E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #221
2003330i

My Ride: SC'330izhp,09 335i,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan3er View Post
If you click on his website and go to the vanos forum, you will see that a few people have already done the install.

I will be purchasing a modified vanos (to elinitate zhp vanos rattle) that already has the seal kit installed
from where are you going to be purchasing a modified vanos? what rattle noise are you talking about?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #222
jsonli

My Ride: 04 330ci TiAg
I have a 04 330ci 6 speed how do I diagnose if I have this problem or not... as I still have warranty.
jsonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #223
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicB. View Post
Rajaie, I am thinking about doing this. I realize that you wrote no gains were present on the dyno. Any reason why this might be? Is it because once the seals heat up, they start "working" again? Just wish there was some way to know if was worth taking the whole vanos apart.
I don't know why the significant performance improvements weren't showing up on the dyno. As I noted this is a sore point for me. I spent significant effort and money on this.
The vanos seal O-rings turn into plastic. There is no heating them up to work better.

The vanos seal O-rings are fully damaged in 20k miles. Numerous owners have now performed this repair and they have all noted significantly loose piston seals fit and significantly damaged O-rings. In virtually all cases the O-rings were fully plastic.

The only definitive way to diagnose the vanos is to remove it from the engine and inspect it. There is no reason to attempt a vanos diagnosis. They are all failed. This is a fact.

On the 99-00 M52TU engines with the cold weather cold start idle jolts the intake (or exhaust) vanos solenoid electrical connector can be disconnected. The idle jolts will stop. This is proof it's the failing vanos causing the problem. In every case, replacing the vanos seals solved this problem.

Repairing the vanos repairs the failing variable valve timing system. VVT is a powerful feature and will provide significant performance improvements.

Hope this helps.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #224
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003330i View Post
from where are you going to be purchasing a modified vanos? what rattle noise are you talking about?
E46 ZHP cars have a rattle that comes from the vanos. Dr Vanos (drvanos.com) modifies the vanos to address the rattle. He also installs new Beisan seals.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #225
abeaujuin

My Ride: BMW?
My was plastic too...

When i took mine out they were plastic too. I thought they were supposed to be plastic, until I saw the one I was going to put in was rubber.
abeaujuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #226
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonli View Post
I have a 04 330ci 6 speed how do I diagnose if I have this problem or not... as I still have warranty.
As noted there is no definitive way to diagnose the failing seals without removing the vanos from the engine. The seals are fully failing in 20k miles.
It will be difficult for you to convince BMW to replace your vanos. Even if they do you will get the same Buna O-rings and they will fully fail again in 20k miles.

At 60-80k miles you need to replace your valve cover gaskets. This is a good opportunity to replace the vanos seals as it is only ~1.5 hours labor extra.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #227
FSUmac

My Ride: 2001 330i
Rajaie,

I will be performing this procedure tomorrow night/Saturday. I can't wait to see the results.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #228
FSUmac

In the 'parts needed' portion of the DIY, it lists:

If radiator overflow hose clamp original, need replacement small hose clamp.

At what step is this clamp removed and is it 100% necessary to go buy a new clamp? I do not have this clamp in my possession right now so I would have to go back to the dealer. Any idea on the part number? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #229
Toxic0n

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Once I receive the seals, I'm going to do them and some other maintenence on the car. Does it look about right in this order? Should I seafoam after I do the seals?

Seafoam
VANOS seals
oil change
coolant flush
spark plugs

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK, 2-way Compustar
Clear turn signals, LED license plate lights, LED tails, 3000k HID fogs, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #230
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
i would do seafoam first and then change all the other things...start fresh after the seafoam
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #231
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
I don't know why the significant performance improvements weren't showing up on the dyno. As I noted this is a sore point for me. I spent significant effort and money on this.
The vanos seal O-rings turn into plastic. There is no heating them up to work better.

The vanos seal O-rings are fully damaged in 20k miles. Numerous owners have now performed this repair and they have all noted significantly loose piston seals fit and significantly damaged O-rings. In virtually all cases the O-rings were fully plastic.

The only definitive way to diagnose the vanos is to remove it from the engine and inspect it. There is no reason to attempt a vanos diagnosis. They are all failed. This is a fact.

On the 99-00 M52TU engines with the cold weather cold start idle jolts the intake (or exhaust) vanos solenoid electrical connector can be disconnected. The idle jolts will stop. This is proof it's the failing vanos causing the problem. In every case, replacing the vanos seals solved this problem.

Repairing the vanos repairs the failing variable valve timing system. VVT is a powerful feature and will provide significant performance improvements.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the feedback. I really want to do this. I am a little hesitant just because it seems complicated. But when I think about it, as long as the instructions are there, it's like building a lego set when I was a kid...haha.

My DIY experience: plugs, all my oils, coolant flush, steering coupling fix, fuel filter replacement, Camshaft position sensor replacement, intake disassembly (up to throttle body) and reassembly, taking apart the entire glovebox to replace the final stage resistor, fixing window regulators and vapor barriers, etc. Think I will have any issues tackling this or do you think that level of DIYness will be enough?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #232
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUmac View Post
In the 'parts needed' portion of the DIY, it lists:

If radiator overflow hose clamp original, need replacement small hose clamp.

At what step is this clamp removed and is it 100% necessary to go buy a new clamp? I do not have this clamp in my possession right now so I would have to go back to the dealer. Any idea on the part number? Thanks.
This clamp is on the E39 and not the E46. I need to clarify this in the procedure. Thanks for pointing it out.

Good luck on the repair and let us know.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #233
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicB. View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I really want to do this. I am a little hesitant just because it seems complicated. But when I think about it, as long as the instructions are there, it's like building a lego set when I was a kid...haha.

My DIY experience: plugs, all my oils, coolant flush, steering coupling fix, fuel filter replacement, Camshaft position sensor replacement, intake disassembly (up to throttle body) and reassembly, taking apart the entire glovebox to replace the final stage resistor, fixing window regulators and vapor barriers, etc. Think I will have any issues tackling this or do you think that level of DIYness will be enough?
With your experience this repair will be no problem. It looks more complicated than it is. Most owners have noted this.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #234
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
Once I receive the seals, I'm going to do them and some other maintenence on the car. Does it look about right in this order? Should I seafoam after I do the seals?

Seafoam
VANOS seals
oil change
coolant flush
spark plugs
Do the seafoam first.
The oil next to flush out the seafoam in the oil.
It's best to replace the sparkplugs during the vanos repair. The coils will be removed.
It doesn't mater at what order the coolant is done.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #235
FSUmac

Quote:
This clamp is on the E39 and not the E46. I need to clarify this in the procedure. Thanks for pointing it out.

Good luck on the repair and let us know.
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #236
Toxic0n

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Quote:
Do the seafoam first.
The oil next to flush out the seafoam in the oil.
It's best to replace the sparkplugs during the vanos repair. The coils will be removed.
It doesn't mater at what order the coolant is done.

Good luck!
Thanks

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK, 2-way Compustar
Clear turn signals, LED license plate lights, LED tails, 3000k HID fogs, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:23 AM   #237
2003330i

Quote:
E46 ZHP cars have a rattle that comes from the vanos. Dr Vanos (drvanos.com) modifies the vanos to address the rattle. He also installs new Beisan seals.
are you talking about the rattle noise under heavy acceleration?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #238
Rajaie

Quote:
are you talking about the rattle noise under heavy acceleration?
As far as I know it doesn't need to be under heavy load. The rattle usually occurs around 2k RPM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #239
2003330i

Quote:
As far as I know it doesn't need to be under heavy load. The rattle usually occurs around 2k RPM.
if i dont have any of these codes coming up, should i do this? i have about
80k miles on a zhp. is the install done the same way if you were supercharged?

P1520 (BMW 104, 0x68): B (exhaust) Camshaft Position Actuator (faulty reference value).
P1523 (BMW 106, 0x6A): B (exhaust) Camshaft Position Actuator Tight or Jammed (mechanically stuck).
P1397 (BMW 18, 0x12): Camshaft Position Sensor B (exhaust) Circuit.
The Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is a common failure. But if replacing the exhaust CPS (w/ OEM CPS) doesnít work then itís likely the vanos failure.

i have about 80k miles on a zhp. is the install done the same way if you were supercharged? i do here something like its rattleling but it sound like its from my intake manifold but i could be wrong.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #240
Rajaie

Quote:
if i dont have any of these codes coming up, should i do this? i have about
80k miles on a zhp. is the install done the same way if you were supercharged?

P1520 (BMW 104, 0x68): B (exhaust) Camshaft Position Actuator (faulty reference value).
P1523 (BMW 106, 0x6A): B (exhaust) Camshaft Position Actuator Tight or Jammed (mechanically stuck).
P1397 (BMW 18, 0x12): Camshaft Position Sensor B (exhaust) Circuit.
The Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is a common failure. But if replacing the exhaust CPS (w/ OEM CPS) doesnít work then itís likely the vanos failure.

i have about 80k miles on a zhp. is the install done the same way if you were supercharged? i do here something like its rattleling but it sound like its from my intake manifold but i could be wrong.
The vanos seals are significantly failing in 20k miles. Replacing them will provide significant performance improvements. Your seals are badly damaged.

Only a few owners end up experiencing the listed codes.

The install should be the same regardless of the mods.

Tags
vanos