E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #81
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

My Ride: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelPhx View Post
I love seeing threads like this... DIY teaches people how to graduate from just being a driver to being a OWNER!
I don't know if I can fully agree with this statement... some people like myself aren't able to do this particular S/C DIY due to medical reasons, therefore I require assistance from a professional... I still consider myself both a driver and owner.

I have done more simpler DIY's such as interior trim install and it was very gratifying to me once I completed the project myself.

BMW Individual Atlantis Metallic Twin Screw S/C'ed 2000 323i

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel
Navin323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 AM   #82
ken330i
E46 Fever God

My Ride: F2 dumped
Send a message via AIM to ken330i
now, it makes me think whether I should DIY my future SC or not. It's always true some where in the line there's a problem or two that's so hard to figure out in most of the so called, "In depth" installation.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #83
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken330i View Post
now, it makes me think whether I should DIY my future SC or not. It's always true some where in the line there's a problem or two that's so hard to figure out in most of the so called, "In depth" installation.
Ken,

Here was my feeling on to DIY or pay a professional. From what I read on the forums, quite a number of people ran into install problems when they hired a professional. Unless I could find an installer that had experience with FI on BMW's, I was commited to DIY.

I think if you have a Bentley manual, the appropriate tools, metric hex bits, torx bits, 3/8 and 1/2in metric sockets wrenches, a real floor jack, jack stands and expereince working on cars, you can tackle it. When I say experiece, I mean experience.

Just to give you an idea of my experience, I am 41, I've pulled engines swapped trannys etc. Even with that kind of experience I was still intimidated by the pletheroa of lines, hoses and electrical connections underneath the hood of the car. The thing that I questioned was do I still have the patience to do this kind of work! The most important thing you need that you will not find in your tool box is patience and time.

Fortuantely, I have no time constraints on finishing this project which has helped me immensely. This allows me to thoroughly read and comprehend the install instructions before I proceed. I would suggest if you are contemplating a DIY, get yourself the install manual from ESS and read it over. It really is one of the most thorough install manuals I have seen. There are a few vague areas, like finding the hidden manifold bolt that I took a picture of! Other than that and the mounting of the few items I snapped pictures of, it looks alot more complicated than it really is.

We're here for ya Ken if you decide to tackle it!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #84
fmzip

Stuart.....did you find that split loom locally at a auto parts store?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #85
silver330ciman

My Ride: TiAg 330CI TS1
Nice progress. I was a bit confused about some electrical connections myself, but they all seem to match up nicely, even the couple that aren't as clearly listed in the ESS manual. Oh and I'd keep the pulley off until you're ready to put the belt in there. Keep us posted!

Sig by hi its me alec
silver330ciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #86
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin323i View Post
I don't know if I can fully agree with this statement... some people like myself aren't able to do this particular S/C DIY due to medical reasons, therefore I require assistance from a professional... I still consider myself both a driver and owner.

I have done more simpler DIY's such as interior trim install and it was very gratifying to me once I completed the project myself.
Your last sentence completely makes his point - you have the pride of knowing you did stuff to your car yourself - we ALLLLLL understand you have your limitations (I think people who dont own E46's yet know too,...jk bud). So no one is knocking you for not doing the install. But Todd is 100% right, doing it yourself and getting everything working is such a high...its incredible. I am scared and excited all at the same time about taking my engine apart soon. I will either fail and have to call on "professionals" that in the past have made matters worse - or I will be successful and be happy as a lark.

/rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken330i View Post
Do it yourself - less problems I think and if there is a problem - you will know where and what to look for instead of relying on a "professional" to fuk things up more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Ken,

Here was my feeling on to DIY or pay a professional. From what I read on the forums, quite a number of people ran into install problems when they hired a professional. Unless I could find an installer that had experience with FI on BMW's, I was commited to DIY.

I think if you have a Bentley manual, the appropriate tools, metric hex bits, torx bits, 3/8 and 1/2in metric sockets wrenches, a real floor jack, jack stands and expereince working on cars, you can tackle it. When I say experiece, I mean experience.

Just to give you an idea of my experience, I am 41, I've pulled engines swapped trannys etc. Even with that kind of experience I was still intimidated by the pletheroa of lines, hoses and electrical connections underneath the hood of the car. The thing that I questioned was do I still have the patience to do this kind of work! The most important thing you need that you will not find in your tool box is patience and time.

Fortuantely, I have no time constraints on finishing this project which has helped me immensely. This allows me to thoroughly read and comprehend the install instructions before I proceed. I would suggest if you are contemplating a DIY, get yourself the install manual from ESS and read it over. It really is one of the most thorough install manuals I have seen. There are a few vague areas, like finding the hidden manifold bolt that I took a picture of! Other than that and the mounting of the few items I snapped pictures of, it looks alot more complicated than it really is.

We're here for ya Ken if you decide to tackle it!
+eleventy millionz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Stuart.....did you find that split loom locally at a auto parts store?
Yes - the local NAPA store had the split loom and the cloth wrap
Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #87
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
Your last sentence completely makes his point - you have the pride of knowing you did stuff to your car yourself - we ALLLLLL understand you have your limitations (I think people who dont own E46's yet know too,...jk bud). So no one is knocking you for not doing the install. But Todd is 100% right, doing it yourself and getting everything working is such a high...its incredible. I am scared and excited all at the same time about taking my engine apart soon. I will either fail and have to call on "professionals" that in the past have made matters worse - or I will be successful and be happy as a lark.
I agree.

Check out my pics in my thread, Stuart... only thing that I'll need my mechanic to address is the PS reservoir tank needing to sit lower... other than that... WOW! That one word sums up how I feel right now.

SPONSORED BY: BBS | Modbargains | Toyo Tires | DPE | WheelSTO | Vorsteiner | European Auto Source | Bimmertools | GetBMWParts.com | Race Apeel
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #88
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Congrats Navin! Glad this has all come together to your satisfaction.

- oops, wrong thread!
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #89
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Congrats Navin! Glad this has all come together to your satisfaction.

- oops, wrong thread!
Thanks Darren! I'm sure Fran won't mind... we've been posting so much in each other's threads that even I get confused sometimes which thread is which, LOL.

By the way Fran, you look a lot YOUNGER than 41 (I would never have guessed that to be your age).

Old 04-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #90
330i ZHP

damn - Fran is 41 - he has me beat by a year...he does look young
Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #91
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Quote:
That new TS3 you just bought will make you look years younger too.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #92
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
Stuart here on the other hand looks old enough to be my dad... j/k.

I'm a very old 34 by the way, Fran.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #93
330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
That new TS3 you just bought will make you look years younger too.
nothing will make me look younger but losing weight and having hair replanted like a garden....

i just play like a yungun
Old 04-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #94
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Keep those dark tinted windows rolled up and nobody will know the difference. Fresh air is overrated anyways.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #95
fmzip

The winter wooly adds 10 years....I'm pretty bald underneath!

Never the else, I'll take the kudos anyway I can get them!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #96
Navin323i
Europrojektz East

Quote:
nothing will make me look younger but losing weight and having hair replanted like a garden....

i just play like a yungun
Congrats on the TS3 purchase! Was this recent?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #97
DrM3

My Ride: 08 M3, 02 IS300T
do work
Old 04-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #98
fmzip

TS3 Stuart??? Really??
Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #99
330i ZHP

yep - collecting the parts and I will pull the motor and trans after the wedding and start the tear down and re-build.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #100
fmzip

Congrats Stuart!! Is the TS3 going to be a DIY??