E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #2201
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
No radical tips. Just follow the instructions that you should have memorized before you did the gasket the first time.
Clean the head, clean out the valve cover; dry well.
put sealant on both surfaces where instructed where they mate.
Tighten the nuts evenly and use new rubber gaskets. Do not overtighten.

Good luck. sorry you have to do the job twice.
yeah it felt like it was sitting a bit funny back there when I went to tighten it up, I sort of had a hiccup when I was seating the cover and I may have tweaked it. I pull it apart tomorrow, it shouldn't be too bad just for the valve cover. I did vanos, oil change and new brakes today, so if my hands still work tomorrow, I should be able to bang it out in about an hour.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #2202
FM3T10

My Ride: E46
I was pretty set forward on doing this to my car, but now I'm debating whether or not I'm even going to keep it. I'm scared it'll end up being a lemon, my main concern being the subframe.

Sigh..

But basically before/if I do proceed with this repair, I want to verify that I have the correct symptoms. Basically my car is doing what the car in the earlier video did, except for the loud rattle towards the end.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #2203
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by FM3T10 View Post
I was pretty set forward on doing this to my car, but now I'm debating whether or not I'm even going to keep it. I'm scared it'll end up being a lemon, my main concern being the subframe.

Sigh..

But basically before/if I do proceed with this repair, I want to verify that I have the correct symptoms. Basically my car is doing what the car in the earlier video did, except for the loud rattle towards the end.
Just kinda thinking out loud here tonight are we?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #2204
FM3T10

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FM3T10 View Post
But basically before/if I do proceed with this repair, I want to verify that I have the correct symptoms.

Quote:
Just kinda thinking out loud here tonight are we?
I guess I should've added that I've got a friend who believes the vanos seals won't fix my issue, therefore I'm just trying to get a second opinion.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

Last edited by FM3T10; 04-22-2012 at 01:14 AM.
FM3T10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #2205
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
Raj - great write up. a couple of questions/comments...

when you have the vanos disassembled in the pictures, you have removed one of the sensors. I didnt see it in the instructions, although I may have missed that step.

Also, I would recommend changing the order so that the first thing you do once you get the VCG off and the old gasket out is seat the new one back in the vcg so it gets a chance to 'form' to the vcg before installation. I think that would have solved the issue I had with it ripping/pinching as it wasnt seating very 'tight' in that spot. After I pulled the cover off this morning, it was considerable more form fitted. I havent run the car yet, waiting for the RTV bead I put down to cure.

Lastly, you should incorporate a section culled from any of the forms on best practices when the VCG is super brittle so you dont get parts into the valvetrain. My sparkplug caps were rock hard and breaking into little pieces when I went to remove them. I found that pulling the caps from the inside of the cylender seemed to help separate them in one piece, but the parts in the middle were much more difficult. I wound up stuffing shop rags into the cavities around the cylendars to hopefully catch the plastic, but somoene must have a better idea....

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #2206
Stinger9

Nope, shop rags are the best solution. Tried and true for generations!
Seen in all the best homes.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #2207
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Did today. No codes yet (only drove a few miles). I am leaking from the rear valve cover. Any tips before I pull it apart and reseat it? Also how long do most people go before they throw codes
Sorry for the late reply.
Don't be too concerned about the leak for now. Drive the car for a few days and see if it resolves. I've had this happen almost every time.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #2208
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Raj - great write up. a couple of questions/comments...

when you have the vanos disassembled in the pictures, you have removed one of the sensors. I didnt see it in the instructions, although I may have missed that step.

Also, I would recommend changing the order so that the first thing you do once you get the VCG off and the old gasket out is seat the new one back in the vcg so it gets a chance to 'form' to the vcg before installation. I think that would have solved the issue I had with it ripping/pinching as it wasnt seating very 'tight' in that spot. After I pulled the cover off this morning, it was considerable more form fitted. I havent run the car yet, waiting for the RTV bead I put down to cure.

Lastly, you should incorporate a section culled from any of the forms on best practices when the VCG is super brittle so you dont get parts into the valvetrain. My sparkplug caps were rock hard and breaking into little pieces when I went to remove them. I found that pulling the caps from the inside of the cylender seemed to help separate them in one piece, but the parts in the middle were much more difficult. I wound up stuffing shop rags into the cavities around the cylendars to hopefully catch the plastic, but somoene must have a better idea....
The vanos in the pictures was one I had lying around and it didn't happen to have a sensor. You don't need to remove the sensor.

Placing the gasket in the cover ahead of time won't do much.
Your gasket formed well into the cover because it had been under pressure and heat.

I do have the following note in the procedure.
"Note: If gasket is stuck to engine head, attempt inserting blade between gasket and head from an edge (putty-knife). This facilitates gasket removal without breaking plasticized brittle gaskets into pieces."
I know this is not enough but I don't know that there's a good solution and this is not the focus of the procedure. In most cases the gasket will leak pretty bad and get replaced before it gets that hard.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #2209
2Low328CI

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328CI
Re: vcg pieces in the drive train

Stuff with rags, or use a shop vac if it's really plasticised. That way the pieces get sucked up as you scrape.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App
2Low328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #2210
Rajaie

Heating the dry gaskets with a heat gun will likely help.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #2211
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I bought new seals for the vanos solenoids as I think one of them is leaking. Now reading this thread, it seems like this might be difficult. Rajaie, taking off both solenoids--difficult? I think you mentioned you'd need a special deep socket for one?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #2212
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I bought new seals for the vanos solenoids as I think one of them is leaking. Now reading this thread, it seems like this might be difficult. Rajaie, taking off both solenoids--difficult? I think you mentioned you'd need a special deep socket for one?
I've not heard of the solenoid O-rings leaking.
Is this the intake or exhaust side?
Have you cleaned off the oil and verified the source of the leak?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #2213
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
I just done my Vanos seals myself. So far I can feel a little bit of difference in power.

I can answer any questions with the DIY.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #2214
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Let me know if you find a socket that fits. I've bought/returned 3. Including the one mentioned in this thread. Not deep enough to pull it off. I know I could easily do it if I removed the vanos again. That's the plan if it comes to that, but I don't want to have to buy a new VCG just to clean the solenoid. Too many small expenses right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #2215
Stinger9

I'd doubt you'll find a deep socket that will ever fit over the vanos solenoid. Special factory tool if any.
I seem to recall that it can be done with an open ended spanner wrench, and that it was a 32 mm size. Don't have my micrometer with me to measure tonight.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #2216
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Quote:
I'd doubt you'll find a deep socket that will ever fit over the vanos solenoid. Special factory tool if any.
I seem to recall that it can be done with an open ended spanner wrench, and that it was a 32 mm size. Don't have my micrometer with me to measure tonight.
What is this talk about vanos solenoid? I didn't have to do that when doing my vanos seals 3 days ago.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #2217
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
What is this talk about vanos solenoid? I didn't have to do that when doing my vanos seals 3 days ago.
was it really that much of an enigma to go all the way back to post #2211 to find out the answer to your question?
want me to do it for you?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #2218
miaM7

My Ride: 04 325i Sp
Just finished the Vanos DIY on my 325i. The original seals were plastic, unreal ! dont understand how people could strip/break the Vanos reverse torx T30 screws. there was very easy to remove.

Car fired up with no issues, I'll report back in few weeks or when i experience a difference in performance !

All in all, a very well detailed DIY. Great job Rajaie !!!
miaM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #2219
Stinger9

Very easy to remove IF you turn them in the correct direction!

Easy to twist off if you apply more and more torque to loosen them in the wrong direction.

You should feel a difference immediately.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #2220
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaM7 View Post
Just finished the Vanos DIY on my 325i. The original seals were plastic, unreal ! dont understand how people could strip/break the Vanos reverse torx T30 screws. there was very easy to remove.

Car fired up with no issues, I'll report back in few weeks or when i experience a difference in performance !

All in all, a very well detailed DIY. Great job Rajaie !!!
Congrats on the repair!
Thanks for the nice comment on the procedure.

Tags
vanos