E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 AM   #21
kookiekook

My Ride: BMW E46 2001' 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer nation View Post
well for my head lights and taillights i used this special tint made specifically for lights. it is a lot thicker than window tint. as for my side blinkers and reflectors i used black caliper paint. it looks amazing i will posts some pics hope by tonight
and for my front bumper like all the plastic pieces by my fog lights i took them off my car and used black caliper paint as well
WHERES THE PICS>>>Please post them.. why did u used black Caliper paint// why not normal. .
kookiekook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #22
bimmer nation

My Ride: 2003 330ci
i used caliper paint because it is a hard holding matte black and it is really heat resistant and is very durable i wash my car 4 times a week and drive a lot and still no chips yet its looks great to
also how do i go abou tposting pics i dont really know how
Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #23
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookiekook View Post
The cleaner is just turps.. should be able to get it from any hardware shop.. probley cos i am in Australia its different in the states?? i dont know but for the paint go to any car auto shop they should sell it.. even hardware stores should too.. i didnt need to but a coat of clear coat cos the paint is durable and doesnt need it.. and if i did a coat of clear coat it will most likely take away the look of the satin in the paint.. It rained here last night and paint has held up fine.. no problems yet !!
haha..what would you have done if you walked out after the rain and saw streaks of black going down your car from it washing off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:42 AM   #24
bimmer nation

haha cry and cry some more then go figure something out but seriously this paint works so well
Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #25
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
lol....yeah,

Planning on doing this, this winter while my car chills in the garage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #26
Platelets

My Ride: '02 325ci
Wow your car really came out looking fantastic!!!! I am now contemplating doing it to mine, but I dont have a steady hand, and have never really been great with spray paint.

'02 325Ci

Mods: Custom Intake, M3 Lip, 18" M5 replicas, DICE, 10" Bazooka
Platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #27
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
great diy! i just wrapped mine in matte-black vinyl

- Retired -
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #28
kookiekook

Ay i dont have a steady hand either.. .lol... nor to i play around wit paint..lol. ... if you want to post pics up.. goto .. www.photobucket.com you upload pics on there and it give u a IMG code to post in forums ..
Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #29
bimmer nation

cool i also painted my trim inside piano black it look samazing ill post those pics to
Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #30
kookiekook

still no peeling.. also i didnt put any clear coat on there.. sticks fine..
Old 05-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #31
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
I have chrome trim (2 long pieces) off an E46 coupe for sale if anyone is interested. you can paint this first and then simply install afterwards.

available for local pickup in San Jose, CA

$150 obo

PM if interested.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #32
Rene325ci

My Ride: a car
I just did this to my 325ci. I also blacked out the grill. Looks great thanks for the great write up.
Rene325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:50 AM   #33
wutthebun

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Send a message via AIM to wutthebun
when you open your door, is the underside of the trim still chrome? or did u open the doors to paint the inner molding as well?
wutthebun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #34
kookiekook

no its black.. cos it didnt bother me if i got paint on the window cos i just scraped off to paint on the glass.. the only had part i found was under the mirrors.. but mine is black.. guess i was was luckie.. hha
Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #35
SaaDiesel

My Ride: 02 330i Tech 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutthebun View Post
when you open your door, is the underside of the trim still chrome? or did u open the doors to paint the inner molding as well?
Yo on the sedans when the door is closed there is a section of chrome trim thats covered by the seals. The best thing to do would be to remove the trim. I hear it is held in with clips and you can just sand & paint.

ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
BFP Intake, Euro Cooling Ducts, OEM Clear Lenses, 8000K HIDS
Matte Black-Grill, Headlight, Window, & Body Trim
SaaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #36
redronin

My Ride: 330ci
nice job, and it looks great

i should caution you. i did this the exact same way a few years ago. It looked amazing for about 1 year. after the winter, water seeped into the edges and minute imperfections in the paint, froze, expanded.... you see where this is going

the paint now looks like utter crap, and the car is actually in the bodyshop right now eating a >1k hole in my wallet for new gloss black window trim alone...

i really hope you have better luck than i did
redronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #37
kookiekook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redronin View Post

i should caution you. i did this the exact same way a few years ago. It looked amazing for about 1 year. after the winter, water seeped into the edges and minute imperfections in the paint, froze, expanded.... you see where this is going

the paint now looks like utter crap, and the car is actually in the bodyshop right now eating a >1k hole in my wallet for new gloss black window trim alone...

i live in Australia... on the Gold Coast.. people from the states say its like a hyped up version of Miami... lol.. just hot sunny days here and golden beaches... No snow for us.. 14Hr drive if i want snow though.. lol. hahha.. but thanks for the heads up,,
Old 05-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #38
zeshon

My Ride: S/C 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by redronin View Post

Why didn't you buy new shadowline trim from tischer? It's like 3-400.

Favorite sponsors
Bavarian Soundwerks | Euro Spec

Mods : Performance : Active Autowerkes Stage 1 C38 New Subframe and TMS Rear Re-Enforcements Upgraded VANOS seals M3 Fuel Baffle KW V2 ZHP Control Arms E60 Short Shifter Sound : Bavarian Soundwereks Stage 2 DICE iPod Link Looks : Replica M3 Mirrors Replica M3 Front Bumper Matte Black Grillz LED Signals
zeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #39
redronin

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeshon View Post
Why didn't you buy new shadowline trim from tischer? It's like 3-400.
um yea, look again, thats 400 PER SIDE and it doesnt include the lower mouldings. trust me my body shop got sick deals *350 for a mtech 2 front? hell yes plz. but no discounts on the window moulding

why bmw gods, why is a color twice as much as another color?

edit: i take some of this back, tischer site showing 314 per side for the tops, still have to get the 4 remaining other peices after 650 for the reveal moulding (bright black). thanks for the heads up im going to email that page to the shop see if they can get a better deal if they havent ordered it. may save me 200 bucks

Last edited by redronin; 05-06-2008 at 01:42 PM.
redronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #40
kookiekook

save ur self everything and take some time out of ur hetic life and buy a $20 can of paint and do it ur self..