E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 44,153
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarLessDriven View Post
So wait, can I swap out the 35w ballasts on the picolo HID kit from Jlevi in my Foglights, and get brighter/fuller light output??? JUST the ballast part?? That would be awesome.
no, unless your have HID bulbs that are rated for 55w use.
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #22
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Alpine325ci View Post
Tom you need to call me ASAP i have been trying to call you guys. i have a problem with something i ordered from you guys. i ordered which were supposed to be 55w racing HID's 6000k and i had them tested and they are the same exact lumen as my factory HID's. i wanted to know if maybe you guys made a mistake and sent me the wrong item or they really are no such thing as 55w HID's. the box itself says 35w. i dont know if they all say that or they are different boxes. im going to PM you my number thanks.
PM me your full name and I'll look into it immediately.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #23
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
no, unless your have HID bulbs that are rated for 55w use.
All Apexcone HID kits are shipped with 55W bulbs in case an upgrade is in the near future. Even the 35W kits have 55W bulbs.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #24
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 44,153
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
All Apexcone HID kits are shipped with 55W bulbs in case an upgrade is in the near future. Even the 35W kits have 55W bulbs.
yea i know that, but we don't know what HID kit he is running, so yea. other than that, 55w bulbs or an apexcone HID kit, you should be eligible for an upgrade with only a ballast change.
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #25
\\V
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 2,833
My Ride: 2002 AW 330ci
Out of curiosity.. Are there any 55w D2S upgrade kits for OEM xenons? I know that after a many years (from daily use), the original OEM ballasts doesn't power up the HID bulbs as bright as it originally would.
\\V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #26
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamann330ci View Post
Out of curiosity.. Are there any 55w D2S upgrade kits for OEM xenons? I know that after a many years (from daily use), the original OEM ballasts doesn't power up the HID bulbs as bright as it originally would.
Absolutely, we have them here on the site:

Apexcone - 55W Racing HID Lighting Kit
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1209

Let me know if you need anything else.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #27
\\V
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 2,833
My Ride: 2002 AW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Absolutely, we have them here on the site:

Apexcone - 55W Racing HID Lighting Kit
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1209

Let me know if you need anything else.
As far as upgrading from 35w to 55w in the projectors... are there any issues with the increased heat?
\\V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #28
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamann330ci View Post
As far as upgrading from 35w to 55w in the projectors... are there any issues with the increased heat?
There would be in fogs since it is such a small enclosed space - this is why we do not recommend the 55W kits in your foglamps.

Otherwise the 55W is fine in the headlamps.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #29
04Alpine325ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newark, NJ
Posts: 1,379
My Ride: 2008 E92 328i Coupe
Send a message via AIM to 04Alpine325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
no, unless your have HID bulbs that are rated for 55w use.
hey you ever hear of 55w HID kits having to wait atleast a week or 2 to get the full brightnes of the kit? this is what i was told but i am very sceptical i have oem 35w HIDs in my car now which is the same exact car you have and all. 04 facelift coupe. i put one bulb in the oem lens alone and the 55w ballast and bulb in the other and they were both identical in lumens. no difference whatsoever. now im told that i have to wait for them to get brighter sounds fishy to me. i hope EAS is right about this.
__________________
Proud Member of (Euro.Techniks-EAST)
04Alpine325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #30
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Alpine325ci View Post
hey you ever hear of 55w HID kits having to wait atleast a week or 2 to get the full brightnes of the kit? this is what i was told but i am very sceptical i have oem 35w HIDs in my car now which is the same exact car you have and all. 04 facelift coupe. i put one bulb in the oem lens alone and the 55w ballast and bulb in the other and they were both identical in lumens. no difference whatsoever. now im told that i have to wait for them to get brighter sounds fishy to me. i hope EAS is right about this.
The bulbs have a specific burn in period - 20 minutes of use will not get the full effect as explained on the phone this morning.

Give the kit some ample time - you will be pleased with results.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #31
M0nk3y
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,065
My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The bulbs have a specific burn in period - 20 minutes of use will not get the full effect as explained on the phone this morning.

Give the kit some ample time - you will be pleased with results.
Took my lights to get the ample color about 2 weeks........
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #32
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 44,153
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Alpine325ci View Post
hey you ever hear of 55w HID kits having to wait atleast a week or 2 to get the full brightnes of the kit? this is what i was told but i am very sceptical i have oem 35w HIDs in my car now which is the same exact car you have and all. 04 facelift coupe. i put one bulb in the oem lens alone and the 55w ballast and bulb in the other and they were both identical in lumens. no difference whatsoever. now im told that i have to wait for them to get brighter sounds fishy to me. i hope EAS is right about this.
not really. but for a lot of bulbs, there is a 50-100 hour burn in time to get the correct color. are you sure you got the right kit? usually with the 55w kit, you should be able to tell the difference right when you first put it in, though the color won't be exactly 6000k, it'll be slighting bluer.
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #33
04Alpine325ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newark, NJ
Posts: 1,379
My Ride: 2008 E92 328i Coupe
Send a message via AIM to 04Alpine325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Took my lights to get the ample color about 2 weeks........

man i sure hope you guys are right. i just got back from getting them installed and they do seem very slightly brighter very very slight. the color is nice for 6000k but we'll see as time goes by if they do get brighter than they are now im crossing my fingers. also i'd love to aim my lights down a bit anyone know how i can do that being that i have adaptive headlights?
__________________
Proud Member of (Euro.Techniks-EAST)
04Alpine325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #34
04Alpine325ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newark, NJ
Posts: 1,379
My Ride: 2008 E92 328i Coupe
Send a message via AIM to 04Alpine325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The bulbs have a specific burn in period - 20 minutes of use will not get the full effect as explained on the phone this morning.

Give the kit some ample time - you will be pleased with results.
thanks tom we'll see the results i'll let you know.
__________________
Proud Member of (Euro.Techniks-EAST)
04Alpine325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #35
M0nk3y
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 2,065
My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Alpine325ci View Post
man i sure hope you guys are right. i just got back from getting them installed and they do seem very slightly brighter very very slight. the color is nice for 6000k but we'll see as time goes by if they do get brighter than they are now im crossing my fingers. also i'd love to aim my lights down a bit anyone know how i can do that being that i have adaptive headlights?
all you have to do is adjust using the manual adjusters on your headlights if you open the hood...........

Then the headlights will adjust to that level
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #36
04Alpine325ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newark, NJ
Posts: 1,379
My Ride: 2008 E92 328i Coupe
Send a message via AIM to 04Alpine325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
all you have to do is adjust using the manual adjusters on your headlights if you open the hood...........

Then the headlights will adjust to that level
what manual adjusters?
__________________
Proud Member of (Euro.Techniks-EAST)
04Alpine325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #37
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 44,153
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Alpine325ci View Post
man i sure hope you guys are right. i just got back from getting them installed and they do seem very slightly brighter very very slight. the color is nice for 6000k but we'll see as time goes by if they do get brighter than they are now im crossing my fingers. also i'd love to aim my lights down a bit anyone know how i can do that being that i have adaptive headlights?
you do have the adjusters, just not what he's thinking about cause he's never seen another headlight. for your car, if you follow the radiator support bar on top of the headlight, you should see a semi-circular cutout. you need to stick a phillips screw driver and turn it clockwise to go down, ccw to adjust up.
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #38
04Alpine325ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newark, NJ
Posts: 1,379
My Ride: 2008 E92 328i Coupe
Send a message via AIM to 04Alpine325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
you do have the adjusters, just not what he's thinking about cause he's never seen another headlight. for your car, if you follow the radiator support bar on top of the headlight, you should see a semi-circular cutout. you need to stick a phillips screw driver and turn it clockwise to go down, ccw to adjust up.
i think i know the cutout you are talking about, i just need to adjust them down atleast half inch or an inch. i notice when im driving next to a highway barrier i see the shine of the light facing upward alittle and i would like the light to glow more on the road being that i have the 55w HID's now which are looking pretty nice so far. thanks for your help
__________________
Proud Member of (Euro.Techniks-EAST)
04Alpine325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #39
04Alpine325ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newark, NJ
Posts: 1,379
My Ride: 2008 E92 328i Coupe
Send a message via AIM to 04Alpine325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
you do have the adjusters, just not what he's thinking about cause he's never seen another headlight. for your car, if you follow the radiator support bar on top of the headlight, you should see a semi-circular cutout. you need to stick a phillips screw driver and turn it clockwise to go down, ccw to adjust up.
by the way i tried adjusting the healights and i didnt see them move one bit i used a phillips in that hole you talked about and nothing.
__________________
Proud Member of (Euro.Techniks-EAST)
04Alpine325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use