E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #41
freeride1685

My Ride: 2005 Imola Red 330i
bump
Old 11-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #42
specmiata

My Ride: 2000 323i
year and body style: 2000 323i/w sport package. Titanium Silver, Tanin Red Leather interior.
setup being rated: Koni FSD dampers with H&R sport springs
adjustments: 4 wheel alignment after the install.
additional aftermarket components: Delphi XM radio
additional info: 149,000 miles, I'm the original owner.
preferred ride style: I don't mind a stiffer ride as long as I can still drink my coffee on the way to work. New England roads can be quite rough in the winter time.
would you recommend this setup? yes, the ride quality is very nice with this setup. The Koni FSD dampers do a nice job of smoothing out the rough stuff and the H&R springs give it just enough stiffness to keep it flat in the corners but do not over power the Koni dampers.
price paid, including installation (if applicable): $901.00+shpping for the dampers and springs from Tire Rack. I also did strut mount bearings shock tower bearings etc... and new Meyle control arms. Total for all the stuff was ~$1,600. I did the work myself, took about a day and a half, but I took my time doing everything so that it was done right.
ride comfort: 8, the pot holes seem to be much more noticeable.
handling: 8 for now, I keep getting behind mini vans in my favorite exit ramps!

I did the install this past weekend (11/17/07). The dampers and springs that I replaced were the original equipment and quite worn, so it is difficult to give a comparison between the BMW sport package suspension and the Koni FSD/H&R Sport Spring package. I can say so far that the ride with the new setup is quite nice. I find that the stiffness of the Sport Springs is just enough to make the ride enjoyable. The Koni FSD dampers work as advertised. The new setup lowered the car about .75" in the front and .25" in the rear. No more gap in between the front tire and fender, it looks good without looking slammed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_323i_small.JPG
Views:	1082
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	249910  

Last edited by specmiata; 11-20-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Adding Picture.
specmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #43
flyinj3x

My Ride: 03/03 330ci
Send a message via MSN to flyinj3x Send a message via Yahoo to flyinj3x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmoy2002 View Post
year and body style: 2004 330i
setup being rated: ZHP Suspension
adjustments: None
additional aftermarket components: Factory

preferred ride style: A step up from the Sport Package, but not as aggressive as Coil Overs
would you recommend this setup? YES!!!! If you don't want to install a suspension setup. Best Factory Suspension
ride comfort: Driving is extremely comfortable. Harsh roads are bearable and not brain rattling. 8
handling: Compared to Coil Overs, this is nothing. But given its setup, it handles extremely well. Cornering is amazing 7.5
fixed
flyinj3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #44
freeride1685

ttt, more reviews!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #45
freeride1685

bumpp
Old 11-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #46
freeride1685

ttt
Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #47
freeride1685

bump it up i want comprehensive as in almost any kit one can think of. that would be ideal. and i know they are out there.

if there are enough reviews i will organize it by alphabetical order and push to get it stickied
Old 12-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #48
freeride1685

bump
Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #49
shrtbss

My Ride: 02 TiAg M3
Year and Body Style: 2002 M3

Setup Being Rated: GC Coilovers, GC Camber Plates and GC Sway Bars

Adjustments: Spring Rates (if I want) but currently "stiff", Ride height dropped 2", shocks at 4 turns from soft front and rear, and sway bars are stiff F and medium R, tire pressure about 32psi. Camber F -1.2/R -1 and almost no toe for tire life, corner balanced near perfectly.

Additional Aftermarket Components: 19" HRE Wheels with 30/35 series tires. The tires alone "decreased" ride comfort since theres almost no side wall.

Additional Info: Im looking for an aggressive drop that can accomodate pretty much anything I bring at it for the next couple years. I want it stiff but not so much that it rattles my intestines and also the adjustability just because I can... I like to play with the settings so I will tune it several times before finalized for daily driving but also keep a log of the changes so I can go back and forth when needed. This car is much different on my preferred settings then my previous car.

Preferred Ride Style: a bit on the stiff side with almost flat cornering and no pitch/dive when braking but soft enough that I dont cuss every time I hit a connection joint on over passes.

Would You Recommend This Setup? Yes, so far... Only about 1000 miles since suspension install. Car currently has 35K miles but I changed the wheels within 3 weeks of purchase so I dont really remember the stock ride.

Price Paid, Including Installation: About $3600 for parts, install, alignment and corner balancing but I have not been charged again for any further adjustments.

Ride Comfort: Probably a 6 in reference to stock and stock sport, but thats how I like it.

Handling: 9+, its a compromise between comfort and performance... I could get more aggressive on my camber and toe settings but I would like to keep my tire changes to a minimum. Toyo Proxes are already short lived.

Over all Im really satisfied with the Ground Control set up. Ive changed my shock settings a few times now trying to find the right balance to compliment the spring rates and sway settings. The car is well planted and I would say the term "on rails" applies here.

The car handles like a champ but I just havent had the chance to get out on some of the twisties. I have an '07 R6 and on a nice day its a tough choice on which to take out.

I didnt notice the GC stuff being covered so I hope this helps your search. I dont have any pictures yet but can get some soon if you guys/gals want to see.
shrtbss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:52 AM   #50
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Year and body style: 2000 323Ci Sport Coupe
Suspension review: H&R Street Performance Coilover Kit
Adjustability: Front: 0.5 - 2.2" Rear: 0.5 - 1.5" Adjusted simply by rotating the perch
Any additional components on your car: Ground Control Rear Shock Mounts, 19 x 8.5" CSL reps with 235/35 General Exclaim UHPs
Any additional info: Rear fully dropped, Front almost fully dropped (4 rotations up)
The ride style you prefer: Stiff but not back breaking
Would you recommend this setup? I like it so far, no complaints. I still have some tweaking to get it the way I want it. Right now it is too low for my tastes.
Price paid, including installation: Got the coilovers used for $660 shipped...Did the install myself.

Based on a 1-10 rating scale:

Ride Comfort: 6, firmer than stock, but definitely bearable, you'll feel the bumps
Handling: 9-10, very little to no body roll. Made it feel like a whole new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:02 AM   #51
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
bump for some KW reviews was hoping to hear about them subscribing this thread as im looking for a new suspension lol
mcr_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #52
freeride1685

let's keep this thread going guys, great comments here and i really appreciate the descriptiveness that everyone has been sharing.

BUMP!!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #53
Silver325

My Ride: 2002 325i
preferred ride style: I don't mind a stiffer ride as long as I can still drink my coffee on the way to work. New England roads can be quite rough in the winter time.
ride comfort: 8, the pot holes seem to be much more noticeable.

The new setup lowered the car about .75" in the front and .25" in the rear. No more gap in between the front tire and fender, it looks good without looking slammed.[/QUOTE]

Now that you have had some time with your new setup in winter driving, how is it performing? I ask because here in Maine, the roads are very poor and the frost heaves can be really nasty. Also, we are getting a lot of snow and my concern with lowering is ground clearance and getting stuck. The adjustable kits would allow changing ride height between seasons, but that seems like a lot of work.
My car has the original sport suspension and I am at 126k mi. Even though I put on 16" rims to get a more compliant ride from a softer tire side wall for winter driving, those heaves in March can still rattle your brain.

Meyle control arms, M3 RTAB's, Bridgstone Potenza RE760
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #54
Silver325

My Ride: 2002 325i
^^^^^Oops, this is a question for specmiata

Meyle control arms, M3 RTAB's, Bridgstone Potenza RE760
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #55
ferrarix99

My Ride: 87 325e - 05 M3 Vert
Year and body style: 2001 330i Sport Package
Suspension review: TEIN Basic Coilover Kit
Adjustability: Adjusted by rotating the perch, can go very very low!
Any additional components on your car: 19" Hyperblack CSL's staggered
Any additional info:
The ride style you prefer: Comfortable with good cornering ability
Would you recommend this setup? I liked it in the beginning but not being able to adjust the dampening made the ride a little harsher than i wanted so I sold the kit.
Price paid Got the coilovers for $750 shipped...Did the install myself.

Based on a 1-10 rating scale:
Ride Comfort: 6, firmer than stock, somewhat bearable, you'll feel the bumps, especially if your in NJ!
Handling: 8, little to no body roll.
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Want your car coded? PM me.
ferrarix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #56
Art Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 E46 Coupe
Bump.

For those of us who are in the market, please keep'em coming
Old 01-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #57
metalmind1

My Ride: 328ci
bump
metalmind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:50 AM   #58
DWA626

My Ride: 318i
Year and body style: 2002 318i sedan
Suspension review: Vogtland junior kit
Non adjustable
any additional components on your car: AC 17" wheels with bridgestone RE040.
any additional info: 5cm drop front and rear
the ride style you prefer: Sporty with minimum body roll and resonable ride quality that is not too harsh on the passengers .
would you recommend this setup? Yes and No. It's a cheap way to properly lower your car, but only if you are willing to compromise on the ride quality. However i would not recommend it if your ride has the sport suspension already
price paid, including installation: $460 excluding installation.

based on a 1-10 rating scale:
Ride Comfort: 6.5 (comparing with stock n M-package)
Handling: 8

Last edited by DWA626; 01-27-2008 at 06:03 AM.
DWA626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #59
todd92

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Year and body style: 2005 330i ZHP
Suspension review: Koni FSD, UUC Swaybarbarian
any additional components on your car: 18" CSL, Goodyear F1-GSD3
any additional info: installed at 10K, 50K now
the ride style you prefer: Complaint with accurate steering and great grip.
would you recommend this setup? Yes, slightly more comfortable than stock, better grip and and flatter cornering.
price paid, including installation: $1200, swaybars DYI

based on a 1-10 rating scale:
Ride Comfort: 9
Handling: 9
todd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #60
DWA626

My Ride: 318i
i was just wondering
when people say "ride comfort: 9" in here
do you guys mean that the aftermarket suspensions actually give a better ride comfort than the stock 1s?

i am asking this because i've got fds that use TEIN/Tanabe coilovers on altezza, Mugen shocks on civic, H&R coilovers on mini, and they all have stiffer rides then the stock ones
DWA626 is offline   Reply With Quote