E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #2281
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I will make a diy video solidjake style!!
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #2282
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHackem View Post
Hello Raj,
I just received mine a few days ago, talk about lighting speed shipping!!! I have the instructions printed in color, yes all 55 pages of them. Just waiting on a free weekend now to install. I will post back my results. I'm a bit nervous after checking out the Vanos Forum and reading some peoples issues after the install. HOPEFULLY everything will work out. My car runs fine right now and I sure would hate for something to screw up after installing these rings.
You should keep in mind that most posters on the vanos forum have a problem and are looking for help. This is a small percentage of people who perform the repair.

The common problem after the repair is an old almost failed crankcase vent valve fails. This valve and its 4 associate hoses usually last ~80-90k miles. If yours is older than this it might fail after the repair.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #2283
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
You should keep in mind that most posters on the vanos forum have a problem and are looking for help. This is a small percentage of people who perform the repair.

The common problem after the repair is an old almost failed crankcase vent valve fails. This valve and its 4 associate hoses usually last ~80-90k miles. If yours is older than this it might fail after the repair.
I've installed 15 Beisan kits. I had a problem with ONE car (my current ZHP). It had an exhaust solenoid crap out on me. $40 for a used replacement and the car purrs like a kitty again. This is top notch stuff and Rajaie has the best DIY ever made on his website.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #2284
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
Thanks, I'm feeling a lot better about it now. Its On.....

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #2285
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Rajaie, thanks again! Received my seals in two days after ordering them. I will try to install them on Wednesday and report back with my findings.
One of your excellent vids to go along with the install??
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #2286
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Thumbs Up

My CPS exhaust side was also leaking oil when i removed the connector..
I noticed the car feeling very weak.. Talked with Raj and i replaced the sensor with an OEM one and the car is fine.. Actually i changed both cps intake & exhaust.. I wanted to do it sometime as preventative maintenance, so i did it now..
Thanks again Raj!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #2287
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
My CPS exhaust side was also leaking oil when i removed the connector..
I noticed the car feeling very weak.. Talked with Raj and i replaced the sensor with an OEM one and the car is fine.. Actually i changed both cps intake & exhaust.. I wanted to do it sometime as preventative maintenance, so i did it now..
Thanks again Raj!
Welcomed! Glad to be of help.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #2288
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Rajaie, thank you for creating these seals to replace the crap that was put in from factory. Many many thanks.

Alrighty, it took about four hours taking my sweet time to do the seals. I know second time around it will be sub-three hours.

Here is what I notice already after 5 miles driving around my neighborhood.

- Quieter start-up (deepness in the exhaust went down a bit)
- Idle on first start was holding 1,000 rpm for thirty seconds then held a nice smooth idle at 700 rpm
- When braking, the rpm was staying low
- When in park, revving up a bit and letting go of the gas, the needle did not jump back up. It dropped quick, and slowly went to idle. Not a sharp drop with a bounce back off the 500 rpm mark
- On my way back home and the car being warmed up fully I gave it some decent amount of gas. The rpm went to 4000 rpm very quickly with zero lag, super smoothness and less resistance.
- The pistons with the old seals were floating around so much in the vanos unit. With the beisan systems they were in there firm with zero play

I HIGHLY suggest that you all do your seals if you have not. Shipping was extremely quick for an incredible product.

Few quick tips is to have a lot of towels ready, you will be basically have oil covered hands the entire time. Buy new vanos bolts, all gaskets, everything that was mention on the site for the job. The vanos unit will be packed with oil, so once you have it covered in a bag to put it down try to have maybe a cooking tray that's 2" deep to put the vanos in so all of the oil can get off.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #2289
lui328i

My Ride: 99 Bmw 328i
does any one know the demension on 99 e46 vanos seal o rings, i have axis to viton orings all sizes and want to replace seals
whatsthe deminsions
lui328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #2290
Rajaie

Quote:
Rajaie, thank you for creating these seals to replace the crap that was put in from factory. Many many thanks.

Alrighty, it took about four hours taking my sweet time to do the seals. I know second time around it will be sub-three hours.

Here is what I notice already after 5 miles driving around my neighborhood.

- Quieter start-up (deepness in the exhaust went down a bit)
- Idle on first start was holding 1,000 rpm for thirty seconds then held a nice smooth idle at 700 rpm
- When braking, the rpm was staying low
- When in park, revving up a bit and letting go of the gas, the needle did not jump back up. It dropped quick, and slowly went to idle. Not a sharp drop with a bounce back off the 500 rpm mark
- On my way back home and the car being warmed up fully I gave it some decent amount of gas. The rpm went to 4000 rpm very quickly with zero lag, super smoothness and less resistance.
- The pistons with the old seals were floating around so much in the vanos unit. With the beisan systems they were in there firm with zero play

I HIGHLY suggest that you all do your seals if you have not. Shipping was extremely quick for an incredible product.

Few quick tips is to have a lot of towels ready, you will be basically have oil covered hands the entire time. Buy new vanos bolts, all gaskets, everything that was mention on the site for the job. The vanos unit will be packed with oil, so once you have it covered in a bag to put it down try to have maybe a cooking tray that's 2" deep to put the vanos in so all of the oil can get off.

Congrats on the repair and thanks for the very nice feedback and support!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #2291
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lui328i View Post
does any one know the demension on 99 e46 vanos seal o rings, i have axis to viton orings all sizes and want to replace seals
whatsthe deminsions
Each vanos piston seal is a two ring apparatus. There is an outer Teflon ring that facilitates low friction reciprocation and an underneath O-ring that energizes the Teflon ring to cause a tight seal between the Teflon ring and cylinder wall. The seal rings reside in a small piston groove.
The seal O-ring is what fails, but it's not practical to remove and reuse the Teflon ring as it and the piston will get damaged in the process.
Viton O-rings are relatively inexpensive, but the Teflon ring has to be custom made and in this case uses a special high grade carbon filler.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #2292
Stinger9

See lui328i, there's no escape!

Or do you have a big pile of teflon O-rings lying around too?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #2293
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
I will make a diy video solidjake style!!
Not sure if srs, but that would be awesome!

I plan on doing this once I hit 100k, so you have time
Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #2294
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My friend wants me to do the seals on his car so at that point I will make a vid. I couldn't do it this time since I was doing it alone
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #2295
Stinger9

Shoulda said something if you needed someone to hold the camera

BTW: done it before myself, so coulda added to the knowledge pool too.
Did rattle kit too.

Last edited by Stinger9; 07-25-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #2296
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Lmao, I'd rather make sure I did the job right the first time so the second time when I make the vid I don't screw up anyone.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #2297
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Noticing the car pulling more into higher speeds without having to press down as much as before. RPM range moving more freely
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #2298
Rajaie

Quote:
Noticing the car pulling more into higher speeds without having to press down as much as before. RPM range moving more freely
Thats it! Enjoy!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #2299
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

I only drove like 100 miles, mostly highway and I notice the improvements. Is the city driving going to add even more improvements due to the lower rpm and torque range?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #2300
Rajaie

Quote:
I only drove like 100 miles, mostly highway and I notice the improvements. Is the city driving going to add even more improvements due to the lower rpm and torque range?
City driving will break in the seals better and you could get more improvements.

Tags
vanos