E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #2081
TKC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Jose, CA & Dallas, TX
Posts: 20,233
My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
You didn't say how many miles on the car.

Be sure you have all OEM parts, especially the sensors. Even aftermarket crankcase vent valves fail in a few days.

You didn't mention replacing the fuel filter. That could be it.

A failing camshaft position sensor would likely cause more symptoms.

The vanos seals are a good candidate.
Be sure to also install the rattle kit. The 323 is susceptible to a vanos rattle.
160,000 miles.
Yes, all parts are oem from dealer.
I'll give the fuel filter a shot. after the pressure tester giving normal readings, I initially ruled out fuel up to the rail.
Thanks for the advice.
__________________
EUROPROJEKTZ - Director, NorCal Chapter
TKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #2082
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,846
My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
160,000 miles.
Yes, all parts are oem from dealer.
I'll give the fuel filter a shot. after the pressure tester giving normal readings, I initially ruled out fuel up to the rail.
Thanks for the advice.
Just so you'll know, a complete fuel delivery system check includes a volume check, not just a static pressure check.
Don't hold me to this, but I recall that you'd expect to see a gallon in a minute.

I had an idle hiccup too, and I have a manual. I installed both vanos fixes and the hiccup decreased lots. But I still see one once in a while.

Last edited by Stinger9; 03-22-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #2083
Rajaie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,272
My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Just so you'll know, a complete fuel delivery system check includes a volume check, not just a static pressure check.
Don't hold me to this, but I recall that you'd expect to see a gallon in a minute.

I had an idle hiccup too, and I have a manual. I installed both vanos fixes and the hiccup decreased lots. But I still see one once in a while.
Try slightly crimping the vanos solenoid cable connector pin receptacles.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #2084
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,846
My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
Try slightly crimping the vanos solenoid cable connector pin receptacles.
Thanks for the tip.
I don't recall what this electrical connector looks like. Is this easily accessible and intuitively obvious, or would it require a bit of disassembly to properly access the receptacles?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #2085
Rajaie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,272
My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Thanks for the tip.
I don't recall what this electrical connector looks like. Is this easily accessible and intuitively obvious, or would it require a bit of disassembly to properly access the receptacles?
Pretty easy. You simply remove the solenoid connector and tighten the connector pin holes. Use a strait pick or such. Only slightly crimp.
You are simply tightening the connection between the cable and solenoid connectors.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #2086
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
I am finally going to do the vanos seals, and I have a couple of questions. Honestly, I didn't go though all 100 pages of the thread, it might have been discussed earlier but I just need to know the parts I will be needing.
Not sure if the seals has been done yet, I get no rattle and I bought the car used. But I would definitely want to get better mpg and better lower torque response.
I am getting a VCG leak so I am thinking to do the VANOS seals along with it, while I am there.

Does the double Vanos seals kit include everything I need or do I need to order: a vanos gasket, $7, and two oil hose washers, $0.50(these are mentioned in beisan systems website but doesn't say where to get them from) separately?
Any help would be great.

Might do this with a local fanatic so ordering 2 sets and doing it together. Just a little nervous since I am going to see the inside of the engine in my car for the first time and will know now how the PO treated it and I will have another car with an open engine next to me to compare with.

Thanks
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #2087
Rajaie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,272
My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I am finally going to do the vanos seals, and I have a couple of questions. Honestly, I didn't go though all 100 pages of the thread, it might have been discussed earlier but I just need to know the parts I will be needing.
Not sure if the seals has been done yet, I get no rattle and I bought the car used. But I would definitely want to get better mpg and better lower torque response.
I am getting a VCG leak so I am thinking to do the VANOS seals along with it, while I am there.

Does the double Vanos seals kit include everything I need or do I need to order: a vanos gasket, $7, and two oil hose washers, $0.50(these are mentioned in beisan systems website but doesn't say where to get them from) separately?
Any help would be great.

Might do this with a local fanatic so ordering 2 sets and doing it together. Just a little nervous since I am going to see the inside of the engine in my car for the first time and will know now how the PO treated it and I will have another car with an open engine next to me to compare with.

Thanks
You do need to get the vanos gasket and two oil hose washers.
You can buy these and other parts from your BMW dealership.
You can also buy BMW parts online.
Here's a dealership that sells online for good discounts.
www.getbmwparts.com
Here's a good retailer that specifies if a manufacturer is OEM.
www.rmeuropean.com

Good luck on the repair and let me know if you have any questions.
You are always welcome to call during the repair.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #2088
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
You do need to get the vanos gasket and two oil hose washers.
You can buy these and other parts from your BMW dealership.
You can also buy BMW parts online.
Here's a dealership that sells online for good discounts.
www.getbmwparts.com
Here's a good retailer that specifies if a manufacturer is OEM.
www.rmeuropean.com

Good luck on the repair and let me know if you have any questions.
You are always welcome to call during the repair.
Do you mean I do not need the mentioned vanos gasket and the two oil hose washers for this DIY(replacing VANOS seals) at all?
Where(what/when) are these parts used?

I am asking this because I have ended up ordering wrong and unnecessary parts many times, so just wanted to make sure before I jump into it and end up short of parts.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #2089
Rajaie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,272
My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Do you mean I do not need the mentioned vanos gasket and the two oil hose washers for this DIY(replacing VANOS seals) at all?
Where(what/when) are these parts used?

I am asking this because I have ended up ordering wrong and unnecessary parts many times, so just wanted to make sure before I jump into it and end up short of parts.
You do need to purchase the vanos gasket and two oil hose washers. They are needed and are not part of the Beisan seals repair kit.

The vanos gasket is used when remounting the vanos onto the engine head.
The two oil hose washers are used when remounting the oil hose onto the vanos.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #2090
trj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,925
My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
You do need to purchase the vanos gasket and two oil hose washers. They are needed and are not part of the Beisan seals repair kit.

The vanos gasket is used when remounting the vanos onto the engine head.
The two oil hose washers are used when remounting the oil hose onto the vanos.
Thanks Rajaje, cleared all my questions. Will get the list sorted out soon and make the purchase.
__________________
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #2091
ummwillprince
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Walnut Creek
Posts: 58
My Ride: 2003 330i
Beisan seals to rebuild vanos and VCG was a success! Thanks Raj! Think I did notice it a little more responsive and better gas mileage.

I bought the car at 112k miles and the intake/exhaust pistons did seem really loose.

For me the hard part was getting the electrical connector on the camshaft position sensor off, my valve cover was leaking and got oil over it and hardened. I had to use a pair of vice grips to crush the tabs and yank it out, but it seems ok, nothing wrong with performance and no codes thrown.
ummwillprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #2092
Rajaie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,272
My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummwillprince View Post
Beisan seals to rebuild vanos and VCG was a success! Thanks Raj! Think I did notice it a little more responsive and better gas mileage.

I bought the car at 112k miles and the intake/exhaust pistons did seem really loose.

For me the hard part was getting the electrical connector on the camshaft position sensor off, my valve cover was leaking and got oil over it and hardened. I had to use a pair of vice grips to crush the tabs and yank it out, but it seems ok, nothing wrong with performance and no codes thrown.
Congrats on the repair!
Thanks for the feedback!
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #2093
e46hellrot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: inside my bmw
Posts: 403
My Ride: e46
i just have mine done. after i got my vanos done i was gunning it and pushing it; is that bad?
__________________
e46hellrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #2094
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,846
My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46hellrot View Post
i just have mine done. after i got my vanos done i was gunning it and pushing it; is that bad?
Not at all if you have a jump car!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #2095
TR4G-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,135
My Ride: '01 325xi
got this kit back in October, but I have yet to install it! I'm going to tackle it along with my VCG and possibly sparks this weekend. Just finished up changing the oil, oil filter, and oil level sender. Still have to pick up some brake cleaner and RTV sealant. When the instructions say to coat the pistons in engine oil, should i buy a quart of bmw engine oil for this?
__________________
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #2096
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,846
My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
got this kit back in October, but I have yet to install it! I'm going to tackle it along with my VCG and possibly sparks this weekend. Just finished up changing the oil, oil filter, and oil level sender. Still have to pick up some brake cleaner and RTV sealant. When the instructions say to coat the pistons in engine oil, should i buy a quart of bmw engine oil for this?
When you need to oil up the pistons, you'll do fine with about a thimble full spread around with your finger.
If you have a quart of oil for your next change, just crack the cap on that. Type of oil is not critical here. Just want to avoid assembly dry.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #2097
Rajaie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,272
My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46hellrot View Post
i just have mine done. after i got my vanos done i was gunning it and pushing it; is that bad?
That's actually good for breaking in the new seals.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #2098
ExitBuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Suburban Philly, PA
Posts: 94
My Ride: 2008 335i Vert
I am going to do the vanos thing as PM as my completely stock '04 just turned 70k. While I am doing this, what else can I/should I do as PM? I suspect at least a new valve cover gasket.
ExitBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #2099
Rajaie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,272
My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitBuddy View Post
I am going to do the vanos thing as PM as my completely stock '04 just turned 70k. While I am doing this, what else can I/should I do as PM? I suspect at least a new valve cover gasket.
Replace valve cover gaskets and 15 bolt grommets.
Replace sparkplugs. Use NGK Iridium.
Replace belts and tensioners and idler. If hydraulic alt belt tensioner then just replace pulley.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #2100
ExitBuddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Suburban Philly, PA
Posts: 94
My Ride: 2008 335i Vert
Any of the cooling system bits? Water pump? I'm doing the oil housing gasket, too (leaking).
ExitBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vanos

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use