E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #301
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
There were two new sounds with mine also. One of them is if I accidently slip the clutch by babying it too much when I let out the clutch. It is a bit of a screech. Sort of like a set of racing brake pads on a rotor. I think this is from the new kevlar material that the clutch is made out of and the fact that it doesn't like to slip. I don't worry about it much, it just reminds me to start shifting right.

The other one is a rumble sound from the driveline when I'm lugging it in 3rd or 4th gear and try to accelerate from around 2500rpm like you stated. I think it is just from the springs in the sprung hub trying to compress as the engine pulses and tranfering the vibration to the driveline. I don't worry about this one much either and it has actually gotten better over time.

I would recommend just driving the car and not overthinking things. The clutch chatter/shutter on takeoff and the rest of the things will get better. It just takes a while. Sometimes a long while but they will get better and soon you will love it. I had all these same worries when I first installed mine and it all turned out to be nothing more than normal break-in procedure.
That makes me feel a little better.....

Back to the "noise" at 2500 RPM's, it sounds exhaust related to me. I opened the door while driving today and it seems to be coming from the muffler area. As I said, it is random and only upon load.

That little butterfly in the muffler is rattling like an SOB on idle. Maybe my muffler is on it's way out???
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #302
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
mine rattles against the rear diffuser at times
Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #303
330i ZHP

interesting thing to note for those of you with hopes of your engine lasting forever....the retaining nut on the oil pump was loose when I went to take the oil pump off the motor...I will definetely be welding the nut onto the shaft/gear
Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #304
fmzip

just curious Brian..... I don't believe I have a clutch delay valve in my car, do you still have one in yours or did you remove it?

Next time I have the car up in the air, I will check to see if one is there or not. Could be a reason I feel the shudder??

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm
Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #305
330i ZHP

i removed mine (actually I have the Zeckhausen thing) but I now have two modified CDV's that I have made myself if anyone wants to buy one
Old 05-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #306
fmzip

I was curious if Brian removed his. If he didn't, maybe that is why he isn't expiernecing any shudder in first gear.

Might take you up on the offer to buy one if I find one in there!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #307
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
just curious Brian..... I don't believe I have a clutch delay valve in my car, do you still have one in yours or did you remove it?

Next time I have the car up in the air, I will check to see if one is there or not. Could be a reason I feel the shudder??

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm
I have no CDV as when I did the manual conversion, I felt it was a useless part to install.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #308
330i ZHP

unless your car is under warranty dont bother to install a modified CDV - just remove it and move on in life
Old 05-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #309
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
unless your car is under warranty dont bother to install a modified CDV - just remove it and move on in life
with Stu.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #310
fmzip

I just ordered this, maybe this will resolve the odd vibration problem....I ordered the black one with the enforcer cup

Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #311
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
I just ordered this, maybe this will resolve the odd vibration problem....I ordered the black one with the enforcer cup
Good choice, although you had me worried there for a second with that picture - you definitely don't want the red with the TME on a street car.

Also, don't overlook your engine mounts. I'm thinking I may be replacing my engine mounts in the near future.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #312
330i ZHP

trans mount?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 AM   #313
AntB

My Ride: MTA :(
Quote:

Excellent choice, I have the black ones with the enforcers and they are awesome. Stock-like feel, without the tranny moving around like it used to.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #314
330i ZHP

do any of these trans and engine mounts transmit the vibrations into the interior? Which ones do most folks get?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #315
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
do any of these trans and engine mounts transmit the vibrations into the interior? Which ones do most folks get?
I have the UUC black mounts with the enforcer cups. Highly recommend these. No additional noise or vibration into the cabin.

I have also experimented with the red street mounts (not the red bolt through race mounts), both with and without the TME cups. Trust me, you don't want the red mounts with the TME cups as pictured above on a street car. The red street mounts alone, which are plenty stiff to not need the TME, are actually not too bad in the way of NVH. I had them on my car for a while when it was stock and it almost sounded like an exhaust upgrade inside the car. The downside was the cabin was just a bit too buzzy for me at parking lot speeds and at high rpm. I actually really liked the exhaust like growl introduced by the red mounts but eventually grew tired of the vibration, especially at the high rpm. Interestingly, I rode in AdamBath's car a while back and his red mounts were much quieter than mine. He said they were noisy like mine until he installed his headers. Go figure.

I think new engine mounts are in my future but I have no idea what I will do for this. It looks like the M3 uses a different (presumably stiffer) but compatible mount. I may pursue this.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #316
AntB

Quote:
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...22&CS=uuc&All=

These are the ones you want from the UUC store. It's the ones that I have, no vibration in the interior, one thing you will notice is slight vibration in the gear lever.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #317
fmzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I have the UUC black mounts with the enforcer cups. Highly recommend these. No additional noise or vibration into the cabin.

Interestingly, I rode in AdamBath's car a while back and his red mounts were much quieter than mine. He said they were noisy like mine until he installed his headers. Go figure.
Yep, I went wih the black ones and enforcer cups also. I also read that tightening them to the recommending 16ft lbs and no tighter is vital to avoid added vibration into the cabin

Interesting on the "cause and effect" described with the headers. I defintely think their is a certain frequency present now that the dual mass flywheel has been removed.

I also think my muffler is shot, seems awfully loud and that little butterfly flap rattles like there is no tomorrow.

Fortuantely, I picked up a ZHP muffler today from another fanatic. Has just 4000 miles on it, looking forward to having it installed!

That link to the engine mounts isn't working for me..

Last edited by fmzip; 06-02-2008 at 09:05 PM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #318
fmzip

Got the mounts, they surely are beefier! Installed them, still have the shudder and the odd noise. Shifts are much tighter, car feels more solid.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #319
AntB

Quote:
Got the mounts, they surely are beefier! Installed them, still have the shudder and the odd noise. Shifts are much tighter, car feels more solid.

Glad you like em!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #320
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Quote:

How hard are these to install? Is there a link to a DIY....too lazy to search this time