E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Update on BMW Performance Brake Rotors

Folks:

I installed a set of BMW Performance brake rotors on my 2003 330Ci. Everything is described in my original post:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...light=SLO+Town

I promised to send an update once I'd had them in use for awhile. So far, so good. Occassionally, very occassionally, I'll get a slight squeal from the left front in the last 3 or 4 feet of stopping at a stop sign or traffic light. About one time in fifty I'll get a squeal with very light pedal pressure in the moments before I complete the stop.

The pads are now fully bedded in and as far as performance goes, they're very good, though honestly I don't think they offer better performance than my old PowerSlot rotors did (I used Ultimates on both sets of rotors). Just last week I was in the Bay Area and made a downhill run on one of my favorite roads. I have a nearly 40 year history on this road and it can absolutely kill brakes and turn them into useless, smoking rubbish.

I was driving at a good clip and was deliberately over braking into the corners so I could better test the brakes. They made it down with only a tiny hint of fade in one of the most demanding higher speed braking areas. There is another corner within 4 or 5 seconds and by the time I got to the next corner it felt like the brakes had recovered fully, meaning that my over braking into this next corner was met with a 100% powerful braking response. The car stood on its nose...

I will tell you this, the rotor surfaces were dark blue afterwards - not unexpected, the Powerslots did the same thing (any rotor will).

All and all, I was fully satisfied with their performance.

Given the fact that I'm telling you cheaper Powerslot rotors seemed to provide the same performance compared to the far more expensive BMW Performance rotors, why would anyone want to spend more money for this kit?

I love the floating design of the front rotors. By the time I parked the car the brakes had cooled but the hats of the rear rotors were still hot (the rears are not a floating design), but the aluminum front hats on the front rotors were barely warm. The floating design of the front rotors definitely insulates the front wheel bearings from heat. This is a good thing.

Also too, the front rotors are 3.1 pounds lighter than OEM. And then there is that bling factor with the floating design. Let me just say it was worth if to me. The front rotors look fantastically sexy behind the front wheels!

One last thing. I loved the cadnium plating on the PowerSlots. With the unplated BMW rotors (or any unplated rotor) I get a splashing of rusty water on the inside of my wheels after washing the car. No big deal, but it reminds me of a big advantage of the PowersSlots.

FWIW,

Scott
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, staggered 19" BBS, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Kmoy2002

My Ride: 2002tii, 540i, 330i
Thanks for the update

I really considered these next time my rotors needed replacing. But I guess I'll probably opt for other rotors
Kmoy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Thanks for the follow up post.

Any opinions yet on the solid caliper bushings?

I'm also looking forward to the 32,254 mile update on pad and rotor wear rate. (for those who don't know the reference, see this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=505464 )
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
kmoy, if you have the money to spend, I'd get the BMW Performance kit. Though braking performance is no better than the Powerslot kit, the BMW kit offers superb performance and is sexier than hell. I have zero regrets.

jpr, I don't think the caliper bushings make much of a difference in daily operation. One thing I did notice, however, is that when I first installed the BMW kit, the wear marks on the rotor surfaces were identical from side-to-side. What I mean is that as the pads were bedding in, they were swiping the rotors in exactly the same pattern from side-to-side.

This tells me the calipers and pads were in perfect alignment, relative to each other from side-to-side. This is a good thing. That said, I don't remember if the Powerslot kit (with standard rubber bushings) did the same thing. However, if you've ever grabbed your rubber mounted calipers and twisted them around, you find a surprising amount of movement is possible. The solid bushings eliminate most of this.

Scott
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, staggered 19" BBS, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote