E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:45 AM   #101
silver330ciman

My Ride: TiAg 330CI TS1
Alright, I just ordered a set from the beisan website.

Rajaie,
I saw a post regarding possible need for the camshaft lock tool. What do I need to be careful with in order to do this myself without that tool? Your DIY seem pretty straight forward.

Sig by hi its me alec
silver330ciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:35 AM   #102
se93

My Ride: BMW 328ci AW MTECH2
I just placed an order for the vanos seals kit. I will post before and after results once it is installed.

Happy New Years to everyone!

Regards,
Mark Perez
Import Performance
Old 12-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #103
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver330ciman View Post
Alright, I just ordered a set from the beisan website.

Rajaie,
I saw a post regarding possible need for the camshaft lock tool. What do I need to be careful with in order to do this myself without that tool? Your DIY seem pretty straight forward.
You do not need the camshaft lock tools and there is nothing you need to be worried about regarding the timing. Nothing in the procedure comes anywhere close to disturbing the timing.

To disturb the timing you would need to dismount the timing chain sprockets. This takes torx sockets that most owners donít possess.
To disturb the timing you would need to undertake a deliberate informed effort to accomplish it. Itís not going to happen by mistake!
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #104
328iBMW

My Ride: C320
For the holidays, I drove from my home in DC to SC, where I replaced the vanos rings and gaskets. I got 31mpg on the way down, and 34 on the way back.

I highly recommend this kit after using it for a few days. Just have all of the tools, and take your time.

J
Old 12-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #105
silver330ciman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
You do not need the camshaft lock tools and there is nothing you need to be worried about regarding the timing. Nothing in the procedure comes anywhere close to disturbing the timing.

To disturb the timing you would need to dismount the timing chain sprockets. This takes torx sockets that most owners don't possess.
To disturb the timing you would need to undertake a deliberate informed effort to accomplish it. It's not going to happen by mistake!
You should checkout a thread started by a DIYer who recommends the camshaft lock tool to get this done, and how difficult the procedure was. All the replies thereafter were something like how they are now going to have a mechanic work on it. That's why I asked the question. Want to be certain before I do this myself. Your DIY seem very well written and I really can't see how a lock tool is needed. It certainly looks much easier than installing a supercharger anyhow. Thanks for the clarification.

Sig by hi its me alec
Old 12-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #106
nect e46

My Ride: 328i
silver330ciman, if your referring to the one I started than i didn't mean to discourage you. Like i said in the thread, this can be a simple although time consuming DIY. There is nothing difficult about it.......if everything goes as planned. I just noticed some other problems which needed fixing, that's what made this a PITA. Again, you don't NEED the camshaft tool, I just don't like going near the cams w/out it. It would take some serious f-up to disturb the timing, it's just my preference to use it. It really isn't hard and the difference is night and day.

'00 328 ~ 317 on Gray
nect e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #107
silver330ciman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nect e46 View Post
silver330ciman, if your referring to the one I started than i didn't mean to discourage you. Like i said in the thread, this can be a simple although time consuming DIY. There is nothing difficult about it.......if everything goes as planned. I just noticed some other problems which needed fixing, that's what made this a PITA. Again, you don't NEED the camshaft tool, I just don't like going near the cams w/out it. It would take some serious f-up to disturb the timing, it's just my preference to use it. It really isn't hard and the difference is night and day.
Thanks for the explanation! Nothing like hearing this from the very person who did it. Makes me feel much better about doing this soon.

Sig by hi its me alec
Old 12-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #108
328iBMW

My Ride: C320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iBMW View Post
For the holidays, I drove from my home in DC to SC, where I replaced the vanos rings and gaskets. I got 31mpg on the way down, and 34 on the way back.

I highly recommend this kit after using it for a few days. Just have all of the tools, and take your time.

J
Here's some pics from my install FYI:

Please notice that I am very hansome, even though I've put on a good 20 lbs this year.

My "pick tool" was a sharpened nail that you see below. my rings were so brittle that all I had to do was tap the nail into the rings with the wire cutters that you see, and they snapped.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #109
babyboo3

My Ride: 2002 325ci sport
Will be ordering a set soon and was just wondering if my car codes p0171,p0174,p0313 and p0313pd are related to the vanos problem? and since my dad is a mechanic and owns his own shop my vanos repair will be FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! = )---------
babyboo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #110
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboo3 View Post
Will be ordering a set soon and was just wondering if my car codes p0171,p0174,p0313 and p0313pd are related to the vanos problem? and since my dad is a mechanic and owns his own shop my vanos repair will be FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! = )---------
You have lean mix codes and a misfire due to lean mix.
Here are some possible culprits.
Vacuum leak, often the CVV and associated hoses.
Dirty or failing MAF sensor. Take it out and spray clean it with CRC MAF sensor cleaner.
You might have a fuel delivery problem, like a dirty fuel filter. Check the fuel pressure.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:10 AM   #111
babyboo3

o and i have installed a new kn cold air intake sys with a new MAF. Is the intake a possible "culprit"?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #112
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboo3 View Post
o and i have installed a new kn cold air intake sys with a new MAF. Is the intake a possible "culprit"?
If the onset of codes is coincident with the CAI install, then you know where they came from. You might have created a vacuum (intake) leak in the process. But also the existence of the CAI can create the problems you have. The MAF/DME are not tuned to work with a CAI and are often overwhelmed and do not adjust well. At least thatís my take on it.

You can take out your CAI, put back the OEM, and see if the codes resolve.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #113
babyboo3

hhhhhmmmmm should I go to bmw repair center with my kn intake still installed to see what the problem is or take it off?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #114
GWU_Greek
Banned

My Ride: 325
i just did the vanos seal repair. took me 12 hours. a little long but not bad for a girl w/o any mechanical experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	254481  
GWU_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #115
dblockboy

My Ride: 328ci
whats up guys. i think i might have the vanos problem also, have a 328 ci 2000
when i start up the car the rpm drops under 1000 and then it feels like it gives itself gas and goes above 1000 rpm again, it does it about 15-20 times sometimes the car shuts off maybe 1 out of 15 times, is it the vanos or something else?
dblockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:05 PM   #116
ducati000

My Ride: 328ci
When i do the vanos seals is their anything else i should change not related to the vanos since the car is apart.
ducati000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #117
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockboy View Post
whats up guys. i think i might have the vanos problem also, have a 328 ci 2000
when i start up the car the rpm drops under 1000 and then it feels like it gives itself gas and goes above 1000 rpm again, it does it about 15-20 times sometimes the car shuts off maybe 1 out of 15 times, is it the vanos or something else?
Yep, you have the classic 99-00 M52TU vanos failure symptoms.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #118
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati000 View Post
When i do the vanos seals is their anything else i should change not related to the vanos since the car is apart.
The main item to consider replacing is the valve cover gaskets and grommets. There is no extra effort to replacing them. These gaskets last ~60k miles. If you have 40+k miles you should consider replacing them. If you have 80+k miles, it is a requirement to replace them. Otherwise the old seals might leak after being disturbed during the repair.
The parts and replacement are covered in the vanos procedure as optional.

It is also quite convenient to replace the sparkplugs while the coils are removed. I need to add this to the procedure as an optional repair.

Removing the fan/shroud allows access to several maintenance items.
The belts can be replaced. The belt tensioners and idler can also be replaced.
The cooling system can be overhauled. This includes the radiator, upper/lower hoses, thermostat, expansion tank. Of course the coolant needs to be flushed in the process.

The vanos repair is a significant effort. The fan/shroud are not so difficult to remove and replace, especially once the owner performs it once and becomes comfortable with the technique. The process is documented well in the vanos procedure. Thus it might be prudent to not add more items to the repair session and keep the belts, tensioners/idler, and cooling systems components for another repair session.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #119
E46Tom

My Ride: 2011 e90M
I think me and a friend will be undertaking this project soon, but i figure take the easier route and buy the drvanos assembly. How much time do you think it would save by replacing whole assembly instead of seperating it all? thanks for great write up.
E46Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #120
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Tom View Post
I think me and a friend will be undertaking this project soon, but i figure take the easier route and buy the drvanos assembly. How much time do you think it would save by replacing whole assembly instead of seperating it all? thanks for great write up.
Maybe an hour.

Thanks for the kind support.

Tags
vanos