E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #81
BimmerPirate

My Ride: 2.5 Liter Saloon
Send a message via AIM to BimmerPirate
i have been interested for a while in getting some Bilstein PSS9's and called somewhere I thought was real reputable to get an estimate and he told me that it would take about 10 hours to install the coilovers. Now I am new to the modding game but that just seemed high to me! Is that guy just jerking my chain or what?

(srry, i hope this is considered on topic, but i thought it would be a good question for other people to see.)

Last edited by BimmerPirate; 06-18-2008 at 01:16 PM.
BimmerPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #82
keith_m3-4

My Ride: 02 325iT
year and body style: 2002 325iT(Touring or Wagon), 5-speed
setup being rated: 2008 Bilstein PSS kit
adjustments: coil overs, I didn't measure but I think it's dropped about 1.5-2" from stock sports suspention. And they are still get lower. I am about mid-way.
preferred ride style: firm and well dampened. comfortable enough for DD and baby yet reduce the slop in the stock suspension.
would you recommend this setup? yes. Might be too mild for hardcore track junkies but so far so good for me. spring can be a little firmer on the freeways but that might be too harsh for street(slower than 35mph)
price paid, including installation (if applicable): $950 without install. DIY.
ride comfort: 9.5/10.. only complaint is a little bumpy at slower speed(under 35mph)
handling: 6.5/7, these are more comfort oriented in my opinion. Body roll is still present but a lot of the slop is reduced.

Overall, I think this is a great package for the money. A set of springs and Bilstein shocks will already run around $700. For $250 more, you get a C/O system where you can adjust and shortened strut so you won't be riding on bump stops! This system is very comfortable as I rated above. The main issue with lowered springs is they reduce the amount travel!

It appears Bilstein re-designed their rear adjusters. The new design from what I can tell reduces coilbinding by putting the adjuster at the top instead of the bottom.

The only weakness, if it is one, is the springs seem to soft for spirited driving. If I remember, I'll post feedback later when I get a chance to push them on the track or autoX.

Last edited by keith_m3-4; 06-26-2008 at 08:10 PM.
keith_m3-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #83
keith_m3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPirate View Post
i have been interested for a while in getting some Bilstein PSS9's and called somewhere I thought was real reputable to get an estimate and he told me that it would take about 10 hours to install the coilovers. Now I am new to the modding game but that just seemed high to me! Is that guy just jerking my chain or what?

(srry, i hope this is considered on topic, but i thought it would be a good question for other people to see.)
If your's is a coupe or sedan, should take 2-3 hours for a shop.. if wagon like mine.. 4-5 as the trunk lining is time consuming.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #84
zactastic

My Ride: Merlin nonfixed gear
Send a message via AIM to zactastic
ttt. ill be posting on here when i get mine in. I have Eibach pro spring waiting to get some struts. i was going to get the Koni FSD's but i heard they are made specifically for a different Eibach spring...not the pro's? im going to search more on this because i thought that's what worked. maybe ill go with Bilstien or sell the springs and get the H&R cup kit... any suggestions. im going to call Koni rightnow.

"There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California." -Edward Abbey

"Learning from experience is a faculty almost never practiced." -Barbara Tuchman

...the mod bug got me and my Alpine 330ci;there's a list somewhere...
zactastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #85
kpmg08

My Ride: 2005 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_m3-4 View Post
year and body style: 2002 325iT(Touring or Wagon), 5-speed
setup being rated: 2008 Bilstein PSS kit
adjustments: coil overs, I didn't measure but I think it's dropped about 1.5-2" from stock sports suspention. And they are still get lower. I am about mid-way.
preferred ride style: firm and well dampened. comfortable enough for DD and baby yet reduce the slop in the stock suspension.
would you recommend this setup? yes. Might be too mild for hardcore track junkies but so far so good for me. spring can be a little firmer on the freeways but that might be too harsh for street(slower than 35mph)
price paid, including installation (if applicable): $950 without install. DIY.
ride comfort: 9.5/10.. only complaint is a little bumpy at slower speed(under 35mph)
handling: 6.5/7, these are more comfort oriented in my opinion. Body roll is still present but a lot of the slop is reduced.

Overall, I think this is a great package for the money. A set of springs and Bilstein shocks will already run around $700. For $250 more, you get a C/O system where you can adjust and shortened strut so you won't be riding on bump stops! This system is very comfortable as I rated above. The main issue with lowered springs is they reduce the amount travel!

It appears Bilstein re-designed their rear adjusters. The new design from what I can tell reduces coilbinding by putting the adjuster at the top instead of the bottom.

The only weakness, if it is one, is the springs seem to soft for spirited driving. If I remember, I'll post feedback later when I get a chance to push them on the track or autoX.
Keith I just bought a 2005 325iTsport, your post and stuart's have been inspirational, but I'll admit I'm totally new to both BMW and any type of modding. I intend to use the car as you do. The car came with 17 in E39 M5 reps and the rear wheel gap is acceptable. The front end is a little too high however. My question is can you just do front shocks/springs/coil overs? This is not from a cost issue rather ignorance.

Thanks kevin
kpmg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #86
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
year and body style: 2001 330Ci
setup being rated: Koni FSD Dampers with OEM Sport Springs
adjustments: N/A
additional aftermarket components: H&R Swaybars
additional info: car has about 100k miles
preferred ride style: Smooth but with good road feedback and precise control
would you recommend this setup? Yes
price paid, including installation (if applicable): 670
ride comfort: 9
handling: 9

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #87
keith_m3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmg08 View Post
Keith I just bought a 2005 325iTsport, your post and stuart's have been inspirational, but I'll admit I'm totally new to both BMW and any type of modding. I intend to use the car as you do. The car came with 17 in E39 M5 reps and the rear wheel gap is acceptable. The front end is a little too high however. My question is can you just do front shocks/springs/coil overs? This is not from a cost issue rather ignorance.

Thanks kevin
Hey Kevin,

You can but why? First off, you can't buy just the front portion of the kit. Then mechanically, spring rates will not work well together, front stiff and rear too hard. With the C/O, you can adjust the height to your liking anyhow. Good luck and enjoy!

Keith
Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #88
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Hey mods, can we get this thread moved over to the new suspension forum?
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #89
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Year and body style: 2003 325Ci

Setup being rated: KW Variant 1 Coilovers

Adjustments: Front 1.5" Rear 0.75"

Additional aftermarket components: Rogue RSMs & H&R 5mm Spacers

Additional info: KWs have about 1,000 miles on them, 61,500 total
preferred ride style: Sporty/connected feeling

Would you recommend this setup? DEFINITELY, the advantage of adjustible
coilovers is amazing. Great OEM like ride, that is stiff, complaint and sporty yet not uncivilized.

Price paid: Coilovers $1350 Install $225

Ride comfort: 8

Handling: 9
Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #90
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
year and body style: 2000 328ci
setup being rated: TC Kline M3 Double Adjustable shocks with 500lbF/600lbR TC Kline springs and ride height adjusters.
adjustments: Around about Front ride height 85% max ride height drop Compression 80%/Rebound90% Rear ride height 100% max ride height drop Compression90%/Rebound95% (will be adjusting those soon)
additional aftermarket components: Solid RTAB's, upgraded adjustable Front Sway, Monoball lower outer rear trailing arm balljoint, TMS M3 Street Camber plates
additional info: F18x8 with 225/40s, rear 18x9 255/35s, 92,000 miles, about 30,000 on this suspension. no rear sway bar, BMW replaced rear floor board from subframe/unibody tearing
preferred ride style: very aggressive, very connected to the car and road...
would you recommend this setup? probably not, unless you don't mind road noise. Note*solid bushings are loud
price paid, including installation (if applicable): bought the car for 11,300, dropped about that much in mod's so far! All installation was done by myself and a friend of mine. Excluding the Solid lower outer rear tailing arm ball joints. I had RRT install those.
ride comfort: 6.75

The car feels very connected. I daily drive/autocross and this car is very predictable even when pushed to the limit. Lack of LSD leaves some desire.

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 08-23-2008 at 12:57 PM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #91
jules vernon

My Ride: 3er coupe
year and body style: 2002 325ci, 5-speed
setup being rated: KW V3 coilovers
adjustments: HEIGHT:about 1/2 inch from bottom, See pic below...DAMPING:compression and rebound set-up as KW recommends to start with.
additional aftermarket components: changed RTABs and Rogue RSM's installed same time as susp. nothing else that affects suspension really...
preferred ride style: firm yet somewhat comfy... i like an agressive ride, but HAVE to have some comfort: the roads in Quebec are HORRIBLE( potholes, bumps, patches, shltty road work everywhere).
would you recommend this setup? Absolutely!! without a doubt!!
price paid, including installation (if applicable): around 1800$ incl. install.
ride comfort: 8.5/10 no complaints really, the coilovers handle the Montreal roads beautifully so far. a little harsher than stock sports susp. on some bumps, but overall still very comfy even tho the car is pretty low. it has rubbed (the car body, not the tires) on some very large dips in the road, but that has happened twice or three times since it's been on the car (all summer now, around 6-7000 km)
handling: 8/10 (i would give the stock setup a rating of 5.5-6/10) i'm only rating it an 8 because the car still has the stock wheels with shltty tires on, but i'm certain that as i upgrade those(wheeks and tires), maybe throw on some sway bars, the coilovers will really start to shine. These are keeping me from really enjoying these to the fullest

At first, i was a little reluctant to getting these because the roads here are really horrendous to drive on (honestly guys, i'm not exagerating the least bit) but i'm thrilled at how these have handled the summer here. I've had them since june on my car, i've driven around 6-7000km's on them...Right now the coils are setup for a comfy ride , but next year, i'm going to start tracking the car from time to time, and i'll stiffen things up a little. I gotta say that these are like day and night compared to the FK cupkit i had on my mk3 glx jetta before. Great product! definitely would buy again!

Last edited by jules vernon; 09-05-2008 at 01:01 PM.
jules vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #92
turbrorx7

My Ride: E36M3, R1 RX7
Send a message via AIM to turbrorx7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ous View Post
year and body style: 2000 328ci
setup being rated: TC Kline M3 Double Adjustable shocks with 500lbF/600lbR TC Kline springs and ride height adjusters.
adjustments: Around about Front ride height 85% max ride height drop Compression 80%/Rebound90% Rear ride height 100% max ride height drop Compression90%/Rebound95% (will be adjusting those soon)
additional aftermarket components: Solid RTAB's, upgraded adjustable Front Sway, Monoball lower outer rear trailing arm balljoint, TMS M3 Street Camber plates
additional info: F18x8 with 225/40s, rear 18x9 255/35s, 92,000 miles, about 30,000 on this suspension. no rear sway bar, BMW replaced rear floor board from subframe/unibody tearing
preferred ride style: very aggressive, very connected to the car and road...
would you recommend this setup? probably not, unless you don't mind road noise. Note*solid bushings are loud
price paid, including installation (if applicable): bought the car for 11,300, dropped about that much in mod's so far! All installation was done by myself and a friend of mine. Excluding the Solid lower outer rear tailing arm ball joints. I had RRT install those.
ride comfort: 6.75

The car feels very connected. I daily drive/autocross and this car is very predictable even when pushed to the limit. Lack of LSD leaves some desire.

Why the no rear swaybar?

93 R1 RX7
Pettit built Engine with Large Streetport
T04R
465hp/390tq
0-60 in 3.6 seconds
turbrorx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #93
Pnltybox

My Ride: 2003 325i
Send a message via Yahoo to Pnltybox
Year and body style: 2003 325i
Setup being rated: H&R Touring Cupkit
Adjustments: Kit specs were 1.5" front and .75" rear, it took the front from a 4 finger gap to a little under two and the rear from two fingers to barely one.
Would you recommend this setup: This is the kit for you if you don't want the tucked tire look. Does not however give you any sort of ride height adjustability. Ride is definitely more harsh, if stock non-sport was a 10 this is a 6.5
Price paid, including install: Kit was $599/640 shipped from Tire Rack. Did DIY install and ended up paying about 40 dollars for consumables and use of lift and tools. I had access to a auto hobby shop complete with lift and wall mounted spring compressor, definitely the way to go for DIY!
Would you recommend this setup: Yes, but as I mentioned before the drop is not that dramatic. This kit should only be used if your objective is to get rid of wheel to fender gap.
Ride quality: As mentioned before if non-sport stock is a 10 than this is a 6.5, roads are pretty decent here in Fl so only the biggest dips give you the big jolt.
Handling: Once again if non-sport stock is a 5 or nuetral, this bumps you up to a 7.5. At first I thought it felt softer around corners like I had more body roll, didn't make sense lower should = stiffer which should = less body roll, but as I drove it more and harder around some of the twistys I realized it just had a lot more grip!

Some words to the wise if you are DIYing it, get your torque specs from the Bentley manual not some online DIY! My stupidity, and a broken bolt turned a 3hr install into a 8 hr nightmare! Also make sure to trim your front bumpstops about 3/4", I had to call H&R directly on this one after hitting the bumpstops a few times on some big dips. Apparently, there was supposed to be a paper in the box informing me to do this however the actual kit box had already been opened when I received it from Tire Rack, it probably fell out. Luckily I was able to go back and do it post install without removing the struts from the car. Lastly, give it time to settle in, the car didn't get any lower as I have heard some people state on here, but it did creak and groan for a day or two until everything got reseated correctly, now it's quiet as a church mouse. Oh, I also replaced the rear shock mounts while I was in there with the ones from Rouge Engineering they seem very well made and are very easy to install. Good luck with your new suspension, I know I love mine!

Here is a before and after...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smoked.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	285795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowered.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	285796  
Old 10-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #94
rtjones

My Ride: '95 Passat, '99 328i
Does anyone know if H&R OE Sport springs would be compatible w/ Bilstein HD series shocks? Just want to make sure there is no reason to not use this combo. This will be going on my '99 328i sport. Thanks.

EDIT: I now believe this is a good combo, and what I plan on replacing my OEM equipment with. At this time, it seems the cost is going to be approx $1,750-$1,800 out-the-door. This includes parts (incl tax) from Tire Rack, and indy mechanic labor ($800-850). I've added another $100 for incidentals (shipping, etc.) Not a cheap proposition by any means!

Last edited by rtjones; 10-16-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Additional info
rtjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #95
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
fanatics,
how do you do it yourself replace the springs and shocks? would appreciate if you guys can help...i got 325 sedan.thanks
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #96
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahilado View Post
fanatics,
how do you do it yourself replace the springs and shocks? would appreciate if you guys can help...i got 325 sedan.thanks
Please do a search, and look in the DIY forum. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #97
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
year and body style: 2003 330Ci
setup being rated: Koni Sports, ZHP Springs, UUC V2 Swaybars, UUC RTABs
adjustments: Swaybars in UUC suggested position, shocks set to a "2"
additional aftermarket components: none
additional info: car has about 107,000 miles on it.
preferred ride style: Sporty. Firm and responsive, but not one that beats your kidneys.
would you recommend this setup? yes, especially compared to a stock non-sport setup. it is a great starting point on an incredibly well rounded car, but it can get better.
price paid, including installation (if applicable): $680 for shocks, $75 for springs, $250 for swaybars
ride comfort: 7
handling: 7
Old 11-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #98
derek0606

My Ride: 01 330CI Orient
Anyone with Tein Euros wanna give some info?
derek0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #99
mr_bmw_m3

My Ride: M3 BABY...!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules vernon View Post
adjustments: HEIGHT:about 1/2 inch from bottom, See pic below...DAMPING:compression and rebound set-up as KW recommends to start with.
additional aftermarket components: changed RTABs and Rogue RSM's installed same time as susp. nothing else that affects suspension really...
preferred ride style: firm yet somewhat comfy... i like an agressive ride, but HAVE to have some comfort: the roads in Quebec are HORRIBLE( potholes, bumps, patches, shltty road work everywhere).
ride comfort: 8.5/10 no complaints really, the coilovers handle the Montreal roads beautifully so far. a little harsher than stock sports susp. on some bumps, but overall still very comfy even tho the car is pretty low. it has rubbed (the car body, not the tires) on some very large dips in the road, but that has happened twice or three times since it's been on the car (all summer now, around 6-7000 km)
handling: 8/10 (i would give the stock setup a rating of 5.5-6/10) i'm only rating it an 8 because the car still has the stock wheels with shltty tires on, but i'm certain that as i upgrade those(wheeks and tires), maybe throw on some sway bars, the coilovers will really start to shine. These are keeping me from really enjoying these to the fullest

At first, i was a little reluctant to getting these because the roads here are really horrendous to drive on (honestly guys, i'm not exagerating the least bit) but i'm thrilled at how these have handled the summer here. I've had them since june on my car, i've driven around 6-7000km's on them...Right now the coils are setup for a comfy ride , but next year, i'm going to start tracking the car from time to time, and i'll stiffen things up a little. I gotta say that these are like day and night compared to the FK cupkit i had on my mk3 glx jetta before. Great product! definitely would buy again!

Nice write up dude. I have these on my E46 M3 - but can you adjust the height while they are on the car..? I was told you could, but no one can show me how... thanks mate.
Matte Black CSL Rims; CSL Front Bumper, CSL Boot, CSL Diffuser, KW Variant 3 Coilovers;Interior LED Lighting Kit;BMW Predator Chromium Angel Eyes;Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads; SMG Paddles Carbon Fiber, SMG Dome Carbon Fibre, Kidney Grills Carbon Fibre, Kamei Eyelids Eyebrows; Clear and Smoked Turn Signal Lenses;Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts, RE Front and Rear Bushes, RE Midpip w\EVC, Remus Muffler, Ambulance tint all round...

mr_bmw_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #100
mr_bmw_m3

My Ride: M3 BABY...!
Exclamation KW V3 Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules vernon View Post

Nice write up dude. I have these on my E46 M3 - but can you adjust the height while they are on the car..? I was told you could, but no one can show me how... thanks mate.
Matte Black CSL Rims; CSL Front Bumper, CSL Boot, CSL Diffuser, KW Variant 3 Coilovers;Interior LED Lighting Kit;BMW Predator Chromium Angel Eyes;Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads; SMG Paddles Carbon Fiber, SMG Dome Carbon Fibre, Kidney Grills Carbon Fibre, Kamei Eyelids Eyebrows; Clear and Smoked Turn Signal Lenses;Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts, RE Front and Rear Bushes, RE Midpip w\EVC, Remus Muffler, Ambulance tint all round...

mr_bmw_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote