E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
air wont go in my tire

Theres something wrong with one of my tires. I try to put air in but the tire is not havign it. When i connect the pump nozel to the wheel no air comes in, only air comes out.

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
MightyY

My Ride: '05 M3, '08 A6
Get the valve stem changed??
MightyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyY View Post
Get the valve stem changed??
How much will that cost?

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Is the tire completely flat? Does the valve stem appear to be damaged? Can you If it is the valve stem it will cost you to have the tire taken off, valve stem changed and tire remounted and balanced. $20-$30?
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
Is the tire completely flat? Does the valve stem appear to be damaged? Can you If it is the valve stem it will cost you to have the tire taken off, valve stem changed and tire remounted and balanced. $20-$30?
The tire isnt compelety Flat but id say about 75% of the air is in thre. I wonder how safe driving will be.

I have 4 Winter tires in the car That I was supposed to put on yesterday but it didnt get done so their still in the car, going to do it tommorow morning. I wonder how long i can drive like this.

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
jmueller

My Ride: 2001 330ci
valve core.. is like 40 cents.. but you should get it rebalanced
Old 11-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmueller View Post
valve core.. is like 40 cents.. but you should get it rebalanced
the valve itself will be cheap, but it will cost him to have the tire taken off then remounted and balanced.

OP If the tire isn't flat, if you take off the valve stem cover will air come out? If air doest come out when the cap is off, the valve stem may be ok. It could be your pump connection, are you able to put air in the other tires with no problem?
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
the valve itself will be cheap, but it will cost him to have the tire taken off then remounted and balanced.

OP If the tire isn't flat, if you take off the valve stem cover will air come out? If air doest come out when the cap is off, the valve stem may be ok. It could be your pump connection, are you able to put air in the other tires with no problem?
The other tires were fine when I put air in. But this one when I hooked it up no air was going it, I could just hear air coming out. I think its the valve stem

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
SteveX82

My Ride: 2001 325i
In all likelihood, it's just the valvestem core. The tip of the core is likely missing or bent so that it doesn't recede downwards and open up the valve. Slip a new core in there and you'll be good to go.

If, for some bizarre reason, the new core doesn't help, bring it to a tire shop and have them install a new stem. They will NOT have to dismount the whole tire and charge you for balancing. Just have them break the front bead, cut the old stem out, and install a new one. It'll cost you 3 bucks at BJ's, or maybe $10 tops at any other shop.
SteveX82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #10
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX82 View Post
In all likelihood, it's just the valvestem core. The tip of the core is likely missing or bent so that it doesn't recede downwards and open up the valve. Slip a new core in there and you'll be good to go.

If, for some bizarre reason, the new core doesn't help, bring it to a tire shop and have them install a new stem. They will NOT have to dismount the whole tire and charge you for balancing. Just have them break the front bead, cut the old stem out, and install a new one. It'll cost you 3 bucks at BJ's, or maybe $10 tops at any other shop.
+1 on the core. Aside from a cut or cracked valve stem (which would be easy to see/hear) this is a simple fix. Go to an auto parts store and get some replacement cores (they usually come in packs of a few) and a valve core removal tool. Pull the old core out, insert the new one and you'll in all likelihood be good to go. If not, follow Steve's advice and have the stem replaced, but I'd bet the core will do it.

You didn't by some chance use an fix-a-flat or slime to repair a leak, did you? That'll gunk up a valve in a hurry.