E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
kookiekook

My Ride: BMW E46 2001' 325ci
Thumbs Up D.I.Y Chrome exterior to Shadow Black

Hi, Guys... i know this thread has been done before but i would like to post up how easy it was to do.... !!!
"spoonfedhatch" did this post awhile ago.. and he was right it worked out perfect !!

Before getting started make sure you have the things you need such as...
Etch - Primer Spray
Spay Paint.. (i used Satin Black )
Sand Paper.. ( I used wet & Dry 400G )
masking Tape
ALOT of Newspaper..

First i taped off the whole car Around the Window and the Chrome trim.. you will actually find that the Tape will go quiet deep in to the gap from the cars paint to the window trim...

After taping off the Car Continue to cover the Body paint and window from over spray.

Now its a good time to Sand the trim to give it a scratched look..

After sanding it get some mineral turps or some kind of cleaning liquid to clean the area so the paint can stick. .

After this has been given time to dry spray your first layer of primer on to the trim.. let it dry for about 30mins - 45 mins and apply another layer of primer...

After you have given time for the primer to dry i did over 3 hours 3 layers of black satin paint...

Even though you have taken time to cover your car in paint.. .. take your time to remove the tape.. as you don't want to catch any paint on the side of the trim. . and then you will have to respray the trim again..!!! so please i beg you take you time..

Finish product below... Very very happy..

Close up

I will post some day shots up in the future..
kookiekook is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
garodgers

My Ride: '01 325i
Looks nice!
garodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
nice
I'm going to be doing this too, but i'm going to remove the trim first.

you might want to clay the car to remove overspray. I guarantee there is overspray on the car right now

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
backdoc

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Great job! Any chance you can post up the specific brand of primer and paint you used? Did you apply a clear or not?
backdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
bimmer nation

My Ride: 2003 330ci
black trim question

if it is not to much trouble could you send me the brand of paint and cleaner you used and also where you got them. it looks really good btw has any of it chipped off with washing/cleaning your car
Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
kookiekook

Day 2

The Paint and primer i used which i got from "Super Cheap Auto " (for anyone who lives in Australia) was a SUPER ETCH PRIMER and the paint i used was VINYL & PLASTIC PAINT "SATIN BLACK" i didn't think this stuff would work until i read the back and it explained that it was for use on exterior trim on vehicles so that made me happy.. lol.. here are some pics...

oh' and i haven't washed the car yet because i finished the project last night.. and i wanted to see how the car was to the heat over here.. As i park the car out side all day..

i used this stuff to clean the trim before painting .. AND LET IT DRY or the paint wont stick !!!! only need a drop of this stuff..

I'll take some proper shots with the digital camera when i get time and also after i have cleaned it to show of any changes..
Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Crazedcat

My Ride: TiAg 330i
Looks good! Your ride looks SO much better now. And meaner
Crazedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Greg@UniqueDesign
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330Ci
I was recommended to use SEM trim paint by someone I know that owns a body shop. I haven't had any chipping problems yet, but it hasn't been on there that long.

Nice DIY
Greg@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
Surrept

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Does anyone have any pics of a titanium silver e46 with dark trim. Curious to know how it would look on a silver car where the chrome tends to look the best as far as stock looks go.
Surrept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
Crazedcat

My Ride: TiAg 330i
sorry wrong post

Last edited by Crazedcat; 10-25-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Crazedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
bimmer nation

ya looks great
thanks for the help
and is that the name of the website i can oreder it from also where did you buy the cleaner

thanx for ur help
Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Looks great! How come you didn't add a layer of clear on there?

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
M-Audio, Power Sunshades, GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
I should have sooo done that when my car was taped up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
kookiekook

The cleaner is just turps.. should be able to get it from any hardware shop.. probley cos i am in Australia its different in the states?? i dont know but for the paint go to any car auto shop they should sell it.. even hardware stores should too.. i didnt need to but a coat of clear coat cos the paint is durable and doesnt need it.. and if i did a coat of clear coat it will most likely take away the look of the satin in the paint.. It rained here last night and paint has held up fine.. no problems yet !!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
bimmer nation

sweet so this was an all day project
Old 10-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #16
kookiekook

Well it took me 3hrs 40mins just to cover the car.. lol.. but when i got to the 2nd side i realised a quicker and faster way.. honestly i think you should do it.. i was vvery very hesitant to doing it.. but now that i done it and realised how easy it was.. i feel like doing some more.. lol..

Oh and if any paint gets on your windows dont worry as you can use a razor blade to scrape it off.. .and it will leave no marks.. honestly "bimmer nation" just do it.. lol.. you know u wanna... lol.. and problems email me at kookiekook@hotmail.com
Old 10-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #17
bimmer nation

thanks a lot and i am going to do it next weekend
i just had my lights blacked out and i painted my fog light covers and everything else black so im going to paint the trim next ill post pics when im done
Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #18
kookiekook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer nation View Post
thanks a lot and i am going to do it next weekend
i just had my lights blacked out and i painted my fog light covers and everything else black so im going to paint the trim next ill post pics when im done
What did u use to black out your lights?? ?? Paint...?? Spray tint??? tint?? and how did u do it.. from the inside of the light or out.. ??
Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #19
bimmer nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookiekook View Post
What did u use to black out your lights?? ?? Paint...?? Spray tint??? tint?? and how did u do it.. from the inside of the light or out.. ??

well for my head lights and taillights i used this special tint made specifically for lights. it is a lot thicker than window tint. as for my side blinkers and reflectors i used black caliper paint. it looks amazing i will posts some pics hope by tonight
and for my front bumper like all the plastic pieces by my fog lights i took them off my car and used black caliper paint as well
Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #20
bimmer nation

also i did it on the outside