E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #1201
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgTouring View Post
Finished with my seals install and VCG yesterday. Rajaie helped me a ton when I over-torqued a stud into the engine block. He sent me the proper diagrams and part numbers, and even sent me some nuts in the mail to help with the install. Huuuge help, I could not have done it without him. He even gave me his number and talked me through some steps. Got a call from him last night because he wanted to make sure the install went well. Great guy

After I installed, I threw some small codes, but after driving hard for 50 miles, they are gone. Car idles much better, and I can really feel increased power. MPG will certainly increase too...I can now cruise on the highway going 80 and get 30 mpg. It was more like 27 before.

This is a great install, and I would recommend it to anyone!
Thanks for the kind words and nice feedback. Glad it all worked out!
Congrats on the performance improvements. Drive the car hard to break in the seals and achieve further benefits.
Enjoy the new ride!
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #1202
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
'05 ZHP with about 70,000 miles on her

Horrible rattle at exactly 2,000 RPM
Burning Oil

Just ordered my set for the double vanos, gonna do the install next week sometime, looking forward to seeing some good results, just kinda concerned about the codes I've been seeing being thrown after the install.....
Don't worry about any of the codes that might show up. They are all easy to deal with. I'll be glad to help.
Good luck on the repair and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #1203
Fatman123

My Ride: 3
Heh, I got my Beisan Systems vanos seals upgrade/repaired done recently. After about 250 miles break-in, I was like , that thing really finally worked. Then over 700 something miles it seems to be working even a little more . Thanks to Rajaie for exposing stupid BMW for getting cheap on the oem vanos seals - thinking nobody will find out about that little part inside that when broken still work, but just not as good .

Last edited by Fatman123; 01-01-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Fatman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #1204
BEK

My Ride: BMW 328iA Touring
Did my Vanos seals yesterday - easy job, even though it was -8 degrees celcius! Instructions are very easy to follow, and it really isn't that difficult - looks like a bigger job, than it is.

I had the problem with almost stalling at cold engine, and that problem is gone now. Performancewise I don't feel any changes, but I've only done 20Km's driving.

For some reason I was a bit concerned how difficult the fan would be to dismantle, but that went straight off, no problem. Instead it was the valve cover gasket, that was worse than expected. I guess it had been there since the car was made 10 years ago (and done 162.000Km) because it was rock solid - it's a wonder I didn't have any leaks

Finally it paid off, that I bought that small torque spanner a couple of years ago
BEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #1205
AEmedic

My Ride: 2008 528i
Send a message via Yahoo to AEmedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEK View Post
it was the valve cover gasket, that was worse than expected. I guess it had been there since the car was made 10 years ago (and done 162.000Km) because it was rock solid - it's a wonder I didn't have any leaks
Mine was the same, might as well be plastic. Mine did leak and it took allot of effort to get the VCG off of the cover.
I was having some hesitation and surging that seems to be gone now!

2008 528i - Deep Green Metallic
AEmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #1206
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman123 View Post
Heh, I got my Beisan Systems vanos seals upgrade/repaired done recently. After about 250 miles break-in, I was like , that thing really finally worked. Then over 700 something miles it seems to be working even a little more . Thanks to Rajaie for exposing stupid BMW for getting cheap on the oem vanos seals - thinking nobody will find out about that little part inside that when broken still work, but just not as good .
Congrats on the repair!
Thanks for the nice feedback.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #1207
Rajaie

Quote:
Did my Vanos seals yesterday - easy job, even though it was -8 degrees celcius! Instructions are very easy to follow, and it really isn't that difficult - looks like a bigger job, than it is.

I had the problem with almost stalling at cold engine, and that problem is gone now. Performancewise I don't feel any changes, but I've only done 20Km's driving.

For some reason I was a bit concerned how difficult the fan would be to dismantle, but that went straight off, no problem. Instead it was the valve cover gasket, that was worse than expected. I guess it had been there since the car was made 10 years ago (and done 162.000Km) because it was rock solid - it's a wonder I didn't have any leaks

Finally it paid off, that I bought that small torque spanner a couple of years ago
Congrats on the repair!
Thanks for the feedback. The valve cover gaskets are made of the same material as the vanos seal O-rings that fail. Glad you were able to deal with removing the valve cover and gaskets.
Drive the car hard to break in the seals and achieve performance improvements.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #1208
BigStoke

My Ride: 2000 E46 328i
Rajaie,

Does the vanos rattle sound like ticking? Sometimes when I start my car, cold or warm, it makes a ticking sound. It doesnt sound like a rattle to me, but I have never listened to the engine in the area of the vanos. I already ordered the vanos seal kit from you and dont want to tear into it twice. Also does anyone have video of the vanos rattle w/ sound? Thanks in advance!!

BigStoke
'00 328i
'07 CBR1000RR
'05 Altima SE 3.5
'73 K20 4X4

- Stoke
BigStoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #1209
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStoke View Post
Rajaie,

Does the vanos rattle sound like ticking? Sometimes when I start my car, cold or warm, it makes a ticking sound. It doesnt sound like a rattle to me, but I have never listened to the engine in the area of the vanos. I already ordered the vanos seal kit from you and dont want to tear into it twice. Also does anyone have video of the vanos rattle w/ sound? Thanks in advance!!
The E46 328i does not usually experience a vanos rattle. I've heard from 328i owners that a ticking/rattle that occurs at cold start then goes away is resolved by the seals install.
Search youtube for vanos rattle and you'll find plenty of videos.
You likely only need the seals.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #1210
BigStoke

My Ride: 2000 E46 328i
Rajaie, man your the best!!! Thx alot man!

BigStoke
'00 328i
'07 CBR1000RR
'05 Altima SE 3.5
'73 K20 4X4

- Stoke
BigStoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #1211
BEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
Mine was the same, might as well be plastic. Mine did leak and it took allot of effort to get the VCG off of the cover.
I was having some hesitation and surging that seems to be gone now!
I used about 45 minutes to get it off - how did you get yours off ?

I took a stanley knife with a really hard blade, pushed/forced it through the gasket, and took a little piece at a time. Originally I didn't plan to clean the cover as it seemed okay, but the "rubber" was so brittle that it came off in small flakes. I didn't manage to get one single piece longer than 1/4" off, at a time

Thankfully the old gasket was stuck to the cover, and not to the actual engine - that would have been a big mess!

Still, I'm thinking about doing a premature oil change because of this stupid gasket. I'm not 100% sure that nothing went down the engine... stupid choice of materials.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #1212
BEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
Congrats on the repair!
Thanks for the feedback. The valve cover gaskets are made of the same material as the vanos seal O-rings that fail. Glad you were able to deal with removing the valve cover and gaskets.
Drive the car hard to break in the seals and achieve performance improvements.
I drive a Steptronic - it's not used to be driven hard

I could definately feel the difference in the new and old seals when I had the Vanos unit on the table - it's obvious that the old seals couldn't seal anything!

I can't help wondering what insane amount of BMW's that has this problem without knowing it!

By the way; Thanks for the great instructions and the intiative to get this problem fixed. The complete repair, including cleaning the tools and workspace, took me a little less than six hours.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #1213
AEmedic

My Ride: 2008 528i
Send a message via Yahoo to AEmedic
Quote:
I used about 45 minutes to get it off - how did you get yours off ?

I took a stanley knife with a really hard blade, pushed/forced it through the gasket, and took a little piece at a time. Originally I didn't plan to clean the cover as it seemed okay, but the "rubber" was so brittle that it came off in small flakes. I didn't manage to get one single piece longer than 1/4" off, at a time

Thankfully the old gasket was stuck to the cover, and not to the actual engine - that would have been a big mess!

Still, I'm thinking about doing a premature oil change because of this stupid gasket. I'm not 100% sure that nothing went down the engine... stupid choice of materials.
I had a little more luck than you did, mine came off in sections a few inches long, but some of it I had to pry out with my scrapper. Your right though, I'm glad it didn't stick to the head. I changed my oil soon after the VANOS seals due to the potential FOD in the engine.

Rajaie - Awesome product, went for a drive today and it just gets better and better!

2008 528i - Deep Green Metallic

Last edited by AEmedic; 01-01-2010 at 06:49 PM.
AEmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #1214
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
I had a little more luck than you did, mine came off in sections a few inches long, but some of it I had to pry out with my scrapper. Your right though, I'm glad it didn't stick to the head. I changed my oil soon after the VANOS seals due to the potential FOD in the engine.

Rajaie - Awesome product went for a drive today and it just gets better and better!
Congrats on the repair. Glad you worked through the VCG.
Glad to hear you're receiving performance benefits. Have fun driving hard and continuing to receive further improvements!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #1215
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
got my gaskets like 4 months ago.. i stored my car last month and started to take apart the engine.

Is it o.k for me to do this repair while the car is in storage.
I'm not going to be able to drive the car for at least 3 months.
does it matter the seals are gonna be there without being driven hard
Another BM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #1216
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #1217
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another BM View Post
got my gaskets like 4 months ago.. i stored my car last month and started to take apart the engine.

Is it o.k for me to do this repair while the car is in storage.
I'm not going to be able to drive the car for at least 3 months.
does it matter the seals are gonna be there without being driven hard
Sure, no problem.
Good luck on the repair!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #1218
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
I got the rest of my non-seal parts in the mail today so i should be doing this on monday
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 AM   #1219
scintilla

My Ride: E46 330i
I did my seals and bearing rings last weekend, and I'm happy with the result. My 01 330i had 50k miles in it and was doing okay, but I did it anyway.

There's a lot less engine ping noise during low-rev accel after the repair, and the performance is slightly improved. There used to be a flat spot around 2000rpm when the engine was cold and I was light on throttle. The engine would rev up to that point and then hesitate unless I stepped hard on the gas. After the repair, the flat spot is completely gone.

Rajaie, thanks for the great product. The instructions are really detailed and nicely arranged. I had my Bentley beside me during the repair just in case but I never had to open it.
scintilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #1220
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
Hey so i need to order a VCG
But i dont know which one i need.. i can't figure out the >< stuff..

I got a 2001 bmw 330ci.

Do i need part number
11-12-9-070-990
Or
11-12-0-030-496
Another BM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vanos