E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #61
Philbert

My Ride: 02M3|80 280ZX|87Yota
Just in case anyone with an M3 is looking at this, our fans are NOT electric, and do NOT slide right out (with shroud) with ease, like they do in this DIY.

You'll want a 32mm open ended wrench, and a fan clutch tool to hold the fan shaft while you loosen the bolt (it's a left hand bolt, so you turn it to the right as you face the car to loosen).

The other parts recommended here work just the same, but the fan and shroud are different. Also, there is part of the shroud near the airbox that is integrated AROUND the top radiator hose (!), so it tends to get in the way when trying to get the radiator fan shroud off).

It's a PITA. Plan ahead. Be patient.

Dinan S. | Clears | DiCE | OEM Alarm Retrofit | ACS Rep. Peds | DDEs

My Valentine 1 Hardwire | Remote Display Gauge Cluster Mod

Considering selling 2002 M3 Convertible (~38,000 miles) this year (don't drive it enough...). If seriously interested, PM me. SF Bay area.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:38 AM   #62
seemay

My Ride: E46 320d 02
Hey guys... NEED HELP!

sorry i am new on this. Recently bought a 320d 02 Auto with 87k on the clock. On the way home the other night the climate control belt just came off... thought it wud be easy to put back on but wrong.

I could reach in and take the belt completely off, no tear marks or cracks and it had an inspection II (worth nothing!) when i bought it, but i thought might as well replace it now. So now to get to the drive belts... On my old E36 u cud undo the screws for the fan housing and lift it out. But on the fan housing for this it is a full housing and the fan just stops it coming/lifting straight out. RealOEM link below...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=17&fg=05

I know i must be missing something simple but how do i get it out? I thought maybe u might have to go underneath, undo the fan bolt then take out together but the fan housing will stop you getting at it. Am really confused and seriously need help on this... (yeh yeh shake ur heads while saying noooob - i deserve it!)

I've got other power issues with this car, replaced the maf bit better but still no turbo till 2.1k revs... might try the pierburg MAF heard good things about it. otherwise still no power uphill and in 5th on the motorway can barely manaage 70 mph up any sort of incline. Its like the turbo is dumping pressure so no boost?? changed pressure convertors and vac lines, turbo breather air filter... But this problem is for another day....
seemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #63
seemay

My Ride: E46 320d 02
well i think i figured it out this morning. similar to philbert u have to use a 32mm and take the fan off with the shroud together....

heres a link to a diy for a e34 but same idea. why did they make it so difficult!!

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_14.htm
seemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #64
ras2247

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
Just in case anyone with an M3 is looking at this, our fans are NOT electric, and do NOT slide right out (with shroud) with ease, like they do in this DIY.

You'll want a 32mm open ended wrench, and a fan clutch tool to hold the fan shaft while you loosen the bolt (it's a left hand bolt, so you turn it to the right as you face the car to loosen).

The other parts recommended here work just the same, but the fan and shroud are different. Also, there is part of the shroud near the airbox that is integrated AROUND the top radiator hose (!), so it tends to get in the way when trying to get the radiator fan shroud off).

It's a PITA. Plan ahead. Be patient.
That's funny. That's the problem I was running into. But, I have a 330i. I'm assuming mine is like that because I have an auto and the fans seem to be setup differently.
ras2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #65
dragonfire6

My Ride: '02 325ci & '04 r6

replaced my belts today on a 02 325ci. took me about 2 hours because my fan is not one piece with the shroud.

my fan is belt driven and what i did was loosen the shroud and looking between the radiator and the shroud you can see that the fan attaches to the belt driven shaft with 3 screws. to avoid running to the store again, i used a 27 or 30mm torx bit to unscrew the 3 bolts (i don't know the actual bit needed, but my technique worked)

after doing that you can remove the shroud and fan and finish up using the DIY. i didn't need any other specialty tools but that shroud is a ***** to get seated correctly again.

good luck guys... its harder, not impossible...
Old 01-31-2009, 12:37 PM   #66
Gadgetrick

My Ride: ES330, Disco
Ok, trying to do this, however, I cannot (for the life of me) figure out how to get the belt back on. I've got it (the serpantine) threaded properly and sitting over the hex nut like it was suggested but I cannot figure out how to get enough tension to get it over the pulley. Any help????

Thanks.
Gadgetrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #67
Gadgetrick

My Ride: ES330, Disco
Ok, thanks for posting this great DIY but I wanted to add something which had me stumped for a few days. When you're putting the new serpentine belt back on, in order to release the tension enough in order to get the new one on, you have to put your torx head into bolt number 7 (see below) and tighten it. Then, once it's all the way as tight as it can go, you must keep trying to turn it in order to release the tension. It's not easy to do, you'll need to put some omph into it. I used a breaker bar which made it quite easy. But that's a trick I've not had explained anywhere in any of the DIY articles for changing the belts.

Thanks again for a great article!
Gadgetrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #68
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
nice guide. it seems too hard for me though

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #69
BaldySmurf

My Ride: 325 Sport Coupe
Will be doing this in the next month or so, excellent write-up!

I noticed the belts were looking worn when I did the thermostat about 15k ago... was picked up on the Insp 1 last week so need to get on with it really! Main dealer quote was amusing - 65 (approx $90) just for the altenator belt. No labour...
BaldySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #70
zp18zp18

My Ride: 99 323i
Let me add my 2 cents. This is a great writeup, since I just had my 99 323i towed back to the house after breaking the water pump/power steering belt and leaving me stranded. Fortunately it was 4PM when I called triple A and I was back home by 4:30. This E46 forum was the first place I went for help and if I can get the belts in the morning, I'll be sure I have the right torx bits and will do this tomorrow. I replaced the wiper motor assembly on Tuesday with the idea of posting a DIY. As soon as I get the belts replaced I'll do the motor DIY and post it.

• 65 Mustang GT Coupe (one owner, me)

• 87 535i(sold)

• 88 325is

• 99 323i

• So Cal, Orange County

I need a 02-05 330Ci

zp18zp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #71
mujjuman

Sorry about your 323i.. Yeah the E46 forum has helped me a lot since I joined.

Definitely post that DIY! Why did you have to replace ur wiper motors anyway?

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #72
zp18zp18

My Ride: 99 323i
Went to the snow area around Lake Arrowhead for romantic Valentines Day getaway. Snowed, roads plugged up, crappy cable chains just barely better than nothing and to add to that, the windshield wipers quit. The snow was wet and kind of heavy but didn't seem that bad and I thought that maybe they had frozen to the windshield. I freed them up but still no luck, then as I was about to pull over and stay until summer, they started working again only the rest position was straight up and down. They still wiped, but from the 12 o'clock position, they went to 3 and than back to 12. Sooooo, I got a replacement from a recycler and replaced the trim at the bottom of the windshield while I was at it.

• 65 Mustang GT Coupe (one owner, me)

• 87 535i(sold)

• 88 325is

• 99 323i

• So Cal, Orange County

I need a 02-05 330Ci

zp18zp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #73
mujjuman

Oh lol. Interesting story. Records show that my windshield wiper motors were replaced around 8700 miles... so I was wondering.

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #74
ejamin73

My Ride: '04 325i Sport Pkg
I've read this entire post.
So,
Where the do you have to use the 8mm Hex bit socket?
BTW great writeup

I just can't imagine the world without the smell of burned gas coming out of a well tuned engine:drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
nice try on the sig you tard. unfortunately, when you click the link you see the actual quote.

you are on a roll with the FAIL tonight. :lmao:
ejamin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #75
gimmethemuumuu

My Ride: '08 M3 Sdn, '07 328T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejamin73 View Post
I've read this entire post.
So,
Where the do you have to use the 8mm Hex bit socket?
BTW great writeup
For my car, an '02 325i Sedan, the main drive belt tensioner (not the A/C belt tensioner) used an 8mm hex bolt for the center tension release mechanism. Some cars use a T-50 here also (in addition to the one for the A/C). But not mine.

If you look at the diagram in post #67 above, bolt #7 was an 8mm hex on my car. Hope this helps
gimmethemuumuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #76
jrfitz81

My Ride: 2003 330 Ci converti
the tensioners have an easier way to 'de-tension' ...

If you look at the tensioners, there will be a fitting to put a bit/breaker bar without needing to take the cap off and/or use the center of the pulley.

first, the A/C tensioner has a recessed torx T-60/T-55 slot [the T-55 was the biggest one I had; it was a tiny bit loose but worked ok]. The pictures are from below, front side 'creeper' angle.

The main tensioner uses a stud for a 16mm socket - approx 18" long 1/2" breaker bar works just fine to loosen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1881.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	318035   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1882.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	318036   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1883.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	318037   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1884.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	318038  

jrfitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #77
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Kredden where is your main fan?
I have a huge fan there above the alternator belt. Did you remove yours prior?

EDIT: Nevamind I have an auto so mine is diff

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 06-26-2009 at 01:58 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #78
guest0927
Banned

My Ride: E46
Cool

hey guys. and nice diy bro. kinda a noob, so i was just wondering if this diy on these belts are the idle pulley belt and the belt tensioner? if not, what are the belts im talking about. saw it on another thread and they say it might be the problem to my squeaky squeally belt noise before it warms up. and did you guys change these belts on this diy because of my same reason im having??? please help!!! thanks many.
guest0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #79
bumere46

My Ride: E92
subscribed! will be doing that soon.
would it be a good idea to replace the pulleys as well?
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #80
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere46 View Post
subscribed! will be doing that soon.
would it be a good idea to replace the pulleys as well?
yup

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake