at the edge of the original battery so the battery seat little un-level, no need to install a spacer to hold the battery down and it's very easy to install the vent tube. Remember if you disconnect the battery you will lose all the electronic settings,to keep the settings you need to do what I did, I called one of my friend and with jump cables I hocked up his battery to the battery terminal of my 330ci which is located in the engine compartment, we changed the battery and then carefully removed the jump cable from both vehicles, doind this way I did not lose the radio station and the air bags don't need to be reset... I don't know if it matters that the battery is just a little un level.. what you guys think ???

2001 BMW 330ci with 49,800 miles
1988 BMW 325e with 180,000 miles
1979 Fiat Spider with 63,000 miles ( sunday car )
Old 10-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
shine330ci

Quote:

Did you removed the little white plastic block where the original battery was ending ??
Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
YuCrew

My Ride: Volvo & MB
I think the DL means Duralast.
YuCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
shine330ci

Go with the Duralast 49-DL, I just installed on my 2001 330ci $ 79.99 plus taxes, dealer price was $132.22 plus taxes does comes with the vent tube . It's a little longer and little shorter, you will have to remove the little white plastic that holds the original battery in place and add small spacer to hold the battery down, I used plastic but you can also use wood.... It;'s a good battery 2 years free replacement and 7 years warranty. Good luck

Shine 330ci
2001 BMW 330ci with 49, 900 miles
1988 BMW 325e with 181.000 miles
1979 Fiat Spider with 63,000 miles ( my summer drive )
Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
JoeK
99% Stock

My Ride: 03 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine330ci View Post
Did you removed the little white plastic block where the original battery was ending ??
When i replaced mine with a 49-DL i removed it, it fit better for me. I think the new battery then sat a little lower/shorter than the stock battery.
JoeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
I think it is funny how we all have the same battery compartment and how some are able to drop in a 49-DL with no problem, while others have it riding on the white spacer, while others have to remove the spacer, while some have to put a spacer under the paddle clamp and others don't.

There must be some ugly installations out there, batteries flopping around....

I think the sum total of your 49-DL comments are contradictory and in the end make it confusing for the person who is looking for a battery replacement. I know it did for me a few weeks ago.

Turns out that I ended up going with a different solution than the 49-DL that was cheaper and had fewer installation issues.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
ougeta

My Ride: 2000 323cic
I just had the same problem 2 days ago, searched for a battery. Cheapest I found was at a parts store for $95 so i called up the dealer and got one under discount for $118. I think i saved around 15%. So Good luck
ougeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #16
shine330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
When i replaced mine with a 49-DL i removed it, it fit better for me. I think the new battery then sat a little lower/shorter than the stock battery.

I removed the white plastic piece and battery fits better now,
I add a round piece of soft plastic to hold the battery down....
Old 10-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #17
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
get a BOSCH battery

cost 110.00
same exact size and shape as factory
available at pepboys

Last edited by VALMONT; 10-26-2007 at 06:57 PM.
VALMONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
shine330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
I think it is funny how we all have the same battery compartment and how some are able to drop in a 49-DL with no problem, while others have it riding on the white spacer, while others have to remove the spacer, while some have to put a spacer under the paddle clamp and others don't.

There must be some ugly installations out there, batteries flopping around....

I think the sum total of your 49-DL comments are contradictory and in the end make it confusing for the person who is looking for a battery replacement. I know it did for me a few weeks ago.

Turns out that I ended up going with a different solution than the 49-DL that was cheaper and had fewer installation issues.

Would you like to share with US which battery you installed in your BMW ?
Brand ? Model number and how much did you pay ?? this will help someone else who research batteries for our cars. Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
JohnMate

My Ride: What work gives me!
this may seem completely retarded and by all means call me what you like under the sun but its better to be sure then balls it up and end up costing me a small fortune. How do you remove the battery the metal bar over mine with the support plate is bolted in excessively tight for something that is removed semi regularly is this what i need to remove or is there some other tricky way about it? regards Johnmate

p.s I own a 02 318i

JohnMate is offline   Reply With Quote