E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #1841
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Since about January 2011, my gas mileage has been slightly lower with the new VANOS seals than it was before. But put on new front tires in December and put roof rack back on around February, which increases air resistance. Then there's that California winter gas blend and the colder weather. Also my O2 sensors were getting old... had 135,000 miles when I bought the car, around 145,000 when I changed the VANOS seals.

Last night put in newer pre-cat O2 sensors which supposedly have only 20,000 miles on them. Will track mileage to see if it improves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
Just checking back in a few months after doing my VANOS seals. I track gas mileage with every tank and the mileage post VANOS seals repair is about 0.4 mpg higher than pre-VANOS seals repair. However this is not a scientific comparison because of several reasons:
  • Went to the track more often (4 days) than before VANOS seals (2 days). Typical mileage on the track is 11-12mph.
  • Took roof rack off car shortly after doing VANOS seals
  • California gas stations probably switched to winter blend gas, which might reduce mileage

I drove the car for 8 or 9 months before replacing seals and only 3 months after. Will continue to monitor mileage into the summer driving season and report back. Maybe put the roof rack back on.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #1842
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Since about January 2011, my gas mileage has been slightly lower with the new VANOS seals than it was before. But put on new front tires in December and put roof rack back on around February, which increases air resistance. Then there's that California winter gas blend and the colder weather. Also my O2 sensors were getting old... had 135,000 miles when I bought the car, around 145,000 when I changed the VANOS seals.

Last night put in newer pre-cat O2 sensors which supposedly have only 20,000 miles on them. Will track mileage to see if it improves.
why do people buy used parts that are maitenance related?
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #1843
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:

What is your gas mileage? I'm getting 26.4 combined. after a ton of maintenance and triple checking everything engine wise running 93 octane gas from one of the top tier gas stations and techron every 7k miles on a full tank of gas. VANOS seals were by far the best 60 dollars and 3 hours of my time ever spent on fixing/modifying a car ever. Instant gratification!

Last edited by new//M3fan; 05-21-2011 at 12:47 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #1844
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
Because not everyone has the cash surplus you do.

My Ride: E30, E90, E90M, E46
Old 05-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #1845
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Sometimes just out of convenience. I was initially going to install the O2 sensors that came with my euro headers since it would've been convenient, but I suspect that they have more miles on them then the seller implied - so I just overvnighted new O2s from Amazon since they're pretty cheap there.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-21-2011 at 01:33 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #1846
LivesNearCostco

Because I'm cheap! I could buy new O2 sensors but would have cost me about $250 for a pair from AutoHausAZ, as I didn't know back then they were only $100 each on Amazon.com. Could I afford two new O2 sensors? sure, but the $175 I thought I was saving at the time is the cost of 1.5 AutoX events ($65 per event + gas + tire wear), and other mods are waiting. People put in used springs, coilovers, exhausts, strut braces, and wheels all the time.

Now of course there are limits to my cheapness. I'm "LivesNearCostco" not "LivesNear99_Cents_Only." I'm not putting any used oil, filters, brake fluid, brake pads, or bushings in my car. But I did buy used fixed camber plates. With no moving parts, it seemed the only risk to those is that I'll get frustrated and end up buy expensive adjustable camber plates later.

Quote:
Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #1847
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
This is a thread about vanos. Let's please keep it this way.
Thanks!
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #1848
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
Quote:
Please stop raising your thread count like in other threads. You are not helping.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #1849
ddombrowski

My Ride: 01 330ci 5spd
Send a message via AIM to ddombrowski
Quote:

Now of course there are limits to my cheapness. I'm "LivesNearCostco" not "LivesNear99_Cents_Only."
I'm tempted to put this in my sig. Thats hilarious.

Quote:
I'm not putting any used oil, filters, brake fluid, brake pads, or bushings in my car.
Some people on the volvo forum used to do that in the old 240s. One guys neighbor used to run Mobil 1 full synth in his benz for 5k miles. When he drained it, the guy with the Volvo 240 used it for his oil change. He figured 5k old synthetic was good enough for the old volvo.....it probably was.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #1850
Mc 007

My Ride: 325ci Performance
after change solenoids pistons and clean cams sensors my car goes better,better is the fuel consuption
Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #1851
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc 007 View Post
after change solenoids pistons and clean cams sensors my car goes better,better is the fuel consuption
Interesting.
You should get much more once you install the seals.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #1852
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Quote:
Interesting!! Very nice!! I was thinking of buying new OEM cam sensors maybe after summer as preventative maintenance, rather than cleaning them.. I ve cleaned the exhaust side while doing the seals and had the vanos removed.. I should have cleaned the intake also while i was there..
Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #1853
Mc 007

clean them and change the o-rings,the new solenoid piston spring is longer than the old one

Rajaie,your kit can be the next step
Old 05-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #1854
LivesNearCostco

Maybe I should clean my VANOS solenoid pistons too, just to see if anything improves. I always love an excuse to buy more tools! Is there anything else on the E46 that can benefit from a deep 32mm socket or 32mm combo wrench? (I have the MT, so no fan clutch.)
Quote:
Old 05-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #1855
Mc 007

clean the cam sensors and change solenoids pistons...parts prices is around 60 euros in Italy
Old 05-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #1856
istmirwurst

My Ride: 330Ci
Can someone give some dimensions of this 'deep 32mm' socket that's required to do the VANOS seals? (e.g. depth, maximum wall thickeness)

I'm planning to do my seals on the wkd, but I don't want to go out and buy a socket today only to find out halfway through the job on saturday while i'm stranded without a car that the "deep" socket I bought wasn't quite deeeeep enough. Or it has too thick walls and won't fit in....

Freude am Fahren....
istmirwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #1857
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by istmirwürste View Post
Can someone give some dimensions of this 'deep 32mm' socket that's required to do the VANOS seals? (e.g. depth, maximum wall thickeness)

I'm planning to do my seals on the wkd, but I don't want to go out and buy a socket today only to find out halfway through the job on saturday while i'm stranded without a car that the "deep" socket I bought wasn't quite deeeeep enough. Or it has too thick walls and won't fit in....
Once you remove the vanos from the car you can use a 32mm open wrench (fan wrench) to remove the solenoid. You will likely need to mount the vanos in a vise to counter hold it and will need to protect it (soft liners of cloth towel).

The 32mm deep sockets that work are the one stamped (not labeled) W155 at Advanced and Oreilly's and the CarQuest name brand one.

Good luck on the repair!

Last edited by Rajaie; 05-26-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #1858
Rajaie

Quote:
If you sprayed brake cleaner in the vanos solenoid cylinders then that would have reached the piston seals. Brake cleaner will cause the failed seal OEM Buna O-rings to swell and make them function better. This will provide improved performance. The O-rings will lose this swelling over time and the performance benefits will retract.

Brake cleaner will not affect the Beisan seal Viton O-rings.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #1859
Andy TT

My Ride: 330ci
Vanos seals solution

I did the seals on my 84k mile 2002 330CI today. It took 4 hours going really carefully and I had no real problems - sizing the seals is a bit tricky but only took about 30 minutes. The car already feels better - it actually has some torque at low revs and no longer 'bogs' when I let the clutch in at low revs. I am looking forward to putting a few hundred miles on it and seeing what its like.

Thoroughly recommend the job. The next one will be a new clutch as I think I've knackered the current one having to slip it so much to get the car off the line before I fixed the vanos!
Andy TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #1860
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy TT View Post
I did the seals on my 84k mile 2002 330CI today. It took 4 hours going really carefully and I had no real problems - sizing the seals is a bit tricky but only took about 30 minutes. The car already feels better - it actually has some torque at low revs and no longer 'bogs' when I let the clutch in at low revs. I am looking forward to putting a few hundred miles on it and seeing what its like.

Thoroughly recommend the job. The next one will be a new clutch as I think I've knackered the current one having to slip it so much to get the car off the line before I fixed the vanos!
Congrats on the repair!
Thanks for the feedback!

Good to hear you're receiving performance improvements.
Drive the car hard to break in the seals and get more.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Rajaie; 05-28-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Tags
vanos