E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #101
jules vernon

My Ride: 3er coupe
hi! i just tried to raise them for winter and can't seem to adjust the rears while the springs are on the car...the front are super easy to adjust for height, but on the rears, the wishbone they are sitting on and the strut are getting in the way of the adjusting wrenches that KW provides. Looks like you have to take either the springs off or the strut to adjust it.

dunno if it's the same in an m3, but it does seem that you need to take the spring and the perch it sits on off my car... more info on that later this week

if what you're trying to do is adjust the rebound/compression settings, then it's pretty simple, just do what it says in your owners' manual

you might find this interesting as well
jules vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #102
joshv911

My Ride: e39 M5
anyone tried the Bavarian Autosport coilovers?

"lieber Nurburgring als Ehering"
(which translates to "rather Nurburgring than a wedding ring")
joshv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #103
Slick-Vic

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Tiag
I just read this whole thread and I still am not convienced with what setup to go with, with my M3. I'm leaning towards either Ground control or TCKline but at the sametime I plan on picking up other mods for the summer and plan on buying a house soon so the more affordable setup I will probably pick over the more expensive one depending on performance.

I had a Ground Control setup a long time ago and it was for a 99 accord V6. Of course you cannot compare the car but I think I can say that Ground Control's products should live up to they reputation right? I dont hessitant with the Ground Control because when I had it on my accord it didn't ride right and was extremely stiff and would bottom out on everything. Plus the polyurethan rubber piece that sits inbetween the springs would keep getting pinched off which would cause the car to rattle over every bump.

A bad experience from the past is what has stopped me from replacing my factory suspension on my M. I would be very pist if I paid more money again to have a end that is unsatisfactory.

What would you guys recommend for my M3? I would like to keep it under 2 grand give or take but am open minded with everyones opinions? Thanks for reading.

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Slick-Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #104
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
year and body style: 2005 325i, non sport
setup being rated: kw variant 2 coilovers
adjustments: adjustable ride height, adjustable dampening, adjustable front and rear sways
Ride height: front-about 1/4 inch from the bottom, rear-about 1 inch from the bottom
Shock Settings: right now i have the shocks set at 3/4 stiff and the struts set at 2/3 stiff.
additional aftermarket components: hotchkis swaybars, rogue engineering RSMs, H&R (F)5mm spacers, (R) 3mm and extended lugbolts
additional info: F17x8 235/40/17 falken azeni 615 R17x8 235/45/17 yokohama advan(evo 9 MR stock tires).. my other rims/tires: F19x8.5 235/35/19 R 19x9.5 245/35/19 dunlop sp sportmaxx..coilovers have about 4000 miles on them and sways have about 1000 miles on them. alignment specs: F:-2.0 degrees camber, 0.1 degrees toe in. R: -1.0 degrees camber, 0 degrees toe
preferred ride style: stiff and connected to the road
price paid, including installation (if applicable): coilvers-1450, sways-400, RSMs-100, alignment-150...i did all the labor myself apart from getting the alignment
would you recommend this setup? yes, this setup leaves a lot of room for adjustment. the stiff setting will put a smile on your face, while the soft setting will be just as comfortable as sports suspension
ride comfort: 5
handling: 9

this car is in fact my daily driver. the 5 mm spacers were for the 19's. they need the spacer to clear the strut. initially i had the shocks/struts set on full stiff. that got pretty ridiculous quickly. bumps were a LOT more pronounced and would jar through the car. i noticed that there wasn't too much roll even with the stock non sport sway bars, but there was still some understeer that i didn't think to dial out. i later set the shocks/struts at 3/4 stiffness. that made a huge difference and made daily driving it a bit more tolerable. handling was still great. the addition of the swaybars drastically improved the handling. body roll was reduced a fair bit. the sways are currently set at the stiffest setting in the rear and the middle setting in the front. even with this setup there was still a little bit of understeer at the limit. today i actually softened up the dampening on the struts to 2/3 stiffness to try kill the understeer at the limit. that seemed to do the trick. i will be experimenting with shock/strut settings before the next autox. all in all i'm very happy with this setup. it never fails to put a smile on my face when going through a long tightening corner and having the car pull through it like nothing was going on

Last edited by azzy989; 03-18-2009 at 04:36 AM.
azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 AM   #105
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Year and body style: 1999 328i w/ sport package

Setup being rated: H&R Sport Cupkit, stock sways

Adjustments: NA

Additional aftermarket components: 18" wheels, RE Shock mount

Additional info: installed over 4 yrs ago by original owner

Preferred ride style: I prefer a ride that is significantly stiffer without being harsh. I didnt expect flat cornering, and it does roll quite a bit, once it rolls to a point, it stops and corner solid. Ride is great for the low drop that it is, south east VA has some ridiculous expansion joint bump, that really, sound worse than they feel with this setup.

Would you recommend this setup? Absolutely. The drop is both noticable and stylish, but not over the top. I wouldnt be too keen to track it, mainly because of the body roll, but i suppose its would be much better than stock. Smoothness and comfort seem similar to the stock sport suspension, if not better, with much better handling, turn in, and better control, feels very sure footed, even when you hit the random bump mid turn, it just soaks it up and go. Body roll is def much better than stock ones ive driven.

Price paid, including installation (if applicable): See additional info above. i think $650 is the going price of the kit.

Ride comfort: 8, especially considering a few other setups ive ridden in

Handling: 7, considering other setups ive ridden in

Pics:

Last edited by Snik; 03-22-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typos
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #106
eddiemoney13

My Ride: 2003 325i
Bump to revive an informative thread. Anyone running on Bilstein HD's with lowered springs?
eddiemoney13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #107
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
year and body style: 2003 325i base sedan

set-up being rated: H&R sport cup kit

wheels used: style 119, 225/45/17, 245/40/17

additional info: 10mm H&R spacers all around
Roque RSM
total paid for install: $350 with alignment
ride feel: a little stiffer ride compared with stock suspension, but handling and feel really improves
highly recommended set-up practical for the price
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw pics.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	311723  
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #108
monmon_4

My Ride: 320i
stuff like this is what makes e46 great

euro clears, V2 LED angel eyes, m-tech II front bumper, trunk lip spoiler, chrome gauge rings, 18" m5 rims, chrome grill,
K&N intake, aux input, brushed aluminum pedals, active autowerke gen. 3 exhaust, RD Sport SSK w/ Rogue WSR
Bilstein sport shocks, H&R race springs
monmon_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #109
stb5151

My Ride: 04' 330i Dinan ZHP
Send a message via AIM to stb5151
+1

Great thread!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #110
vdubkid

My Ride: 2004 325i
I glanced through each page, and didn't see a thing about DDM Coilovers. What gives? I know of at least four frequent posters that run them.

Year/bodystyle: 2004 325i

Setup Being Rated: DDM adjustable coilovers

Adjustments: Dampening, Ride Height, Camber (?)

Ride Height: They can get very low, but I'm about four inches off the ground.

Shock Settings: 25 clicks front/25 clicks rear

Other Info: Everything else on the car is stock, including wheels and tires. Also, bought these with 250 miles on them.

Preferred Ride Style: Stiff and low. Anything better than the stock suspension would have been a huge improvement, but I didn't expect a race car.

Would You Recommend? This is when I start to get confused. It's worlds ahead of the stock suspension in terms of body roll and stiffness, but the ride is fairly bouncy. What really makes me hesitate recommending these coils is the install, which I did myself. The provided instructions were useless, and there isn't a single bit of indication on the shock as to orientation. I'd recommend getting these professionally installed unless you know what you're doing. Really know what you're doing. But the suspension is good. It corners flat, and the shocks can get very stiff. Though these are not made for the track. Long story short, I'd recommend these coils as a great stepping-stone for getting low. I'm happy with them, but look forward to the day I upgrade to something of higher quality.

Price Paid: $600 used

Ride Comfort: I haven't finished dialing the settings in, but I'd give it a 7 or 8.

Handling: Not a track-worthy setup, but it corners flat. 7/10

Pics:

Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #111
2brown4u

My Ride: 03 bmw 325ix sedan
anybody with a xi
2brown4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #112
mkodama

Setup 1
year and body style: 2001 330i
setup being rated: OE Sport Suspension
adjustments: NA
additional aftermarket components: BBS RG-R wheels
additional info: Spare tire removed, various pieces of sound deadening removed
preferred ride style: I aim/prefer the stiffest ride possible without being harsh over bumps and the car rocking over undulations in the road.
would you recommend this setup?: Meh, it's OK. Suspension is decent over a wide range of terrain from smooth roads to dirt roads. Relatively soft linear springs with lots of suspension travel soaks up large bumps equally as well as small bumps. But during aggressive driving on smooth roads, there is a good amount of body roll and steering is a bit lazy compared to sportier options. The excessive body motions actually detract from comfort a little bit. Also the shocks feel very basic and simple. Like many stock parts, a best compromise between every driving condition and economically priced.
price paid, including installation: $0
ride comfort: 6
handling: 4

Setup 2
setup being rated: H&R Sport Cupkit
preferred ride style: I aim/prefer the stiffest ride possible without being harsh over bumps and the car rocking over undulations in the road.
would you recommend this setup?: Absolutely not. Shocks were stiff and harsh over bumps when new. As time went by, the shocks became softer and softer to the point they were barely doing their job and the ride was bouncing all over the place. Shocks had a didn't feel very researched and developed. Also handling became horrible and lots of body roll when they failed.
price paid, including installation: $700, free installation
ride comfort: 3
handling: 2

Setup 3 (current)
setup being rated: H&R Race springs and Bilstein Sport shocks
additional info: Spare tire removed, lightweight battery, various pieces of sound deadening removed
would you recommend this setup?: Oh YES! The ride was incredible from day one. The shocks feel way more sophisticated and sorted out than either OEM or H&R cupkit. Driving over smooth terrain, the handling is so sharp you expect rock hard suspension, but drive over a small pothole or undulation in the road and the suspension eats it up and it doesn't even get transferred into the cabin. Larger bumps though are obviously going to have a bigger effect on the car than OE suspension since there is so much less suspension travel.
price paid, including installation: $600(used springs and wholesale pricing shocks), free installation
ride comfort: 9
handling: 8

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #113
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Setup 1
setup being rated: OE Sport Suspension
would you recommend this setup?: Meh, it's OK. Suspension is decent over a wide range of terrain from smooth roads to dirt roads. Relatively soft linear springs with lots of suspension travel soaks up large bumps equally as well as small bumps. But during aggressive driving on smooth roads, there is a good amount of body roll and steering is a bit lazy compared to sportier options. The excessive body motions actually detract from comfort a little bit. Also the shocks feel very basic and simple. Like many stock parts, a best compromise between every driving condition and economically priced.
price paid, including installation: $0
ride comfort: 6
handling: 4

Setup 2
setup being rated: H&R Sport Cupkit
would you recommend this setup?: Absolutely not. Shocks were stiff and harsh over bumps when new. As time went by, the shocks became softer and softer to the point they were barely doing their job and the ride was bouncing all over the place. Shocks had a didn't feel very researched and developed. Also handling became horrible and lots of body roll when they failed.
price paid, including installation: $700, free installation
ride comfort: 3
handling: 2

Setup 3 (current)
setup being rated: H&R Race springs and Bilstein Sport shocks
additional info: Spare tire removed, lightweight battery, various pieces of sound deadening removed
would you recommend this setup?: Oh YES! The ride was incredible from day one. The shocks feel way more sophisticated and sorted out than either OEM or H&R cupkit. Driving over smooth terrain, the handling is so sharp you expect rock hard suspension, but drive over a small pothole or undulation in the road and the suspension eats it up and it doesn't even get transferred into the cabin. Larger bumps though are obviously going to have a bigger effect on the car than OE suspension since there is so much less suspension travel.
price paid, including installation: $600(used springs and wholesale pricing shocks), free installation
ride comfort: 9
handling: 8

Strange how the shocks in the cup kit became mushy so quickly, especially since they are Bilstein's
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #114
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
Strange how the shocks in the cup kit became mushy so quickly, especially since they are Bilstein's
Do you have any proof or documentation the H&R cupkits for the E46 come with Bilsteins?

If you get higher end H&R suspension like the coilovers and what not, you get Bilsteins, but not with the cupkit. When I had both sets of struts hand in hand, they were different in every way. The welds that attach sway bar links were different, the body of strut was different, the shaft of the strut was different, the construction of the body was different, etc... Quality was definitely higher on the Bilsteins.

I think my new bilsteins are high pressure gas monotube, while the old H&Rs were low pressure gas twin tube.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #115
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Do you have any proof or documentation the H&R cupkits for the E46 come with Bilsteins?

If you get higher end H&R suspension like the coilovers and what not, you get Bilsteins, but not with the cupkit. When I had both sets of struts hand in hand, they were different in every way. The welds that attach sway bar links were different, the body of strut was different, the shaft of the strut was different, the construction of the body was different, etc... Quality was definitely higher on the Bilsteins.

I think my new bilsteins are high pressure gas monotube, while the old H&Rs were low pressure gas twin tube.
i do, it has bilstein written on my cupkit sport.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #116
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post

Ok, I'm totally confused now. I remember looking, and seeing nothing that said bilstein on them, because I thought they were bilsteins at first too.

Where on the shocks did it say?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #117
BigStoke

My Ride: 2000 E46 328i
Great thread.

BigStoke
'00 328i
'07 CBR1000RR
'05 Altima SE 3.5
'73 K20 4X4

- Stoke
BigStoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #118
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Quote:

I spoke to H&R today, and they assured me that all of the internals are Bilstein. They worked together to create the shock for the Cup Kit, or that's what they told me. And she also mentioned the front shocks for the 330ci are monotube (not sure about the high pressure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post

Well, I hope that's the case lol If so, it seems like the cup kit should be pretty good. That's why I'm confused when people say they turn to mush after 10,000 miles? I've had mine on my car for a LONG time, and they ride just fine; not great, but ok.
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #119
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Ok, I'm totally confused now. I remember looking, and seeing nothing that said bilstein on them, because I thought they were bilsteins at first too.

Where on the shocks did it say?
on the bottom of the shock. there is a sticker. the shocks are silver and there is a lil Bilstein sticker at the botton, i cant recall where they are on the struts tho.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:39 AM   #120
mkodama

I think I still have my old H&R shocks and struts lying around somewhere, I will check again for the Bilstein sticker. I'll also take some measurements and pictures showing how very different my bilstein sports and h&r struts are.

I'm really curious to figure out what is going on. Maybe I got some cheap chinese replica H&R cupkit instead.