E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Fabulousj79

My Ride: 2001 330ci Conv.
2001 330Ci Problems

I would like to start by saying that I love this forum - there is an abundance of very knowledgeable people here!

I bought an 01 330Ci with 71k miles on it 6 months ago. I have had several problems with this car, and to be honest - I have never owned a car that has consistently had issues - but I still love it!!

The climate control got stuck on high (I guess which is better than not working at all) - Blower Resistor - $90 at the stealership. No more problems.

Fuel Pump took a dump and left me stranded on 695 - Fuel Pump & Fuel Filter - $400 at the stealership. - Runs now.

The door locks intermittently do not work, and the passenger door will not open sometimes - General Module - $360.00 - I have an appointment at VOB BMW in Rockville, Md. - Programming is supposed to cost $119. The service manager originally quoted me $350 to program it and after I asked him if he was a crack smoker and informed him that the process should only take 20 minutes he lowered the price. (the glove box is removed btw - just a plug in and program)

Now, the check engine light is on - I am getting 2 codes for lean exhaust bank 1 & 2. It is hard for me to believe that both O2 sensors went bad at the same time. Any ideas? Any common areas for a vacuum leak?

The engine also has an oil leak (I think it is a valve cover gasket) that you can see and smell smoke coming from the grill and wheel wells after spirited driving.

The alternator went out last week - I ordered one from ******************.com and I would recommend that nobody every use that website. Poor quality parts, service, and return policies. I had a very bad experience with them.

I'm hoping that after the valve cover gasket replacement and after I resolve the check engine light issue there won't be anymore problems - but for the last 6 months I have put about $1300 in this thing for parts alone. I am a professional techncian so the labor issue is more of a hassle with the exception of programming the general module.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this???
Fabulousj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
derek0606

My Ride: 01 330CI Orient
Sounds like you bought a car from someone that didnt care what gas was in it, thought changing oil was a option, loved hearing 6000 RPM revs (yea, who doesnt?) with no regards to how the valvetrain holds up on a cold engine, and never took the car in for any type of check up. Mine was mostly suspension work and a MAF. Good luck, good to hear you have a positive additude, which will pay off in the end.
derek0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
psu23525

My Ride: 330ci
So far I got all the problems you had except for the alternator & fuel pump.
psu23525 is offline   Reply With Quote