E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #81
X-vert

My Ride: 01 330i & 04 Tahoe
Just changed both belts, all the pulleys, tensioners and converted one to hydraulic last weekend. Hardest part was the fan (not too bad really) and tensioner conversion.
I took my time but it was not too bad at all.
Big props to all the E46 members for this DIY and keeping another car out of the stealerships!
X-vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #82
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Is there a pic or diagram of how the belt should go onto the pulley?, in the correct order. tnx.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #83
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
great post

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #84
oney1

My Ride: 323i 2000
My power belt broke at about 119K miles. Without any belt friction on the water pump pulley removing the fan was very tough. Eventually had to rent a "fan clutch holder", but still was tough to get the fan lose. Once the fan was off the belts were simple. Both tensioners have attachments for a 5/8 socket.
oney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #85
NikolaiD

My Ride: 2002 M3C
Send a message via AIM to NikolaiD Send a message via MSN to NikolaiD Send a message via Yahoo to NikolaiD Send a message via Skype™ to NikolaiD
It's a lot easier to to do it from the bottom. You do not need to take any fans off to change belts. I don't know why everyone is going through so much trouble.
The biggest trouble is that on an M3 you need to unscrew 2 extra bolts that hold the oil cooler, so you can get extra clearance.

From post #76 picture #1 - on my tensioner that hole actually went through, I just used a screw driver to pull down, then pushed it in and it jams it open, so you can work with no pressure on the line. (I don't remember if it was the same on an M54, but it was the same on an M43...

10 minutes at most for this job if you just jack one corner of the car and do it from the bottom.

Edit:
Here's an excellent picture of the belts:

My Ride: 2002 M3C

Last edited by NikolaiD; 09-27-2009 at 02:54 AM.
NikolaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #86
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Did the belts on my '00 323i (built July 00) manual this morning. Probably worth mentioning:

- There were four rivets on the intake muffler, not three. Not hard to spot, but it's worth looking if you're doing this job for the first time
- My water pump / ps / alt belt tensioner took ~9mm hex drive, not 8mm. I used an 8mm without damage, but the proper size is always better. If you're unsure, buy the sockets from Sears and return the ones you don't use.
- My A/C tensioner was indeed a T-50 (not T-55/T-60/T-65)
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #87
CHFBrian

My Ride: 2001 330i
Just changed both belts this weekend. I got myself the fan clutch holder tool, but not the open-ended wrench. I figured I'd be able to find one locally. What ended up happened is that I borrowed a 32mm wrench, but it was too fat for the holder tool to fit in at the same time. I just used the mallet method instead, which worked great.

The rest of the belt replacement went off without a hitch. A local mechanic wanted a few hundred dollars to do it - I got better parts at half the price and saved a couple of hundred on labor. It felt great
CHFBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #88
jabela

My Ride: 2002 325ci
I took the belt off my 325ci and checked the waterpump by spinning it with my hand. It basically spun about a quarter turn fairly easily, but after that it becomes noticeably harder to turn (I'm guessing because now it's starting to pump coolant).
Is that normal? I'm not sure what it should feel like and I'm trying to figure out if it needs replacing.
Any thoughts?
thanks.

Also, on a side note, everyone seems to be sold out of the Graf metal impeller water pump. 11 51 7 527 910 GRAF
Do they make them anymore?
What's a good alternative?

2002 BMW 325ci /// Sport Pkg /// 5 spd
Modern Apothecary
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #89
queezy1

My Ride: '04 BMW 325 SMG
Thanks for the Thorough DIY!

Just took me about 30 minutes, most of which was given to the serpentine belt tensioner. It is tough, but very doable.

The fan shroud was actually super easy on my car, and the wiring harness was simple to release.

Parts at the Stealership: Both belts = under $40

Quote at my Indie Shop for Install Only = $168

So a savings of $168+ parts markup was saved here!

Thanks!

2004 325i SMG
Mods: BMW Performance Intake, Carbon Fiber Strut Bar, LED Angel Eyes, Xenesis Head/Fog Lights, Xexon Interiors, Clears all around, Matte Black Grille, M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler, Rear Tint, Black/White Roundels, Silver Trim/Knob, Silver Gauges/Rings, Aluminum Pedals, Alpine MP3 Changer, XM, GPS & Parrot Bluetooth all Hardwired, Alpine Speakers, Sub & Amps wired with Monster Connectors/Wires, Custom Sub Enclosure & Amp Rack
queezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #90
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by queezy1 View Post
Thanks for the Thorough DIY!

Just took me about 30 minutes, most of which was given to the serpentine belt tensioner. It is tough, but very doable.

The fan shroud was actually super easy on my car, and the wiring harness was simple to release.

Parts at the Stealership: Both belts = under $40

Quote at my Indie Shop for Install Only = $168

So a savings of $168+ parts markup was saved here!

Thanks!
do u have an smg trans in your 325?

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #91
queezy1

My Ride: '04 BMW 325 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
do u have an smg trans in your 325?
Yes, was an option on the '04's.

2004 325i SMG
Mods: BMW Performance Intake, Carbon Fiber Strut Bar, LED Angel Eyes, Xenesis Head/Fog Lights, Xexon Interiors, Clears all around, Matte Black Grille, M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler, Rear Tint, Black/White Roundels, Silver Trim/Knob, Silver Gauges/Rings, Aluminum Pedals, Alpine MP3 Changer, XM, GPS & Parrot Bluetooth all Hardwired, Alpine Speakers, Sub & Amps wired with Monster Connectors/Wires, Custom Sub Enclosure & Amp Rack
queezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #92
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by queezy1 View Post
Yes, was an option on the '04's.
Oh cool. I def did not know that. I knew it was an option for the 330i tho

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #93
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Could someone answer this question for me:

If belts are removed from the engine to replace the tensioners or the pullies, should the existing belts be placed back on the engine as long as they are not serverly worn? Or should new belts be placed on?
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #94
Whammy

Duplicate post FTL.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #95
kredden

My Ride: '03 330xi & Alfa's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Could someone answer this question for me:

If belts are removed from the engine to replace the tensioners or the pullies, should the existing belts be placed back on the engine as long as they are not serverly worn? Or should new belts be placed on?
Unless they are new I'd just replace them, cheap insurance. You've already done all of the work by that point.

Kevin
kredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #96
spennI

My Ride: 2004 330i
My vote: Replace belts while you have them off.
spennI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #97
Whammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kredden View Post
Unless they are new I'd just replace them, cheap insurance. You've already done all of the work by that point.

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by spennI View Post
My vote: Replace belts while you have them off.
That's what i thought. Thanks guys!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #98
Countdownbmw
Account Under Review

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6 MT, 525i
awesome diy
Countdownbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #99
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kredden View Post
If you click on picture #7 in posting #2 you can see the belt routing if you look closely (at least for a 2003 330xi, I'd assume they are all pretty close if not the same). Here is a really bad sketch of the routing.

Kevin
question how different would the diagram be if you have a s/c on it? need to do mine and i'm not sure how much more different it is from your diagram, anyone with a s/c done this before?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #100
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
take a picture of your car before undoing the belt. that is what i do for my sister's car as she has an m56 so no one has pictures of the engine on here (nor the bentley manual either for some reason)

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote