E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Ever notice Interference from Icelink?

Just wondering if anybody else has ever experienced this.
If I turn the volume all the way down, and I have the mode set to icelink, complete silence.
However if I switch the mode to radio or cd and the volume is all the way down, If I listen closely, I can hear a rhythmic pop. It's a very mild pop in the speakers, and it happens every 3 seconds or so.
Anybody ever experience this?
EDIT: Just thought I should also mention that I have the headunit version of the icelink and my current firmware version is 2.05. I have tried upgrading it several times to no avail however I am quite happy with it the way it is, I managed to get it to display text so I have no complaints.

Last edited by Tutankhamon; 03-15-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon
Just wondering if anybody else has ever experienced this.
If I turn the volume all the way down, and I have the mode set to icelink, complete silence.
However if I switch the mode to radio or cd and the volume is all the way down, If I listen closely, I can hear a rhythmic pop. It's a very mild pop in the speakers, and it happens every 3 seconds or so.
Anybody ever experience this?
EDIT: Just thought I should also mention that I have the headunit version of the icelink and my current firmware version is 2.05. I have tried upgrading it several times to no avail however I am quite happy with it the way it is, I managed to get it to display text so I have no complaints.
What happens when trying to upgrade your firmware?
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
norm325

My Ride: 03 325ci
I also have the same rhythmic popping too and I have the trunk kit. Do you still have the popping when the headunit is off but the car is running or with the key in the on position?

I emailed Tom at EAS and hopefully he will have a soloution for this problem.
norm325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Tutankhamon

Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
What happens when trying to upgrade your firmware?
It varies, most of the time I will try to upgrade, it will say something along the lines of updating... do not disconnect. But it will just hang there, after a while, my radio will go on, but the message will remain on the ipod. I cycle through the modes, and the icelink is no longer there.
Other times, I actually get an error (ie: error10) or something to that effect. I haven't tried the upgrade for a while.
A simple disconnect of either the icelink module or the car battery resets everything and brings the icelink back to life.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Tutankhamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm325
I also have the same rhythmic popping too and I have the trunk kit. Do you still have the popping when the headunit is off but the car is running or with the key in the on position?

I emailed Tom at EAS and hopefully he will have a soloution for this problem.
Yes, for me even when I turn off the headunit, I will hear this rhythmic popping. It's quiet, but it's there.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
norm325

At least I am not the only one on the board with this issue but my popping sound is loud enough to make it annoying. I would be ok with it if the popping sound didn't occur with the headunit was off.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
It varies, most of the time I will try to upgrade, it will say something along the lines of updating... do not disconnect. But it will just hang there, after a while, my radio will go on, but the message will remain on the ipod. I cycle through the modes, and the icelink is no longer there.
Other times, I actually get an error (ie: error10) or something to that effect. I haven't tried the upgrade for a while.
A simple disconnect of either the icelink module or the car battery resets everything and brings the icelink back to life.
Error 10 would be a hardware failure, I would probably recommend contacting Dension for a replacement module with the firmware preprogrammed on it.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
At least I am not the only one on the board with this issue but my popping sound is loud enough to make it annoying. I would be ok with it if the popping sound didn't occur with the headunit was off.
I'm curious how you can hear volume with the radio turned off? Can you explain a little more in detail?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
norm325

Tom, The radio/headunit is off completely off I mean pushing the button off no volume whatsoever. Before installing the Icelink when the headunit was turned off it would be completely silent but with the Icelink installed every 3 to 5 seconds a pop from the speakers it happens when the headunit is off with the radio or single CD playing, but when the Ipod is selected no popping sound. Unplug the Icelink module via the trunk or the connecting end to the module then the popping sound stops.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Tom, The radio/headunit is off completely off I mean pushing the button off no volume whatsoever. Before installing the Icelink when the headunit was turned off it would be completely silent but with the Icelink installed every 3 to 5 seconds a pop from the speakers it happens when the headunit is off with the radio or single CD playing, but when the Ipod is selected no popping sound. Unplug the Icelink module via the trunk or the connecting end to the module then the popping sound stops.
Without hearing/seeing it beforehand it would be tough to say what the issue is. Try turning down the gain voltage in your SETUP menu and see if this changes the noise at all.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
norm325

I just tried turning down the gain voltage and the popping sound is still the same. Any other ideas?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
I just tried turning down the gain voltage and the popping sound is still the same. Any other ideas?
None, We have already swapped out your module with a tested unit here on our bench. The problem can lie within your trunk cable or be interfering with something else in the system.

Check the female connector at your icelink trunk harness and verify the ground wire is next to the red wire, and not the white link in the picture:

If not, it would be a good idea to contact Dension USA directly to see if they've heard of the issue.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
norm325

Tom thanks! I will take a look at the trunk harness later tonight.

If the harness is correct I will take the kit out and put my changer back in...I give up.

Tutankhamon my apologies for hijacking your thread.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #14
Tutankhamon

Tom,
Any suggestions for the headunit version?
Any specific connections I can take a look at or perhaps do something to some of the connections to maybe insulate them better?
Or do you feel that this problem lies mainly with firmware?
Old 03-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Tom,
Any suggestions for the headunit version?
Any specific connections I can take a look at or perhaps do something to some of the connections to maybe insulate them better?
Or do you feel that this problem lies mainly with firmware?
Without hearing it beforehand, it would be hard to determine what it is. Was this something that has been happening from the start or just recently?

I don't believe firmware would be the solution in your case.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:02 AM   #16
Tutankhamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Without hearing it beforehand, it would be hard to determine what it is. Was this something that has been happening from the start or just recently?

I don't believe firmware would be the solution in your case.
This has been happening from the start
I'm almost positive it's a connection-based problem. It's a pop in the speakers and it happens every 3 seconds or so. The frequency seldom ever changes, definitely interference but no clue how or where.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:51 PM   #17
itzphong

My Ride: 01 330CIC, 02 745i
Send a message via AIM to itzphong
I get the popping interference also... i can definitely hear it when changing songs on the icelink... the popping only happens when the icelink is on.... it doesn't pop on the radio or anything..

sometime i can hear it with song playing on icelink?

any fix? i check the icelink connection from the ipod but not from the car to the icelink...

thanks for reading and helping

Want/BUY List
Pioneer Z2
UUC TS3Exhaust?
Fog light HID 6500K
Painted Front reflectors
Side clears
LED taillights
itzphong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:54 PM   #18
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzphong
I get the popping interference also... i can definitely hear it when changing songs on the icelink... the popping only happens when the icelink is on.... it doesn't pop on the radio or anything..

sometime i can hear it with song playing on icelink?

any fix? i check the icelink connection from the ipod but not from the car to the icelink...

thanks for reading and helping
If you've checked the wiring and cannot hear it from the radio side - there is a possibility it could be the module itself. I would recommend contacting Dension or email me directly (if purchased from us) for a to make arrangements for an exchange.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #19
itzphong

My Ride: 01 330CIC, 02 745i
Send a message via AIM to itzphong
thanks tom excellent service... even help me on phone on install..

Want/BUY List
Pioneer Z2
UUC TS3Exhaust?
Fog light HID 6500K
Painted Front reflectors
Side clears
LED taillights
itzphong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #20
Fastmonty

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Tom,

I just bought the trunk mount kit from you and am experiencing the same "popping" sound. It doesn't pop when using the ice/link. It only pops when listening to the radio or when the radio is off.

Obviously when the IceLink is disconnected, there's no more popping. So, it's apparently the IceLink module. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Fastmonty is offline   Reply With Quote