E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #281
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
The LSD is one of my favorite upgrades. So much so, that I just put the 3.46lsd from the sedan on the wagon and bought another unit from Dan @ diffsonline. He isnt the cheapest or the most expensive...but a damn great product.

If your car was a 6spd I would say hands down the 3.46 LSD....a great improvement in acceleration and drive ability.

Not sure what your car has as final drive, but I am guessing 2.93? If so, go 3.07 or 3.15 with the LSD and you will be tickled pink
Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #282
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Got my car back today after alittle more angst......Got a call "the car is done, but it doesn't work".....I said "you have got to be f-in kidding me!"

"The clutch doesn't disengage" he said.....to my reply, "try removing the clutch stop".

It's amazing, remove the clutch stop and the car is fine! All in all, the guys who did the work are alright, a bit too alaraming in their phone calls. I gave them a box of parts and work instructions.....Sort of an odd situation for the average european garage, but they did well. Impeccable work, I'd go back, if they'll take me!

So work performed:
Install JB racing Flywheel
Clutchmaster FX300
Pilot bearing & Center shaft mount
Replaced rear main seal
Replaced input/output seals
Replaced tranny fluid with UUC's chatter-proof Redline reccomended fluids
Installed M3 Geebo (sp)
Installed 15mm spring pads under rear coils (have a slight rub on occasion, should be gone now)

Couldn't really test out the clutch with the 500 mile break-in, plus it was raining. The car definitely revs alot quicker. The pedal pressure is slightly firmer, and I do mean slightly

I don't hear any chatter!! I do feel a little chatter while slowly releasing the clutch pedal on take off while giving it very little gas. This could become next to non-existant/noticable after driving for some miles. It's definitely not an old school big block chevy chatter on engagement, it's very subtle.

As Brian recommended as a fix, I could just send my ECU back in to bump the idle up or maybe this little chatter will vanish on its own. It's definitely not a chatter noise, but a chatter feel......

More to come tomorrow if I get to drive the car depending on the weather.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #283
330i ZHP

good info - let us know after a few days

I am so tired right now from working under the car this evening..and yet, I am still looking forward to working on the engine and trans
Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #284
fmzip

It's an addiction my friend....and you have it BAD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
good info - let us know after a few days

I am so tired right now from working under the car this evening..and yet, I am still looking forward to working on the engine and trans
Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #285
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Got my car back today after alittle more angst......Got a call "the car is done, but it doesn't work".....I said "you have got to be f-in kidding me!"

"The clutch doesn't disengage" he said.....to my reply, "try removing the clutch stop".

It's amazing, remove the clutch stop and the car is fine! All in all, the guys who did the work are alright, a bit too alaraming in their phone calls. I gave them a box of parts and work instructions.....Sort of an odd situation for the average european garage, but they did well. Impeccable work, I'd go back, if they'll take me!

So work performed:
Install JB racing Flywheel
Clutchmaster FX300
Pilot bearing & Center shaft mount
Replaced rear main seal
Replaced input/output seals
Installed M3 Geebo (sp)
Installed 15mm spring pads under rear coils (have a slight rub on occasion, should be gone now)

Couldn't really test out the clutch with the 500 mile break-in, plus it was raining. The car definitely revs alot quicker. The pedal pressure is slightly firmer, and I do mean slightly

I don't hear any chatter!! I do feel a little chatter while slowly releasing the clutch pedal on take off while giving it very little gas. This could become next to non-existant/noticable after driving for some miles. It's definitely not an old school big block chevy chatter on engagement, it's very subtle.

As Brian recommended as a fix, I could just send my ECU back in to bump the idle up or maybe this little chatter will vanish on its own. It's definitely not a chatter noise, but a chatter feel......

More to come tomorrow if I get to drive the car depending on the weather.
I told you the pedal effort is only slightly increased.

Just remember that the clutch needs to be broken in properly. If properly broken in, this clutch should last you a very long time. I think Walter said it best, the clutch will either die on within the first 500 miles or it will take a very long time.

BTW, if you get a screech while you are slipping the clutch in first gear, it is normal. Walter said it usually occurs when you run the car very hard, but nothing to be alarmed about.

The chatter will not go away, but steadily increase in sound. Not much, but it is noticeable in the cabin. Some recommend the fluid mixture that UUC recommends, but I feel the slight idle shift is the way to go. However, to each their own. I am glad you are happy with car. Give us a driving impression after the 500 mile break-in.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 AM   #286
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
They actualy suggest the fluid against gearbox rattle, which is different from chatter. If I remember correctly, you have a lower mileage car, probably well maintained. That makes a huge difference. Someone who drives the heck out of their car and does a lot of engine breaking is going to have a different experience.

Glad it's working out.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #287
fmzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAed330 View Post
I told you the pedal effort is only slightly increased.

Just remember that the clutch needs to be broken in properly. If properly broken in, this clutch should last you a very long time. I think Walter said it best, the clutch will either die on within the first 500 miles or it will take a very long time.

BTW, if you get a screech while you are slipping the clutch in first gear, it is normal. Walter said it usually occurs when you run the car very hard, but nothing to be alarmed about.

The chatter will not go away, but steadily increase in sound. Not much, but it is noticeable in the cabin. Some recommend the fluid mixture that UUC recommends, but I feel the slight idle shift is the way to go. However, to each their own. I am glad you are happy with car. Give us a driving impression after the 500 mile break-in.
Brian.....glad you mentioned this screeching sound. I get an odd sound on occasion at like 2500 RPM's in second gear when getting into it a bit. This freaked me out. Sounds like a freight train for a few seconds, not a screech.

So what is the proper break in procedure?? The instructions state normal driving and no compression braking. What is normal to some is aggressive to others?? Can I get on it a bit or not?

And what is "compression braking"?? Is that hard down shifting?
Also, who is Walter? Thanks for the help
Old 05-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #288
fmzip

Also called Clutchmaster....they said the more stop and go for the first 500 miles the better. The suggested being very gentle, shifting at 3000 RPM's. or whatever is normal, basically no hard shifting or winding up the RPM's. The also said the vibration on take off will get worse before it gets better. As long as it doesn't last, that's all I hope for.

According to Clutchmaster, the freight train noise I described is probably just a vibration which is no longer absorbed with the LW flywheel vrs a dual mass unit. If I baby the car, this sound doesn't exist.....

I guess I will just have to see how it goes until the clutch is properly broken in. I can deal with a little chatter but odd sounds like I describe, be it very short, may be an issue for me if they exist indefinitely.

Wondering if this was the right decision.....time will tell.

I do not have any gear box chatter, thats the good news. Maybe the fluid took care of it? I have about 69K for miles on the car

Last edited by fmzip; 05-21-2008 at 10:39 AM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #289
fmzip

Brian,

Question way too late......did you have your setup balanced before installation?? I didn't think about this before the fact, I hope it wasn't necessary!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #290
HighBoostin330

Quote:
Brian.....glad you mentioned this screeching sound. I get an odd sound on occasion at like 2500 RPM's in second gear when getting into it a bit. This freaked me out. Sounds like a freight train for a few seconds, not a screech.

So what is the proper break in procedure?? The instructions state normal driving and no compression braking. What is normal to some is aggressive to others?? Can I get on it a bit or not?

And what is "compression braking"?? Is that hard down shifting?
Also, who is Walter? Thanks for the help
What is this odd sound at 2500RPM? Could you possibly take a video of this? I only get a screeching sound at takeoff, if at all, which is about 1000-1500RPM. After that, it is quiet and OEM like.

I just drove my car a lot in city driving. It allows for low speeds and lots of shifting. I tried not to go over 4k or go WOT, but I also had a newly assembled engine too.

Compression braking sounds to me like engine braking, where you would use the compression of the engine to slow the car down. That is just my guess.

Walter is the owner of VMWERS, who I used to install my TS3 kit.

Quote:
Also called Clutchmaster....they said the more stop and go for the first 500 miles the better. The suggested being very gentle, shifting at 3000 RPM's. or whatever is normal, basically no hard shifting or winding up the RPM's. The also said the vibration on take off will get worse before it gets better. As long as it doesn't last, that's all I hope for.

According to Clutchmaster, the freight train noise I described is probably just a vibration which is no longer absorbed with the LW flywheel vrs a dual mass unit. If I baby the car, this sound doesn't exist.....

I guess I will just have to see how it goes until the clutch is properly broken in. I can deal with a little chatter but odd sounds like I describe, be it very short, may be an issue for me if they exist indefinitely.

Wondering if this was the right decision.....time will tell.

I do not have any gear box chatter, thats the good news. Maybe the fluid took care of it? I have about 69K for miles on the car
This is very odd. What vibration are you feeling? Does it feel like a shutter?

The benefit of the sprung-hub is to absorb the vibration you would feel on take off. My previous solid hub 6-puck ceramic clutch was no fun.

My first drive with the car was like stock, no shutters, no vibrations, slight increased pedal effort. As a result, I am a bit concerned for the things you are experiencing.

Quote:
Brian,

Question way too late......did you have your setup balanced before installation?? I didn't think about this before the fact, I hope it wasn't necessary!
Walter took my flywheel and clutch to the machine shop so they could balance my engine. I do not know if they balanced my flywheel and clutch independently. I remember someone doing that a while back and their Clutchmasters clutch was already perfectly balanced.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #291
fmzip

On take off, if I just let the clutch out slowly with some gas, the car shudders from the drivetrain, very minimal but it is there, both forward and reverse.

The sound at 2500RPM's only appears if I am being more than gentle with it. It's not consistent either sometimes it's there, sometimes it is not. It's deep, freight train like in nature. It sounds like a totally new octave appears which sounds like a roaring jet like "vrooooottt".

It is a sound that doesn't belong there for sure....and it's not a good "vrooooooot" either.......

There isn't a whole heck of alot involved in putting a clutch in. The sound seems vibratory like a "bass rumble".

Damn, I am sounded like some chick who is trying to describe the mystery sound to the mechanic!
I am taking off for Phoenix for the weekend tomorrow so I'll see what I can post for sound clips when I get back.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #292
330i ZHP

do you have a CAI?

the reason I ask - Navin's TS1 has a metallic screach at 2000-2500
Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #293
HighBoostin330

Quote:
On take off, if I just let the clutch out slowly with some gas, the car shudders from the drivetrain, very minimal but it is there, both forward and reverse.

The sound at 2500RPM's only appears if I am being more than gentle with it. It's not consistent either sometimes it's there, sometimes it is not. It's deep, freight train like in nature. It sounds like a totally new octave appears which sounds like a roaring jet like "vrooooottt".

It is a sound that doesn't belong there for sure....and it's not a good "vrooooooot" either.......

There isn't a whole heck of alot involved in putting a clutch in. The sound seems vibratory like a "bass rumble".

Damn, I am sounded like some chick who is trying to describe the mystery sound to the mechanic!
I am taking off for Phoenix for the weekend tomorrow so I'll see what I can post for sound clips when I get back.
I understand what you mean. It is hard to describe something. Videos are best it displays the sounds best.

There isn't a whole heck of a lot involved in putting in a new clutch and flywheel. However, you would be surprised to see who can screw it up.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #294
fmzip

Quote:
do you have a CAI?

no...stock airbox with a 1 inch hole drilled in the front by the headlight.....the sound does seem suction related in a way.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #295
fmzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAed330 View Post
I understand what you mean. It is hard to describe something. Videos are best it displays the sounds best.

There isn't a whole heck of a lot involved in putting in a new clutch and flywheel. However, you would be surprised to see who can screw it up.

really though, what can go wrong in a clutch/flywheel install....it only goes in one way. There isn't anything I check at this point without ripping the whole thing out, right?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #296
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
There were two new sounds with mine also. One of them is if I accidently slip the clutch by babying it too much when I let out the clutch. It is a bit of a screech. Sort of like a set of racing brake pads on a rotor. I think this is from the new kevlar material that the clutch is made out of and the fact that it doesn't like to slip. I don't worry about it much, it just reminds me to start shifting right.

The other one is a rumble sound from the driveline when I'm lugging it in 3rd or 4th gear and try to accelerate from around 2500rpm like you stated. I think it is just from the springs in the sprung hub trying to compress as the engine pulses and tranfering the vibration to the driveline. I don't worry about this one much either and it has actually gotten better over time.

I would recommend just driving the car and not overthinking things. The clutch chatter/shutter on takeoff and the rest of the things will get better. It just takes a while. Sometimes a long while but they will get better and soon you will love it. I had all these same worries when I first installed mine and it all turned out to be nothing more than normal break-in procedure.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #297
330i ZHP

i hope so - i hate to think i am making mine sound like something is broken
Old 05-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #298
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

My Ride: See Sig
Quote:
do you have a CAI?

Yeah, hopefully putting the stock airbox in will resolve that issue.

On a separate note, I'm thinking I might have a vacuum leak... I'm experiencing small stumbling/ rough idle for a few seconds when cold starting (only in the morning when leaving my house). One time that small stumbling/ rough idle was enough to make my car stall after cold starting.

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 2000 323i

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel
Navin323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #299
330i ZHP

you definitely cannot get in, start the car and GO...it needs to be ready to go
Old 05-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #300
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
Yeah, hopefully putting the stock airbox in will resolve that issue.

On a separate note, I'm thinking I might have a vacuum leak... I'm experiencing small stumbling/ rough idle for a few seconds when cold starting (only in the morning when leaving my house). One time that small stumbling/ rough idle was enough to make my car stall after cold starting.
We all seem to be having the rough idle at start up. Unfortunately no one has figured it out yet.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote