E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
kpower

My Ride: BMW 330ci Sport
changed air intake, notice ticking in engine?

Hi I have had my e46 330ci for two months now, it came with a cone filter bolted onto the air pipe so I have just changed this over for an original air intake box, car seems to be more responsive and a bit quieter which I like. Now to the point, with the bonnet up and engine running I can hear a ticking or tapping sound coming from the engine just to the left of the air box, tappets or injectors maybe? just wandered if tthis was normal or someth8ng to worry about? Car is still under warranty. Thanks for your help Kev
kpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Search Vanos.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Stop using mobil 1 and all will be good.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
kpower

Thanks will look into vanos. Not sure what oil is in at the moment, was serviced just before I got car but will get it changed to control.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
romancommander

My Ride: 2002 325i
Maybe a wire or something being touched a bit by the fan blades?
romancommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
kpower

It seems to be doing it at same speed as car revs, not very loud but there. Had a look through a lot of vanos sections but don't seem to have any other symptoms. maybe take it to garage next weekend and see what they say.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Disa.

Search what it is,then replace it.

Vanos has a ratteling sound when bad,NOT a ticking sound.

I strongly disagree that the problem is intake related. You had the car for a few months and simply didnt notice it before

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
kib

My Ride: bmw 04 e46 330 vert
not sure if this any help but it could be the icv near the maf.
kib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
kpower

Never noticed before as not spent much time under bonnet with engine running and after doing the air box it seems quite abit quieter, you have to listen carefully for it when bonnet is closed. Am searching different problems to try find out way it could be.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpower View Post
Never noticed before as not spent much time under bonnet with engine running and after doing the air box it seems quite abit quieter, you have to listen carefully for it when bonnet is closed. Am searching different problems to try find out way it could be.
Have you searched DISA?

IMG_1725
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
fdriller9

My Ride: '06 AW E90 330xi
Maybe it's your valve lifters on your exhaust side? I had to have mine replaced on my N52. But it's been a problem on previous BMWs as well. I recently got my engine head replaced under a TSB, covered by CPO, becasue the new part has a check valve to maintain pressure.

Does the noise go away after driving for about 15-20 minutes (after the oil has reached operating temps)?
fdriller9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
+1 disa. Stick hose in ear as stethoscope to isolate ticking sound...but sounds like classic disa.

D

and I'm on phone, so if I wrote something stupid, it might just be the phone!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Maybe it's your valve lifters on your exhaust side? I had to have mine replaced on my N52. But it's been a problem on previous BMWs as well. I recently got my engine head replaced under a TSB, covered by CPO, becasue the new part has a check valve to maintain pressure.

Does the noise go away after driving for about 15-20 minutes (after the oil has reached operating temps)?
Please get your E90 crap out of this.

E46 never had the ticking lifter problem, unlike the E90, which are getting their heads replaced everyday by the dozen. Factory out of spec valve lifters are only E90 problem.

IMG_1725
Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
colo330xi

My Ride: 01 330xi
+1 on checking the DISA. Easy to check at least.

I have to recommend everyone have a mechanic's stethoscope, a maybe $10 tool to be able to pinpoint noise sources.
colo330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
kpower

Thanks for your suggestions. Have been looking into disa, in certain threads I think it could be that then others not. I have no other symtoms apart from the ticking, is there a thread anyone can suggest with definite symptoms for disa? First time in 5 years I have a car I care about so think for the next week I will be doing a lot of reading and trying to learn about the engine.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #16
dmax

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. Have been looking into disa, in certain threads I think it could be that then others not. I have no other symtoms apart from the ticking, is there a thread anyone can suggest with definite symptoms for disa? First time in 5 years I have a car I care about so think for the next week I will be doing a lot of reading and trying to learn about the engine.
Disconnect, remove two screws, remove disa and look. If the valve is loose, there you go. Some 'fix' it with epoxy, but I think that's probably not the way to go...though perhaps with right epoxy and right technique, you could save yourself some $...the risk is metal parts flying into engine.

I don't believe that the ticking can be removed by just cleaning, but I could be wrong...of course...I'm an 'internet guy' so the odds are that I am.

Hold a hose in your ear (if you don't have official mech's stethoscope) and the other end near the disa...you'll know if it's that or not very clearly. Any hose will do, but something like a garden hose section about 5' long works great! (Personally, I use flexible 1" electrical conduit!)

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 01-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #17
Bimmerci330

My Ride: 02 330CI 3 Pedals :)
Send a message via AIM to Bimmerci330
I guess it depends on how loud you are talking about. BMW injectors are pretty loud compared to other cars. When I got mine I thought there was something wrong also, I asked my brother (he has owned 3) and also a Tech and they both said it was normal.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #18
kpower

I am an electrician so I will get some conduit tomorrow and have a listen. The ticking is not very load, with bonnet closed it is barely noticeable. I had BMWs 10 years ago, e30 320 and 323 and they both had noisey tappets and my dealer told me not to worry about it, did not know if e46 were natural tappy?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #19
dmax

Quote:
I am an electrician so I will get some conduit tomorrow and have a listen. The ticking is not very load, with bonnet closed it is barely noticeable. I had BMWs 10 years ago, e30 320 and 323 and they both had noisey tappets and my dealer told me not to worry about it, did not know if e46 were natural tappy?
Don't recall if you'd said, but what oil are you using? Many here, it seems, have had tapping that was greatly minimized by changing to a different oil...mostly from an incorrect oil to a proper one.

But, it really sounds like DISA.

Doug

Old 01-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #20
kpower

Not sure on oil as was serviced just before I got the car, will get some Castrol or some from the dealer this week and give it a change next weekend. Will also pick up a workshop manual so I can have a better idea of what I am looking for and how to do thing myself.